Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    wooo hooo! beautiful pickup!
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    Another great pickup!! I know you were a little disappointed that you didn't win the last one that sold on ebay last month. This just shows that being patient pays off in the long run.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Keep on crossin' those off!

Nice pickup image
  • Another great score, Mike. Congrats!
    Thanks
    Sean

Always Looking for vintage hockey autographs

The Broderick Collection
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Special thanks to HockeyAutoCollector on this one for a huge assist. Without Sean, this one would not have been possible for me to buy. Thanks Sean, you've got an amazing signed hockey rookie collection, and thanks for helping me add this one to mine.

This card has been tough for me to find, as the raw card itself is quite expensive and even the low grade ones go for big $$ on ebay. This one is in at least a 4 condition, and relatively nicely centered with great eye appeal (at least to me, but I'm a bit biased image ) Signed nicely the way a card from the 50's should be, in blue pen.

1958 Topps Bobby Hull

Buying US Presidential autographs
    I absolutely loved to watch Professional Wrestling growing up. After seeing Dpeck's threads on the 82 All Stars on CU Forums, I became interested in these cards again as the sets contained many HOF'ers and legends of wrestling from the time period that I was watching it. I bought several signed cards from Rob (Wrestlingcardking) and recently discovered that a guy that I do a lot of business with outside of this forum, has a bunch signed as well. I bought several of the hardest autographed ones to get from him, and here is the first. Bruiser Brody met an untimely death in Puerto Rico in 1988 as he was alledgedly murdered in a locker room shower. His autographed items are TOUGH. I got to see Brody when I was a teenager in person as they put on a show on my Jr. High football field, I remember being so excited that night and couldn't believe how big these guys were. Bruiser has been honored by two wrestling Halls of Fame in Japan and was named to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame in 1996

1982 Wrestling All Stars Bruiser Brody

This guy is currently not a HOF'er. Might get in eventually, might not. Had a relatively short 11 year career. Played in 8 consecutive All Star Games and was the 1944 National League MVP. In addition, he played on 3 World Series winning teams.

1948 Bowman Marty Marion PSA/DNA

When you factor in his international career, this guy had a HOF career. I bet he gets in one day.

NBA Sixth Man of the Year (1996)
    Euroleague Final Four MVP (1990–1991, 1993)
    1990 FIBA World Championship MVP
    Euroscar Player of the Year (1990–1991, 1994, 1996, 1998)
    Mister Europa Player of the Year (1990–1992, 1996)
    1991 European Championship MVP
    3x NBA Champion

1993 Classic Toni Kukoc

• cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    That's a nice Kukoc, who'd you get it. I doubt he'll make the hall as he was too one dimensional. Love the card!

<< <i>That's a nice Kukoc, who'd you get it. I doubt he'll make the hall as he was too one dimensional. Love the card! >>

I bought it from fellow board member airjoedan. There are a ton of one dimensional players in the HOF, and I think his succesful transition from international star to the NBA game will help Kukoc. One nice aspect of the basketball HOF is that it's not just an NBA HOF and the international players get a decent look.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Brody is just simply awesome!!!

Bring out the other big guns!!!

<< <i>That Brody is just simply awesome!!!

Bring out the other big guns!!! >>

Thanks David! They are coming, I like to space them out some image

Mike
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Nice Kucoc!! He was one of the most under rated players in the 90's. I would love to see him get into the HOF one day.
    K, I won't steal your thunder and disclose them.

I really don't ever think another one of these signed Brody cards will surface. When the seller you bought the card from told me about the Nick Bockwinkle story and how he took the card and said he did not know he had a baseball card I realized the stories of how rare these cards are were true.

I think Brody is one of the most underated cards in the set and his card has been building steam. He is one of the guys I have been loading up on.

There is a Hogan you should look at on EBAY. It is an EX 5 becuase of a surface wrinkle of some kind on the back. I just bought a lot of cards from the seller Greg off EBAY and he is a legit seller. If you want his email send me a PM. Great crack out to get signed.

