Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you don't want to be ripped off then don't use the service . Me, I am glad I use it for I have a PCGS graded reverse 70 to show for it that is worth megabucks compared to what I paid for it. It sure wouldn't be worth that with any other grading service. >>

PCGS graded coins get top dollar......why be penny foolish ? >>

you never sold an early release (NGC) MS70 2006 W UNC in a 20th anniversary set, then
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    PCGS is grading these and recognizing variety for no extra fee

That's good news. It's not like they have to do any real attribution.
    I mean you can tell the difference when one eyed drunk! image

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    Boatbldr, by the time your auction ends, it will be to the moon. I would include insurance even if you have to pay for it yourself. Don't forget to get a signature for Pay Pal because it is now over $250.

• Options
    this is the same item I was looking at..The reason i think it didnt really sell is that when you go to the purchess history
    all bids were declined showing none accepted ..
    i may be wrong..its happened before.
    JB
    Dare To Dream
  • Options
    I sure wish I bough more raw when I had the chance
    jb
    Dare To Dream
  • Options
    holy crap if that happens my daughter may be able to go to Stanford
    Dare To Dream
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Who said they were airtight? Both TPG's get coins with spots.

You want coins with no spots after they slab?

I am not wasting my time on earth "finding out why", I have found out a "how not to get spots"

You have the solution. >>

I haven't heard of NGC ASE's getting spots that's why I asked....If I had the solution for PCGS's spotting problem
    I would have collected the reward they offered....image >>

Both holders get spots. IMO, the PCGS holder is more airtight than NGC's possibly causing a micro-climate inside the slab. Using a Foodsaver to vacum out the air will remove most of that though I believe milkspots are caused from deposits on the planchets prior to being struck that combined with enviormental contact causes the spots to become visible. If that is the case then there is no telling if a Foodsaver simply delays the spots formation. >>

Any of you folks use Intercept Shield boxes? Anyone heard of milk or any spots with these? What a bummer to pay $5K for a PCGS FS only to end up with spots!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>Any of you folks use Intercept Shield boxes? Anyone heard of milk or any spots with these? What a bummer to pay $5K for a PCGS FS only to end up with spots! >>

Intercept Shield is designed to protect against corrosive gases in the air not contamination on a coins surface. PCGS does stand behind their product with the grade guarantee.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    No offense, friend... but why is it a rip-off if one sees a HUGE profit from the encapsulating entity ?
    If people pay more for one service over the other's it's either a peception of value or a perception of quality that brings higher prices in the market place, but I contend that it is not a rip-off.

It may seem insane to some but it's hardly price gouging. It's a price for a product and each company has their own pricing structures and their own reputation. If you are looking for "free" then it stands to reason you are upset. Added value isn't free.

No offense is taken at all. I appreciate your sharing your viewpoint. We just happen to disagree somewhat. I have no problem with paying for actual work performed. As such, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the same from others with whom I do business. That PCGS apparently reversed their position with respect to charging the $20.00 variety attribution for the Rev of 07' is actually quite revealing: evidently management performed a quick cost-benefit analysis and realized that the ill will generated by such a policy was not worth the additonal, marginal amount of revenue that it would provide (especially when their arch-rival had already adopted such a customer-friendly policy.

PCGS is wise not to fight this battle [and risk alienating loyal customers] and to instead be content with making a healthy profit from all of the services they offer. I am a relative newb to coin collecting, but I am not so naive as to think that loyal, long-time customers would desert PCGS or submit fewer coins only because of a single, greedy, customer unfriendly policy [such as the $20 variety fee for ASE Rev 07's one] But when enough insults and abuses (read: having more money squeezed out of you for less service/ being charged for a service that should already be included in the regular fees) is heaped on to customers, they do eventually leave (even if you are the 'big dog').
  • Options

Very Well Put!
  • Options
    PCGS is grading these and recognizing variety for no extra fee

I mean you can tell the difference when one eyed drunk!

