Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official T218 set thread

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on Scott, get the Low and Weston and finish the darn thing already. image

Edited to add: A few posts back Wondo posted the results of a monster T218 submission that had these in it:

VERY GOOD 3 1910 t218 CHAMPIONS GEO. LOW GOLF Card US

VERY GOOD 3 1910 t218 CHAMPIONS EDWARD P. WESTON ATHLETE Card US
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1910 t218 CHAMPIONS EDWARD P. WESTON ATHLETE Card US
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT+ 4.5 1910 t218 CHAMPIONS EDWARD P. WESTON ATHLETE Card US

Just PM Wondo and put this baby to bed.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Nick - I've been snoozing on the set and hadn't noticed Wondo's post!

I'll see if I can take care of it now...

Scott
  • Options
    Looks like Wondo sold his big lot of T-218's, so I'm still on the hunt.

If anyone has an extra Low (golfer) or Weston (walker) to help me finish my set, shoot me a PM and let me know.

Thanks!
    Scott
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

What a weird sub. The grading was all over the place. A few examples...

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    Bryon, your grader must have been a trainee or something because Bursch and Glarner are undergraded, and Obermeyer and Sellen are overgraded.
  • Options
    Agreed. I would've put the Obermeyer and Sellen at 4. I think the Sheppard got a break as well. Six at best.

Edited to add: And they couldn't at least spot me a 5 on the Bursch? It's got a light crease and all, but criminy, that's got as much eye appeal as most 8s and 9s.
  • Options
    Wow, those are WAY off on some of those! Any back issues on the otherwise-undergraded 4's like Bursch and Glarner?
  • Options
    Just picked up a few T-219's for cheap; person was advertising them as T-218's, not that there's a huge premium for the T-219's, but they're the first ones I've got now....

• Options

No back issues on the Busch or Glarner, Scott. Nice T219 pickups...That'd be a fun but challenging set to put together someday.
  • Options
    Congratulations to Bryon on passing the 50% mark on this great set. image
  • Options

Thanks. Over the hump at last, but I've got a feeling the second half will be more challenging... and that's daunting since it seems like I've been busting my ass on this set for quite a while now.

Onward and upward, though... I've got a few more raw lined up to go to PSA soon.
  • Options

<< <i>........I've got a few more raw lined up to go to PSA soon. >>

How much of your set is self-submitted?
  • Options

Just over half. Here are the next few, all in the usual 4-5 range. The Low was cracked out of an SGC 60 holder.

• Options
    Well, my set is just about complete now!

I got the Weston card I needed in a PSA 4.5, and I have the Low in an SGC case that I'll cross over with my next sub in a couple of weeks. So within a few weeks, I can pop in a grade for the Low, and be done with the set. Then I will celebrate!
  • Options

<< <i>Well, my set is just about complete now!

I got the Weston card I needed in a PSA 4.5, and I have the Low in an SGC case that I'll cross over with my next sub in a couple of weeks. So within a few weeks, I can pop in a grade for the Low, and be done with the set. Then I will celebrate! >>

Good to hear. Congratulations in advance!
  • Options
    FINALLY!

With the addition of my final card this morning (George Low) from my sub that popped last night, I am finally 100% complete with my T-218 set! I wanted it to have a weight over 5, so at 5.08 I'm happy with it, and more importantly, done with it.

Unless, of course, I decide to bump it up by a few cards, just for the sake of passing Nick and move into 6th place..... image

It's been fun; good luck to Bryon and any others working on this set!

Scott
  • Options

<< <i>..........Unless, of course, I decide to bump it up by a few cards, just for the sake of passing Nick and move into 6th place..... image >>

Hey now........image

Congratulations on completing a great set in a very nice looking grade. Having a GPA over 5 was my goal too. I upgraded my PSA 3 Conley a little while back so now there are no cards less than PSA 4 in my set. Once you upgrade some cards and get to 5.16 you should probably stop there. image
  • Options
    Thanks Nick - 5.16 is exactly where I was planning on stopping! Or 5.18 - one of the two....

Now on to finishing off the last 10 cards I need for the T-201 set...
  • Options

Great job, Scott!
  • Options
    just added a whole bunch to my T218 registry...pretty excited to be over 60%

Rank 8
    Weighted GPA 4.165
    Complete 62.75%
    Set Rating 2.432
    Buying Vintage Boxing...especially T218 and T220..email if you have cards you would like to sell.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Lots of 7's on ebay! Don't you guys want to get competitive image

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Anyone else ever search for just "T218" on ebay and have it return results for the Victoria's Secret T218 thong?

Er, no, me neither....
  • Options
    Just cause.
  • Options
    Good timing for a bump....

I'm in the process of moving, and my wife yesterday stacked a heavy box containing her shoes on top of a box containing my T-218 set. And then wondered why I freaked out and ran over to move it???
  • Options

Picked this up with the help of a poorly-worded listing title for only $2.40 ... shipped. Not spectacular, but nice eye appeal and a near lock for a 4, I think. No wrinkles or creases.

• Options
    Lots of digging was needed to unearth this thread.

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the auction below.

