Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Basketball HOF Autographs Thread

Comments

• Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Nice card Justin! I have always liked the UD Century Set. The checklist is awesome and I have always loved the design. image
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options

<< <i>Nice card Justin! I have always liked the UD Century Set. The checklist is awesome and I have always loved the design. image >>

I agree with you Reese. The large white area of the card below the picture where the player signs makes the autograph jump right off the card. More autograph cards should use this format. Some of the new Press Pass autos are using it and some are signed with a red sharpie.
  • Options
    Art,

How did you do with your auctions? I was going to bid on the Bradley, but forgot to put in my snipe.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Overall not bad. I received $148 for the Bradley ( I replaced it with a PSA/DNA center Court signed card Graded a 7 in my registry set. I paid $30 for it raw and had it graded for $20 by PSA/DNA). A lot of people may have passed on it because of its PSA 5 grade due to a crease/fold in the upper left corner that they all seem to have from the manufacturer, but that may have been a mistake. As of now its his only authenticated card which means a lot to some people (Sport) and barring him signing again there wont be any other authenticated cards in the immediate future.
  • Options
    Very nice! If I recall correctly, when the Fan Favorites was released they were selling for $100-115. Most of them, like you said, had creases and I ended up passing on few that would have probably been okay. I did break a box of the Fan Favorites. I liked the product, although I pulled junk.

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Yeah, nice card J, I also like that set. Matter of fact, when it comes time for a Wilt Chamberlain, thats the card i'm gona pick, the Retro is ok, but the look of these cards is much better.

I don't bother getting cards of young players, I try to get the old timers first. I think thats a pretty nice looking card, you know the Bill Bradley, but like I said, he's way younger than a lot of other guys, and I try to stick with the older, because the yonger guys are always gona sign before its all said and done, but with the older guys, you never do know.

I recently picked up a Bobby Knight Inkredible Inscriptions signed with and inscription "HOF 95" and its serial numbered to 25 and its on card auto, I know it dosen't matter to a lot of you, lol, but I like it image

I already have that Wooden/Knight dual auto in my set registry, but i'm counting that as a Wooden card now, and the new Knight auto will be for him.

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>Overall not bad. I received $148 for the Bradley ( I replaced it with a PSA/DNA center Court signed card Graded a 7 in my registry set. I paid $30 for it raw and had it graded for $20 by PSA/DNA). A lot of people may have passed on it because of its PSA 5 grade due to a crease/fold in the upper left corner that they all seem to have from the manufacturer, but that may have been a mistake. As of now its his only authenticated card which means a lot to some people (Sport) and barring him signing again there wont be any other authenticated cards in the immediate future. >>

I have followed this set since released
    All of the Bradley autos From the Fan Favorites I have seen have that bad corner. He also has a super rare Action Packed that must be really rare(don't know if both cards in the set have an auto, since I have only seen one(ebay member walangley won it in 6/2005)
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, nice card J, I also like that set. Matter of fact, when it comes time for a Wilt Chamberlain, thats the card i'm gona pick, the Retro is ok, but the look of these cards is much better.

I don't bother getting cards of young players, I try to get the old timers first. I think thats a pretty nice looking card, you know the Bill Bradley, but like I said, he's way younger than a lot of other guys, and I try to stick with the older, because the yonger guys are always gona sign before its all said and done, but with the older guys, you never do know.

Sport do you have a clue what you are talking about? Bill Bradley is 64 yrs old far from being a "Young player". Younger than what other guys? Oh yeah I know Bobby Knight hes 67. And John Wooden he is 97 and probably signed more cards than Bradley and Knight put together. Please get your facts straight.
  • Options
    Relaz Art, lol, I must have been confused, don't try to be cool like other board members and jump on any mistake you see image

I guess I was wrong about Bradley, didn't realize he was that old like Knight. Part of what I mean is that I like to go with guys who are in their mid to late 70's and 80's and up.