Exactly! The basic service that PCGS offers (coin grading) already entails examining both sides of the coin. In the process of doing so, it is readily apparent whether an ASE has the reverse of 07' variety. Thus, they incur no additional expenses (manpower time, etc.) in 'attributing' said variety (it is a 'sunk cost' in economics speak), but they (under the previous policy) were greedily charging customers extra for what amounted to a non-existent 'added service'! It would be only a little less ridiculous than their instituting a policy that charges $20.00 for 'attributing' the date on an ASE!!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it seems to me those who have them graded and pay the extra for Early Release, or First Strike seldom worry about "extra' costs and I would also contend they are some of the most loyal customers that NGC and PCGS have. I respect your opinion Sturmgrenadier.

Just trying to see the "big picture". Even an extra $20 for attribution (if that were the case), which gives a seller of the coin an extra $80 to $1000 dollars in his pocket, is still a pretty good ROI.
    We already know people buy the coin and not the holder. So it's the value of the coin that drives the prices, not the label on it.
    For collectors of raw material, this is not even relevant. There are thousands more in the raw than will ever be encapsulated. That's an historical fact.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>PCGS is grading these and recognizing variety for no extra fee

I mean you can tell the difference when one eyed drunk!

Exactly! The basic service that PCGS offers (coin grading) already entails examining both sides of the coin. In the process of doing so, it is readily apparent whether an ASE has the reverse of 07' variety. Thus, they incur no additional expenses (manpower time, etc.) in 'attributing' said variety (it is a 'sunk cost' in economics speak), but they (under the previous policy) were greedily charging customers extra for what amounted to a non-existent 'added service'! It would be only a little less ridiculous than their instituting a policy that charges $20.00 for 'attributing' the date on an ASE!! >>

Wait, so I DON'T need to pay the variety fee when I send mine in to PCGS? image

Is this written anywhere? All I could find when I checked was that they were definitely calling it a "variety".
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    IwantNonCCsIwantNonCCs Posts: 369 ✭✭
    I choice to send mine to NGC rather than incure the fee, which may or may not exist for this coin.
    Kind of funny they haven't advertised if there isn't

I respect PCGS right to ask for it, if they chose. They have to come up with a single price for variety attribution. Wouldn't want them
    to charge per hour or per minute for each coin. So they come up with $20, which the realize sometimes works to their advantage and
    sometimes doesn't. They probably put alot of effort into ensuring each 3 legged buffalo or VAM is identified correctly, those they lose on, these
    they may gain on. In the end, a set price probably works best for all involved.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>If you don't want to be ripped off then don't use the service . Me, I am glad I use it for I have a PCGS graded reverse 70 to show for it that is worth megabucks compared to what I paid for it. It sure wouldn't be worth that with any other grading service. >>

you never sold an early release (NGC) MS70 2006 W UNC in a 20th anniversary set, then >>

• Options
    you gotta know these 2008/07 are climbing to the moon when a PCGS 1st strike 69 goes for retail $$ 500 + on Teletrade
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

you never sold an early release (NGC) MS70 2006 W UNC in a 20th anniversary set, then >>

Sold several of the NGC 1st strike 2006 Gold 3pc Anniv 70/70/ 70 sets , most I got was $$ 8900..the one PCGS 70/70/70 was for $$ 15,000
    The 2006 Buffalo gold prf....PCGS 1st strike 70.. $$$ 4300.00 the NGC Buffalo prf 70..$$ 1600.00 and on ...on image to the Mint
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meanwhile...back on topic...looks like we might see $500 for raws soon...

