Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Honestly I think were only going to see about 15k to 18k surface. >>

Will the Mint ever say how much it captured out of the 47K figure they put out there for us to chew over?

Mr MOY if your reading this Pls. have one of your people disclose a figure of how much your team captured before it went out in the open market. image
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, they are called losers.
  • Options

<< <i>

Will the Mint ever say how much it captured out of the 47K figure they put out there for us to chew over?

Mr MOY if your reading this Pls. have one of your people disclose a figure of how much your team captured before it went out in the open market. image >>

Nope they are done. Thats the press release. They have never comeback with an actual figure.

for example the monroe quarter planchets none surfaced yet they stated 150k possible. Never came back and said they got every last one. Remember this is a government institution that is accountable for their words.

I hope there is more out there but I doubt it I want a few more of these image

Shannon
  • Options
    I guess never say never but very extremely unlikely
  • Options
    evsiteevsite Posts: 141 ✭✭
    I fully expect to see the price plateau at 500 for a breather before pushing up to the next plateau of 750 and hopefully up the next step and so on and so on.........
    The point is nothing goes straight up.
  • Options
    I have a feeling this will be the exception to that theory, at least for a while.
  • Options
    I personally feel the first break will be the 750.

Then to the 1000 raw push. Dont take my words accountable all this is PURE speculation. I have little to no reason to gain from anything I say here.

However I have a few and may purchase more. I am a speculator just like many othere posting to this thread.

2800 were going somewhere.
  • Options

<< <i>2800 were going somewhere. >>

im too sleepy but what is 2800 again?
  • Options
    2810 posts +1

Im interested to actually see how many surface
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CB, 2800 means that there have been 2800 posts to this thread. Each 100 posts goes to the top start a new string of 100 posts....
  • Options
    Thanks Mitsuecl3338 and thebigeng. I was half asleep then...hopefully not when this train goes full steam ahead. image
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    I thought 2800 was the BIN on these....wont be long now image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twenty-two thousand dollars image
  • Options
    While looking at the known graded population for this error, I noticed that NGC has graded almost 87% of them. I understand that NGC started to grade this coin a couple of weeks before the PCGS, but can that time difference be the main reason why these numbers seem so skewed?

Has anyone seen this error in the slab of any other grading agency? If so which?
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>While looking at the known graded population for this error, I noticed that NGC has graded almost 87% of them. I understand that NGC started to grade this coin a couple of weeks before the PCGS, but can that time difference be the main reason why these numbers seem so skewed?

Has anyone seen this error in the slab of any other grading agency? If so which? >>

I seen one on the 'Bay that was graded By ANACS
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    This is not an ERROR coin.

It's a "pattern' image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Mr MOY if your reading this Pls. have one of your people disclose a figure of how much your team captured before it went out in the open market. image >>

Nope they are done. Thats the press release. They have never comeback with an actual figure.

for example the monroe quarter planchets none surfaced yet they stated 150k possible. Never came back and said they got every last one. Remember this is a government institution that is accountable for their words.

I hope there is more out there but I doubt it I want a few more of these image

Shannon >>

Accountable for their words? HA HA yeah right; what wacky weed have you bin smokin?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Hey Bajj... a top of the mornin' to you.

I think Shannon meant they'd be accountable for their words on the next election. image

However, let's get back to the coin. I think this weekend was a "perfect storm" setting to drive the price of the coin up. ( A long holiday weekend, full of hype and price fixing).
    Also, a lot of the "dealers" holding the coin have done a masterful job. The flippers just swim in the waters and the collector just enjoys the coin. I am sure there are a hundred men out there thinking " Oh, I'm just flipping twenty of these so I can buy a classic coin". But , to each their own in the crazy coin world.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...Has anyone seen this error in the slab of any other grading agency? If so which? >>

I seen one on the 'Bay that was graded By ANACS >>

I checked, but ANACS does not yet have any listings in their population report for any 2008 silver eagles.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>...Has anyone seen this error in the slab of any other grading agency? If so which? >>

I seen one on the 'Bay that was graded By ANACS >>

I checked, but ANACS does not yet have any listings in their population report for any 2008 silver eagles. >>

That is why PCGS & a few other TPG's are ahead of them image
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>y'know.. i've been wondering, and i'm sure some of you life forms have also been wondering how many of these coins have been bought and re-sold on eBay over and over again.. making the numbers of them tallied up and reported here sold on eBay to be quite specious.. >>

As of this morning 5,526 coins come up when searching over the past two months of "2007 reverse 2008"

• Options
    What is the difference between the brown and blue labels from NGC.
  • Options
    I just got back from a two week vacation. On May 1st I ordered 4 coins, on May 3rd I ordered another 4 coins, and May 3rd another 3 coins.