You're right Mike and hope he gets in. I just think if Rodman can't get in, being the best rebounder I've ever seen & one of the top defenders of our era... It will be tough for Kukoc.
    Bought this one from Cubfan89. He got it signed in person at a broadcasting appearance by Reggie Miller. This is another one off my signature line want list. Thanks Louie!!

1988 Fleer Reggie Miller

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on getting one of your top sigs wanted with this Miller, now hopefully Piazza can be found soon.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Added 3 more Wrestling All Stars HOF'ers that I bought from Wrestlingcardking. Chief Wahoo actually has an earlier football card, but I believe this is his first Wrestling card.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Cowboy Bill Watts

1982 Wrestling All Stars Chief Wahoo McDaniel

1983 Wrestling All Stars Superstar Billy Graham

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WTG Mike ... I remember these guys wrestling back in the late 70s.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    No problem Mike. Keep building that collection. I think it's surreal honestly and believe it needs a cover story on a future SMR. I think you've inspired & helped many collectors too.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Mike - what, no auto'd football card "white whales" in your sign line? image

Nice pickup on the Wahoo McDaniel - his earlier football card was 1967 Topps where he was featured as a member of the Miami Dolphins. A signed copy of his 67 Topps rc has been on my want list for a while.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>Mike - what, no auto'd football card "white whales" in your sign line? image

Nice pickup on the Wahoo McDaniel - his earlier football card was 1967 Topps where he was featured as a member of the Miami Dolphins. A signed copy of his 67 Topps rc has been on my want list for a while.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg,

There are several signed football ones that I'd like to have, but baseball is my mistress of choice.

Mike
    Greg, here's one you'll probably like to see image This guy died in a car accident in 1983, so he's relatively tough to find on his rookie card. Great pickup for the football component of my collection.

1956 Topps Bill George PSA/DNA

Mike, that is a great card and have wanted one for many moons now!
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Greg, here's one you'll probably like to see image This guy died in a car accident in 1983, so he's relatively tough to find on his rookie card. Great pickup for the football component of my collection.

1956 Topps Bill George PSA/DNA

image >>

Mike,

I'm drooling - where did you find that card? I search for that card every day and didn't see one listed?

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg

<< <i>Mike,

I'm drooling - where did you find that card? I search for that card every day and didn't see one listed?

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg,

I'll PM you tomorrow night and let you know the details where I got it. I just got home today and it's already time for bed so I'm headed that direction.

Mike
  • Mike,
    AWESOME collection !!!! Easily my two faves were the Max and Maven Navarro signed rookie cards. Those had two be tough to get.....I have NEVER seen them listed on signings hotline for a public or private signing. You are a lucky man. GREAT looking collection, and most important, GREAT looking kids !!!!!
    Rocke
    WANTED:Football Hall of Fame Autograph's;Hugh Ray,Tim Mara,Charles Bidwell,Walt Kiesling,Bill Hewitt,Len Ford,Fritz Pollard,Curly Lambeau,Steve Owen & Joe Carr. FOR SALE : 100's of auto'd HoF 8x10's & dozen's of auto'd HoF cards.
    Thanks Rocke, yep Maven and Max are keepers image

Here's a neat card that I bought from cubfan. Thanks Louie! This former Texas Rangers manager is a 6x World Series Champion combined as a player/coach. 1989 NL Manager of the Year.