The last 2 days of ramping up has been WAY amazing. Where's the backflood of new coins -- are they non-existent?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    139 auctions
    -69 31/139 22.3%
    -70 48/139 34.5
    Other 60/139 43.2
  • Options
    Lol i can't believe this thread is still alive.
    -Rome is Burning

• Options

<< <i>Lol i can't believe this thread is still alive. >>

wait 20 years and say that.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    When submitting to PCGS, ask for the Variety to be recognized on the label, no need to pay as they dont charge for it

Also, designate if you want your coins encapsulated reverse showing or obverse showing on the face of the holder
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lol i can't believe this thread is still alive. >>

move on
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

How in the world can one holder carry a 5000 dollar premium over the other?????? Are early release and first strike the same thing? >>

yeah, basically they're just two different ways of saying the same thing.. it's a gimmicky marketing thing.. with more fees tacked on for good measure.. but one which seems to (seems?.. DOES!).. make a difference in how much someone is willing to pay.. now if you ask me, which you didn't, there can only be one "first strike" coin.. the first one struck with a die pair.. that's it.. and the first one off the first die pair is usually given to some dignitary or hoi polloi or Congresscritter and you see a picture of it in CW and NN of these proudly-smiling rich guys standing next to a coin press, one of them holding the first coin struck.. i've always wondered where that first coin goes.. does the bigwig get to keep it? buy it?..

i don't remember how many years ago this whole early releases / first strike thing started, but it hasn't been more than a couple'a three years or so.. but the funny thing is, even though both terms mean basically the same thing, company P won't recognize company N's designation and cross it over into their plastic with their designation.. i assume the opposite is also true, although i don't know of ANYONE who has ever crossed over a coin FROM company P to company N.. do you?..

as far as the wild price difference between comapny P's MS70 FS and company N's MS70 ER.. that's a whole 'nuther discussion.. like i said earlier, i have crossed company N's slab(s) over to company P's and gotten the SAME grade or even a bump up.. so you tell me why people are willing to sell a kidney to get company P's MS70 FS, but only willing to sell a toe for company N's.. >>

There is nothing wrong with FS as long as you define what it means and your collectors/customers understand your defintion. I believe NGC used FS too, but changed to ER as a result of litigation or pending/potential litigation from the Mint. So from that standpoint, any error/mistake coins NOT SUBMITTED in accordance with the description for FS, will not get the FS designation.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    I Don't see too many PCGS FIRST STRIKES out there ?

Have a good one !!!~David
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I Don't see too many PCGS FIRST STRIKES out there ?

That's right David!

Those are the most likely to be held as there was a limited supply with NGC having the first shot at grading and the PCGS FS 69 coming in initially around $200 (MCM had a dutch auction weeks ago that ended at $206!).

Now, as far as aftermarket retail offerings, Gainsville has none, MCM has one NGC ER 70 left; so ebay is the current home of these.

Miles

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    I just LOVE the guys who say this is going to tank...raws are selling for 20x issue price, and have the potential to go 20x that price, but still the naysayers come out...I'd rather look at the glass half-full and say how fortunate I am to possess a couple.
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Since the USMint has disavowed any sorting of coins according to strike, the only
    strike is against the buyers wallet, and it's nuclear, seeing the prices on the web.

This is perhaps a classic example of purchasing a product purely for it's packaging.

But it is a marriage of market appeal with fertile imagination.

J. Bridges may have known what he was saying in 1587. . .
  • Options
    I noticed that too..
    Maybe because those that have them are holding until reaches 10K
    I know I know Im a dreamer
    JB
    Dare To Dream
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

I'd like to officially thank the ebay'er who didn't pay for the NGC ER MS70 they bought from me two weeks ago and for which I now got my Fee refunded.

As they are going for $200 more now !!! image

• Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666

<< <i>I'd like to officially thank the ebay'er who didn't pay for the NGC ER MS70 they bought from me two weeks ago and for which I now got my Fee refunded.

As they are going for $200 more now !!! image >>

i had a guy get NARU`d after winning 3 of them at $276 each in a dutch auction for 12 coins a couple weeks ago. i sold them WAY to early.

i would like to thank him tooimage

edited for clarification
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    I dont know where the ceiling is but I think it is being raised.

Too many dollars chasing too few coins.

150 listed on ebay atm. I believe we will see 100 by the end of the week.

