Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree John, but maybe there's 10 with the 07 reverse.

Or just filled with the reg. that no one wants. I thought the sweet spot was the end of April?

Maybe this years Eagle will be low mintage afterall.

How many thousands were returned?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    269 auctions
    -69 94/269 34.9%
    -70 76/269 28.3
    Other 99/269 36.8
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Maybe this years Eagle will be low mintage afterall.

It'll be interesting to follow the monthly mintage totals as the returns begin to pile up.

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

It would be a hoot if they pulled the plug @ 400,000.................image
    It would be a hoot if they pulled the plug @ 400,000

That would make the 08/08-Ws what, about a $100+ coin in 69?
  • Guys, they will NOT pull the plug on this series.

Remember, the regular Business Strike Silver is on allocation and the Big Dealers can not get enough. Since the US Mint is inept at business and it has created a shortage in the regular non- W Silver. Remeber the WSJ Article, last week?

The Burnished Series was designed by the US Mint to eliminate the middile man, that is the BU Business with Big Dealers and the intent is to channel that Market into the W Unc Series so to capture more profit.

No shortage of "W" Uns Silver..
    Doesn't matter if they pull the plug, if PM prices continue to founder, I don't see too many folks hoarding these at 8-9$ over spot.
    They are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over priced at current Ag levels IMO. The '06s at $19.95 & the '07s at $21.95 were good values. The '08s are not. Or will folks just buy 550,000+ of these no matter what the Mint charges?

Regards, John
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how returns are calculated in mints sales numbers.
    I bet there have been 25,000-50,000+ returns of ASEs.
  • sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 829 ✭✭✭
    It seems eons ago that there was some stipulation that the silver used in the Eagles
    had to be of US origin and sourced from some particular stockpile. I don't remember
    the exact details. I also seem to remember that the stockpile ran out a few years
    ago. Does anyone know the details on this and how this affects the current "shortage"
    and what the source is for the silver for the current ASE's?
  • The sales seem to be cooling a bit, although an MS70 just sold for good money for the first time in a few days...

PCGS MS70 FS Sale
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
    I'd call it stupid money............
  • mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd call it stupid money............ >>

Guess your not the seller so its stupid money

• HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Would June be too early in the year to stop selling the 2008 W MS ASE's ?? With all the returns, maybe West Point will cease minting anymore !! Your Comments Please !!
    Specialized Investments
    They will mint all they can sell.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would June be too early in the year to stop selling the 2008 W MS ASE's ?? With all the returns, maybe West Point will cease minting anymore !! Your Comments Please !! >>

anyone who wants one has one, or both...

if you were a fortunate lad or lassie who bought them directly from the mint (the 08/07) then you have nothing to really lose, or if you got bought secondary market early.

the 08/08...wouldn't get excited.

With all the returns, maybe West Point will cease minting anymore !! Your Comments Please !!

If I'm not mistaken these are supposed to be made-to-demand or at least forcasted demand. So if there's as many returns as we suspect, then the minting should slow or stop until the reruns are dispersed. Then unfilled orders and their projection of continued demand will again dictate additional coining. JMO

Bottom line is the # sold will depend on, and be equal to the number bought! image If folks think that the're over priced then sales could be lowest of the series, or people may stock up be-damned the price,
    or Ag could climb enough by years end that they get a late flood of orders. imageimage

Again just my rambling and conjecturing!

Regards, John

• << <i>Would June be too early in the year to stop selling the 2008 W MS ASE's ?? With all the returns, maybe West Point will cease minting anymore !! Your Comments Please !! >>

Here it is almost June 08 and they are still selling the 07 W's (in the dollar set)!!!!
  • Silver is suppose to be domestically produced.

I am sure there are certain ways (waivers) around that for the Planchet Supplier.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    Did Gainsville just screw up ?!?!?

Ebay 300229399129

Their website has them for $500. Someone got a great deal if they honor it.

• Wow! 25 of them too. It was listed for a while it looks like. (30 Min)

Gainesville
    Completed BS&T Deals

• A hundred of them? Uh oh. I don't see them honoring that sell. Looks like the market is about to be really flooded.

Didn't look at the auction close enough... They're only the regular. Close call. image
    Completed BS&T Deals

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    The w eagles could be done as far as the mint making any more. They must have a mess of returns to resell at this point and with silver at it's current level, I just can't see too many people forking out $26 for less than $20 worth of silver. This could change though if the price of silver goes up, but if it happens too late in the year the mint may not be able to go back and make more.
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    After all is said and done, How many 2007 reverse will you be holding. And what kind / graded, raw, first strike, early release ect....
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>Did Gainsville just screw up ?!?!?

