Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Breaking News! My Babe Ruth results are in but I'm not clear on what it means

I sent it in as a crossover and here's what it says on the PSA website:

1 1 14927576 MG: MINIMUM GRADE 1933 GOUDEY 181 BABE RUTH Card US

Does that mean it met my minimum grade requirement? That's what I'm assuming but I would have thought it would have been more clear and actually listed the numerical grade.

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If so then it got the 4?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that might mean that the minimum grade was not met, or else there would be a number there.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately no..."minimum grade" means PSA did not cross the card over, as it did not meet your requested minimum grade.

Steve
    Yikes, that card needs to be cracked out and sent in raw.

The GAI holder is a kiss of death.

Steve
    Good for you.
    I can't believe that card did not get a 4.

Steve
    Good for you.
    So then the GAI 4.5 was not even able to cross into a PSA 4? That's not a good sign at all.

• << <i>Yikes, that card needs to be cracked out and sent in raw.

The GAI holder is a kiss of death.

Steve >>

My Hack Wilson from that same Goudey set doesn't look anywhere near as good as my Ruth and Hack got a 4. If that Ruth did not make a minimum of 4 then I've lost respect for PSA.

<< <i>.....If that Ruth did not make a minimum of 4 then I've lost respect for PSA. >>

Unless it's altered of course, and then there is no minimum that PSA would grant. Always a possibility when GAI is involved. Trimming isnt the only type of altering.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt lose respect for PSA just for that, most people would agree that you need to crack the cards out of the Global holders before sending them in..
    Nick is correct. Maybe you could email Joe and ask him what is up?

Then once known you can get on GAI's butt for a refund. (if it is in fact altered)

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I hate to hear this, but GAI is the one at fault, not PSA. Not sure why you would lose respect for PSA over this??

This is a classic example as to why I will never purchase a GAI holdered card. Just too questionable on all realms. I just hope they did not find a flaw/problem that you might have overlooked, or GAI over-graded on. I would rather have PSA be too strict, like they are being in this case, than to be as loose as GAI.
    Steve in remembering some of his past posts, if that Ruth is altered we may have to take away his belt and shoelaces.

plifter - Call Joe Orlando directly and see if he will take a personal interest in this card for you.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with the above posts about the possibility of the card having been altered. I just pulled up the old thread and looked at the card, and can see no reason why it wouldn't get a 4 if it isn't altered. Of course, scans don't show all the little things that could affect the card's grade, but I just get the feeling PSA may think they found a touch of altering, or maybe a slight trim.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide to do.

Steve

Why wouldn't this get a 4?

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
    PL

I am sure he will seeing it is a Ruth card and all.

I know the feeling getting news that a 2+K item is not what you thought you had.

I bought a coin 5 yrs ago for 2K and after a few yrs I sent it in to PCGS.

Came back not slabbed and not even what the seller said it was.

Long story short I was lucky and got the seller to refund my money.

Steve

Good for you.
  • I always thought that GAI was a respectable grading company that just had some logistics and customer service problems. I thought that their actual grades were respectable.
    Well, now that this happened maybe it was for the best that you didn't crack it!

Since it is still in the holder you can call GAI on there guarantee.

Sorry this happened to you.

I'd be calling them tomorrow too.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>I always thought that GAI was a respectable grading company that just had some logistics and customer service problems. I thought that their actual grades were respectable. >>

This is a matter of opinion, but I have felt that they have always been a bit questionable, and let more than their fair share of over-graded and altered vintage cards through, when compared to PSA or SGC. I never have, nor never will, buy a GAI holdered card.

• << <i>image

Why wouldn't this get a 4? >>

I do not want to start a rip on a great card, but in my mind, I have questioned that right side, ever since I seen the scan. But...... unless I could view the card in person, it's just too hard to tell from the scan to be 100% sure.
    Sigh
    Good for you.
  • I pulled it into photoshop and it seems it might be missing a sliver starting just above the red banner on the lower right.

• << <i>Sigh >>

What do you mean?
  • So if GAI graded a card that is altered or has a hidden defect as a 4 and PSA does not do so PSA is the one in the wrong. I think I predicted this card would come back with something like this. I think I said trimmed. The GAI holder is a kiss of death.

<< <i>

<< <i>Sigh >>

What do you mean? >>

I cant speak for Steve, but I took it as he is sorry that this has happened to the OP.
  • DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
    Tough luck on the grade. You may just want to sell the card in the GAI holder and cut your losses. There are just too many variables in sending in the card cracked out to PSA. You may end up losing a ton of money, and have a card which is no longer gradeable.

J
  • I'm going to [redacted] if I find out my card was tampered with. I paid $3,300 for that card and I'm a working class guy that used 10% of my annual earnings because I wanted to have one card in my collection that was something that people would say "WOW" when they saw it. I paid top dollar for that card. I trusted that GAI would have the expertise to spot any alterations.
    he is sorry that this has happened to the OP

Yup.

;-(

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>he is sorry that this has happened to the OP

Yup.

;-(

Steve >>

Ok, I see what you mean, now. Sorry, it just confused me, which is not hard to do at times.
  • I'm almost in tears right now. Have you ever seen a grown man cry over a baseball card

Easy now, worse things can happen in life then a freaking card come back altered.

You have your health? You can make 3k again.

Steve
    Good for you.
    Here is what I would do.

I would call/email Joe.....

I would then submit the card in it's GAI holder to SGC.

If it crosses fine, if it doesn't I would then have ample ammo to go after GAI

That IMO is what you need to do.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • What is Joe's email address?

