Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No problem. My wife is literally due any day now and we have been running around getting everything squared away with that. We drove 3 hours round trip today to pick up a glider-rocker chair she just had to have. My dad told me to just do what she says and I'll be OK.

A happy mother is a happy home is what he keeps telling me...

The smartest thing I have heard on this forum.

Joe
  • Options
    CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the stats, Jesse; very illuminating. And best wishes to you and your wife for the baby. imageimageimage
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THANKS Jesse for the updates -- and yes, get some sleep NOW. We should relish in your stat's since we may not see you much soon!

Your stat's articulate clearly what is to be an obvious supply vs demand show of simple economics. I still believe scarcity is the issue here and not market saturation. It will not surprise me in the least if the FOIA suggests the possibility of a lower mintage than 47k (if it suggests anything at all). The bottoming and upswing in prices at the lowest point in the year (summer) tells the story. Hold on to your hat this fall when the BUY is on!
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Alright!!! Finally back on topic! Hey Jess...thanks for the dump! What's a sepculator?image
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Alright!!! Finally back on topic! Hey Jess...thanks for the dump! What's a sepculator?image >>

It's someone who can not spell.image

As for these great coins, I have three of them that have fingerprints on them. I got them directly from the US Mint, I wonder if they are from the person that was minting them... I wonder if I could take them down to the police station and have the police run them. I would imagine that every US Mint worker has been fingerprinted.... I could try to get a TPG to generate a unique slab for them. They are all in the exact same place too. On the reverse of the coin above the left wing of the eagle.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I've got one too (fingerprint) on one of my wonderful NGC ms69 ER slabs [ug] -- how'd it make it to 69 I ask?
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There are an awful lot of listings ending tomorrow. We could see them down in the 40s by tomorrow night. >>

I count 76 auctions with 34 ending by midnight tomorrow.

That leaves 42 plus any new listings.

Now a FOIA report of 30,000 released would be just the thing to start a new week.

Did anyone gve John Nanney a "You Suck" recently? image

Rookie Joe

Edited for usual spelling etc. >>

30,00 way too high... this board led to a lot of publicity to enter the 2008/07 sweeps..that could have led to a vast majority graded and already counted as knownimage
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165

Thanks for everyone's input. Special thanks goes out to Jessewvu for all the time and effort put forth
    in the makings of these charts and to Lope for his efforts as well. Both of you are to be commended.

To this day I have yet to pull a listing once bidding has begun - but for the first time I found myself
    having serious second thoughts as to why I even listed it at all, no more- no less.

In the last 5 years that I've been at this, on ebay, I've seen items go from small amounts to good money
    literally within the last few seconds, many times. Once an item is up I just live with whatever happens and
    find that in the end things do have a way of balancing themselves out.

Thanks again for your opinions and thoughts as well as your monumental efforts.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't have a clue Tony, but I am sure not going to try it. >>

You've got to admit, tt would be kind of a novelty to see. >>

Here's a thread I found with an eagle carried around for 4 1/2 years.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Anybody awake out there?
  • Options
    wha ...huh!? whats up!??? Darn ...i was dreaming that the FOIA cameback with less thank 40K minted and even less than that got out of the mint. thanks for waking me up Pitboss. image
  • Options
    I been sleeping all day too. What's up?
  • Options
    Just checked ---71 listings with 20 set to disappear over the next few hours.
  • Options
    15 of these out of the 71 were just listed today...must be resellers.
  • Options
    Trying to take advantage of Sunday's sales.

56 of them are buy it now.
  • Options
    I was trying to make a Cashback purchase and can't seem to get it to work today -- anyone else have a problem?

[on a 08/07, of course...]
  • Options
    I never could get it to work for me.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960

<< <i>I never could get it to work for me. >>

It was too many steps for me to follow image

Seriously, though. I would have used it had I been in the market for a high budget coin (i.e. another 08/07) but I'm
    not right now. So I haven't even bothered on small items.

No FOIA info yet....check hasn't posted yet either.
    They were probably surprised to see the check show up in the mail just a few days after they sent that letter to me image
    So now they're feverishly copying records and busting out the Sharpies.
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    OK, I made it in to Cashback -- nailed a couple of raws on BIN @ 20% rebate. Final price will be $360 each -- not bad!

Sometimes it works simple, other times it takes some patience.
  • Options
    I just plain have no patience for that stuff. I guess I am just getting too old to figure it out.
  • Options
    pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Hey Lope, did my check get to ya? Hope so, Gayla
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Two PCGS 69's not 1st strikes sold on Teletrade tonight for $550 plus juices, and there are a few 1st strikes on ebay for $560 with free shipping of course BIN's. So what's up with this?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Two PCGS 69's not 1st strikes sold on Teletrade tonight for $550 plus juices, and there are a few 1st strikes on ebay for $560 with free shipping of course BIN's. So what's up with this? >>

Insanity???? image
  • Options
    CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    The difference between PCGS MS69 ( $ 444.00 sunday night ) and the same in first strike ( $ 580.00 )
    $136.00 difference. image
  • Options
    I guess we should bring our FS over to Teletrade then??? image
  • Options
    What's going on at teletrade?
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>I guess we should bring our FS over to Teletrade then??? image >>

Nah, forget teletrade, Ebay is still the best place to sell, I sold this one a few days ago....linkimage
  • Options
    Wow, that's great!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's all the craze over less than $18.00 worth of silver ?
    ... we got a bunch of coin geeks here !
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Latest greysheet 450 bid / 485 asked.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Has anyone noticed this doesn't have a price when you enter them into your registry? Better yet, does anyone have an idea how long it takes for a price to show up on a new coin like this in the registry?
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    56 Auctions with 6 ending tonight.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess we should bring our FS over to Teletrade then??? image >>

