Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official T218 set thread

Comments

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    How common/uncommon are the C52's in relation to the T218's??? This is the first one I have had.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Once every few months or so, I'll see one or two come up on eBay, and usually the seller doesn't know what it is, and usually it's raw and in sad shape. Last October, though, sombeody sold a bunch of PSA-graded examples... and looking at VCP... the side-views of Johnson and Jeffries went comparatively high. The PSA 4 Johnson went for $332 and the Jeffries PSA 6 for $320, but the rest went for about the same as you would expect for T218s, maybe a bit more.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to thank scooter729 (Scott) for a great 3 for 3 trade of graded T218's. We both had three PSA 4's that the other needed, and we both got a little closer to completion. Scott is a great guy to work with, and I hope to do more in the future. Thanks a lot Scott.

If anyone else is interested in trading, my extras are currently set #8 on the registry titled "Nick's 1910 T218 Champions extras."
  • Options
    I understand that it's rare, but I find this to be a little pricey.
  • Options

I betcha it gets about twice as pricey by the time it's over.

By the way, it really grinds my gears that your extras outrank my non-extras on the registry. Dillweed. image
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Bryon, if it's any consolation my extras outrank Nicks non extras image

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I remember back in the day introducing a few guys to this set....Anthony image
  • Options

<< <i>Bryon, if it's any consolation my extras outrank Nicks non extras image >>

That didn't seem called for. image
  • Options

<< <i>I remember back in the day introducing a few guys to this set....Anthony >>

I started on it when I let a friend use my mastro account to win a large lot and flipped thru them before shipping them off to him. Way too nice of an issue not to start on.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wanted to thank scooter729 (Scott) for a great 3 for 3 trade of graded T218's. We both had three PSA 4's that the other needed, and we both got a little closer to completion. Scott is a great guy to work with, and I hope to do more in the future. Thanks a lot Scott.

If anyone else is interested in trading, my extras are currently set #8 on the registry titled "Nick's 1910 T218 Champions extras." >>

Glad I fooled Nick; I'm actually a jerk.

• Options
    When did I say that you weren't a jerk? image
  • Options
    Excellent - just want to make sure we're in agreement on that one....
  • Options

Interesting old thread... Check out the newbie in the second post image ... LINK
  • Options

<< <i>I understand that it's rare, but I find this to be a little pricey. >>

<< <i>I betcha it gets about twice as pricey by the time it's over. >>

It never went any higher after my post, and I still say it sold for too much.

Edited to add: From $45.00 to final bid price of $242.50 there were only two bidders.
  • Options
    This thread was dangerously close to page 2, so I thought I would rescue it with some new additions to my set. I've had the cards listed for over a week now, but I finally have them in hand to add the scans today. Enjoy.

• Options
    I love the Weston, and am angry at you beating me out for it!

How come T-218 collectors are all lame and home on Saturday nights? I just got in from a long cookout this afternoon, but that's still not a good excuse....
  • Options

<< <i>....How come T-218 collectors are all lame and home on Saturday nights.... >>

Trust me, I was lame long before I started collecting T218's.
  • Options
    Not all of them- I just got home.
    With a bit of help from Scott and an ebay win or two I've got a bunch of upgrades:

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

And I thought I was buying an upgrade of Jack Goodman, instead I ended up with a dupe of Abe Goodman. Anyone want to trade?

