Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    ATS - Across the Street, as in NGC image
    Completed BS&T Deals

halfnut X3, Dabigkahuna, Kaelasdad, LALASD4, harvey85422458,
    fivecents, Coll3ctor, cucamongacoin, Becoka
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ATS - Across the Street, as in NGC image >>

Thanks! I suppose ATS is alot easier to type than NGC.image
  • Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Please show me the "Light"..... Based on what I read in your recent threads, the NGC "NON Early Release" 2008/07 ASE's are scarcer today than the similar NGC "Early Release" error coins. Might that trend remain as so many of the NGC coins were found and slabbed early on ??? Please comment and enlighten me !! Happy Memorial Day. Our youngest is staioned in Iraq on his first deployment. Our Irish Wolfhound has become a certified Therapy Dog and visits such places as "the Fisher House in SA, Tx where Zoe brightens up many of our country's finest who are under going medical therapy !! They are our true Heroes !!! We couldn't enjoy collecting coins if our country were not safe !! Mark.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

<< <i>

Thanks! I suppose ATS is alot easier to type than NGC.image >>

It's only out of respect image

Have a good one!!!~David
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    Thanks to FLBuffaloHunter for the PCGS data. The revised counts are now: Data error deleted 5/26/08 to avoid confusion. Corrected data on page 137

Hopefully, I can locate an updated Mint production number for the 2008W SAEs this week...
  • Options

<< <i>i think i need a give-a-way? 2000 posts! >>

CONGRATS 57LOADED on your 2000 Post!!! Now do i win any prize??? That NGC MS70 ER 08/07 ASE sounds just fine... image
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭

......i bought and sold all of mine via ebay and web, BST, was in it for the flip to "earn" a free one, i guess, unless it will hit $1.5k then it will be sold.

thanks for the ride, mine ended....i should have backed up a much bigger truck CoinBoy!

i think i need a give-a-way? 2000 posts! >>

Stuff it in a box & write your return address on it, It will be @ that price soon image Or you could have a 2000 post giveaway, Hint hint image

Have a good one!!!~David P.S. I did my 3000 post giveaway imageimage
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    maybe give away a 07 reverse

• Options

US Mint 2008W SAE production: 295,059 (5/19/08 data)

WHERE DO YOU GET this supposed data from the mint states 74000? Where did this number get drafted from?
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Wow, $500+ for raws already?

I sold most of mine at the $300 level. Sure, I'd love to sell 'em for $500,
    but I'm happy with the 1200% profit over the Mint price.

I've learned a lot on these boards, and when the PM's were smoking hot,
    the most important thing I've learned is "Remember, It's only profit if you take it."

Besides, I'm happy with the NGC ER 69's and the two "shiny" ones I'm sending in
    to PCGS this week.

Oh, and I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to the Syracuse Lax team, 2008 National Champs!

Happy Memorial Day all!
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>US Mint 2008W SAE production: 295,059 (5/19/08 data)

WHERE DO YOU GET this supposed data from the mint states 74000? Where did this number get drafted from? >>

I think you mean 47,000? This info came directly from Mint reps and was reported in Coin World, Numismatic News, etc in late April/early May.

However, it is not known how many of those potential 47,000 actually made it out. There is much anecdotal evidence on this thread alone that the Mint was actively searching orders after the error was discovered.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And our retail connection, John at MCM is now selling his NGC ER 70's at $1335!!
    An increase of over $400 from earlier today thus the ball is rolling uphill with gravity confused!

Yes, I see alot of us sold a few at the least & lower prices assuming this reverse run had the same qualities of previous MINT issues but low (high) and behold (shoulda held), history did not repeat itself and we are in a massive bull run!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Right now the biggest problem with these is every time I sell one the price goes up overnight...I backed the biggest truck I could find, what with gas being so expensive and all...image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And our retail connection, John at MCM is now selling his NGC ER 70's at $1335!!
    An increase of over $400 from earlier today thus the ball is rolling uphill with gravity confused!

Yes, I see alot of us sold a few at the least & lower prices assuming this reverse run had the same qualities of previous MINT issues but low (high) and behold (shoulda held), history did not repeat itself and we are in a massive bull run!

Miles >>

Anyone ever sold one to a customer and then offered that same customer more for it later before it shipped?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>US Mint 2008W SAE production: 295,059 (5/19/08 data)
    WHERE DO YOU GET this supposed data from the mint states 74000? Where did this number get drafted from? >>

First, the 295,059 number is the production of all 2008 W SAEs (that includes the mint's estimate of 47,000 07 rev error coins). The initial source was Coin News, May 9, 2008. Two weeks later I found the updated production number of 295,059, but I lost the link to the source.

BTW, that number has been difficult to find. It would be nice if the Mint had it availavble on their website...

I believe the "74000" number you mentioned, is actually the Mint's estimate of the number of 07 reverse error coins, which was 47,000... image
  • Options
    Last weeks Mint Stats:

Link
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    It seems like this is a known unknown...
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    Check this out....Holy Cow!! image

Link
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious, does anyone know what these were going for when first offered by MCM and Gainesville?

"LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE"

Let us never forget those who serve that we may be free. Many have sacrificed some, some have sacrificed all. G-d Bless America.

A happy and safe Memorial Day to all.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Check this out....Holy Cow!! image

Link >>

casscoins is one of the forum members I think.

Congrats

Joe
  • Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just curious, does anyone know what these were going for when first offered by MCM and Gainesville? >>

Gainesville was selling ER 70 at $389 and ER 69 for $215 around 5/2/08. I know because I bought one each at the time. MCM was slightly higher at the time.
    "What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Check this out....Holy Cow!! image

Link >>

casscoins is one of the forum members I think.

Congrats

Joe >>

Crud. I sold 2 of those for half of that a few days ago. Glad they got a good deal though because I did also.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 475 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Latest graded population reports:

image >>

FLB, where did you find this information on the PCGS website? I can't seem to locate it.
  • Options
    Yes! FLBuffaloHunter found my "lost" data source for the mint production number of 295,056.

Using the updated production data, we now have: Data error deleted 5/26/08 to avoid confusion. Corrected data on page 137
  • Options

<< <i>FLB, where did you find this information on the PCGS website? I can't seem to locate it. >>

Those are the population reports from PCGS. You have to be a paid member to access them.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>FLB, where did you find this information on the PCGS website? I can't seem to locate it. >>

Those are the population reports from PCGS. You have to be a paid member to access them. >>

I am a member, but not very skilled at their website.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes! FLBuffaloHunter found my "lost" data source for the mint production number of 295,056.

Using the updated production data, we now have:

US Mint 2008W SAE production: 306,750 (5/18/08)
    2008W SAE (07 rev) graded by NGC & PCGS: 21,474 (7.0% of Mint production)
    2008W SAE (07 rev) graded by NGC & PCGS as ER /FS: 13,694 (4.46% of Mint production) >>

I think something is incorrect here. I total all graded NGC and PCGS 08 rev 07 at 12,357. Did I miss something?
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

• Options

<< <i>I am a member, but not very skilled at their website. >>

The link is at the top of the PCGS homepage:

• Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

it's JATLATSPLTU

figure that one out..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    Thanks a million FLB.... guess someone else might want to help by sending me a PM. I do know where the Population Report is located but the breakdown for the '08 ASE with '07 reverse is not listed where I am looking.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks a million FLB.... guess someone else might want to help by sending me a PM. I do know where the Population Report is located but the breakdown for the '08 ASE with '07 reverse is not listed where I am looking. >>

Just put in the individual coin number at the top right hand corner of the display.
  • Options

<< <i>I think something is incorrect here. I total all graded NGC and PCGS 08 rev 07 at 12,357. Did I miss something? >>

UGH! You are correct! When I read FLB's Table data I inadvertantly entered the NCG data into the PCGS cells of my spreadsheet... image Thank you for tactfully pointing-out my embarrasing mistake...

The corrected numbers are:

US Mint 2008W SAE production: 306,750 (5/18/08)
    2008W SAE (07 rev) graded by NGC & PCGS: 12,357 (4.03% of Mint production)
    2008W SAE (07 rev) graded by NGC & PCGS as ER /FS: 8,224 (2.65% of Mint production)
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks a million FLB.... guess someone else might want to help by sending me a PM. I do know where the Population Report is located but the breakdown for the '08 ASE with '07 reverse is not listed where I am looking. >>

Put the coin numbers in the 'Lookup by number' box on the top right side of the population report page:

2008-W Burnished ASE with 2007 Reverse First Strike - 396437

2008-W Burnished ASE with 2007 Reverse Non-First Strike - 396411

• Options
    Thanks Coinsponge. I appreciate your help!
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    y'know.. i've been wondering, and i'm sure some of you life forms have also been wondering how many of these coins have been bought and re-sold on eBay over and over again.. making the numbers of them tallied up and reported here sold on eBay to be quite specious..

the actual number of them sold on eBay (not the number of auctions, but the actual number of UNIQUE slabs).. could be much smaller than whatever total anyone has come up with due to people buying at $x, then re-selling, or, flipping if you prefer.. at $x+, then someone else buys the same coin and flips it for $x++ and so on..

with an infinite amount of time and monkeys someone who is not me could probably figure this out if they have bothered to keep track of every single eBay auction for these coins (in slabs.. with visible serial numbers) going back sixty days.. because it hasn't even BEEN sixty days since the first one(s) were slabbed and sold on eBay..

and then you have to take into account the sellers who have oh.. a dozen of them and put up a picture of one with the serial number blocked out.. and use verbiage like "you'll get one just like this"..

how would you ever know if that same slab was re-sold later by whoever bought it, at a higher price?.. i'd betcha there are some of these slabs that have been bought and re-sold half a dozen times, each seller thinking "cool i just made a hundred bucks profit" and then a week later HIS same coin sells again for $100.00 more.. lather, rinse, repeat.. as the same slabs get bought and re-sold again over and over.. which is why i think the number of actual slabs sold on eBay so far is much smaller than the number of auctions.. if ya catch my meaning, if ya get my drift.. and this doesn't even take into account the number of raws that sold on eBay and were slabbed and later re-sold slabbed, bought, and re-sold again and again.. each time at a higher price..

my brain hurts..