Nah, forget teletrade, Ebay is still the best place to sell, I sold this one a few days ago....linkimage >>

I am glad to see you get that for it. I have 11 just like it and am in a holding pattern until after the first of the year.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    forum members who can attend need to make a list of talking points...

link to Mint info about Director questions
  • Options
    I wish I could attend. There sure are a lot of questions to be asked. Hopefully somebody from the forum will be able to attend and ask the right questions.
  • Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817
    I finally picked one up (PCGS MS69). It's not that I really wanted one, I just got tired of following this thread without feeling like a member of the club! imageimage
  • Options
    Good for you! You will not be sorry.
  • Options
    imageimageDAC076
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I was one of the lucky ones and got 2 from the mint............
    I was just wondering?.........am I rich yet??image

Stefanie
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I picked this year to stop collecting them. Otherwise I was on the auto ship list to get 100 every year.

I forgot to cancel so they shipped 100 to me. I was so close. I told the PO to return to sender so I'll never know if I would have had any or not. image
  • Options
    Last year i bought 100 2007 w's to flip,they are sitting in my closet still sealed in the boxes,so this year i told myself not to buy them again to flip just to have money tied up in my closet.Well,just for heck of it,i ordered 5 just to have and wouldn't you know it,i get 5 reverse's.If those 2007-w's would have gone up and i sold them,i would have ordered 100 of the 2008's.Hmmmm,would i have gotten all reverses,some one slap me.
  • Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817
    image You guys sound like me back when I was buying Silver Proof sets as they were issued. Got a bunch of 2000's and 2002's. No 1999's or 2001's, though!
  • Options
    I ordered (20) and (25) , (2) and (3) 2008 ASE "w" unc on subscription. they all came in early on release this year but I didn't get even one. The mint also sent my (20) 2007's unc at the same time??
    they were backordered forever.

Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.
  • Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Remember I mentioned that I ordered a few more from the Mint last week just for fun?

Got them today. All 08/08's. This will be my first ever return to the Mint. And before all the
    ethics professors come out and yell and me, I was going to keep them, but 2 of the 3 capsules were
    completely apart with the coins rolling around the shipping box. It's ridiculous how bad the quality is
    this year. I have no patience for garbage.

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Remember I mentioned that I ordered a few more from the Mint last week just for fun?

Got them today. All 08/08's. This will be my first ever return to the Mint. And before all the
    ethics professors come out and yell and me, I was going to keep them, but 2 of the 3 capsules were
    completely apart with the coins rolling around the shipping box. It's ridiculous how bad the quality is
    this year. I have no patience for garbage. >>

this will be a sleeper for 2008
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I picked this year to stop collecting them. Otherwise I was on the auto ship list to get 100 every year.

I forgot to cancel so they shipped 100 to me. I was so close. I told the PO to return to sender so I'll never know if I would have had any or not. image >>

image so sorry for your loss.....dang it!!image

Stefanie

• Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Remember I mentioned that I ordered a few more from the Mint last week just for fun?

this year. I have no patience for garbage. >>

how many times does this make that someone has reported ordering the 2008-Ws (in hopes of getting you know what).. and opening the box to find opened capsules with coins rolling around?.. doesn't this just reinforce the theory that the guys in Memphis were furiously tearing through boxes looking for the error coins and sloppily replacing them?.. maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but reports similar to yours have been legion in this thread.. in what kind of box did they put the three little blue boxes?.. was it a huge, over-sized box with some half-deflated airbags inside?.. when they ship two -W ASEs, they come in a very thin, white cardboard box with a tear strip, so there's no room for the little blue boxes to fall open and the capsules to pop open at all.. but it seems like when they ship an order of more than two at a time, they use some ridiculously huge box and they're just banging around inside.. those airbags don't do much of anything.. so it's possible it was just simply a very sloppy packaging job, or it's also possible that the box was pre-packed, and put in the "there are three of them in this box" bin.. then ripped into, searched, the coins sloppily replaced, and then put into another box and sent on its merry way to you..

you shouldn't have any guilt about returning them if only for the reason that they arrived the way they did.. but in order to get your return shipping refunded, you have to check off a reason other than "changed my mind" or "arrived too late".. and they won't automatically refund your shipping if you check the "damaged" reason.. you have to call them and ask that your return shipping costs be refunded.. then wait a few weeks and eventually a check will show up in the mail.. otherwise, if you don't check "damaged" and follow it up with a phone call, they're just going to refund you $25.95 x 3 by the same method you paid for the order, (if you used plastic, you get a credit back to the plastic.. if you paid by check, you get a refund by check..) .. and that's it.. and no matter which box you check off as the reason you're returning them, even "damaged".. you don't get the original shipping (to you) charge refunded at all.. only the return (to them) shipping charge, and only if you call and ask for it..

maybe you already know all this stuff, in which case.. "nevermind"..

Harv
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    Good advice hrlaser. I shipped back some bad 2007s last year and just ate the shipping on them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't those who got the 100 count sealed boxes get 08/08? I thought the 07/08s were the ones ordered in smaller quantities. I also thought that most of the folks who have subscriptions did not get them either, that they started coming out when they got a bit deeper into the first run.

I'm sure this was answered 3000 or 4000 posts ago, but this is still a great topic and post!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    I ordered 12 and got 12 08/07.
    I didn't even realize it was.

sorry guys!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file