Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    tulip mania
    Sometimes I wish I was dead. Wait, not me. You. - Jack Handy
  • Options

<< <i>tulip mania >>

Lol. Im not suprised by your comment here. Although I will say. You are likely to miss out on a good chance to get these while there available. Yes the is a posibility of up to 47000 minted. Actual releases are unknown. IMPO 30000 released. You cant complete a 20 year set without it. So believe what you want. I personally am holding mine and looking to purchase more.

Talk to me after the tulip season is over and you will say. Woops I screwed that one real Bad.

Have a great day.
  • Options

<< <i>tulip mania >>

Wow Im really sloooow these days...I was wondering what the Heck Tulips got to do with anything regarding the ASE's? I said is this whats its called now? Tulips? But thanks to Mitsuec for clarifying that once more. image
  • Options
    As long as the mintage is such that, it is lower than the '95-W (though, any number placed would be a guess, no matter how educated the guess, it will never be known exactly how many there are, unless the Mint discloses how many they were able to pull), prices will be solid, and will eventually level off (it just has to), but it will be sustained, and they aint gonna be cheap.

And whats wrong with admitting to buying them from the TV guys at $299 when I should clearly make at least $300 profit (you numbers guys, I know, wont be exactly that), but it will be enough to make it a smart purchase. The Honda analogy is excellent, SUMORADA, not 100% accurate though...I look at it as buying a Honda, being able to sell it, and have enough to buy the Harley I REALLY want!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Most cases you will lose if you buy from the tv but not in this case unless you buy at todays prices. This is just a little cooling down period and prices still have a ways to go before they level off. I did not buy any from tv . I was lucky enough to have gotten mine from the mint and sent them in to PCGS for grading. All of mine are graded with the obverse on the front .
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    Is anybody still buying from the mint or is it too late?
  • Options
    Much too late. There have been no positive findings for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Check out the BST boards. Our fellow board member just posted his PCGS First Strike 2008 w/ 2007 coins for sale. MS69's and MS70's.image
  • Options
    Silly question... how well do you all think the Non First Strike will hold up to the FS designated?
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    CB honestly tulip mania occured back in the 1600's. People traded the bulbs for an inflated high amount while the bubonic plague was around. I can't remember if it was sopposed to cure it in the future or something. However I recall that some of the most rare forms were being found and it created a bubble well it exploded and people were out what they invested.

He thinks the same will happen here. The only problem is tulips can be harvested and reharvested. These coins can't. Whats released is released
  • Options
    I feel the low availability of the first strikes is going to make them a winner. PCGS didn't ok first strikes until the last possible day and not many qualify now. I would not dream of selling any of my first strikes at this point in time.
  • Options
    1st strike/ early releases are just a way to create a more rarity.

Which in essense it doesnt.

The coins should all be Firsts strikes. It was the First 47000 supposably that were made with the wrong hubs.

I really don't think the label means SH**. Because its not really true. It should state instead of First Strike: Received within 30days of release.

Thats just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Remember do we pay for the coins or the slab.

Basically what first strike does is makes people pay more for paper and more for the plastic. The coin is what it is.

BTW I have Early releases no 1st Strike will never pay the premiums. However I may bite might lip for what they sell for over the Early releases

Anyone thats here. Please post the most updated pop reports again. I assume were going off Sundays numbers.
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666
    i see 210 auctions at the moment. more than any time previously.

looks like more coins are coming out of the woodwork. JMO

your thoughts?

edited to add: 214 now in the time i typed this
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    A raw just ended at $575....not
    too shabby. image

-Paul

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>hummm
    my message doesent show that I am replying to a prior message..
    sorry readers ..just disregard my utterances
    jb >>

You gotta hit "quote" instead of "reply".image >>

thanks dude
    jb
    Dare To Dream
  • Options

<< <i>Most cases you will lose if you buy from the tv but not in this case unless you buy at todays prices. This is just a little cooling down period and prices still have a ways to go before they level off. I did not buy any from tv . I was lucky enough to have gotten mine from the mint and sent them in to PCGS for grading. All of mine are graded with the obverse on the front . >>

I have boughten online too..but wasnt too pleased with quality ..
    My own falt and learned of course..buying wiout seeing actual item is a risk any way you look at it.
    As for this 2007 reverse..2008 W
    I had to take a big gulp to get mine and it total quantity stays below 47000 or even under 30000
    I believe it was well worth the pinch it took to get it on Ebay..
    Quality dude I got it from too actually ..
    Its in my safty deosit box and it has proved to be worth the extra investment on the vacume sealing machine.
    I doubt I can pich myself for a second one though ..
    jb
    Dare To Dream
  • Options
    More coins comming out should not be unexpected at these new rates.

