Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    2900 + 1.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the prices for raw are beginning to spiral downward. >>

Downward?? Not yet.......several raw coins closed last night in $550 range.
    Compare that to $300-325 they sold for 10-14 days ago.
  • Options
    Using the ANACS grading stats (provided by ca0100000) the updated SAE Error counts are:

US Mint 2008W SAE production: 306,750 (5/18/08 data)
    2008W SAE (07 rev) graded by NGC, PCGS, & ANACS: 14,343 (4.68% of Mint production – includes ER & FS designated coins). This number represents 30.5% of the Mint’s estimated 47,000 “artistic error” population (feel free to classify this “variety as you see fit image).

Within this population the TPGs breakdown as follows: NGC (74.9%), PCGS (11.3%), ANACS (13.8%)
  • Options
    Great STats Wighty44!!! Thanks...image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Uh, what? have you been watching prices? If anything, and I mean anything, they are slowing their increase. >>

I bet he fergot to add the winky.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    171 auctions
    -69 50/171 29.2%
    -70 52/171 30.4
    Other 69/171 40.4
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Big thanks out to Jesse and Jsf for the numbers....keep em coming... image
  • Options
    Yes, thanks to Jesse and jsf for their stats, they are very intersting to watch.

If most of these coins are in the hands of more experienced dealers/collectors/flippers, then they know not to dump a ton of these on the market and drop the price. With the supply tight, the price will continue to rise. It is also a popular series (even if it is just bullion to some) so that helps the demand.

It is amazing that people are paying more for this in PCGS MS70 FS than I could get for a 2006 MS70 FS 1oz Platinum Eagle that has a mintage of about 3100!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Uh, what? have you been watching prices? If anything, and I mean anything, they are slowing their increase. >>

I bet he fergot to add the winky.image >>

Or maybe he missed the boat and will finally break down a buy one at the top. Let us know when you buy. image

• Options
    Got my last order of silver eagles yesterday. Opened up the box and they were all loose out of their air-tite holders. Sending them all back this week, lots of light scratches on them, by the way 0/07 reverse.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Thats because there are so many more buyers for these coins that there are buyers for platinum and gold.
  • Options
    What is the latest shipping date that the 07 reverses are being found?
  • Options
    The last date I recall reported was 5/6 just read through the thread to be certain....image
  • Options
    BurnieBurnie Posts: 436 ✭✭✭
    << I believe the prices for raw are beginning to spiral downward. >>

Are you looking at the same stats that have been posted on these message boards? Are you looking at a different E-Bay, maybe you need to refresh your browser? Demand for these coins remains very strong, there has been and continues to be unprecedented interest/discussion among collectors for these coins. It seems to me that people that don't have any are very negative calling them overpriced and that the situation is nothing but hype and yet they continue to sell? I like many others have been shocked by the way they have increased in value, but its good (I do have a few and feel very lucky) it's fun to watch the way this has been developing and I am certain it will continue to develop.

As everyone knows timing is everything when it comes to buying and selling and certainly there have been significant highs along with lows (most of which has to do with how and who is selling), but for the most part the value of these coins continues to inch up. Obviously these coins will not go up forever, but from what I have seen they have not peaked out yet and when they do they are not going to spiral down, unless there is a mad rush to sell? But why would anyone rush to sell a coin and lose money? No, this coin will rewrite the books on buying and selling coins and we will all look back one day at these boards and remember the Spring of 2008 when John Nanney's discovery of a mint error SAE made a lot of collectors very happy. image
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< I believe the prices for raw are beginning to spiral downward. >>

Are you looking at the same stats that have been posted on these message boards? Are you looking at a different E-Bay, maybe you need to refresh your browser? Demand for these coins remains very strong, there has been and continues to be unprecedented interest/discussion among collectors for these coins. It seems to me that people that don't have any are very negative calling them overpriced and that the situation is nothing but hype and yet they continue to sell? I like many others have been shocked by the way they have increased in value, but its good (I do have a few and feel very lucky) it's fun to watch the way this has been developing and I am certain it will continue to develop.