• Options
    WOW! Those are some impressive cards! Nice to see the 8's found their way into the right hands - glad I could help in a little way!
  • Options

Spectacular pick-ups, guys.
  • Options
    I wanted to give me fellow T218 collectors a big heads up. In case anyone is thinking of bidding on this auction, there appears to be some tiny writing on the backs of nearly all the cards in the lower right corner. The seller fails to mention it in his description, and is probably hoping that no one notices it. I just didn't want anyone here to get burned by maybe stumbling on this lot at the last minute and throwing a quick bid out there.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick - I hadn't seen it yet but good to know. Might be worth it for the right price for the Johnsons....
  • Options
    Maybe the money would be better spent on these T-218 listings.... image

Scott's T-218's
  • Options
    I forgot to set a snipe for last nights Frankie Conley PSA 5, and it ends at $14.09 image
  • Options

Ugh. I feel your pain. There were indeed some good deals to be had yesterday. My T218 budget all went into my last PSA sub, so I haven't gone after many auctions lately. But there were three or four last night that I set some less-than-aggressive snipes for just to make sure they didn't go too cheaply. I ended up winning one, the Honey Mellody PSA 5 for $16.60, and was the second highest bidder on the others. (Of course, the seller tags on another $6.60 for S&H. So, the total was actually $23.20.)
  • Options
    Bryon - How many T218's are in your sub? Was it the 15 day special? I have 8 T218's on the 15 day special logged in on 7/8, with 3 of them being crackouts.

I also have 3 cards (that I got from Bryon for a very friendly price) that I sent in for my 3 free grades for reaching 75% on the set that are now on business day 38. image
  • Options

Yep, a 15-days special logged on 7/2, and there were all of 9 T218s in my sub and one T219 with a Miner's Extra back. Two of 'em were crackouts. I'm really expecting the Lee to get bumped, but the Cutler... not so much. After I cracked it out, I saw that it has a bruised edge that wasn't visible through the slab, but you never know.. may still get a .5 anyway.

• Options
    That Cutler has off the charts centering. The Lee isn't too shabby either.

I cracked two PSA 4's and one PSA 5 that shall remain nameless until they are graded. I will show old slabs/flips and new slabs once they are back.
  • Options

Every once in a while, I'll Google someone from this set just to see if I can flesh 'em out a bit.

I found this New York Times article in reference to Simon Gillis dated Oct. 1, 1904, that I thought was interesting...

• Options
    Great stuff Bryon, and incredibly tragic. Some of the personal histories of these athletes are so sad, especially the boxers.

• Options
    Where can i find a checklist for the boxers in this set? I had found one a year or so ago when i started messing around with this set, but i cant seem to find one online again. Any help?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Here are all the boxers. 64 by my count. I assembled this from the pop report, hence the bizarre alphabetization by first name.

Abe Attell
    Abe Goodman
    Ad Wolgast
    Al Delmont
    Al Kaufman
    Battling Hurley
    Battling Nelson
    Bert Keyes
    Billy West
    Charles Eyton (Referee)
    Charley Griffin
    Dave Deshler
    Dick Hyland
    Dick Nelson
    Eddie Walsh
    Fighting D. Nelson
    Frank Klaus
    Frankie Conley
    Frankie Neil
    Fred Welsh
    Geo. Gardiner
    Harry Lewis
    Harry Stone
    Honey Mellody
    Jack (Twin) Sullivan
    Jack Goodman
    Jack Johnson Front Face
    Jack Johnson Side Face
    James J. Jeffries
    James Jeffries
    Jem Driscoll
    Jim Stewart
    Jimmy Gardner
    Jimmy Walsh
    Joe Gans
    Joe Jeannette
    John Daly
    Johnny Coulon
    Johnny Marto
    Johnny Summers Seated
    Johnny Summers Standing
    Knock-Out Brown
    Leach Cross
    Matty Baldwin
    Mike Sullivan
    Owen Moran
    Packey Mcfarland
    Patsey Kline
    Patsy Brannigan
    Phil Mcgovern
    Phila. Jack O'Brien
    Sailor Burke
    Sam Langford
    Stanley Ketchell
    Tommy Murphy
    Tommy O'Keefe
    Tommy O'Toole
    Unk Russell
    Willie Lewis
    Wm. Papke
    Young Corbett
    Young Donahoe
    Young Loughrey
    Young Nitchie
  • Options
    thank you

imagey
  • Options
    Did one of you guys win that tolstoi Cross that ended the other night?

also, i was going over the backs of the cards and randomly google stuff that catches my eye.

