Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Breaking News! My Babe Ruth results are in but I'm not clear on what it means

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I think it is the fact that the letter "G" comes before the letter "P" in the alphabet. The graders at PSA have obsessions with the alphabet and this really comes into play. Add in the fact that your card is a "G"oudey and they really hate it. Mike Baker left to form GAI and the letter "M" is right before the letter "P". It is all of the world against you and PSA shot JFK and Oswald and Ruby are really the head graders there. It is all a big conspiracy that keeps your card out of the PSA holder and not the fact that it appears to be missing part of an edge. If it could have made it into a better holder it would have.

I am not sure what else you want people to tell you. -I am sure your card is unaltered and will cross to a PSA 6. Great Buy !
  • Options
    You ever check out the elitefitness forums? I am also into weight training.

• Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    How could they possibly give it a fair grade while it's stuck in that holder? Can that be done?

If you need your card graded fairly, shouldn't you just let them do it?

Throw caution to the wind... and at the same time get it out of that GAI slab.
  • Options
    Unless you are 148, aren't 500-pound lifts considered somewhat mediocre in powerlifting?

From a buisness standpoint, damages that would occur from even the slightest hints of deception, fraud, or unethical practice would far outweigh any benefit from trying to knock GAI down a peg (that company messed up enough on their own anyway. . . ) The much more likely and more accepted reason is that a card already in a holder cannot be fully examined. A side view is one of the better clues to tell if the edge has been trimmed, but you can't get a good side view unless you take it out of the holder. . .

Since you are sure the card has not been altered there is something missing as to why you refuse to take it out of one holder before putting it in another one
    Tom
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good point as it is almost not worth much more slabbed in that GAI holder then it would be raw.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    For deadlifting and squatting 500 is not a big deal, bench is another story.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If he ever saw me in person I have strong doubts that he would hurl personal insults at me. >>

True, he might just knock you out without ever saying a word. Most fights are won because of the size of someones heart and desire, not their bicep.

<< <i>I hate to boast about it on a message board.... >>

He doesn't hate to boast about it on a message board because he threw that same power lifter line at me a few months back.

You know what, I got $20 on Allen over the big giant power lifter that says he cried when he first thought his baseball card "might" be trimmed.
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Since we are all getting our internet tough guy thing rolling, I want the winner in the octagon. Or maybe in a loser leaves messageboard, dog collar, death match WWF style.
  • Options

Alot of men think they are tough, but try running into this guy....
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Alot of men think they are tough, but try running into this guy.... >>

Saw the picture and couldn't help myself. Apologies for going off topic, but STMM started it. image

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.
    Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
    There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
    Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.
    Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.
    Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.
    Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.
    There is no chin behind Chuck Norris’ beard. There is only another fist.
    Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head.
    Chuck Norris can lead a horse to water AND make it drink.
    Chuck Norris doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.
    Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
    Chuck Norris does not get frostbite. Chuck Norris bites frost
    Remember the Soviet Union? They decided to quit after watching a DeltaForce marathon on Satellite TV.
  • Options
    I hate to tell you but Chuck Norris is no Bill Brasky.
  • Options

<< <i>Unless you are 148, aren't 500-pound lifts considered somewhat mediocre in powerlifting >>

I broke the 500 mark in the squat at 165. It's not a world record setting elite lift but it's way, way above the normal gym rat. I've also hit a 405 bench at 190. If Allen can top that, then I'll bow down and kiss his behind because that would make him THE MAN.

Enough of this. Peace everyone.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Unless you are 148, aren't 500-pound lifts considered somewhat mediocre in powerlifting >>

I broke the 500 mark in the squat at 165. It's not a world record setting elite lift but it's way, way above the normal gym rat. I've also hit a 405 bench at 190. If Allen can top that, then I'll bow down and kiss his behind because that would make him THE MAN.

Enough of this. Peace everyone. >>

So what is the point?

Back on topic....