As everyone knows timing is everything when it comes to buying and selling and certainly there have been significant highs along with lows (most of which has to do with how and who is selling), but for the most part the value of these coins continues to inch up. Obviously these coins will not go up forever, but from what I have seen they have not peaked out yet and when they do they are not going to spiral down, unless there is a mad rush to sell? But why would anyone rush to sell a coin and lose money? No, this coin will rewrite the books on buying and selling coins and we will all look back one day at these boards and remember the Spring of 2008 when John Nanney's discovery of a mint error SAE made a lot of collectors very happy. image >>

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    On May 7th I purchased 2 PCGS MS 69s from Dabigkahuna on BST. Yesterday I listed one and it sold within 2 hours for $795 BIN. I would say the demand is only getting stronger. Thanks again Larry. I will hold the other.
    Todd
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Moley! I wish my NGC coins were PCGS image
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the latest shipping date that the 07 reverses are being found? >>

From the statistics I am keeping from this thread alone, the last shipment date in which '07 reverse coins were found is 05/09/08. In fact, five orders show to have been shipped on 05/09 and 16 out of 44 total coins ordered had the '07 reverse!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Wow this thread has legs. image
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should I sell one "raw" for one 2008 W $25 Platinum Unc on sale next week and basically getting the $25 Unc free?

Or should I wait until I can get a free 2008 W $50 Platinum Unc.

Hmmmm....tough ponderance.

Ren

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Should I sell one "raw" for one 2008 W $25 Platinum Unc on sale next week and basically getting the $25 Unc free?

Ren >>

Patience is a virtue..... usually.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should I sell one "raw" for one 2008 W $25 Platinum Unc on sale next week and basically getting the $25 Unc free?

Ren >>

Why stop there? I think you will be able to get a $100 Plat Unc for one of these bad boys in about a year.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Unless you are a platinum collector I would not do that. Platinum coins are basically only bullion because people can not afford to collect it.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Ren >>

I think if you buy the $25 or $50 Plat they will not appreciate significantly in the next 3 months.

The potential for the reverse of 2007 is much greater.

So I think it is a no-brainer right now.

If my memory is correct I think the amount of auctions for the reverse of 2007 hasn't changed much in the last weeks.

It has been fluctuating between 120 to 200 auctions at any time and with this a steady increase in prices.

If the number of auctions reach 300 maybe a slow down will happen. I don't think either of these will happen.

For what it is worth I bought 4 raw on eBay for $700 total a couple of weeks ago and yesterday I bought 3 for double that ($1500).

I do not think they are done yet.

Joe

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even the PCGS MS68's up for auction are over $400 and obviously climbing so at this point it seems a no loss to have PCGS give it a shot.

Thanks again for the updates Jesee! The overall trend appears to be rising, albeit slow in some areas, growing nonetheless.

I do really prefer the PCGS slab for the sake of the reverse being up front as that is the point. I believe others may feel the same and are bidding accordingly.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    PCGS slab for the sake of the reverse being up front as that is the point.

Remember that big 137 Coin order with all of the MS 70 First Strikes in it?

That was submitted by a Dealer in Texas.

I was lucky enough to pick up 6 from that order (MS69 FS) and PCGS flipped them all back around.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm pretty new to the coin markets, having only gotten involved just after the release of the 20th anniv. sets.

This whole phenomenon with the '07 reverses has been just amazing in that the acquisition cost is so little and the profits so great in so short a time. Has this ever happened before in the coin markets? Specifically, has there ever been an issue with thousands of coins at low cost which have appreciated so much in such a short time?

The 20th anniv. sets, esp. the gold, did well but of course the acquisition cost was around $2700 with a secondary raw price of around $5K and a low household limit. Here we have $26 coins going for $400-$500 raw in just a few weeks with some people having been lucky enough to have aquired hundreds from the mint.

Thanks for any info! >>

Well yes, there was that person that got a 1969-s double die penny for the cost of a roll. What was the sales price? $100,000? It happens but not all that often otherwise all of us coin collector/traders would be able to leave our "day jobs"-at least the ones that don't already sell coins in the day. >>

I know that there have been isolated, rare instances such as those which you cite, but that's why I specifically asked about instances with thousands of low aquisition cost coins being generally available as was the case with the '07 rev. '08 W ASEs.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    I had another load come in today of 6 & 7 units adding up to about 124 coins.

Nothing..... *0* ....Just alot of picked-thru opened capsules, boxes and BullSh*t from the US Mint.

It is over for sure.

I did get to pick out 3 nice shinny, deeply struck coins and swapped them out for three crappy ones I had for a little payback.

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>I had another load come in today of 6 & 7 units adding up to about 124 coins.

Nothing..... *0* ....Just alot of picked-thru opened capsules, boxes and BullSh*t from the US Mint.

It is over for sure.

I did get to pick out 3 nice shinny, deeply struck coins and swapped them out for three crappy ones I had for a little payback.

image >>

TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm pretty new to the coin markets, having only gotten involved just after the release of the 20th anniv. sets.

