Home Sports Talk
Options

NY Yankees 2008 Run at the World Series

Comments

• Options
    Hey A-meat finally came through for us last night. It only took him 4 1/2 months.

I don't know what all this disppointment or not talk everyone is discussing. All I know is that I shall be royally pissed off if we're not in it image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was glad to see NYY win last night too...Boston needs MN and CWS to lose lots of games!
  • Options

<< <i>I was glad to see NYY win last night too...Boston needs MN and CWS to lose lots of games! >>

Sorry we couldn't help you out today image
  • Options
    How did Mr. Choketober do with runners on 1st and 3rd with one out in the 8th ? image

How's Marte and his 11.50 ERA doing ? image
  • Options

<< <i>How did Mr. Choketober do with runners on 1st and 3rd with one out in the 8th ? image

How's Marte and his 11.50 ERA doing ? image >>

EF- you need another sigline. Come on man, Kennedy was demoted. Get with the program!
  • Options
    Do something with Meat-Rod. I like those better anyway.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Are you guys in 4th place yet? image
  • Options
    Good series, its always tough to beat the Yankees. I KNEW that Arod was going deep on that at bat. Still, great game.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options

<< <i>Hey A-meat finally came through for us last night. It only took him 4 1/2 months. >>

Took him 4 1/2 months to come through? Have you been in a coma for 4 1/2 months? In case you hadn't been paying attention, Arod's been the best player on your team since he got there.

• Options

<< <i>

Took him 4 1/2 months to come through? Have you been in a coma for 4 1/2 months? In case you hadn't been paying attention, Arod's been the best player on your team since he got there. >>

I'm baaacckk !!!!

Er....I mean

He's baack !!!
  • Options

<< <i>[, Arod's been the best player on your team since he got there. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey A-meat finally came through for us last night. It only took him 4 1/2 months. >>

Took him 4 1/2 months to come through? Have you been in a coma for 4 1/2 months? In case you hadn't been paying attention, Arod's been the best player on your team since he got there. >>

Oh Axtell is back.
  • Options
    Something finally worth posting - Cabrera sent to the minors and Sexson cut. Both good moves.
  • Options

<< <i>Something finally worth posting - Cabrera sent to the minors and Sexson cut. Both good moves. >>

Is this Melky Cabrera ? Wow. Weren't they supposed to package him and Hughes or Kennedy for Santana ? image

Oh yeah, it was Cabrera, Kennedy, and two minor leaguers, or it was just Cabrera and Hughes. image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Something finally worth posting - Cabrera sent to the minors and Sexson cut. Both good moves. >>

I'm not going to search for it, but wasn't someone trying to convince others that signing Sexson was a good move too?
  • Options

<< <i>

I'm not going to search for it, but wasn't someone trying to convince others that signing Sexson was a good move too? >>

We all knew in our hearts, but we had to have some fun with it image
  • Options
    at this point they could cut half the team, half the payroll and maybe act like they want to play baseball. I really thought Joe G's intensity was going to be a good thing for a team that looked tired and going through the motions LAST year, this year seems worse!

I've always have been and will be a Yankees fan (30 + years now), but i'm having a mid 80's-mid 90's flashback, and its not pretty. The rotation is horrible, Johnny D is the true curse, middle relief stinks, and the freakin Rays are ahead of us by 9 games, blechh!!!!!!!!

Rant Over, Go Yankees!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi fellas, just popping in to say hello- been away the past few days. image

Oh BTW- 9.5 is not the end of the world.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>at this point they could cut half the team, half the payroll and maybe act like they want to play baseball. I really thought Joe G's intensity was going to be a good thing for a team that looked tired and going through the motions LAST year, this year seems worse!

I've always have been and will be a Yankees fan (30 + years now), but i'm having a mid 80's-mid 90's flashback, and its not pretty. The rotation is horrible, Johnny D is the true curse, middle relief stinks, and the freakin Rays are ahead of us by 9 games, blechh!!!!!!!!