Ebay 300229399129

Their website has them for $500. Someone got a great deal if they honor it. >>

I know it is not quite the same but late last year I won a NGC ms70 early release AGE $5
    for 75.00 shipping included..Well under melt at the time for a ms70 early release.

I had it in my mail box 3 days later....image

I would bet they will honor any sale to keep their feedback % high..They probably bought these
    at issue price and bulk submitted for grading. So even though it was a screw up they would still be ahead to honor..
  • cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489

<< <i>what about this? 0.99 cents? >>

Maybe not this one though....image

• << <i>Would June be too early in the year to stop selling the 2008 W MS ASE's ?? With all the returns, maybe West Point will cease minting anymore !! Your Comments Please !! >>

Just received a few of these on Tuesday from the mint. The coins were out of the capsules loose in the box, no chance at all for a 70 out of the bunch. Sending these back next week, seems like their just recycling the returns as others here have stated.
    I will be holding 11 PCGS first strike MS69's
    1 PCGS first strike MS70
    1 NGC early release MS70
    and if my 2 ungraded coins go unsold this weekend on ebay ,I will hold those also.

When they have a sale, they REALLY have a sale ! ! !

Sure would love to catch the next one.
    WoW!!!!
  • lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS non FS is doing OK too...

Link-a-roo >>

I received an offer to end this item early $3000 but I decided to keep it
    up. Hopefully that was the right move. I'm really surprised at what the
    PCGS MS68's did.

Number I

Number II >>

So what do you guys think about PCGS 65's or 66's?
    I have a couple that I'm thinking of grading just for the heck of it to see what they come back.
    They will NOT be 68's.

I think in the long run most of these will end up graded.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ebay 300229399129

I know it is not quite the same but late last year I won a NGC ms70 early release AGE $5
    for 75.00 shipping included..Well under melt at the time for a ms70 early release.

I would bet they will honor any sale to keep their feedback % high..They probably bought these
    at issue price and bulk submitted for grading. So even though it was a screw up they would still be ahead to honor.. >>

I think gainesville sees the top and maybe didn't want to bother for the money they left on the table..Bin dropped over 75.00 overnite ,on the NGC-69s
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

When they have a sale, they REALLY have a sale ! ! !

Sure would love to catch the next one. >>

obviously someone screwed up.. that's what happens when you hire a bunch of teenagers, hand them a list and say "start listing these".. this is how i picked up three pairs of brand new, not-refurbed, factory-sealed.. Sony MDR-V6 headphones (retail $120.00 each).. for $14.95 a year or so ago.. one of those huge liquidators' froggy little native boys in his tight leather apron (obscure Firesign Theatre referene).. entered $14.95 instead of $79.95 as the "Buy it Now" price and i sat there staring at it and said this just can't be right.. but i took a chance and pulled the trigger anyway.. after i won them, i axed him.. "was that price a mistake?".. he said "yeah, one of my froggy little native boys in his tight leather apron entered the wrong price, it was a mistake, but i'll honor it".. shipped.. received.. sure enough, they were the $120.00 cans.. (best headphones i have ever owned.. i've had a pair for 20 years and they sound like $10,000.00 speakers.. name another product Sony has been making continuously, un-changed, for over 20 years.. i dare ya..) .. anyway. even though he screwed up, he honored the price and i got them.. and they were exactly as pictured, and i left him glowing feedback.. and vice-versa..

God only knows (C) Brian Wilson, 1967.. what other "Buy it Now" mistake bargains are lurking on eBay but who has all day to search for them?..

now if Mr. Gainseville had listed a bunch of 08/07s at a "Buy it Now" of $0.99 and i had missed out on that i probably would have gone back to sniffing glue..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Ebay 300229399129

at issue price and bulk submitted for grading. So even though it was a screw up they would still be ahead to honor.. >>