May 1st, shipped registered May 9th --- 1/4
    May 3rd, shipped registered May 9th --- 1/4
    Mat 3rd, shipped registered May 8th --- 0/3

I feel lucky to have received two to add to my collection. This was a last minute thing to order from the Mint.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the difference between the brown and blue labels from NGC. >>

Blue labels are early release(NGC equiv of 1st strike)
    Brown labels are regular
  • Options
    Thank you, that is what I thought. A friend asked me the difference and I wasn't sure.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I think someone here posted a link to a "Early Release" Brown label, which
    was being sold for premium as an "error label"
  • Options

<< <i>I think someone here posted a link to a "Early Release" Brown label, which
    was being sold for premium as an "error label" >>

Buy the coin, not the plastic or buy the label not the plastic or buy the whole thing????? image
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    I don't put much faith in the population reports. With 70's bringing over 5K and 69's bringing $600+ any resubmissions, hoping for a higher grade, will skew the total number of coins graded. This will make the population reports virtually useless over time. Therefore, due to resubmissions, the total population of coins graded will always be overstated IMHO.

edited for spelling.
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    I am hoping that Jesse updates and publishes his volume/price graphs soon of the 2008 with 07 reverse coins.

I own some of the coins but I am becoming concerned that we are in a bubble for these coins.

Here is an insightful message from another thread about "is there a bubble in the coin market?"

<< <i>RYK:

As I recall that article (I read it in the Wall Street Journal, where it was initially published, there were four aspects of a bubble:
    1) A bubble generally starts when there is some new large event about which investors are unsure of the ultimate outcome. This description fits the so-called Internet bubble in stocks in 2000 and the so-called bubble in stock prices in the 1920s (the large event here was the electrification of the United States). But I do not see where this description fits the coin market. (Or the tulip market.)

2) The article also implied that bubbles were more likely in markets in which it was costly (=difficult) for short sales. Clearly this is the case with coins.

3) The story said that vastly increased transactions were a sign of a bubble. I think this element accurately describes the current coin market.

4) Finally the story said (and implied) that a bubble ends when enough of the investors who are less optimistic about the event (randomly) act together to start lowering the price and that the price then plumments downward. I guess this accurately descibes the end of the so-called bubble in coins that ended, as I vaguely recall, in 1980. My understanding is that prices dropped like rocks at the end of the 1980 "bubble." It does not describe the prolonged fall in coin prices during the 1990s.
    Text
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    And just to add fuel to Gopher's musings...I'm thinking that most of the subscriptions were sent before the Blessed Event (before April 2nd or so), and with the reports that most who received their subscriptions had zero 07 Reverses, makes me think the argument that there are so many people out there who have no idea what they're holding may just be a bit smaller or a lot smaller than is believed.

It would be interesting to see what the Mint's sales numbers are week-by-week...I'll bet way more than half of their current sales occurred since April 2nd (or whatever the date the variety was announced/discovered) or so with folks trying to jump in. And given how many forum members reported receiving coins (I believe I saw a 5000-coin or so estimate awhile back), my guess would be a pretty high percentage of coins are in play (no idea how big, but 60% or more wouldn't surprise me).

FWIW
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I received a package today (snail-mail) from the mint.....this is what I found...it was suppose to have (3) 2008 W ASE's........after a closer look, its obvious it had been opened before I opened it..no coins

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the difference between the brown and blue labels from NGC. >>

Blue labels are early release(NGC equiv of 1st strike)
    Brown labels are regular >>

Is there a difference in the MINTING process of the coin ?
    Buy the coin, flip the label image Only a few hundred can be special image
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Eric. WTF
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>y'know.. i've been wondering, and i'm sure some of you life forms have also been wondering how many of these coins have been bought and re-sold on eBay over and over again.. making the numbers of them tallied up and reported here sold on eBay to be quite specious.. >>