Think about it has doubled in the past 2 weeks. Flippers are here. The market will go through a new point with all this.

The future is certain.

There are only SOOOOO many and its not much. less then 47k
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same drill a few weeks ago -- prices stagnated around $300 raw. Let the wave pass, it will rebound again when they dry up again.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Yea it happens they are available now. I tried to buy a few but was outbid
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>More coins comming out should not be unexpected at these new rates.
    Think about it has doubled in the past 2 weeks. Flippers are here. The market will go through a new point with all this.
    The future is certain. There are only SOOOOO many and its not much. less then 47k >>

I'm a flipper, Yes I have a boat load of these, but I have not sold but a handful and I got mine a issue price. To be honest most of the big flippers did not get quantity, and that is what makes this a different issue. It was pure chance what you got. Market manipulation is not what it would be in a planned release. It is foolish to think that all the collectors who want one have one. That is false. IMO You will see $1K before Christmas on raws, at that time I have 87 that will hit the market just in time for Santa.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    226 auctions
    -69 78/226 34.5%
    -70 60/226 26.5
    Other 88/226 39.0
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << IMO You will see $1K before Christmas on raws, at that time I have 87 that will hit the market just in time for Santa.>>

If 1k is the going rate, then every available raw Eagle will be listed.

After the wave of 1k coins, then what? 2k for the raw example?

Just wish there was a definite number of pieces that made it out the door.

Time will reveal the true number.

Good luck with your 87 examples!
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I feel the low availability of the first strikes is going to make them a winner. PCGS didn't ok first strikes until the last possible day and not many qualify now. I would not dream of selling any of my first strikes at this point in time. >>

But what value does a FS give to a coin when even the US mint says they were all struck at same time.
    A cute little Flag??

Now before someone says registry ask yourself just how many are really building registry sets of ASEs??
    How many registry sets need a FS MS69??

If there is a tulip mania it is in asigning premium value to a coin for a FS label when they are all FS.
  • Options
    Some Observations and Comments:

I have been using the following search strings for the past month:

"2008 REVERSE 2007 PCGS" with out the "Search title and description" box checked

As of this morning there are now 28 PCGS First Strikes for sale. That is up from 8 Units (my observed low) over the weekend.

"2008 REVERSE 2007" with out the "Search title and description" box checked

As of this morning there are now 235 for sale. That is up from 132 Units (my observed low) over the weekend.

I had (2) BINS for a couple of 2008 W with 2007 W Reverses MS69 F.S. that went off this morning for $739.99 each. That's down $20 from day before. The key here is if the MS69 FS's can get out of this $750-799 plateau and move higher. A bunch (relative) of No-reserve auctions tonight will tell the tale.

The important key is that 'Coins by Smitty' = 'txbil' on EBay continues to be very disciplined in 'petering' out his 137 Coin PCGS FS Hoard on to EBay. Way to Go, Smitty!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>But what value does a FS give to a coin when even the US mint says they were all struck at same time.
    A cute little Flag?? >>

It is like NIGHT and DAY. Despite the fact we all know it means nothing to you and I nuismatically, Mr. Market will pay 20%-40% more.

Mr. Market is always the KING.
  • Options
    Just for the record, first strikes would probably be correct in this case as the probably used the left over dies from last year first. Yes/No ?
  • Options

<< <i>Just for the record, first strikes would probably be correct in this case as the probably used the left over dies from last year first. Yes/No ? >>

I think that is true, but remember "First Strike" is not first strike. The definition of the designation is: "Coins shipped within the first 30 days of their release" so they must continue to abide by that standard.

I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    If there is a tulip mania it is in asigning premium value to a coin for a FS label when they are all FS. >>

I think it is the flag. Who cares about the validity of the FS label. We want a flag on our holder. I think some enterprising person should sell flag stickers for coin holders.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A boatload just showed up from the Orient image
  • Options
    Well for what it is worth number listed on Ebay using < 2007-2008-Reverse> search terms is up to 240 from just 135 same time last week.

Probably a combination of resales from earlier purchases, new coins shook loose by higher prices and mass of coins just back from TPGs.
  • Options
    Those coins will quickly disappear over the weekend as the word spreads about the coins. There has not been word one in the news about the error yet.