"Memorial day is not about mattress sales"..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    No problem. One thing however. I believe the 12,357 is inclusive of the ER/FS numbers. I have 8,224 for ER/FS and 4,133 for regular submission for a total of all graded NGC and PCGS at 12,357. Do you concur? Never mind. I looked at your post again and figured out that is what you were saying.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No problem. One thing however. I believe the 12,357 is inclusive of the ER/FS numbers. I have 8,224 for ER/FS and 4,133 for regular submission for a total of all graded NGC and PCGS at 12,357. Do you concur? >>

Is this the new updated numbers , the week of 5-26 ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No problem. One thing however. I believe the 12,357 is inclusive of the ER/FS numbers. I have 8,224 for ER/FS and 4,133 for regular submission for a total of all graded NGC and PCGS at 12,357. Do you concur? >>

Is this the new updated numbers , the week of 5-26 ? >>

Those are numbers posted to date.
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS MS69 FS now at $700 >>

Now that's good to see!image >>

I bought one last week for 411.00...more than 50 % up in a week ????
  • Options

<< <i>y'know.. i've been wondering, and i'm sure some of you life forms have also been wondering how many of these coins have been bought and re-sold on eBay over and over again.. making the numbers of them tallied up and reported here sold on eBay to be quite specious..

the actual number of them sold on eBay (not the number of auctions, but the actual number of UNIQUE slabs).. could be much smaller than whatever total anyone has come up with due to people buying at $x, then re-selling, or, flipping if you prefer.. at $x+, then someone else buys the same coin and flips it for $x++ and so on..

with an infinite amount of time and monkeys someone who is not me could probably figure this out if they have bothered to keep track of every single eBay auction for these coins (in slabs.. with visible serial numbers) going back sixty days.. because it hasn't even BEEN sixty days since the first one(s) were slabbed and sold on eBay..

and then you have to take into account the sellers who have oh.. a dozen of them and put up a picture of one with the serial number blocked out.. and use verbiage like "you'll get one just like this"..

how would you ever know if that same slab was re-sold later by whoever bought it, at a higher price?.. i'd betcha there are some of these slabs that have been bought and re-sold half a dozen times, each seller thinking "cool i just made a hundred bucks profit" and then a week later HIS same coin sells again for $100.00 more.. lather, rinse, repeat.. as the same slabs get bought and re-sold again over and over.. which is why i think the number of actual slabs sold on eBay so far is much smaller than the number of auctions.. if ya catch my meaning, if ya get my drift.. and this doesn't even take into account the number of raws that sold on eBay and were slabbed and later re-sold slabbed, bought, and re-sold again and again.. each time at a higher price..

my brain hurts..

"Memorial day is not about mattress sales".. >>

Some of that's got to be happening. Only Sherlock Holmes would be able to figure out how much though.
  • Options
    coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666

<< <i>No problem. One thing however. I believe the 12,357 is inclusive of the ER/FS numbers. I have 8,224 for ER/FS and 4,133 for regular submission for a total of all graded NGC and PCGS at 12,357. Do you concur? Never mind. I looked at your post again and figured out that is what you were saying. >>

add to that the ones sitting at PCGS right now which is probably quite a few that will ship out in the next few weeks.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No problem. One thing however. I believe the 12,357 is inclusive of the ER/FS numbers. I have 8,224 for ER/FS and 4,133 for regular submission for a total of all graded NGC and PCGS at 12,357. Do you concur? Never mind. I looked at your post again and figured out that is what you were saying. >>

add to that the ones sitting at PCGS right now which is probably quite a few that will ship out in the next few weeks. >>

It would be nice to know that number. Maybe NN can get us those numbers. I just wish the mint woudld "fess up" and tell us the exact numbers that were RELEASED. Surely they must know.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Out of the gate, I believe we started selling the 69's at $69!!!!!The number on the 70's was $119 I think.....

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Out of the gate, I believe we started selling the 69's at $69!!!!!The number on the 70's was $119 I think.....

John >>

I got a couple 69's from Gainesville Coins at that price...I was going to buy 4, but decided I might regret it. AHHHH!!! image

-Paul
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I doubt very much that you will see a big increase in the numbers of first strike coins at this point because you have to send them in unopened and everybody here knows what your chances of having some 07 reverses is in unopened boxes is. That is why the 69's and 70's are going to keep climbing to astronomical highs. In the next 2 weeks these prices are going to shock everybody.
  • Options
    Sweet!!! I'm the first to list an MS68 reverse of 2007! Well at least if you search on "2008 reverse 2007 MS68"

Linky
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I started it out for you. I bid $250. good luck
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sweet!!! I'm the first to list an MS68 reverse of 2007! Well at least if you search on "2008 reverse 2007 MS68"

Linky >>

Sweet! I want it.

How much for the little reverse (in a bad spanish accent)?

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file