Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico 8 Reales from the Archer Huntington Collection

I recently had the privilege to pick up a few choice 8 Reales formerly residing with the Hispanic Society of America, on loan to the American Numismaticy Socitety, from the Archer Huntington collection. I wasn’t able to purchase any examples out of the original Huntington sale, auctioned raw by Morton & Eden in March 2013, because I wasn’t fully committed to the series at that time and didn’t have an agent to view the coins anyway. As luck would have it, a number of the 8 Reales were offered again late last year in a US Stacks auction, now encased in NGC holders and lacking any noted pedigree.

For those who care, here’s a “quick” story on Huntington, mostly summarized by me from the Huntington sale catalog.

Archer M. Huntington was either the son or step-son (it is unclear) of Collis Porter Huntington, one of the “big four” of the Central Pacific Railroad. Huntington was well educated and his interests became increasingly focused on Spain and her influence around the world, possibly first encouraged by a trip he made to Mexico City with his stepfather where they attended a state dinner. Throughout his formative years he traveled the Iberian Peninsula on his own, collecting books, manuscripts, coins, paintings, sculptures, and sometimes sponsored and participated in archaeological digs. In 1902 he acquired en bloc the unsurpassed library of Spanish literature formed by the Marquis de Jerez de los Caballeros.

Huntington was offered positions of management (by his step-father) in companies such as the Newport News Drydock and Shipbuilding company but he chose not to embark on a business career. He instead chose to keep active by studying, writing, collecting, founding and otherwise supporting institutions allied with his pursuits. Between 1897 and 1907 he received honorary degrees from Yale, Harvard and Columbia. In 1904 Huntington founded the Hispanic Society of America as a free museum and research library, fulfilling an ambition that he had harbored for half his life. He gave the Society his unparalleled collections and the means to expand, preserve, exhibit and study them. Huntington was also principally responsible for establishing the American Numismatic Society, the American Geographical Society and the Museum of the American Indian. Most of his museums and institutions were meant to preserve and present European art and literature, which he believed embodied the best of civilization.

Archer Huntington died in December 1955 at 86. The NY Times obituary described him as a philanthropist who gave away most of his wealth. “The size of the Archer Huntington fortune and the extent of his philanthropies never had been disclosed, but they were believed to have run into many millions of dollars. There was reported to be no complete list of his benefactions.” There is no biography of Archer Huntington which would probably please him as he was a very private, humble man. His legacy, however is fairly clear through his philanthropic works. He is quoted as saying “Wherever I put down my foot, a museum springs up.”

About his collection:
The collection was quite vast at over 37,000 coins. It contained Spanish coins that ranged from ancients through Imperial Spain. The collection held so many important coins that I don’t think I could begin to list them, I recommend a google search if you are so inclined.

I was able to acquire the 6 coins pictured below. These aren’t the most famous coins in his collection by any stretch, however they offered an opportunity to greatly increase the number of nice pieces in my collection and are among some of the finest coins I’ve viewed in the series wrt. eye appeal. The 1785 and 1804 are especially nice. For those unfamiliar with the Mo portrait 8R series, suffice it to say that coins of this quality don’t come along often.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the huge effort that John A. at CRO took to acquire and then cross and pedigree these coins through PCGS. I was interested in a number of other pieces that looked fine when viewing photographs but was later informed were fraught with issues and was thankfully able to avoid. Thanks again John!

Now onto the coins…

I don’t consider myself an industry insider or expert of spanish coinage - I'm sure others here can add to what I've posted above. I’d love to hear thoughts on Huntington and his collection. All comments, stories and opinions welcome.

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is.... WOW. I know little about the series yet recognize eye appeal when I see it. You are the man!
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are awesome. Gorgeous surfaces, strikes, and color. Huntington had a great eye, as do you!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Killer coins, really special stuff indeed. And a real challenge to photograph, too. Especially the 1787.

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>All I can say is.... WOW. I know little about the series yet recognize eye appeal when I see it. You are the man! >>

Ditto!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are great, thanks for sharing!

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your bar is set quite high ! ...it's great to see what's out there in this series, I'd love to have one or three 8 reales of that caliber !
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That's an excellent group, congrats.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are great, thanks for sharing!

image >>

+1
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I viewed much of the Huntington collection when Sotheby's held their sealed bid auction for the intact collection. Although I obviously didn't get to buy the collection intact, I did attend four or five of the subsequent auctions, including the Morton & Eden sale, and I bought lots of coins. There's still more to be sold, and I'm very much hoping some certain pieces make it to the auction block.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    amazing stuff and agreed the eye appeal is high on all of these - thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I logged off the forum to recharge for a couple of weeks, but this thread pulled me back in sooner than expected. Amazing pieces.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the comments.

Phil, nice work on the photography. The 1787 is certainly unique looking, wonder what that coin was stored in/near to cause the toning.

Andy, that must have been something to view the original Sotheby's sale. Not something one gets to do every day...or decade.
  • Options
    Crazy8sCrazy8s Posts: 70 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins in a series where high end undamaged coins are in very short supply. Thank you for the background info on the original collector.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific coins !
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I don't think I have ever seen one of those with as much unmolested mint surface as that 1804, really an amazing group. I suspect time will favor those kindly at rates uncommon on American coins. Well bought Dan
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Both he an you have a great eye. Lovely coins.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely wonderful coins. Congratulations!

Glad they are going to a nice home.
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Great stuff. History, pedigree, and beauty. Can't beat that.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing coins, Dan! image
  • Options
    Thought I'd add another cool story related to these coins. After purchasing the first few, I looked up the Morton and Eden catalog online and thought "it sure would be cool to have a printed copy of that catalog." I figured it was a long shot but I contacted Morton and Eden to inquire if they still had any around and if I could pay to have one shipped to the US.

Without any hesitation a very nice woman responded by asking for my address so they could send me one, free of charge. I know it's not like sending this to me will impact their quarterly budget but that's what I consider very good customer service, and I'm not even a customer. The catalog arrived in the mail about a week later.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thought I'd add another cool story related to these coins. After purchasing the first few, I looked up the Morton and Eden catalog online and thought "it sure would be cool to have a printed copy of that catalog." I figured it was a long shot but I contacted Morton and Eden to inquire if they still had any around and if I could pay to have one shipped to the US.

Without any hesitation a very nice woman responded by asking for my address so they could send me one, free of charge. I know it's not like sending this to me will impact their quarterly budget but that's what I consider very good customer service, and I'm not even a customer. The catalog arrived in the mail about a week later. >>

Cool.....!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    A wonderful write up OriginalDan! I enjoyed reading everything. Beautiful examples!! Kudos to Phil on the photography "as always!"
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great looking group imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Just wow.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceptional selection - real eye candy across the board.

• Options

Great coin Brian, I recognize some of those colors from the coins I have. I wonder what caused some of the more wild toning?

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    Great coin Brian, I recognize some of those colors from the coins I have. I wonder what caused some of the more wild toning?

100 years of NYC air & humidity. ;)

They were kept in open trays.

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Amazing group of coins.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@OriginalDan said:

100 years of NYC air & humidity. ;)

They were kept in open trays.

Makes sense, also given the variance in obverse appearances vs. a relatively similar look for the reverses.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fan flipping tastic!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......