Can you please answer my question, as to why PSA does not want your Goudey Ruth in their holder?? Wouldn't that be of benefit to them, unless there is something wrong, that would make them look bad for holdering it? I have asked twice, and either you are avoiding the question, or missed my question. I am just curious as to your logic behind this.
  • Options
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Game, set. match. Leo.

The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    plifter you never answered me. You ever post on elitefitness forums?

I am sure you are a big scary 165 pound guy. I tremble at the thought of seeing you in person.
  • Options

<< <i>plifter you never answered me. You ever post on elitefitness forums?

I am sure you are a big scary 165 pound guy. I tremble at the thought of seeing you in person. >>

When I attended the Gracie Jujitsu seminar back in the early 90's Royce was only about a buck-seventy and he had me a intimidated to say the least(he was very nice and polite).
  • Options
    "When I attended the Gracie Jujitsu seminar back in the early 90's Royce was only about a buck-seventy and he had me a intimidated to say the least(he was very nice and polite)."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you're really tough and fast and strong and have a lot of heart " Something that can not be taught you have to be born with it "

You don't have to walk around acting like a tough guy with a big mouth , those big guys are usually the ones that get slapped around by the smaller guy that never says a word about himself .

Just because someone can lift 500 lbs , that does not mean he can fight and that does not mean he has heart , that means he might be strong and the stronger man does not always win a fight .

It's real easy to break a leg , the weakest of all men can do that if he knows how , that fight is over in 2 seconds

They find out the embarrassing way .

• Options
    "Throw caution to the wind... and at the same time get it out of that GAI slab. "

Powerlifter , that is what I would do if this was all happening to me
    Screw it take a shot , if you know it has nothing wrong with it , maybe they just can't grade it right when it is in that holder .

I wouldn't do it right away though ,i would wait a while and crack it out and send it in raw and see what happens , I don't think I would have ever sent it to them in that holder .

Give it a shot , it seems like you really have nothing to lose at this point .

To me the card is still a beautiful card .
    If is in fact legit , it should get the PSA grade it deserves , no doubt about it .

Edited to add , I feel for ya , you're obviously very pissed off and I guess I would be too , but not at anyone on this board .

I definitley can not figure out what is wrong with the card , I have seen cards look so much worse than that get graded that 4 , so I am just lost
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I once punched a hole through a cow just so I could see down the road.
  • Options
    I agree if you defintly think there is nothing wrong with the card. Crack it and resubmit it.

• Options
    HOLE- E COW !
  • Options

<< <i>plifter you never answered me. You ever post on elitefitness forums?

I am sure you are a big scary 165 pound guy. I tremble at the thought of seeing you in person. >>

No, I don't post on elitefitness forums. Everyone in the game knows that's where the DEA hangs out if you get my drift. I said I once broke the 500 pound mark in the squat at 165. I didn't say I still weighed 165.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Chuck Norris can unscramble eggs.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options

<< <i>I tremble at the thought of seeing you in person. >>

I can arrange that. We already live in the same neighborhood, Mountaineer.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Cliff notes version, please.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I tremble at the thought of seeing you in person. >>

I can arrange that. We already live in the same neighborhood, Mountaineer. >>

Plifter, enough, dude. You are starting to look pretty silly trying to prove how tough you think you are.

You will not answer questions presented about your card, but want to keep insisting your are some tough meat head. It's just silly.

Sorry about your card, but if you don't want to discuss the issues with it, I don't see the point of this thread anymore.
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    TNT, when I first saw Royce Gracie fight I asked myself why is this skinny guy fighting in the same ring as these behemoths. Gracie answered my question in a few minutes, he beats everybody on technique alone. Gracie is still considered the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

Mike
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gracie is still considered the greatest MMA fighter of all time.

