Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

thenavarro's official HOF & Legends signed rookies It was a heckuva run ;)

Comments

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

TOTALLY Excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    Another great story and autographed experience! Never let a chance at great memories like this go and continue to spoil the kids. You only live once.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    nice!!

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< I probably shouldn't spoil them quite to the level that I do, but they are good kids, and I love getting to do things with them that I couldn't do as a kid and want to create every good memory I can for them. >>>

I don't see it as "spoil them" at all and I know you didn't mean that in a bad way...because I think "want to create every good memory I can" and the other things you're doing is truly being a wonderful and loving parent.

Cool card - interesting how she took her time more on the card and filled out the sig more, versus the "fast" sig on the book.
  • Great story and haul Mike. I don't see it as spoiling either, not only are you creating some unbelievable memories, but with the varied people she gets to meet and talk with she is receiving one heck of an education!
  • I like this story...and involving your daughter. Good, clean fun!
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, thanks for sharing!

I don't think you are spoiling your child. You are actually practicing good parenting by spending time with your daughter, creating memories and building that invaluable rapport that will continue to prove its virtue. Spoiling includes giving in to the child to all her beck and calls--this is not the case.

Its nice that Maven is also learning various social graces. That was good she knew it would be OK to ask about getting the bookmark signed.

It was nice that Palin brought her own daughters with her as well. As busy as she is, I can respect that she tries her best to have her daughters involved in her life. That was really nice of Piper and Willow to offer their autographs. I think having Maven with you gave you a better chance to get that card signed.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Way to go, Mike.

Shane

• Great pick up, Mike!! And it is great that you get to do all these things with your daughter!
    Thanks
    Sean

Always Looking for vintage hockey autographs

The Broderick Collection
  • Mike, I truly enjoy seeing the new additions that you add to your collection, but whats even cooler to me is that you involve your family/child into alot of these acquisitions. Its very admirable how much time you spend with Maven. If all fathers spent as much time with their children, this world would be a much better place. Congrats on the Palin!

P.S. How does she look in person?
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    The M&M Team strike again!!!!!

Great story to go along with those sigs. Well done MAVEN and mike! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story. Thanks for sharing, this has to be one of the best threads on these boards.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    That Marino is awesome man. I'd love to get one for mine sometime soon and would you mind asking how much a signed RC might set me back?
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That Marino is awesome man. I'd love to get one for mine sometime soon and would you mind asking how much a signed RC might set me back? >>

It depends on whether you want to get one signed, or if you want to buy one already signed. I believe that Marino these days charges around $129 a graph at shows (may be off, but that's my best recollection) to sign flat items, so you'd be looking at the price of the card plus that fee. He doesn't sign TTM for free or for $$$.

Your best option is probably to find one already signed from someone that needs to sell for some reason. I got mine at Heritage Auction house already certified by JSA for around $81.00 total.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    That's a great deal for $81 then. I think I'll just go that route a buy one already signed. Thanks for the advice
    Got a great one to add tonight. Board member DonnieD got my card signed for me at the recent Chicago Sun Times show. Oscar is not a fan of signing autographs so this show was a nice opportunity to get him. (that checkerboard pattern is my scanner playing tricks, the card itself is nice)

1961 Fleer Oscar Robertson

That card is unreal! Your collection belongs in SMR.
  • Mike,

THERE IS NO WORDS FOR YOUR SIGNED COLLECTION!!

Best regards!
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Great addition
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    He was tthe WWWF champion from 1963-1971 and from 1973-1977. One of the true living legends of the sport. Bruno is in the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum, and the World Wide Wrestling Alliance Hall of Fame. Has an estranged relationship with the current WWE and the McMahon family.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Bruno Sammartino

Mike,

When I was a kid, Mr. Sammartino WAS wrestling! Great card!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>Mike,

When I was a kid, Mr. Sammartino WAS wrestling! Great card! >>

Dang Doug, we're getting OLD image

Mike
    Board member Wrestlingcardking gave me a heads up on this one, and I thought it was neat so I got it. This guy is a movie legend and directed and produced some of the most memorable movies of my childhood. If you look closely at this card, you will see him descending the door of the spaceship. Unfortunately, I have subsequently discovered, that he has a 1978 Topps Close Encounters card so this is not his rookie card. However, still an interesting card for my collection.

1982 Topps E. T. Steven Spielberg

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike,
    When I was a kid, Mr. Sammartino WAS wrestling! Great card! >>

Dang Doug, we're getting OLD image
    Mike >>

No Mike ... It's ME who is getting old! Hard to friggin believe I'm 52 already. (Yeah mom and dad ... you guys WERE right ... time DOES go too damn fast!)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I love the Spielberg, sorry there was an earlier card of him. I did not know!
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

Awesome addition --- have you grabbed a George Lucas yet
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

I know there are other cards coming! Glad you picked up some signed Wrestling All Stars for this thread.
  • kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Nice Oscar - he has a great auto, not scribbles like so many.