1955 Topps Don Zimmer

Yet another nice one I bought from Cubfan. Thanks Louie! Simply put, this guy was an absolute beast. Very impressive resume including:

11× Pro Bowl selection (1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998)
    9× First-Team All-Pro selection (1987, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997)
    2× Second-Team All-Pro selection (1989, 1998)
    NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
    NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
    2× AP Defensive Player of the Year (1990, 1996)
    2× NEA Defensive Player of the Year (1990, 1993)
    4× UPI AFC Defensive Player of the Year (1987, 1988, 1990, 1996)
    1987 Pro Bowl MVP
    Buffalo Bills Wall of Fame
    2× First-team All-America (1983, 1984)
    1984 Outland Trophy
    Pro Football HOF Inductee

1986 Topps Bruce Smith

I was organizing some of my cards today and realized that I never had posted this one. I got it in November of 2009. Not his true rookie card, as that is the 82 Wrestling All Stars, but it is his first year of Topps cards, he had a couple different in the 85 release.

1985 Topps Hulk Hogan

• Is that Don's signature or his wife's?

<< <i>Thanks Rocke, yep Maven and Max are keepers image

Here's a neat card that I bought from cubfan. Thanks Louie! This former Texas Rangers manager is a 6x World Series Champion combined as a player/coach. 1989 NL Manager of the Year.

1955 Topps Don Zimmer

image >>

Here's another one that I bought from Louie. This guy is/was a serviceable NFL QB. Never been one of my personal favorites, but his play is worthy of being included in my collection nonetheless. This card was signed at the celeb entrance at the Mounted Memory show in Rosemont, IL in July 09. The stray hair on the card is from my personal DNA collection and is NOT a short and curly.

1998 Topps Silver Edition Peyton Manning

This was just gotten in person by Jeserone. I haven't added one to the entertainment component of my collection for awhile. A fun addition. If I would have known I was going to buy this one, I would have waited and posted the Reggie Miller and this one at the same time.

1991 Nike Spike Lee

Dpeck's wrestling threads have piqued an interest of mine in something that I thoroughly enjoyed as a kid. I might eventually try for a signed complete set of these things, but for now I'm sticking with ones of guys I had fun watching and of hall of famers. The thing I like best about the 82 and 83 Wrestling All Stars, is that it contains a ton of the guys that I used to watch all the time and a ton of wrestling hall of famers. This guy used to always come into the hospital that my sister worked at, and tried to get meds. I remember he had the hugest biceps. Despite being a great entertainer, this guy had a substance abuse problem that was going to land him in jail, so he killed himself in 1993. Thus, this isn't an easy card to find autographed.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Kerry Von Erich

• schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    The Von Erichs - they make (made, since sadly only Kevin is left) the Kardashians look sane by comparison.

Still love that Bruiser Brody card you got. Have you scanned the Gino yet?
    Who is Rober Maris?

<< <i>The Von Erichs - they make (made, since sadly only Kevin is left) the Kardashians look sane by comparison.

Still love that Bruiser Brody card you got. Have you scanned the Gino yet? >>

Sean,

I've scanned it but haven't posted it up yet. I'll probably post it up by the weekend. It's pretty sweet except it's personalized. Has a nice pen ink signature.

Mike
  • arexarex Posts: 999

<< <i>The Von Erichs - they make (made, since sadly only Kevin is left) the Kardashians look sane by comparison.

You do realize that none of them were related, correct?
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

You do realize that none of them were related, correct? >>

The Von Erichs?? Yes they were - last name Adkisson, grew up north of Dallas. Lake Dallas HS if I recall.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq

<< <i>

You do realize that none of them were related, correct? >>

Of the Von Erich wrestling family, the only ones that aren't blood relatives are Lance Von Erich and Waldo Von Erich. Even Lacey Von Erich, the female wrestler is Kerry's real daughter. If you are talking about the Kardashians, I have no idea if they are related by blood or not.

Mike
    Yes the Von Erich's may have been their stage name but they were indeed related.

Kerry Von Erich was an awesome wrestler and a true legend of the 80's. His story is indeed quite sad as he got into a moter cycle accident and had to have one of his feet amputated and was never the same.

There is a real chance this is a one of a kind item and is such a great piece of American history. The Von Erich boys were like rock stars in the Texas area and there has never been a crowd reaction like it since. They litteraly had young women fainting in the audience!!