For anyone looking to start or add to their set, here is a nice lot of lower grade cards already graded that might not break the bank.

eBay auction for 51 different T218 cards
  • Options

Yep. And there are also currently about a 100 SGC-graded listed individually with very unrealistic starting prices. I'd be surprised if more than three or four even get a bid.

These things have been going dirt cheap lately. I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to set my snipes on about 10 I was watching that ended a couple weeks ago. I wanted to cry when I saw what they ended up going for. I think there was a PSA 6.5 that went for less than $20.
  • Options

Whoever won the PSA 6 Flanagan... you're on my **** list.
  • Options
    Echo, echo, echo........
  • Options

Pretty beat up, but a Tolstoi's a Tolstoi.... Part of a lot of four (the rest were Mecca) I picked up for about $10.

• Options
    Nice card - I don't have any Tolstois at all, so I know how tough they can be in any condition!
  • Options
    wow Bryan, that is a steal in any condition.

BTW, how creepy is Joseph Jordan!!!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Just picked these two on Ebay last week. $30 for the front view and $34 for side view.

• Options

<< <i>wow Bryan, that is a steal in any condition.

BTW, how creepy is Joseph Jordan!!! >>

Another case of not having Tolstoi or even T218 in the listing title, etc... And, yeah, that's quite a scowl to be wearing with that outfit.

Speaking of bargains... those two Johnsons. Very nice pickups.
  • Options
    Nice pair of Jack Johnsons! Those should be $50+ at LEAST for those in nice shape like they are!

I always seemed to find the front view Johnson harder than the side view - anyone else have similar or different experience with these?
  • Options

I've been Googling the hell out of the folks on these cards again...

The Wikipedia entry on the long-distance walker Edward Payson Weston is a good one... Lost a bet on the outcome of the 1860 presidential election and had to walk from Boston to D.C. for the inaugural, but got to shake hands with Lincoln; apparently chewed coca leaves on his treks, and had his career ended in 1927 when (at about 88 years old) he was hit by a New York City taxi.... LINK

imageimage

• Options
    Bryan, that's pretty cool. I"m actually working on a book (booklet) on this set and the people picture it in. Some great stories.

• Options

Happy birthday, Johnny Hayes!

April 10, 1886 - August 25, 1965

imageimage

Here's a great article on Hayes that includes mention of Hayes being one of the first athletes to ever land a shoe-endorsement deal... LINK

And this from the Milwaukee Journal, January 28, 1944...

• Options
    Just seeing the signed Hayes picture there makes me wonder, are there any signed T218 cards known to exist?

I've yet to see any, but there easily could be some out there. Anyone have any?
  • Options

I'd bet there are a few out there, but I've never seen any.
  • Options
    Aviators are my favorite subset of the T218 set. The set was issued just 7 years after the Wright Brothers first flights at Kitty Hawk, and the flyers portrayed in the set were true pioneers. There are 4 pictured in the set- Charles Hamilton, Arch Hoxsey, Ralph Johnstone, and JB Moisant:
    imageimageimageimage

Ralph Johnstone and Arch Hoxsey were both on the Wright Brothers exhibition team. Known as "the heavenly twins" for their attempts at setting altitude records, they would both die the year the set was issued. In November '10, at a demo in Denver, Johnstone put his plane into a spiral dive that he never pulled out of, and was crushed when the plane crashed. A month later, on New Years Eve, Hoxsey crashed doing the exact same manuever.

A few hours before Hoxsey was killed he had sent a telegram of condolence to the family of JB Moisant. Moisant had been killed the same day after being tossed from his plane and landing on his head. The international airport in New Orleans was initially named Moisant Field in his honor, but was later changed to Louis Armstrong International Field. Nevertheless, the airports code is MSY, for Moisant Stock Yards.

Charles Hamilton was perhaps the luckiest of the 4, surviving 63 crashes. But he was not to live a long life, dying at the age of 28 of tuberculosis and pneumonia.

• Options

So bizarre that Moisant and Hoxsey were killed on the same day. Another interesting note about Hoxsey.... He was the pilot the first time a U.S. president (Theodore Roosevelt) flew on an airplane. Hoxsey met TR at a performance in St. Louis and asked him if he wanted to go for a ride. TR balked at first, but soon changed his mind. Apparently, the Wright brothers nearly fired Hoxsey for taking such a risk. Footage of the event... LINK

• Options
    Great stuff guys, very interesting. Reading some of the stuff you guys have posted makes it seem odd to me that the Wright brothers were left out of this set.
  • Options
    Great story on Moisant, Anthony. I've wondered before about the MSY code for New Orleans; I had no idea the answer was somehow related to our T-218 set!
  • Options
    Nick, I was thinking the same thing. How cool would that have been to have them in there. We'll have to get Keith Conforti to make a couple of cards of them with the T218 design- Tolstoi backs, of course.

• Options

Speaking of Melvin Sheppard, here he is smoking Harold Wilson in the 1500 meters at the 1908 Olympics. Useful shot, that.

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    That's a great shot of the 1908 race w/ the cards side by side depictions image
  • Options
    I agree with Jay, great stuff Bryon.
  • Options

My latest pickup (which has a decent shot at PSA 5) provides an excuse to share another article I found...

• Options

Hey Scooter, when the hell did you go from 5.08 to 5.14? Dont even think for a minute im not watching. image