However the higher prices may drive others to list the ones I sold them @ $300 =.=
  • Options

<< <i>I dont know where the ceiling is but I think it is being raised.

Too many dollars chasing too few coins.

150 listed on ebay atm. I believe we will see 100 by the end of the week.

However the higher prices may drive others to list the ones I sold them @ $300 =.= >>

I agree that some early buyers might start reselling. I am kicking myself for not buying the MS70ERs when Gainsville and ModernCoinMart had them for around $300. But I did get a few from the Mint and I bought some MS69ERs early so I'm sitting OK right now!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    Eh its all ok. I dont have a problem with my buyers making some money. I made some they make some its a great free market economy. However I really forsee this item to actually go above the 95's. Less are aware and the mint doesnt really have an exact count.

I think in 2 to 3 months we can compare NGC and PCGS pop reports to get an approximate number however 69's will be resubmited raising that number fictionally.

So who knows how they will come up with the mintage for these.

I was one of the lucky few to get a handfull from the mint. Do I feel bad I sold mine early. Not really. But its all a game and the future will only tell what these coins will really do. The last few I have I wont sell for under a few thousand. I would rather keep.

Shannon
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day..........These things are just going crazy..

Oh, and John Nanney..........You Still Suck........image
  • Options
    For the very few who were very lucky enough to buy the ER NGC70's from MCM and Gainsville when the prices were very low. Would you venture resubmitting this to PCGS and hope that you get a PCGS70? Although you will not get any guarantees and might get a MS69 instead and not get the FS designation?

(wish i was that lucky...image )
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to officially thank the ebay'er who didn't pay for the NGC ER MS70 they bought from me two weeks ago and for which I now got my Fee refunded.

As they are going for $200 more now !!! image >>

I'd like to thank my guy as well, he bought 2 ngc 69's 1 @ 306 and a second at 189.00, he wanted me to cancel the first and hinted if I didn't he just return it as not described....and to make the deal go through I even offered him if he just followed through on both I'd throw in 3 additional 07 w silver eagles which would have dropped his cost on each to approx $200 and some change, he declined and we canceled both purchases, guy had perfect feedback I think over 400 transactions as well.....now blocked.... Ebay name: tomerdman
  • Options
    Blocked
  • Options
    Updated SAE Error counts based on today's revised NGC counts:

US Mint 2008W SAE production: 295,059 (haven't yet seen an update but it should be a higher number)
    2008W SAE (07 rev) graded by NGC & PCGS: 12,346 (4.2% of Mint production)
    2008W SAE (07 rev) graded by NGC & PCGS as ER /FS: 8,224 (2.8% of Mint production)

Perhaps someone with a subscription could post these PGCS counts (and the effective date) for the 2008W:
    1) Single coins, 2) First Strike (393058), 3) 07 rev error (396411), & 4) 07 rev error FS (396437)

Thanks...
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I blocked them too.
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No BIN's left less than $500. Very few raws remain listed AT ALL today -- they have simply vanished.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Latest graded population reports:

Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    I like those numbers image

Have a good one!!!~David
  • Options
    PCGS MS69 FS now at $700
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS MS69 FS now at $700 >>

Now that's good to see!image
  • Options
    Blocked!
  • Options
    so right now were seeing about 22000

• Options

<< <i>so right now were seeing about 22000 >>

12,357 Total PCGS & ATS
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i think i will keep my last one it is an ER NGC MS70, serial number ends in my birth year.

anyone who is keeping any kinda ebay tally, mint tally, web tally, oh BST, too.....

......i bought and sold all of mine via ebay and web, BST, was in it for the flip to "earn" a free one, i guess, unless it will hit $1.5k then it will be sold.

thanks for the ride, mine ended....i should have backed up a much bigger truck CoinBoy!

i think i need a give-a-way? 2000 posts!
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>so right now were seeing about 22000 >>

12,357 Total PCGS & ATS >>

Pardon the ignorant question, perhaps too much sun & Coronas over the weekend, but what's ATS?image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file