As of this morning 5,526 coins come up when searching over the past two months of "2007 reverse 2008" >>

that's fine.. now tell me how many of those 5,526 coins have been bought and re-sold once, twice, many times as each buyer flips it for a profit.. that was the point of my rumination.. no one has those statistics, and accurate statistics are virtually impossible because someone would have to keep a database of every auction of every coin in a slab, input the slab's serial number, then see if it shows up again in another auction.. and again, that doesn't take into account sellers who do Dutch auctions of 10 or 20 of these, have a photo of one with the serial number blocked out, so no one knows if they show up again when a buyer decides to flip it.. nor does it take into account the number of raws that HAVE no serial number, that were later slabbed and re-sold in a slab.. so there are 5,526 coins that come up searching over the past two months.. fine.. how many of them are the SAME coins that have been sold and re-sold multiple times?.. no one knows.. you'd have to spend 29 hours a day looking at auctions and noting the slabs' serial numbers to learn how many are "repeaters".. not ALL of them are bought and re-sold.. some number of them are bought and kept.. dealers aren't getting any more from the Mint, so they're buying them from collectors and re-selling them both on their own Web sites and on eBay.. eventually THAT well will run dry too and dealers will run out of them and have to pay higher and higher prices to get them for their customers, futher driving the prices up..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    I see no shortage of 40,000 gold spouse coins , either image Pick your babe , she's readily available.
    You guys can vote me off the island. It just takes a consensus. image
    you love me, you love me not, you love me, don't you image ?
  • Options

<< <i>I received a package today (snail-mail) from the mint.....this is what I found...it was suppose to have (3) 2008 W ASE's........after a closer look, its obvious it had been opened before I opened it..no coins

>>

(huge pictures snipped)..

nah.. they're not ripping open cartons searching for the error coins.. as somone else opined here earlier.. they take the utmost pride in their work.. those pictures should be sent to CW and NN along with some backstory.. that is FRONT PAGE material, dude..

hasn't anyone filed a FOIA request yet?.. i still hold that the Mint's 47,000 made number might be right (or it might be total baloney).. but from everything i've read, i firmly believe there's NO WAY 47,000 of them made it out of Memphis.. those pictures are just more evidence.. oh sure, that box with empty boxes in it could just be a wild coincidence..
    uh-huh..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options

<< <i>I am hoping that Jesse updates and publishes his volume/price graphs soon of the 2008 with 07 reverse coins.
    >>

I'll post a huge daily dump this evening.

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

As of this morning 5,526 coins come up when searching over the past two months of "2007 reverse 2008" >>

that's fine.. now tell me how many of those 5,526 coins have been bought and re-sold once, twice, many times as each buyer flips it for a profit.. that was the point of my rumination.. no one has those statistics, and accurate statistics are virtually impossible because someone would have to keep a database of every auction of every coin in a slab, input the slab's serial number, then see if it shows up again in another auction.. and again, that doesn't take into account sellers who do Dutch auctions of 10 or 20 of these, have a photo of one with the serial number blocked out, so no one knows if they show up again when a buyer decides to flip it.. nor does it take into account the number of raws that HAVE no serial number, that were later slabbed and re-sold in a slab.. so there are 5,526 coins that come up searching over the past two months.. fine.. how many of them are the SAME coins that have been sold and re-sold multiple times?.. no one knows.. you'd have to spend 29 hours a day looking at auctions and noting the slabs' serial numbers to learn how many are "repeaters".. not ALL of them are bought and re-sold.. some number of them are bought and kept.. dealers aren't getting any more from the Mint, so they're buying them from collectors and re-selling them both on their own Web sites and on eBay.. eventually THAT well will run dry too and dealers will run out of them and have to pay higher and higher prices to get them for their customers, futher driving the prices up.. >>

Well I'll admit to flipping 30 that I bought off Ebay in $150-175 range. Sold for $275-310. Seemed like a good deal at the time but as you have pointed out it distorts the sales numbers.
  • Options
    Who cares what the sales numbers are from re-flippers? Does it matter at all? All that matters are the number coins available for sale now and what they are bringing. If a coin is bought and sold 100,000 times, than every single sale should could as a completely separate statistical data point. If you wanted to know how many were flipped and re-flipped, good luck and let me know what your conclusion is after compiling that information image
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Ok, so I'm debating whether to send in my last 10 raw for grading with PCGS, they are of course non-fs, opinions, or is this a no brainer, keeping in mind I haven't slept for 8 days now...image
  • Options
    I sent in the only 6 i had just hoping one would fall thru the cracks and come back a 70.image
  • Options
    sure, send them in. You don't have anything to lose except money. image

I have a few that I might submit at the Baltimore Show this weekend, I just don't know if I will make it up there. I also have an unopened box of 2 that were shipped in late march that are eligible for FS. I will open them in front of a rep and if they are 08/07 I will submit them for the FS designation.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, so I'm debating whether to send in my last 10 raw for grading with PCGS, they are of course non-fs, opinions, or is this a no brainer, keeping in mind I haven't slept for 8 days now...image >>

Yeah, I have 21 raw that I'm not sure what I should do with....I don't know if I should send them to NGC, who I already have an account with, or PCGS, which I would have to sign up for first, or find someone to send them in for me...