Awesome piece Mike and a tremendous addition to your one of a kind auto collection!
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Yes the Von Erich's may have been their stage name but they were indeed related.

Kerry Von Erich was an awesome wrestler and a true legend of the 80's. His story is indeed quite sad as he got into a moter cycle accident and had to have one of his feet amputated and was never the same.

There is a real chance this is a one of a kind item and is such a great piece of American history. The Von Erich boys were like rock stars in the Texas area and there has never been a crowd reaction like it since. They litteraly had young women fainting in the audience!!

Awesome piece Mike and a tremendous addition to your one of a kind auto collection! >>

Watching Kerry throw the discus in HS was like watching a man among boys. Very sad about him losing the foot, but copious amounts of drugs and motorcycles don't generally mix.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
    If you saw him throw the discuss that is really cool. My understanding is he was olympic caliber.

In the DVD's they show footage from when he was 19 and this dude had the most awesome build and was a super athlete.

What was so unique and the eventual downfall of the Von Erichs was they worked real in the ring. The physical abuse lead to tons of pain killers and wrestling was so hot at the time and the party scene was so big many just went down hill from there.

Kerry's death at 33 was such a tragedy. I feel for Kevin who was the sole survivor. He has been over shadowed by Kerry and the death of David in 1984 but he was a tremendous wrestler and was awesome to watch.

What is really neat about the card in the pic is of the 108 cards from all three sets it is by far one of the most condition sensitive and if ever found in a PSA 10 condition would go for big bucks. At this time time there are no PSA 9's but I plan to send in my BGS 9.5 soon and will accept a PSA 9 as the top to bottom centering most likely will not earn it a PSA 10.

Here's another great grappler. Known as the "Handsome Halfbreed", Gino wrestled down here in Dallas at the Sportatorium, during the years that I used to go watch. Was a nemesis of the Von Erich's. This card is tough to find signed, as it was issued in 1983 and Gino died in early February 1986 from a cocaine overdose at the age of 28. This one is personalized, but if you are looking for this signed card, you can't really be too picky.

1983 Wrestling All Stars Gino Hernandez

Awesome card and sig Mike!!! I am willing to bet no one else has an item like this!

No one really knows what happened to Gino. He died to young! His problems were a product of the 80's wrestling scene. A real shame this guy went at 28.
    Picked this one up from board member majorflux. Named as one of the NBA's 50 greatest players, however, I remember him more as being the great coach of the Philadelphia 76ers. Cunningham is not an easy autograph.

1969 Topps Billy Cunningham PSA/DNA

• schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Thanks for scanning the Gino, and congrats on the Cunningham!
    Who is Rober Maris?
    Reginald Lisowski was also known as "The Crusher" and was a WCW Hall of Famer, Pro Wrestling HOF'er, and a Wrestling Observer Newsletter HOF'er. Unlike a few of the other wrestlers I've been posting recently, The Crusher lived to the age of 79.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Reginald Lisowski AKA The Crusher

Of the 108 cards from all three sets, this is in the top three most difficult to find in high grade and perhaps the most. It was the back card in the first set.

Nice addition to your collection!!
    While not currently a HOF'er, I think he gets in one day. I believe it was while I was playing Tecmo Bowl on Nintendo, that I first realized he was pretty good, LOL.

8× Pro Bowl selection (1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1997)
    3× First-Team All-Pro selection (1987, 1989, 1992)
    2× Second-Team All-Pro selection (1990, 1993)
    4× First-Team All-NFC (1987, 1989, 1992, 1993)
    2× Second-Team All-NFC (1988, 1990)
    NFL 1990s All-Decade Team

1988 Topps Chris Doleman

Got a sweet addition to add. Known as "The American Dream", this highly entertaining wrestler is one of only 6 men to be inducted into the following: WWE Hall of Fame, the WCW Hall of Fame, the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame. A true, living legend of the sport.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Dusty Rhodes