This whole phenomenon with the '07 reverses has been just amazing in that the acquisition cost is so little and the profits so great in so short a time. Has this ever happened before in the coin markets? Specifically, has there ever been an issue with thousands of coins at low cost which have appreciated so much in such a short time?

The 20th anniv. sets, esp. the gold, did well but of course the acquisition cost was around $2700 with a secondary raw price of around $5K and a low household limit. Here we have $26 coins going for $400-$500 raw in just a few weeks with some people having been lucky enough to have aquired hundreds from the mint.

Thanks for any info! >>

Well yes, there was that person that got a 1969-s double die penny for the cost of a roll. What was the sales price? $100,000? It happens but not all that often otherwise all of us coin collector/traders would be able to leave our "day jobs"-at least the ones that don't already sell coins in the day. >>

I know that there have been isolated, rare instances such as those which you cite, but that's why I specifically asked about instances with thousands of low aquisition cost coins being generally available as was the case with the '07 rev. '08 W ASEs. >>

Last ones were the George Washington Coin covers, initial purchase 14.95 with a ROI of 200 to 400+% in weeks....
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    A couple auctions I had that ended the other day had about 80 watcher and 400+ looks. That, I think shows a lot of interest in these.

And don't forget, we all know what's going on, but there are NEW people finding out about these everyday.

• Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>A couple auctions I had that ended the other day had about 80 watcher and 400+ looks. That, I think shows a lot of interest in these.

And don't forget, we all know what's going on, but there are NEW people finding out about these everyday. >>

Have a good one!!!~David
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple auctions I had that ended the other day had about 80 watcher and 400+ looks. . >>

all of them flippers.....or most
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the current price for the:

08REV07 ASE PCGS MS69 FS

08REV07 ASE PCGS MS70 FS

Not many on ebay to judge.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the current price for the:

08REV07 ASE PCGS MS69 FS $710 - $795

08REV07 ASE PCGS MS70 FS $5000 - $5900

Not many on ebay to judge. >>

It should be noted that MS70's haven't sold at that level in a few days. Not sure what was going on, but when the record prices hit, they hit all at once. There are several sitting at that level now.
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    Gosh, I have fifteen of these coins after selling six, and I feel like I don't have many compared people here in this group. What is the largest number of reverse coins that one member has of these coins??????????????? I bet it is in the hundreds.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gosh, I have fifteen of these coins after selling six, and I feel like I don't have many compared people here in this group. What is the largest number of reverse coins that one member has of these coins??????????????? I bet it is in the hundreds. >>

The lucky bulk flippers who bought 500 shud be thankful for the error/mistake ; they made more on 2 or 3 of the error/mistake coins than they would have made on the 500 regular ones.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666

<< <i>Gosh, I have fifteen of these coins after selling six, and I feel like I don't have many compared people here in this group. What is the largest number of reverse coins that one member has of these coins??????????????? I bet it is in the hundreds. >>