• << <i> I paid $3,300 for that card and I'm a working class guy that used 10% of my annual earnings because I wanted to have one card in my collection that was something that people would say "WOW" when they saw it. I paid top dollar for that card. I trusted that GAI would have the expertise to spot any alterations. >>

Please don't take things too far. I understand what you are saying, and I understand how funds are hard to come by, to pay for high dollar cards, for us working class folks. But, give it time, to see how this plays out.

Maybe the guy you bought it from, would consider refunding your money? Worth a try?

I have always had a feeling that any bigger graded vintage card that is not in a PSA or SGC holder, is not in there for a reason, if you know what I mean. I sure hope this works out for you, as you seem like a decent hard working guy, who just wanted to have something nice in your collection. For this, I truly feel for you, my friend.

**Edited, as goot requested..
  • Delete the bit about "I'm going to.." or else this thread will be deleted. It happened with one of mine before.
    What type of documentation will he need from Joe O. and SGC to show GAI?

• << <i>Delete the bit about "I'm going to.." or else this thread will be deleted. It happened with one of mine before. >>

I agree.
    PM sent
    Good for you.
    I would assume a letter from each describing why they will not grade/authenticate the card
    would be in order.

PSA has in the past written such letters.

SGC I dunno but see no reason why they wouldn't either.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm going to [redacted] if I find out my card was tampered with. I paid $3,300 for that card and I'm a working class guy that used 10% of my annual earnings because I wanted to have one card in my collection that was something that people would say "WOW" when they saw it. I paid top dollar for that card. I trusted that GAI would have the expertise to spot any alterations. >>

Don't joke [redacted] and if it's not a joke stop collecting and get some counceling now.

If you go through life and $3300 is the worst mistake you ever make consider it a life well lived.

As for the card. Get on the phone with PSA in the AM and find out exactly what MG means. Ask them specifically "If you (PSA) consider a crossover to be altered, would it get a MG or would it get some rejection based on the type of altering suspected. You probably paid fifty to one hundred for the PSA opinion and your apparently going to have to beat it out of them.

If they tell you the card was good but it didn't make a four, ask them to find out why. This was a premium submission and graders don't see really nice Goudey Ruths everyday. The card and its flaws should be pretty easy to remember. If they can't remember it send them the scan.

If they tell you they suspect altering as them to specify exactly what type of altering they suspected. I would be most concerned if they say the surface has been altered.

When the card is returned to you examine it closely and/or ask the dealer for a refund. Unfortunately since it is a GAI card I doubt the dealer will take your call.

I suspect the card is good. PSA is either playing dirty or the found some miniscule paper loss that GAI lets slide. The card is beautiful and is a "Wow" card no matter what the grade or company on the flip.
  • I would do as Steve and Nam suggested, and start getting your ducks in a row to settle up with GAI, and/or try to get ahold of the person that sold it to you. Im 99% positive this card is trimmed, but hope that Im wrong. That card looks like it should grade a 4 easily, so if it didnt, I would assume they found some sort of alteration. Hope everything works out ok.

• OK, I have e-mailed Joe a nice friendly and professional message expressing my concern over this issue. I've stopped crying now (I know I'm a big baby) and my xanax has started to kick in. I hope I can get a satisfactory explanation.
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, it never hurts to ask. Good luck!!

• << <i>

<< <i>image

Here is a comparison: image

**Not my card, just borrowed the scan as a reference, to show why I question that right side on plifter's card.

On plifter's card, how can you have rounded corners, yet, they have a hint of a rather sharp point along that right edge leading to the soft corners? Compare to the left, so see what I am trying to say. I hope I am making sense, as I am not good with explaining myself, but know what I am trying to say. I have never seen a card that had corner wear, but comes to a destinct and sharp point, like the right side of plifter's does, unless it was trimmed/shaved.

The top right corner shows wear, but the corner has a bit more of the natural rounding, maybe a bit too sharp and suspect, but the bottom right shows the same wear, and has a really unnatural sharpness to the corner, almost to a perfectly sharp point. Since when does corner wear result in a sharp point, unless the edge/corner was shaved down to clean up something?
  • earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    Even with proof of altering from psa or sgc...gai may say it's only their opinion. I do not think gai is in a financial position to be offering refunds but it's worth a shot.

I thought when you first posted this card a while back you had already sent this Ruth card into psa and it did not crossover? was this the first or second time you sent it in? if psa thought it was trimmed it should say trimmed and not MG
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "if psa thought it was trimmed it should say trimmed and not MG."

//////////////////////////////////////////////

That's what I think, too.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • I agree with what you are saying, about PSA should have mentioned trimmed/altered if that is what they found. But..... I will say, if PSA graded that card as unaltered and holdered it with a numerical grade, I will question that move, because that right side just does not look right, unless it's just the scan making the right side look funky.
  • ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
  • baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Good luck to you my friend! I don't know how you feel, but I know if my Ruth was in question like yours is now, I'd be concerned. Don't forget though, it is after all only a baseball card. And it still makes me go Wow! looking at it image I hope tomorrow you bring us some good news.

Jeff
    Good points, MG means simply it did not meet the min grade of 4 that the OP
    requested. How that is possible looking at the card is beyond me though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    My guess, is there might be a very light wrinkle only visible on the back. I have many R319s that from arms length look like 5-6 but they have very light wrinkles that arent seen very easily and are now 3-4's.

If you put minimum grade of 4 there was no wiggle room for a slight wrinkle. Its just a guess though as I dont seen one in scan.