And also e bay is offering a special giving a discount on final value fees if you ship free. There are over 90 of these listings on the market.
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Those coins will quickly disappear over the weekend as the word spreads about the coins. There has not been word one in the news about the error yet.

>>

not one word in the news?.. which news do you mean?.. do you mean the CBS Evening news?.. do you mean the front page of the NYT?.. Countdown with Keith Olbermann?.. what news are you talking about?.. the error has been splashed around in NN and CW, and yesterday's CW was bagged with Coin Values which had a bar across the top of the front cover that sayd "OOPS! Mint uses 2007 Reverse on 2008-W ASEs" or something like that.. it's in the other room and i don't wanna go get the exact wording.. but what's odd is that it's getting a kind of man bites dog, kid steals apples from a market, Mayor gets a speeding ticket.. small blurb here and there, and not splashy banner headline front page "Victory in Europe!" or "Berlin Wall Falls!" news even in NN and CW.. so exactly what news (outlet(s)).. are you talking about?.. and why isn't it getting that kind of coverage?.. and why didn't i buy a PCGS MS70 FS for $575.00 when someone here told me someone else had one on the BST bored a couple of weeks ago, but he passed on it and bought an MS69 instead.. and i thought $575.00.. hmm.. nah.. too expensive..

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

"Get Monsieur a bucket to throw up in"..

i'm waiting with baited breath to find out how the Mint responds to that FOIA request.. i'm glad someone filed one.. but i bet they'll find some way to weasel out of it invoking one of the clauses that LETS them weasel out of answering just how many were really made, and how many they really shipped.. the future prices of these coins could swing wildly upwards if the actual shipped number is as small as i think it might possibly perhaps maybe be.. especially if it's lower than the 1995-W.. (which yeah yeah i know, wasn't an error, and wasn't an Unc, and cost a grand to get to begin with.. ) .. but everyone is taking at face value the "we made 47,000" number like gospel.. do we all actually believe that number is the truth?..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    ................... .. but everyone is taking at face value the "we made 47,000" number like gospel.. do we all actually believe that number is the truth?.. >>

Yeah, I believe the number of 47,000.

After all there are close to 15,000 already in slabs.
    Final slabbed totals by the end of this June may be close to 20,000.
  • Options
    Lots will be cracked out and resent to NGC. Put me down for 3
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    It took a number of weeks for news of the Mint-imposed restriction on bullion ASE sales to reach mainstream media. The news was in the WSJ and was reprinted by a number of local news outlets. If word of this ASE error ever does reach mainstream news sources, it could create another ballistic rise in these items. Once again, that perfect storm effect. News of the silver restrictions is out, so another batch of the masses are just beginning to get in-tune with these ASEs. It could be "Katy bar the door" like we've not even seen yet.

Of course there may be a fizzle to hit all too quickly, too.

...fun to watch!
  • Options
    The news I am talking about is the national news that had a field day with the Washington dollar fiasco.
  • Options
    A dozen to go image
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
    We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
  • Options
    What did he say?
  • Options

<< <i>What did he say? >>

A lot, but to whom ?
  • Options
    from A Few Good Men image

Edited to add: 8 to go!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options

<< <i>from A Few Good Men image

Edited to add: 8 to go! >>

Ah, yes... I remember it now. Jack Nicholson to Tom Cruise. I don't remember the character's names.

Lucky 7
  • Options
    I don't watch movies.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't watch movies. >>

Do you like turtles ? image
    Jonathon does image
  • Options
    Did when I was a kid 60 years ago!
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It took a number of weeks for news of the Mint-imposed restriction on bullion ASE sales to reach mainstream media. The news was in the WSJ and was reprinted by a number of local news outlets. If word of this ASE error ever does reach mainstream news sources, it could create another ballistic rise in these items. Once again, that perfect storm effect. News of the silver restrictions is out, so another batch of the masses are just beginning to get in-tune with these ASEs. It could be "Katy bar the door" like we've not even seen yet.

Of course there may be a fizzle to hit all too quickly, too.

...fun to watch! >>

Well, right or wrong, I sent an email with this news to the WSJ. It might be kinda interesting to find out if they pick this up. If they were all over the Washington dollar, the silver eagle rationing, then they should jump all over this.....

...or not.
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    The Ride is not over...Its just beginning!!! imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>The Ride is not over...Its just beginning!!! imageimage >>

-Paul
  • Options
    Oh, and....3000!!

-Paul