Even a bulk submission costs at least $10 in grading fees per coin. IMO the .99 BIN auction for the 80/08's was a major screw up as these more than likely were purchased at $17-$18 each which brings it to minimum $27.00 per coin not including to and from Shipping. Thats a $2600 booboo negatives or not. Besides, if they didn't honor it and plead their case with eBay, they could get the sale nullified as an listing error. Even then, 3 negs wouldn't really affect there ratings of 18,000+
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>
    I think gainesville sees the top and maybe didn't want to bother for the money they left on the table..Bin dropped over 75.00 overnite ,on the NGC-69s >>

y'know.. honestly, you'll drive yourself crazy (checking the stove) if you obssessivly check prices on these coins minute by minute hour by hour all day every day and twice on Sunday (check the stove make sure it's off).. relax.. here.. have a {Xanax}.. the prices are going to fluctuate a tick up and down as more are listed, fewer are listed, time of day, day of the week phase of the moon (check the stove make sure it's off).. no price curve is ever a straight diagonal line.. but the trend is still upwards.. (check the stove make sure it's off).. this is why i'm not invested in the stock market.. i couldn't handle the (check the stove make sure it's off..) fluctuations..

excuse me i have to check the stove..
    obsessive compusive disorder rules!.. NOT..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • How legit does this look?

2008 Reverse of 07 DDO
    Completed BS&T Deals

As for the DDO notation, Nearly every silver eagle since 2004 has exihibited that doubling. This is nothing new and appears on every SAE with regularity.

Here's a 2007:

Here's a shot of an 08/08:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Lee!

What are you talking about!

That would be a MAJOR error find for Potter.....and to think No electronmicroscope needed to see it!

Ever get your coins back? image
    No, just a 10x loupe would show it up but I believe this is in the master hub. Finding one without this would be a scarce rarity! You know, kinda like a Minnesota quarter without an extra tree!

The name is LEE!
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I think gainesville sees the top and maybe didn't want to bother for the money they left on the table..Bin dropped over 75.00 overnite ,on the NGC-69s >>

y'know.. honestly, you'll drive yourself crazy (checking the stove) if you obssessivly check prices on these coins minute by minute hour by hour all day every day and twice on Sunday (check the stove make sure it's off).. relax.. here.. have a {Xanax}.. the prices are going to fluctuate a tick up and down as more are listed, fewer are listed, time of day, day of the week phase of the moon (check the stove make sure it's off).. no price curve is ever a straight diagonal line.. but the trend is still upwards.. (check the stove make sure it's off).. this is why i'm not invested in the stock market.. i couldn't handle the (check the stove make sure it's off..) fluctuations..

excuse me i have to check the stove..
    obsessive compusive disorder rules!.. NOT.. >>

SEE that is the problem..you ain't invested in the market..........That is what makes trading fun whether it is 2008/07s or GOOG, aapl
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Ok, looks like 247 current listings, noticably, lots of brown label ngc's all being sold at once...
  • coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666

<< <i>Ok, looks like 247 current listings, noticably, lots of brown label ngc's all being sold at once... >>

i`m seeing 312 on my internet. image

link
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Pcgs ms70 FS down $1000 link
    Why do you have to 'put your two cents in'... but it's only a 'penny for your thoughts'? Where's that extra penny going to?
  • Everything is in a state of free fall right now. *At least for now*
    Completed BS&T Deals

• How much did they cost from the mint?
    Trustworthy BST sellers: cucamongacoin

<< <i>Everything is in a free fall now. >>

you left out three little words.. "in my opinion"..

when i posted waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in this thread that i thought these coins would be hitting $500.00, $1000.00 and more a few weeks after they started showing up on eBay i was poo-pooed and told by someone i can't remember that they'd be $50.00 by June or Summer or something..

the number of listings affects the selling price.. supply and demand.. listings go up, prices go down, and vice-versa..
    and it's Friday and date night and the slowest bidding night of the week unless Saturday is.. plus it's the end of the month.. people have to pay the rent and other bills at the beginning of the month.. at least the middle-class does.. the rich can buy anything they want, any time they want..

<< <i>How much did they cost from the mint? >>

$25.95 each plus $4.95 shipping per order or $13.95 for expedited (Fedex overnight) shipping.. all US Mint orders of $300.00 or more are automatically upgraded to expedited shipping at the $4.95 charge..

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    once the big boys blow out thier couple of hundred coins, watch the price rise.....

these are a really low projected mintage

IMO, less that 30,000

watch it take off in a few months
  • Currently :315 Auctions on Ebay.

<< <i>once the big boys blow out thier couple of hundred coins, watch the price rise.....

these are a really low projected mintage

IMO, less that 30,000

watch it take off in a few months >>

Or fall over.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file