Mike >>

LOL. No, he isn't. Kazushi Sakuraba destroyed that legend 8 years ago when he played with Royce for 90 minutes before Royce's corner threw in the towel. Even before that point, he wasn't considered the "greatest MMA fighter of all time".

If push came to shove, most would vote for Fedor Emelianenko as the greatest - only 1 loss and that one was a BS loss that should have been a no-contest (illegal elbow that opened a cut that stopped the fight).

The Gracies did a lot of good things for MMA in the early days, generating publicity, showing smaller guys could win (against handpicked opponents...), etc. But their legend, skills, and success are all significantly overrated. Not one of them has a significant victory in the last 10 years.

Tabe
  • Options
    69Cubs69Cubs Posts: 150 ✭✭
    My bad, I should have stated one of the greatest UFC fighters although Gracie lost to Matt Hughes when he was past his prime. How this Babe Ruth thread became a MMA thread is strange to say the least.

Mike
  • Options
    OK everyone! Confession Time! Jokes Over! I've been laughing my a$$ off about this whole thing ever since the post from Stan the Man where he went off on me for being in "denial". I wanted to see just how far a baseball card fight could escalate. I apologize for taking it this far. There's crazy people in the world that might really try to do something. I'm not one of them.

Allen really is a pr**k that insults people on a personal level. I realized that when he directly called me an idiot (unprovoked by me) because I had problems opening a package without damaging my cards! I've seen other threads where he personally insults other people. As for the tough guy schtick, I have no idea if Allen could thump me or not. My powerlifting achievements are real and not exaggerated. I don't compete any longer but I still can hoist a lot more iron than 99.9% of the adult male population. I also wrestled in college but now I'm a 35 year old teddy bear with muscles that would only fight for the defense of myself or my family.

Stan the Man, we differ on our opinions about the card. You and I both know there's nothing personal about it. There are people still arguing about the old Gretzky T206 Wagner. I've seen the card up close and in person and I could not find any evidence to prove anything one way or another. I just know I'd like to have it in my display case!

And finally for original topic, I suspect the grading standards at PSA go up on a crossover and they have to make 100% certain the card hasn't been altered and that it meets the standards while the card is still slabbed. Obviously once they crack it out, there's no turning back. Maybe they just can't see it well enough in the holder. I don't know. I'm not too pleased with PSA's service because I feel that after paying $65 for the grading fee plus another $35-$40 for shipping it both ways, I'm at least owed an explanation. I honestly find it doubtful that anyone has altered it but can't say for certain as I obviously did not pull it from the pack myself.

So, the joke/drama is over. My grandmother is in the hospital and I'm heading out to go visit her for the evening. Have a nice weekend everyone.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This boy is capital O with a double D kinda odd.
  • Options

<< <i>This boy is capital O with a double D kinda odd. >>

• Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I sense a image coming on
  • Options
    Double D's always make me smile. I just cant help it.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

they have to make 100% certain the card hasn't been altered and that it meets the standards while the card is still slabbed.

Yup.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Once when I was watching the news, there was these guys busting seals over the head with clubs...

...When I saw this, I started laughing hysterically.

And now sometimes when I'm kinda feeling down, I just think of that.
  • Options
  • Options
    Maybe VTG moved to West Virginia.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    I'm not sure what this is all about, but I'm definately quitting the hobby because of it.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Everytime I think you have left....you keep coming back...

Whats up with that?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I once punched a hole through a cow just so I could see down the road. >>

Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - this thing really took a left turn somewhere's right to hell!

plifter - what's your plan?

I like Steve's idea - send it to SGC and get their opinion - and if they will cross it - I recommend doing it.

I also agree that there's plenty of rocky roads ahead in life - heck, I just got a 30K bill from a leasing company for back personal property tax when I've been paying my own for the past 8 yrs! Roll with it best ya can.

Good luck
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I like Steve's idea - send it to SGC and get their opinion - and if they will cross it - I recommend doing it.