Rant Over, Go Yankees! >>

I cant wait to see what Dan has to say about this! If this was a Sox fan saying this he would have a witty response! I wonder if it will be the same response to a fellow Yankee fan? I thought you guys loved Melky and Johnny D?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Bosox fans in force on the Yanks board! Well, you have reasons to be happy for sure.

Melky just needs to straighten up his hitting. Hughes will be fine...the kid is only 20 pitching for the Yanks. Kennedy needs to be traded.

Now lets score some freakin runs!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Can anyone PLEASE fire Michael Kay? Al Leiter has put him in his place a few times today...I dont think any of the other announcers like or respect the guy. You can tell that Ken Singleton is a really nice guy and lets him go on his foolish rants. Other than that, the rest pretty much bust apart everything Kay says....AND FOR GOOD REASON! The guy SUCKS!
  • Options
    You are 100% right - I dread when the Sox-Yanks are blacked out, and I have to turn on that awful YES network, and Kay is the main reason. The other guys (I guess its Singleton and Leiter) are actually pretty good, but Kay could be the worst broadcaster in the history of sports broadcasting. He's even worse if you are not a Yankee fan, because he constantly plays up everything the Yankees do, while conviently ignoring the opponent's accomplishments. The only worse "homer" announcer I've heard are the White Sox guys.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Look for Arod to have a monstrous September, around the time the Yanks are eliminated.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You Yankees can keep Brian Bannister for a batting practice pitcher if you want, that's all he's good for.
    Wow, did he ever go downhill from last year, Bill James was sure right about him.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Didn't Passan have a column about how Bannister was the first ML pitcher to use sabermetrics as a way to make him better? Well it looks like maybe there is a little to much thinking and too little talent in Bannister. For that matter Beane and JP Riccarddi(?) haven't won much since the release of Moneyball..........maybe it's a curse.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pavano this weekend? I dont know if I can watch.....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    No better watching Damon drop 2 tonight.......
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I cant wait to see what Dan has to say about this! If this was a Sox fan saying this he would have a witty response! I wonder if it will be the same response to a fellow Yankee fan? I thought you guys loved Melky and Johnny D? >>

I have Field Championship seats between the White Sox dugout and homeplate for the Sept 17th game. No playoffs means this game is in the final week of the Big Ballyard in da Bronx. No, I am not selling for what will be astronomical prices even though my Yankees are going down in flames. I am sending off the stadium in style with my brother image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I'm a Yankee fan...Here, Melky needed to go down he's a bit out of his league right now. He needs to work on some of his basics. Cano, that dude needs a trip to the minors, there is something wrong with Cano I mean mentally. As for Damon, he has never been the same without his hair lol I love my Yankees but the team is finished for this year. The team is too hot, and cold too often more cold than hot right now. And I don't know why the Yankees picked up Richie Saxson, that dude can't hit when you need him to, he was place on assignment this week.

What I worry about next year, the Yankees will have half there team as free agents. Who will stay, and who will go. I can't see Jeter in any other uniform other than pinstripes.
    Big Kahuna

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I cant wait to see what Dan has to say about this! If this was a Sox fan saying this he would have a witty response! I wonder if it will be the same response to a fellow Yankee fan? I thought you guys loved Melky and Johnny D? >>

I have Field Championship seats between the White Sox dugout and homeplate for the Sept 17th game. No playoffs means this game is in the final week of the Big Ballyard in da Bronx. No, I am not selling for what will be astronomical prices even though my Yankees are going down in flames. I am sending off the stadium in style with my brother image >>

I have tixs for the 12th, 13th, 15th, and 16th flying across the country to say my goodbye.....
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a Yankee fan...Here, Melky needed to go down he's a bit out of his league right now. He needs to work on some of his basics. Cano, that dude needs a trip to the minors, there is something wrong with Cano I mean mentally. As for Damon, he has never been the same without his hair lol I love my Yankees but the team is finished for this year. The team is too hot, and cold too often more cold than hot right now. And I don't know why the Yankees picked up Richie Saxson, that dude can't hit when you need him to, he was place on assignment this week.