i think lips will be sealed on this but i can tell you i am not one of them. i got a less than 2 dozen from the mint and already sold most, i have one ending tonight and that is it except a couple i will put in my collection. image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    I'll bet that a good percentage of the TOTAL mintage of these things are in the hands of forum members. Thats why there are so few on auction. Dribble a few out here and there, see how the prices go. Or, like many have written, flip within a few weeks of purchasing them. Percentage wise, the people that flipped after a few weeks STILL did very well, and now wishing they had more. Personally, got 6 from Gainesville coin, oh, I dont remember how long ago, maybe 3-4 weeks ago, for $150 each (all NGC ER 69's...no 70's available, and this was before PCGS recognized them). Sold 4 of them for $300-$350 each. Kept 2. Sold one for $500, so got one left. Like many of you that flipped quickly to make a quick hundred or two (not knowing they would be on the next space shuttle into orbit), I really wish I still had them, but I made some good money. It allowed me to have one for free (in case it stays the key, and winds up alongside the '95-W pricewise), and get a VERY nice PCGS 1883-CC MS64 DMPL, in an older holder (not a rattler, but shortly thereafter), which is going to PCGS for an upgrade shot (I'll post some 'trophy' pics when I get it), as the frosting is just killer and totally unbroken, and its totally white...always wanted one, and because of this, I was able to get it and it cost me not a nickel, so no complaints. I also tried something that I have never done before...I bought something from ShopNBC. They had the NGC's on their show, maybe 3-4 weeks ago. '70's were I think $799, '69's were $299. For sh*ts and giggles, I bought one 69 ('70's sold out before I could dial, as they didnt have a huge quantity for either grade). Its not an ER (though, at time of buying it, I could have sworn it was, but the website showed brown label). Going to put it on the bay.....I really want to see how much it brings, but the big thing was, I wanted to see if I could buy something on ShopNBC (or any of those TV coin hucksters) and make money...it was early in the game, and who knew prices would not just rise, but just take off into the stratosphere. I dont mind admitting it, yeah, I did buy something from a TV coin huckster! BUT, I may be the first one in the history of the world that can actually sell it and make money on it, and not be told its worth 1/4 of what I paid for it. I am seriously getting the feeling I should have gotten more and held them long term, as the $150 I paid for them at the time, looks like they were almost a giveaway. THATS why there are so few on the bay. As I said earlier, I bet alot of forum members have alot. The good thing about that is, you guys holding onto a whole big bunch of them know better than to just dump them at one time. THAT is the key to holding the prices and seeing them rise. Once those here sell most of what they have to SELL, its going to be a dry trough and prices are going to go big. Its GOING to be the key of the series, and I really think within 2 years, its price will be more or less where the '95-W is and that price will be sustained in the long term. But, I AM on heavy prescription meds still, and I HAVE been know to be wrong, at least once or twice in my life (ok, WAY more than twice)........
  • Options
    Ok, I have to find out....and be honest, everyone. Has ANYONE gotten, well, DID anyone get any from any TV coin show, and now selling them and making money? I'd like to see how many got them early...I mean, $299 was not TOO bad when I got one. Did anyone get any from TV, thinking/hoping/knowing they would be able to make money from them?
  • Options
    My trusted dealer has given me good advice many times. He recommends a simple plan for best dealing with the ASE 08/07's: submit them through PCGS or NGC, keep the 69's and sell the 70's [because I will be able to buy them back for substantially cheaper in the not too distant future]. How many other collectors/dealers will follow (or have already followed) this strategy?
  • Options
    I bought one from HSN for the $299! I only had a few seconds to decide and made the call. Now I'll just follow this forum and see what happens, but I'm not selling for a while.
    “Twenty years from now you’ll regret more the things you didn’t do than those you did.” Mark Twain
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    Ok, I have to find out....and be honest, everyone. Has ANYONE gotten, well, DID anyone get any from any TV coin show, and now selling them and making money? I'd like to see how many got them early...I mean, $299 was not TOO bad when I got one. Did anyone get any from TV, thinking/hoping/knowing they would be able to make money from them?

I did not, and I think that alot of folks who may have would not fess up, it would be like saying...you like riding Honda Motorcycles or something.......image
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My trusted dealer has given me good advice many times. He recommends a simple plan for best dealing with the ASE 08/07's: submit them through PCGS or NGC, keep the 69's and sell the 70's [because I will be able to buy them back for substantially cheaper in the not too distant future]. How many other collectors/dealers will follow (or have already followed) this strategy? >>

The NGC 70 prices have stalled at $$ 800-900 at +100.....while the 69s have risen + $$ 200.0 over the last week
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i have stated b4 that (so far) i am keeping one MS70 and i have sold all the rest of the raw and 70's and 69's. i'd rather be caught with my pants up than down.

i went in with a quick flip plan and i'm already out...kinda nice not checking eBay 19 times a day.

to be honest....those who want one (collector) have one, right? REGARDLESS of the mint pop of ~47k....

what's left are flippers. (IMHO)

to the poster above...i'd eyeball/loupe the best one or two you have and sell the rest, raw...and keep what you have raw.

• Options
    Now that would be a great Pickninix basket..!!!!!
    Hahaha Boobooo
    Dare To Dream
  • Options
    payback is nice sometimes ..
    HHHAAAaa
    Dare To Dream
  • Options
    hummm
    my message doesent show that I am replying to a prior message..
    sorry readers ..just disregard my utterances
    jb
    Dare To Dream
  • Options
    Hey, I know first rule of thumb is to hide the phone and not even CONSIDER the overpriced garbage they sell on those shows. BUT, alot of us DO watch it. For me, I just like the fact that someone is appealing to me with my hobby..or I just get hip-no-tized looking at coins on TV, I dont know. But, come on....at that moment, yeah, I felt guilty/stupid, probably deserved to be banned not just from the forums, but the hobby in general...but now, with the prices they bring? There really are one or two times a year when those shows do offer something that you can flip.....and this was one of those times
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hummm
    my message doesent show that I am replying to a prior message..
    sorry readers ..just disregard my utterances
    jb >>

You gotta hit "quote" instead of "reply".image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file