I also agree that there's plenty of rocky roads ahead in life - heck, I just got a 30K bill from a leasing company for back personal property tax when I've been paying my own for the past 8 yrs! Roll with it best ya can.

Good luck
    mike >>

I might give SGC a try if they will allow a higher maximum on crossovers than $500. I like the look of their slabs the best and they are respected among pre-war collectors. When I get it back from PSA I will go over it again under 10X magnification and re-examine everything. I still don't see a bit of proof of trimming.
  • Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213

<< <i>

<< <i>I like Steve's idea - send it to SGC and get their opinion - and if they will cross it - I recommend doing it.

Good luck
    mike >>

I might give SGC a try if they will allow a higher maximum on crossovers than $500. I like the look of their slabs the best and they are respected among pre-war collectors. When I get it back from PSA I will go over it again under 10X magnification and re-examine everything. I still don't see a bit of proof of trimming. >>

Good plan, but in all seriousness it does look like you are in a bit of denial. It is like you are continually talking yourself into believing the card is more than what it is, when PSA has told you otherwise twice. Still it is a very nice card, and if you are happy with it, just leave it in its current holder and stop worrying so much.
  • Options

<< <i>

Good luck
    mike >>

I might give SGC a try if they will allow a higher maximum on crossovers than $500. I like the look of their slabs the best and they are respected among pre-war collectors. When I get it back from PSA I will go over it again under 10X magnification and re-examine everything. I still don't see a bit of proof of trimming. >>

I understand your are set on the idea that you see nothing wrong with the card, but evidentally, the professional graders at PSA do. They are the experts who handle thousands of Goudey cards each year, not you, me, or anyone on this board who views the card.

I think a trip to SGC will just further increase what you will have tied up in the card, only to not get a different decision than PSA gave you, but that is your choice to make, not mine. 2 different times the card has been denied by PSA for a reason, but if you want to stay in denial, so be it.

I still say I would just get in contact with the guy you bought it from asap, and ask him what he will do with you pertaining to getting your money back, or go straight to the head of the snake, GAI.

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    plifter- There will never be "proof" that the card is trimmed unless video showing somebody slicing it surfaces. What the grading companies and experienced collectors/dealers look for are "indications" that it is most likely trimmed.

The fact that the right edge isn't perfectly straight is one indication and that seems to be the one swaying people on this board that the card might be trimmed. I don't know 33 Goudey's well enough to know whether this is something unusual or not so I can't really say whether it's an accurate indicator. But you can't deny that there is an inconsistency across the edge. The fact that PSA wouldn't cross it over is another indication, albeit a fairly weak one because of their propensity to not cross over GAI graded cards. I'm not saying that the card is trimmed or isn't trimmed, but the only way to get all the information is to crack the slab and take a loupe to the edges, which you haven't done so you can't say that you "know" it's untrimmed with any degree of certainty. The reason people are saying you're in denial is that you are very adament about it not being trimmed, but one cannot usually tell by looking at a card in a slab and there is at least one reasonable indication that the card "might" be altered.

To be honest, you sound a little like people I've bought unopened wax from that turns out to be resealed, yet they ignore the telltale signs of tampering that I point out to them because they have been convinced for so long that the packs were legit. If I were in your shoes, I would be trying to take in as much information as you can and make and wait to make your final assessment of the card. Trimming is not one of those "you know it when you see it" things- there are ways to detect whether a card has been trimmed and it doesn't seem that you know them very well.

Lee
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    When you get it back, scan at the very highest resolution that you can. If you have a crappy scanner go get a good one. An Epson Perfection 4490 is around $150 which is 2 grading fees gone bad.

When you scan at high resolution on a vintage card you will get something like this if the edge is original.

Top edge not trimmed, and it's not a rough card. All vintage cards look like this.

The bottom edge of the same card was cleaned up.

It really is THAT obvious at high resolution.

When you get it back, scan it and you'll know immediately if it was trimmed or not.
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