What I worry about next year, the Yankees will have half there team as free agents. Who will stay, and who will go. I can't see Jeter in any other uniform other than pinstripes. >>

Part of the whole problem with major league baseball is the guaranteed pay before performance. If there were a base pay based upon time in service, then have added incentives, perhaps the clownish performance of Damon last night wouldn't happen. Same, same with the Manny thing in Boston. He got a bug up his ass and dogged the team, creating a bad environment...BUT, he still gets his uber-bucks every two weeks. Damon, if memory serves, is collecting $14m for 6 months of "performance on the field". Stunning! Yo, Johnny, try TWO hands next time.

Remember a recent comment by Hank S, that the failure of the Yankees is due to "injuries". I would have had more respect for the guy if he'd called it like it was, a combination of injuries and poor performance between the lines. Pick a player, they've all choked at one time or another since April, some choked more than others.Thus, Hank's solution for '09 is to bring in a "star pitcher" next season, "if that's what it takes'. Thus the insanity of throwing more money at the goal vs. getting better talent continues.

Imagine where your season would be without the outstanding performance by Mussina!!!

You guys ain't gone yet, but boy, are you hammering on the door. Kindofa sad way to end the final season at Yankee stadium.

GL with whatever your team looks like next year. Never know, Manny says he wants to play there, GL with that and the baggage he brings.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm a Yankee fan...Here, Melky needed to go down he's a bit out of his league right now. He needs to work on some of his basics. Cano, that dude needs a trip to the minors, there is something wrong with Cano I mean mentally. As for Damon, he has never been the same without his hair lol I love my Yankees but the team is finished for this year. The team is too hot, and cold too often more cold than hot right now. And I don't know why the Yankees picked up Richie Saxson, that dude can't hit when you need him to, he was place on assignment this week.

What I worry about next year, the Yankees will have half there team as free agents. Who will stay, and who will go. I can't see Jeter in any other uniform other than pinstripes. >>

Part of the whole problem with major league baseball is the guaranteed pay before performance. If there were a base pay based upon time in service, then have added incentives, perhaps the clownish performance of Damon last night wouldn't happen. Same, same with the Manny thing in Boston. He got a bug up his ass and dogged the team, creating a bad environment...BUT, he still gets his uber-bucks every two weeks. Damon, if memory serves, is collecting $14m for 6 months of "performance on the field". Stunning! Yo, Johnny, try TWO hands next time.

Remember a recent comment by Hank S, that the failure of the Yankees is due to "injuries". I would have had more respect for the guy if he'd called it like it was, a combination of injuries and poor performance between the lines. Pick a player, they've all choked at one time or another since April, some choked more than others.Thus, Hank's solution for '09 is to bring in a "star pitcher" next season, "if that's what it takes'. Thus the insanity of throwing more money at the goal vs. getting better talent continues.

Imagine where your season would be without the outstanding performance by Mussina!!!

You guys ain't gone yet, but boy, are you hammering on the door. Kindofa sad way to end the final season at Yankee stadium.

GL with whatever your team looks like next year. Never know, Manny says he wants to play there, GL with that and the baggage he brings. >>

Hey, lets call it for what it is the Yankees are done. There performance has been bad, and A-Rod went on vacation. We're 11 games back we're done, cooked, and BBQ and I'm a Yankee fan, and a living NY Yankee, and I know the rest of NY doesn't lol. Even Mad is gone from the yes channel after 19 years Mad Dog had to say goodbye, so hey team, y guys say goodbye you're done, cooked, BBQ. The game last night was a give away, and gave up team like play.
    Big Kahuna

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    A lot of folks are conceding the wild card to either Boston or Tampa but watch out the Twins or White Sox....they both just keep winning.
  • Options

<< <i>

Hey, lets call it for what it is the Yankees are done. There performance has been bad, and A-Rod went on vacation. We're 11 games back we're done, cooked, . >>

Hey, I really like this guy. Smart cookie, and understands the game. image
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edmund the Axtell clone proudly professes he "likes" a Yankee fan for seeing things how they are ...... like we all do. Please put us to sleep a bit more with your WIT image

Any more Sox fans want to pile on and claim they understand the game so much more then us poor poor Yankee fans as our team crashes and burns? image

EVERYBODY is Mr. smart baseball guy when things are in their favor ....... B O R I N G image

I can recall just this last January when the Giants put the Pats to sleep ..... Giant / Yankee fans were not nearly as dopey as this as we congratulated Pats / Sox fans on a great game and did not lower ourselves to behave in such a self righteous, pompous, and arrogant way.

