Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official T218 set thread

Comments

• fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>Fandango, Roop boxes aren't hard to find if you go to the source. You just need to hit their minimum. Roop didn't manufacture anything themselves, they just bought it from the source and marked it up. >>

i was only half serious....BUT tell me more im listening...WHO IS YOUR SOURCE?
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dropped off six cards with PSA today. Five of them are cards I do not currently have in my set, and one will hopefully be an upgrade. Three were sent in on the three free gradings I received for my set reaching 75% (that will change to 90% soon, so anyone thats close, get them now), and the other three were part of my free subs for renewing my membership for a year. None of that should take too long, so I should have some scans of them for the thread in the next few weeks.
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I dropped off six cards with PSA today. Five of them are cards I do not currently have in my set, and one will hopefully be an upgrade. Three were sent in on the three free gradings I received for my set reaching 75% (that will change to 90% soon, so anyone thats close, get them now), and the other three were part of my free subs for renewing my membership for a year. None of that should take too long, so I should have some scans of them for the thread in the next few weeks. >>

Nick, good point about the free subs at 75%. Did you have to contact PSA to get these, I assume? I have yet to reach this on any sets, but another 2 cards and I'll be there for this set.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Just finished scanning my set, and the artwork never ceases to amaze me. I think the only issue that is close is the N162 Goodwins Champions.

imageimageimage

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

I had never seen any N162 cards, so I went to eBay to see what they looked like. I may be biased, but I feel that the T218's have better artwork.
    T118's are pretty nice- most probably the same artists as T218's.

imageimageimage

Those T118's are some very colorful cards indeed Anthony. Are they from 1910 as well? Do they fly under the radar like the T218's?
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭
    The T118s ARE also from 1910. For my money, that was the Golden Age of trading cards, both for sports and non-sports.... Two other under-the-radar sets from the same era that I'm into are T118 Theatres Old & New and T25 Actors. Granted, the two sets feature few people and places that are still well known, but I dig 'em, anyway. Great artwork and colors and fantastic detail...

Had 3 cards pop today (and 3 more should pop in the next couple of weeks). They are:

1910 T218 CHAMPIONS JOE GANS - EXCELLENT+ 5.5 (upgrades my PSA 4)
    1910 T218 CHAMPIONS J.J. McENTEE - VG-EX 4 (fills in an empty space)
    1910 T218 CHAMPIONS C.M. DANIELS SEATED - EXCELLENT 5 (sold to me raw by Elemenopeo - Thanks Bryon)

I will add scans once they return from PSA.
  • 1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭
    First off, many kudos to Griffins!! I purchased a raw lot from Anthony a couple weeks ago and they were fantastic....really got to upgrade a bunch of my own!! image On second note, what are opinions of SGC for getting some of the cards graded?? I know this is a PSA board but wanted opinions from you guys. I emailed them due to having a $5 non-sport special running for the entire year. They said I CAN submit the T218 cards under the non-sports special (Tolstoi backs would be more due to size differences). Opinions welcomed.

Thanks-
    Claude

It's odd that SGC would consider T218 non-sport. Anyway, I'm sure I don't have enough experience with SGC to say for sure, but it used to seem to me that SGC was a little looser on their grading of this particular series than PSA... but lately it seems PSA has loosened up a bit on it as well. So, all things being equal, $5 per sounds great. I'm too much of a uniformity freak, though, to mix SGC and PSA slabs in the same set.
    So far I have 2 experiences with cracking SGC T218's and sending them to PSA.

I had an SGC 50/4 that I cracked and sent to PSA and it came back a PSA 4.
    I had an SGC 60/5 that I cracked and sent to PSA and it came back a PSA 3.

At one point I had about 40 in SGC slabs, but the uniformity killed it for me as well. And it was just too hard finding decent ones, or often any at all.
    As far as aesthetics though, it's a no brainer. They look a whole lot better in fitted black mattes. And SGC will note the backs on the flips- PSA is probably saving that for a reholder special in a few years.

Aside from noting the backs, I like that SGC puts 1910 on the flip. Does anyone know why PSA doesn't at least put the year on the flip?

I imagine PSA doesn't put a year on the T218s and some other series from the era because it can be somewhat ambiguous as to what year exactly the series was issued. At least some of the T218s could not have been issued until 1911, for example... the back of the J.B. Moisant card notes that he was killed the last day of 1910.

Also wanted to post this scan from a current auction as an example of PSA loosening up on the T218s these days. I really think that even as recently as a few months ago this card would have struggled to even get a 5 with corners that rounded...

Ugh. I've got 4's with sharper corners.

I have a Joe Gans 5.5 that I will scan tomorrow that I think looks much better than that Walsh PSA 6.
    Here is another one from the same seller as the Walsh above. If I submitted these cards I would expect 4's and think that 5's would be miracles.

Just arrived today. It's in poor shape. BUT it's a TOLSTOI back!!!!

-Claude

Here are 2 cards I got back from PSA today. How are these card only 1/2 of a grade apart? I expected a PSA 4 on the Daniels, and a PSA 6 on the Gans.

The lower right corner looks like the issue on the Gans.
    On the Daniels, it looks like a 4 at best. Looks like standards in the grading room are definitely slipping again.

<< <i>The lower right corner looks like the issue on the Gans.
    On the Daniels, it looks like a 4 at best. Looks like standards in the grading room are definitely slipping again. >>

I agree about the Gans, but my question is how can the same grader think those 2 cards are only 1/2 a grade apart?