I guess I gotta start doing a little more studying on these guys ages, but thank you for bringing this to me attention is such a kind manor image

Giovanni

Edited to say: My fault, that first word is "relax" Art, there I go again making mistakes imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice! If I recall correctly, when the Fan Favorites was released they were selling for $100-115. Most of them, like you said, had creases and I ended up passing on few that would have probably been okay. I did break a box of the Fan Favorites. I liked the product, although I pulled junk. >>

After going for around 110-130 , they started to go for around 130-150. Now I would say the last 10 had gone for an average of $100, so I think 148 for the PSA 5 is a good price for what they are going for at the moment.

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options

<< <i>Relaz Art, lol, I must have been confused, don't try to be cool like other board members and jump on any mistake you see image

I guess I was wrong about Bradley, didn't realize he was that old like Knight. Part of what I mean is that I like to go with guys who are in their mid to late 70's and 80's and up.

I guess I gotta start doing a little more studying on these guys ages, but thank you for bringing this to me attention is such a kind manor image

Giovanni >>

Hey Sport I am perfectly "Relazed" but you are constantly coming on this thread giving us your "expert insights' to Basketball HOF autographs and which ones are the best according to you and than seem to have no clue as to who Bill Bradley is. Now you are telling me you just like to go with "guys in their mid to late 70's and up". Well if thats the case I would purchase as soon as possible the following players autographs while their still alive, Gallatin/Gola/Martin/Dick McGuire/Mikkelsen/Haynes/Houbregs/Sam Jones/Lovellette/Pettit and Russell there may be more but those players off the top of my head I know fall into your newest category of autographs to own.
  • Options
    You are something else Art, lol.

I sometimes mention the cards I think is better for my set, not anybody elses. This is a board were you share things right? I never said you should collect this, or you should get this card instead of that. Maybe I gave my opinion which I thought was a better card, but that dosen't mean i'm telling you to get that card.

like I said, I try to get autos of the old guys because they may not sign anymore, because some of them just don't want to be bothered in their old age I guess. I have seen some of the older guys sign one year and then don't sign for the next 5 years, so thats what i'm talking about. Obviously the younger guys will sign again most likely, so I just hold off on them unless theres a great card that I can't pass up, or is a great looking card that "I" think they won't make another better looking one, then I get that card of the younger player.

I don't come on these boards to tell anybody what do to. You collect what you collect and I have said that pleanty of times, your always trying to start some kind of trouble for some reason, maybe to imitate other board members(you want to be cool too? LOL).

I come here to share my thoughts, look at other people's collection, I always like to see what others are collecting, and like to show my new picks ups and so on. Hopefuly get to trade with somebody that collects the same stuff as me. When I say same I mean certified autos, its cool to collect what you collect, but its not for me, I hope theres not a problem with that, lol. image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Art, whats going on? You totaly changed your post, thats not right! image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Its amazing to me how you can go on and on in your reply's and basically not answer the basic issue I had with your original post about Bill Bradley. This thread Reese started is primarily supposed to address HOF Players ETC. and ways to obtain/collect autographs of them. Not knowing who Bill Bradley is would be like a Baseball collector not knowing who say Tom Seaver was or A Football collector not knowing who Terry Bradshaw was. All I basically said was get your Facts straight before commenting blindly in the thread and I am going to stick by my comments regardless of what you think.
  • Options
    In other news....

Got this Willis Reed in the mail today. Not half bad for $5. A lot of these old time basketball players are surprisingly affordable. I stay away from the new NBA because I do not connect with most of the players, and the current hype over inflates the card prices on many players.

• Options

<< <i>In other news....

