Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Love the Vintage Football!

Comments

• Options
    Latest pickup.

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I have been following this auction...smells fishy, but it is a Bronco. If legit the guy has no clue, 37 FB all from Sellers. Kind of funny how he's approaching selling this card. Anyone want to gamble...not me!

1st try

2nd try

3rd times a charm?

I think a <$100 scanner would be a good investment.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    revmoranrevmoran Posts: 398 ✭✭
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    That's a fine looking 3.

Did you acquire it? If so, congratulations!image

Robert
  • Options
    Yes, I bought it - its fits right into my collection which is mostly middle of the road stuff. Now I'd like to find a Nagurski Wheaties panel.
  • Options
    Nice Bronko. I'm looking for a similar, but still waiting to pull the trigger.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your buy. I also bought an SGC 40 Nagurski; mine was acquired about 1.5 years ago. I believe that yours is nicer than mine because yours has far fewer brown discolored spots. Your central image appears to have retained good color, and it presents beautifully in the SGC holder! It's truly one of the classic cards of the hobby. Thanks for sharing the beauty with us.

-Keith
  • Options
    I would Love to have a Nagurski in my collection one day
    I just hope to find one as centered as yours revmoran for a fair price
    Great card!

Great collection you have!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    This is a somewhat unusual Nagurksi item - part of a set of 11 photographs of College All Americans issued by the Albert Richards Coat Company in 1929 - they measure 9" x 12" and are on paper stock - not quite as heavy or glossy as the Chicle R311 photos. The others in the set are Ackerman, Cagle, Cannon, Carideo, Donchess, Glassgow, Montgomery, Sleight, Tappaan, and Welch.
  • Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a somewhat unusual Nagurksi item - part of a set of 11 photographs of College All Americans issued by the Albert Richards Coat Company in 1929 - they measure 9" x 12" and are on paper stock - not quite as heavy or glossy as the Chicle R311 photos. The others in the set are Ackerman, Cagle, Cannon, Carideo, Donchess, Glassgow, Montgomery, Sleight, Tappaan, and Welch.
    image >>

That is awesome. I should get me one of those Albert Richard coats. If Bronko likes them, they must be good. Great card and great coat.
  • Options
    Picked this card up from ebay, now my oldest Football card
    1929 Churchman Sports & Games

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    Today's mail

imageimage
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Nice Howie. I don't think he went to College. A free agent straight to the pro's.

-----------------

Nice Bronko coat ad photo. He's styling. It looks like he might
    be reaching for a piece. This was Chicago in 1929.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say that this thread does not suck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words - this just in:

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Bumped for Bob. image

Snorto~
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Seeing this thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It brings me to my "happy" place!
  • Options
    I've been delinquent posting my pick ups. Will scan and post some this weekend. Just picked up a Hinkle - PSA 4, but the price was right.
  • Options
  • Options
    The original thread is right here. Thanks for bringing back the interest, BDB.

While Photobucket problems continue to prevent me from sharing scans on the Boards, I'll enjoy seeing your scans. Great-looking '52 Bowmans there!

I heard from Perkdog just last week or so over on the Sports Talk Forum.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    In honor of the resurrection of this thread, let me share my latest and least-vintage football card custom creation.

You can find the details on my blgo, linked below, and if you scroll down a few pages within the blog, you can see what other cards I've been working on since this thread went on hiatus.
  • Options
    I searched the darn archives for this thread..couldn't find it...thanks for your help. Last post was back on 8/11...almost 6 months ago....that needs to change! I will repost....

This was always my favorite thread on the forum. Us vintage football guys should be ashamed that we let this great thread disappear! I couldn't find the original one, so I am starting fresh.

Todays mail pick-ups:

Picked these up for a steal (at least in my mind) last week. Can't help but think of our friend Paul "PerkDog" Perkins everytime I grab a new 52 large. Maybe this post will get him to come out of hiding!

Vintage football guys...it is our duty to keep this thread alive! The football Gods demand it!
  • Options
    Thanks for reviving this thread - two holiday pickups
    imageimage
  • Options
    Rev..those are simply awesome! I LOVE the Grange!!!
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Love the Carl Weathers!! A Stabler in this year would look awesome too hint hint. John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    I'll keep it going with two of my favorites.....

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is one of my favorite threads. I am glad it was brought back from the dead.