Here is the story of a fight between Gans and Battling Nelson
    45 rounds

imagey
  • Options
    It was me that won the Cross.... I am up to 10 or 11 different T218's w/tolstoi backs now. Does anyone know if PSA will put a "Tolstoi back" label when they grade these. Also any chance of them keeping a seperate population report for these tolstois. Would also like to know POP over on Beckett if anyone is a member on there for these tolstois.
    Buying Vintage Boxing...especially T218 and T220..email if you have cards you would like to sell.
  • Options

I put in a luke-warm bid for that, just in case. Seems like it went for a good price.

I doubt PSA will note Tolstoi on the flip, though. I recently submitted a T219 with a rare back ad, but no mention on the flip.
  • Options

Got my sub back today, at last, and am very pleased. Stoked even. The two crack-outs, Cutler and Lee, which were 5 and 6, came back 6 and 7.5. Also, the 6 on the Billy West was a pleasant surprise. Picked that up for less than $9 delivered. The rest came back with the grades I expected, though I thought the Johnstone had a good shot at 6. Not shown is a Glenn Riddell, which graded a 3 as expected... It's just my favorite card in the set and I wanted to have a slabbed copy. It'll do for now.

• Options
    Bryon, I knew that Cutler was not a 5 when you showed it in this thread a while back. Awesome 1 1/2 grade bump on the Lee (dont tell Anthony). Great overall submission, and thanks for the scans. image
  • Options
    that was painful.

• Options
    The new Mastro auction has a partial T218 set Here
    I"m very interested to see where it ends up.

• Options

Yikes. I have to say that the extent of the scans they have available is incredibly lame. If that was my set they were selling, I'd be pretty honked off.
  • Options

<< <i>.....I"m very interested to see where it ends up. >>

• Options

<< <i>The new Mastro auction has a partial T218 set [L=Here] >>

Thanks to Nick and/or myself, that Mastro partial set has not been #6 for a while; that should say #7.

Or did they shill that set up to #6?
  • Options
    Wanted to give a big thank you to Bryon (Elemenopeo) for a few raw cards I got from him recently. I can't even say he sold them to me with what little he asked for them. A truly good guy, and here are the results of those raw cards after I sent them to PSA. Thanks again Bryon.

• Options

Happy to be of service... and relieved none of 'em came back 7.5. image
  • Options

<< <i>Happy to be of service... and relieved none of 'em came back 7.5. image >>

Not to add to Anthony's pain, but I just saw that the Lee 7.5 is the highest graded example. Very nice.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Happy to be of service... and relieved none of 'em came back 7.5. image >>

Not to add to Anthony's pain, but I just saw that the Lee 7.5 is the highest graded example. Very nice. >>

thanks guys. I'll keep this in mind when I get some more dupes!

I noticed last nite that Bryon's was a 1/1.

• Options
    Thought you guys might like to see pics of the Tolstois I have. I have added the Cross since my first post. Anyone with tolstoi back T218's to sell IM me what you have and prices. I think i am going to attempt to try to put together a set with tolstoi backs.....although i dont know if it is even possible to do.....

Buying Vintage Boxing...especially T218 and T220..email if you have cards you would like to sell.
  • Options
    We're due for a bump here...

I am an idiot (no arguement expected there) - the PSA 8 OC Sullivan went for only $14. I needed this for my set, and forgot to put my snipe in on it and was out for the night! I don't love OC cards, but I would love 8 OC's, and especially at that price, it's a steal!
  • Options
    In the last few weeks I've forgotten to set snipes on a Cloughen and a Steinert. A few months ago that was no big deal, but when you only need 23 cards, and they don't show up every week, it's aggravating.

On a more positive note, I did win a PSA 6 Hoxsey for only $35.99 image