HEADS UP HIGH YANKEE FANS ...... we won't and never have been scum like this image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I know, I know. It sucks having to watch your 210 million dollar team close out the stadium wearing school dresses
    and licking lolipops. However, keep your head up high yankee fans, because you get to see the same thing next
    year as the girls open up the new yard. image We can call it "The House that Alexandria built" image
  • Options
    Tonights game its now 10 -0 Blue Jays. My Yankees went on vacation lol.
    Big Kahuna

• Options
    13-0 vs Halladay, hmmm.. I think they got this one...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Hope Moose can win his 17th tonight...would be very cool to see him put he whole "Yeah, but he's never won 20 games in a season" argument to bed. He got smacked around the last time he faced his former team, let's hope for his sake (and the Yanks as a whole) tonight is different. Even if he somehow doesn't manage to crack 20 wins, at least he is dependable.

You know what else is dependable? Red Sox fans complaining about our payroll. It's almost as if they don't realize they have the 4th highest payroll in all of MLB! I can understand if you're a Pirates or Royals fan complaining about our payroll, but when you're a front runner cheering on a team that dropped over $100 million on Dice K, it just makes you look stupid.
  • Options
    Okay then -

Rank (PY) 2008 Payroll 2007 Payroll Change
    1 (1) Yankees $209,081,579 $195,229,045 $13,852,534
    2 (9) Tigers $138,685,197 $95,180,369 $43,504,828
    3 (3) Mets $138,293,378 $117,915,819 $20,377,559
    4 (2) Red Sox $133,440,037 $143,526,214 ($10,086,177)
    5 (4) White Sox $121,152,667 $109,680,167 $11,472,500
    6 (5) Angels $119,216,333 $109,251,333 $9,965,000

So, the Yankees have a payroll that is over $70M (yes, $70M) higher than the second highest team (which, wow - isn't Boston!) which is essentially an amount higher than the individual payrolls of 18 other teams, and you don't think that's worth mentioning? The only thing more "stupid" than that, is spending all that money and finishing in third place (maybe).

Also, the Sox payroll number includes Manny - so it's actually about $18M less now. Which would make the Yankees payroll nearly double that of Boston's. But at this point, we aren't complaining so much about your payroll - we are basically just laughing at you.
  • Options

<< <i>

Also, the Sox payroll number includes Manny - so it's actually about $18M less now. Which would make the Yankees payroll nearly double that of Boston's. But at this point, we aren't complaining so much about your payroll - we are basically just laughing at you. >>

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Well the Yanks got the win but Moose did not. We'll take it...
  • Options
    Well the Yanks got the win but Moose did not. We'll take it...
  • Options
    Well I went away 6 games back in the WC, and we're still 6 back. We've got to do better.

Payroll discussion here is just dumb. Are you guys becoming a bunch of whining Axtroll surrogates. You have a huge payroll too, and you can't catch the Rays either.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    The Yankees need to just put their next two HOF pitchers into the rotation for the rest of the season and see what happens (Hughes and Kennedy). In fact when Joba gets back they will have three future HOF'ers pitching in September.
  • Options

<< <i>

Payroll discussion here is just dumb. . >>

Perhaps, but not as dumb as the resident village idiot. image
  • Options

<< <i>The Yankees need to just put their next two HOF pitchers into the rotation for the rest of the season and see what happens (Hughes and Kennedy). In fact when Joba gets back they will have three future HOF'ers pitching in September. >>

• Options

<< <i>The Yankees need to just put their next two HOF pitchers into the rotation for the rest of the season and see what happens (Hughes and Kennedy). In fact when Joba gets back they will have three future HOF'ers pitching in September. >>

Thanks man, that gave me a good laugh.
  • Options
    Joba is awesome. Hughes will be excellent. Kennedy sucks and will never amount to anything.