Here are some of my pickups over the last couple of months:

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    To keep the momentum going. My wife is from Helena, MT. Got this while she was laid up in the hospital.

• Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Cool thread. I'll play. I picked up this Red Grange Shotwell's ad back a while ago, but finally submitted with my renewal gradings.

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I just picked up one of the big boys for my 1951 Bowman set. Been wanting a Van Brocklin rookie for awhile. Finally got one!
    This also is my third Van Brocklin for the Master set. Just gotta get five more...

Sam

Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    It's terrific to see any Van Brocklin RC here. Nice grade. Thanks for sharing, Sam. The Van Brocklin RC is one of the most aesthetically pleasing cards ever printed. (It also helps that he QBed my Eagles to their last NFL Title 50 years ago).

You and I have parallel collecting interest - some of the very same vintage football classic cards.
  • Options
    the Van Brocklin is awesome!!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I'm a teacher, so I have to watch my budget a bit. I wanted an 8 for that card, but I liked the 7.5 and I got it for less than half of VCP of an 8, so I'm quite pleased. I don't have a lot of the graded 51's (probably because I can't keep my interests focused on one thing - I've started player collections for most of the football HOFers - at least the vintage ones). But it sure is fun going after them.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    That is a great Grange and Van Brocklin!

Love the stuff..keep them coming!

I am building the 1951 Bowman set in SGC. Have about 25 cards to go to complete the set. It is really a remarkably aesthetic set. Here are some of my recent crossovers and pick-ups:

• Options
    I know you guys are in love with the 52's, but I still believe the 51's are even nicer. I can only imagine if the 51's were in large size!!! Big Daddy those are so gorgeous and they look great with the black backing!
  • Options
    The Checklist for the 57 set is almost as much as the Starr, or Unitas....
    southside, i love that Grange Shotwell man, one of my favorite sets.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    I picked this up in a trade. Does anyone know the value or any information on the set.
  • Options
    time to bump this thread back up to the top.

2 additions this week:

this being the bigger one for me, as both an LSU fan and a HOF collector.

• Options
    I put a not-too-aggressive bid or two on that same Van Buren in the eBay auction that just ended.

Congrats on the pickups.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    I'm nearly ready to go to press with my first effort at an O-Pee-Chee style custom card. I'm still hoping to get a real French-Canadian translation for the copy on the back; I had to make do with internet free translation from English to French-French.

You can find the details of the card's creation on my blog, linked below.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Just picked up a 56 Topps Set w/47 PSA and checklist.Have not looked at it yet as I have been too busy. Will show some scans when I get time.I have ended by Baseball buying for now except upgrades for sets that are the registry,59 Topps 53 Bowman and 75 topps mini all baseball.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Just picked this up today. I have bought 4 PSA 7 Layne's and tried crossing over to SGC and failed everytime..so I patiently waited for one to come up already slabbed by SGC...after 2 years...finally nabbed one.

I am starting to see the light at the end of this tunnel! About 15 cards to go of the 144 for the set.
  • Options
    BigDaddyB- Really nice Layne. Congrats. I'm about 50% through my set. I assume you are building the set in SGC holders?
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>BigDaddyB- Really nice Layne. Congrats. I'm about 50% through my set. I assume you are building the set in SGC holders? >>

Thanks..yes I am building a SGC graded set. My avg. is about a 7.5 but most stars are 8's. If you need any 51's I have a bunch available.
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    just picked up this well-loved beauty today - only three more to go to finish up my raw Rams set. image

• Options
    Well-loved is right, but so is 'beauty'. A gorgeous card!!!
  • Options
    Picked up these tough Mayfair candies cards...havn't decided if I am going to keep or re-sell...hmmm??

• Options
    Great stuff guys. Just picked up a 48 Bowman Pihos PSA 4 off ebay, but well centered. I've only got 20 more to go to complete my HOFer collection. Will post scan when it arrives.
  • Options

<< <i>Picked up these tough Mayfair candies cards...havn't decided if I am going to keep or re-sell...hmmm??
    ] >>

LOL, I won 3 of those too, I was the underbidder on those ones, sorry BDB! Kevin at Cardboard classic, seems like a really classy guy. He had the Grange in sgc 88 up last week, I got caught on a late flight and missed bidding on it, frustrating as those dont come up very often in that grade.