Joe
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a signed Sylvester Stallone card?

He was elected to the Boxing Hall of Fame today.

Which card would be considered his rookie?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC

<< <i>Do you have a signed Sylvester Stallone card?

He was elected to the Boxing Hall of Fame today.

Which card would be considered his rookie? >>

Yep, I've got Sly from Rambo. Not sure what his rookie is? Anyone know?
    This WWE Hall of Famer held 30 championships throughout his career. Very entertaining with his "Million Dollar Man" personna. He is now an ordained minister.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Ted DiBiase

This guy was not a HOF'er, however, he was responsible for "The Shot Heard 'Round the World". I'm sure I'll catch some grief for the following, but I wasn't alive back then, and perhaps I don't quite understand the whole impact of that homer on the game and the country, but IMO, it has to be one of the most overrated moments in baseball history. I'd understand it a bit better if the Giants had gone on to win the World Series, but they lost the World Series that year. However, it is a part of the sports lore, so I wanted to get his signed rookie for my collection. Bobby was a friend to autograph hounds for years, and was a great signer.

1948 Bowman Bobby Thomson PSA/DNA

Got this one back last week from a private signing over on SCN. Turned out great. Due to the silver sig, scans don't work well, but card looks great in person. It was a PSA 7 that I bought from fellow CU board member Swartz1 and cracked it out for the signing. Bill Sharman was named as one of the NBA's 50 greatest players through the 90's.

1951 Berk Ross Bill Sharman

nice addition and card looks great
    image Added one of my white whales. Simply put, this guy is arguably the toughest signature of any of the living basketball HOF'ers. I have only seen two of these since I began to collect signed rookies. Board member majorflux offered me this one earlier this week, and I was able to buy it last night. I first saw this one back in September of 2009 but I lost on ebay to majorflux I believe. This was the last one I needed to complete my 1992 US Dream Team run of signed rookie cards. Ewing is a grade A rear end to autograph seekers. This example does not have the greatest eye appeal, as the contrast is poor, but it's authentic and a good solid, full name signature. Thanks so much majorflux! Merry Christmas to me!!!

1986 Fleer Patrick Ewing PSA/DNA

Now might be a time to update your sig line although I know that you will jump at the chance to get a clearer autograph if the opportunity arises..... Congratulations on your card! Nice to get a card from your want list.

<< <i>Now might be a time to update your sig line although I know that you will jump at the chance to get a clearer autograph if the opportunity arises..... Congratulations on your card! Nice to get a card from your want list. >>

Rob, thanks for the reminder to update my sig line. It's not often I get to knock one of those off.

Mike
    Is it really that hard for Reggie Miller and Piazza? Are their stories there that I do not know?
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    Someone on FCB just showed off his 48 Bowman Spahn...I know thats one you are looking for. Shouldnt be all that rare?
    Rob,

Miller and Piazza don't do card shows, private signings or TTM so you just have to catch them. I do have a Piazza signed rookie, but it's the Fleer Update and I want the Bowman as well. Piazza did do one signing with MAB that I know of a few years back but it was a couple hundred minimum if I remember correctly. I'll get them eventually. JSwieton just saw Miller in LA the other day and got him on some index cards.

Barry,

Was that Jason on FCB that had the Spahn? I was underbidder to him on ebay a couple weeks ago for one at an absurd price. Spahn graphs are VERY common, but haven't seen many 48's signed. I bet the next one that pops up goes for a lot less than the one we both went after on ebay.

Mike
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I believe that Stallone is pictured on a 1978 Sportscaster card. Did Topps every do a set of Rocky cards?
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC

<< <i>I believe that Stallone is pictured on a 1978 Sportscaster card. Did Topps every do a set of Rocky cards? >>

I don't think they did a Rocky 1 set, but they did do a Rocky 2 set around 79 or so I think.

Mike
    Contests on knocking off the Ewing as he is tough!
    Bought these 9 off of the Godfather of signed Wrestling cards, WrestlingCardKing!! A nice mix of 1982 and 1983 Wrestling All Stars. All Hall of Famers.

Tito Santana

Jimmy Snuka

Jake Roberts

Tony Atlas

Ivan Koloff

Don Muraco

Bob Backlund

Billy Robinson

Nick Bockwinkel

What a great weekend for my collection. Special thanks to Doran for sending me a PM that I read about 45 minutes before this one ended on ebay or I would have missed it. I've been trying to find one of these for a couple years now, and was the underbidder on the last one on ebay that went for well over $500.00. I got this one today for under $270. Woohoo!!!! Almost half of the last one and nicely centered to boot. What a way to wrap up the weekend, another one off my signature line wantlist.

1948 Bowman Warren Spahn

• very nice I would have probably bid you up if I saw it image
  • Glad I could help Mike. Wish the Musial would have stayed within my bid range.
    Wow, another jaw dropper! Sounds like you got a he'll of a deal too.
    Way to go Mike! What an amazing weekend you had!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

you were quick to update your sig line this time, congrats on this find.