I'll be submitting a small bunch next week. Here are four recent pick-ups that I'm particularly curious to see how they turn out. Normally, I would say 5's across the board with the Johnstone having a darn good shot at 6, but these days... who knows.

imageimage
    imageimage
    Bryon - Why don't you try paying closer attention to centering instead of that 52/48 OC trash you're showing us. image
    Did anyone from here end up with the Jeffries PSA 7 off the Bay last night? I was at the Red Sox game and forgot to put my bid in - I thought it went pretty light at only $144...
    I have that card in a PSA 6, so I didnt want to chase a card only one grade higher. That being said, I really thought it would have sold for much more than that.
    How on earth is this card a PSA 4.5?

<< <i>How on earth is this card a PSA 4.5? >>

Great question - I thought the .5 grades were intended for cards which are nicely centered with good eye appeal? I would never have sent that card in, for fear of getting a 3 or lower.

I need that card for my set, but I'll be selling out to the registry if I go after this one....
    Half-point standards:

<< <i>While PSA graders will evaluate all of the attributes possessed by a card in order to determine if the card may be eligible, there will be a clear focus on centering. Generally speaking, a card must exhibit centering that is 5-10% better, at minimum, than the lowest % allowed within a particular grade. It is important to note that there may be cases where the overall strength of the card, such as the quality of the corners and print, will give the card the edge it needs despite the fact that it may exhibit only marginal centering for the grade. This is especially true for cards that find themselves within the bottom half of the PSA 1-10 scale. >>

Even assuming the Sutton is worthy of a 4, it beats me how it qualifies for the half-point... Obviously, the corners and centering aren't strong for the grade. The print quality is nice, but it doesn't seem like that should be enough to net the half-point... Maybe the back of the card is exceptional. image
    A week is too long to go without anything new in this thread.

Picked up a few cards last night (I think butted heads with scooter on a few), and I will post them here as new pickups when they arrive.

Well, I set a snipe of 51.15 on the Eyton PSA 7... just in case. image Didn't work out.

<< <i>A week is too long to go without anything new in this thread.

Picked up a few cards last night (I think butted heads with scooter on a few), and I will post them here as new pickups when they arrive. >>

Yeah Nick, we should coordinate on which cards we're planning on going after, so we can save both of ourselves a few bucks!

Scott

<< <i>Well, I set a snipe of 51.15 on the Eyton PSA 7... just in case. image Didn't work out. >>

The PSA 7's have been all over the board recently - I won the Eyton at $128 but wasn't sure what to expect, especially after the Jeffries PSA 7 went for only $144, but lesser PSA 6's have gone for $200. I'm getting confused, but at least I've only got about 35 cards to go until I don't need to worry about it any more!
    Scott, just out of curiosity what was your maximum on the Eyton PSA 7? My intuitions were right about the high bidder before you because I had a snipe set for $127.87 that didnt go off because you were already high with $128.38

<< <i>Yeah Nick, we should coordinate on which cards we're planning on going after, so we can save both of ourselves a few bucks!

Scott >>

I agree, but since we need a lot of the same ones, and they don't come up too often, how can either one of us ask the other not to bid on a card we both need?
    Nick,
    PM sent....

Scott

<< <i>

<< <i>How on earth is this card a PSA 4.5? >>

Great question - I thought the .5 grades were intended for cards which are nicely centered with good eye appeal? I would never have sent that card in, for fear of getting a 3 or lower.

I need that card for my set, but I'll be selling out to the registry if I go after this one.... >>

Sell out. image

Oh, snap!
    Yeah, I suck. I figured I'd grab it for $20 to fill the gap.

Crap - I guess you can now call me a registry bee-yatch...
    Added this one today. It's like he's getting ready to jump over his Grandma's laundry line in the backyard.

With 3 cards currently at PSA, and 2 raw cards I have ready to send in soon, I need just 29 more cards to complete this beautiful set.

PSA 6
    Chaz
    Shameless plug - I posted on the BST board about some PSA graded T-218's I have available for sale. Nice selection of mid-grade cards....

Link to BST posting of cards for sale
    Not so subtle trim job on this, I'd say. Not to mention a bit of back damage.

Yet, it still finds a buyer. A snipe, no less. Bidding war avoided.
  • i have 9 diferent Tolstois.......i have about 600 total t218's now and all have been purchased in groups off on EBAY over the last 2+ years.....all the tolstoi back i have are athletes.....anyone else have many more of these? they seem to be very hard to come by....the ones i have are:
    Melvin W Sheppard (Front Face variety)

Walter Bursch

W.J. Kramer

W.J. Keating

Frank Riley

Harry Sedley Jr

Harry Jensen

George J Obermeyer

James P Sullivan
    Buying Vintage Boxing...especially T218 and T220..email if you have cards you would like to sell.
    I have a Jeffries with the Tolstoi back...it's pretty beat up but I still like it (pic is posted eariler in this thread).

On a side note, I am trying to figure out what I have here. I have a Gil Nicholls golf card with a back that is totally different than normal. It doesn't even have a tobacco co. on the reverse and states "Champion Athlete and Prize Fighter" series no 2 and has a card number 63 ...please see my scan and another with a Mecca back and let me know what you think? Is mine a variation or possibly from a different set??

Thanks-
    Claude

I believe it is a T220.
    Didn't the T220's also have tobacco brands on the reverse?? I have a few of them and all have tobacco backs...plus they are a different size card too.

That's a C52, the Canadian issue equivalent of the T218s. You can always tell those by the absence of an ad on the back.

And I will use 100 to say - Don't you ever correct me again Bryon - even when I am wrong. image