-Paul
  • Options
    One more question, would it be correct only $14 per coin as non fs eligible and no variety fee?
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>Ok, so I'm debating whether to send in my last 10 raw for grading with PCGS, they are of course non-fs, opinions, or is this a no brainer, keeping in mind I haven't slept for 8 days now...image >>

You have to also pay for the variety service which is an extra $20. $34 in grading fees, plus shipping round trip. Are the 69's getting a premium? What are the 70's selling for? I think its like 1:20 in MS70. I took the 87 that I had and culled it down to 19 coins and sent those in.

396411 2008-W $1 Reverse of 2007 Eagle MS
    68 69 70 Total Graded (All grades)
    3 225 15 243

393058 2008-W $1 Eagle First Strike MS
    68 69 70 Total Graded (All grades)
    3 5,183 863 6,049
  • Options

<< <i>One more question, would it be correct only $14 per coin as non fs eligible and no variety fee? >>

That is correct. PCGS is not charging a variety fee on these anymore.
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    I thought somewhere in here we decided, or rather that they were not charging for the variety fee? Man you were too fast for me...Thx in the above post...image
  • Options

<< <i>Who cares what the sales numbers are from re-flippers? Does it matter at all? All that matters are the number coins available for sale now and what they are bringing. If a coin is bought and sold 100,000 times, than every single sale should could as a completely separate statistical data point. If you wanted to know how many were flipped and re-flipped, good luck and let me know what your conclusion is after compiling that information image >>

i'm not compiling any information.. you missed my point.. the point being, that the number of eBay listings people keep posting here is meaningless vis-a-vis the number of the coins that got out of Memphis.. because some significant proportion of those sales are the same coins going around and around again, many of their buyers turning into a seller, flipping it for a profit when someone else buys it and then does the same.. add that to the MANY photographs of boxes that look like they were rifled through, or the last example, which didn't even have any coins in it, just empty little blue boxes, and my point is, there is way too much evidence that there are far fewer than 47,000 of these coins in the hands of the public.. can we agree on that?..

i don't know how many, i don't know WHO does know how many, i think SOMEONE knows, but i don't know if we'll ever know how many, and i don't know and you don't know and no one really knows if the 47,000 number to begin with is utter dog poo or not.. does the gubmint ever lie?.. nooooooo of course not.. have we already forgotten the b.s. story of how metal shavings accidentally created the Extra Leaf Quarters?.. and how that was proven wrong?..

i DO appreciate the work you do compiling and posting those charts.. so don't take this as a personal attack.. it isn't..

look.. how many threads on these boreds have ever gone on over 2800 postings or whatever this novel is up to now?.. how many Moderns have shot up from $25.95 to over $500 raw to $5000.00 in MS70 in a month or two?.. the intensity of interest in these coins is beyond anything i've ever seen before..

• Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Of course there's no way of knowing how many of these have been counted over and over.
    I suppose we could guess, but that's all it would be. For example, a bunch of these were sold initially
    in the $150-$200 range. How long did many of those buyers wait before they sold most of/if not all of their
    coins? $250? $300? Say I then bought 10 coins at $300. I'm sure as hell selling at least 8 of them at $500 each!

I'm guessing that each time they get flipped, people may hang on to one or two and profit off the rest. So eventually,
    these will be VERY nicely dispersed with no one person or dealer holding too many. I know we've seen people on here with 100 or so,
    but I would honestly think that's the high point, unless there's someone on Ebay currently buying everything and holding.

Just my musings for the afternoon.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>

Yeah, I have 21 raw that I'm not sure what I should do with....I don't know if I should send them to NGC, who I already have an account with, or PCGS, which I would have to sign up for first, or find someone to send them in for me...

-Paul >>

I've been looking for a reason to join PCGS (all the dealers around me suck and give me lines like, "I don't submit moderns").
    Anyway, I used some of the profit off these coins to join PCGS IMMEDIATELY. It was a no brainer. I think I signed up as soon as
    I opened my Mint box. Just wondering if anyone else out there has done the same, either with PCGS or NGC?
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file