Got this Willis Reed in the mail today. Not half bad for $5. A lot of these old time basketball players are surprisingly affordable. I stay away from the new NBA because I do not connect with most of the players, and the current hype over inflates the card prices on many players.

image >>

I could not agree with you more. I was and always will be a fan of the Willis Reed led Knicks argueably one of the greatest teams in NBA history with Willis,Walt Frazier,Dave DeBusschere,Earl Monroe and oh yeah whats his name? Bill Bradley.LOL (sorry I wont do that again) Real nice card send it in for grading on the next special.
  • Options
    Nice Willis Reed J, I don't have a Reed yet, have been wanting one for a while, but always get outbid on ones I liked image

Art, I didn't say I don't know who Bill Bradley is, I was just not sure of his age.

Giovanni
  • Options

<< <i>In other news....

image >>

Nice card Justin, and for $5 bucks what could be better!

I completely agree with what your saying. People are dishing out tons of cash for rookies and it just never really made sense to me. Why pay $200 for some overhyped rookie, when you could get Bill Russell for sometimes under $100. Why pay for pontential when most of these guys turn out to be average players.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I didn't know he paid $5 for it, thats even better, lol. I would have definetly picked this one up for 5 bucks. You can't go wrong with a crisp signature and a nice card design.

Reese, I never understand why people buy rookies too, your spending all that cash for nothing if you ask me, not like its ever gona go up in value, or at least not like autographed cards do.

I'll never buy a $500 rookie or something like that, i'd rather buy some great auto cards image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Oh, I almost forgot, lol. I would rather buy 100 Willis Reed autos for 5 bucks each instead of buying a $500 rookie card image

Don't I wish I could buy 100 of them for that cheap image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Canidates for the Basketball Hall Of Fame were introduced today They are Players;Olajuwon/Ewing/ Dantley/Dennis Johnson/Gueriin and International player Maciel Pereira (I dont have a clue )
    Coaches Pat Riley/Don Nelson/Cathy Rush and Togo Soares (?)
    Contributors Dick Vitale/Johnny Red Kerr/Bill Davidson (?) and Victor Bubas (?)
    Anyway here are some autos I have to get ready just in case.

• Options
    Just got this Jerry Lucas in the mail today. Kind of neat in that it is actually card #1 in the 50 card run for this particular issue.

• Options
    Goodlieu,

Very nice cards there for this year's potential inductees. I need to pick up a Dennis Johnson soon as the price is still relatively affordable for a deceased player.

J
  • Options
    Art,

Any predictions on who makes it in? I would assume Olajuwon and Ewing would be locks, but I am not really sure how the Basketball HOF nomination process works.

BTW, nice cards!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese, I've given up trying to figure how these mysterious people vote so I hope it works out as follows;
    Players; Olajuwon,Ewing,Dantly,DJ
    Coaches; Riley,Nellie
    Contributors; Vitale,Kerr
    Maybe Ricie Guerin (Veterns Committee selection as a player)
  • Options
    Art,

Do you know if there is a min. or max. amount of inductees per year?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese I went to the HOF site and pulled this info related to your question (I had no clue either)

"Screening Committees may put forth a maximum number of finalists to the Honors Committee as follows: North American 10; all others 2".

The best I can figure is that a total of 12 could go in on a given year according to that information.
  • Options
    Thanks for looking that up for me Art. I know how the football, baseball, and hockey Hall of Fames elect, but was always a bit confused about the process for basketball. I am getting my first basketball submission ready, so I will be able to join everyone on the registry.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese, its great to hear that your going to join the set regirty soon, I can't wait, the more the better! This way we can blos Art away with our cards image

You should have seen Art getting all nasty, and trying to fit in with the others, and yet, he mentioned that he came back from church before you stated to get all nasty, lol, just busting your chops Art.

Tired of what? What are you tired of? Me getting all the sweet cards? image Now, i'm trying to be a hater too, I never was one, but it feels a little good image

Don't worry Art, your set will always be king! Yeah right image Again Art, i'm busting your chops, no need to get all girly on me, lolllll.

Reese, great to hear your joining soon. I hope I will come around to putting a submission together some day. I'm wasting all my time fighting off these "haters" that I hardly have time for anything else, but thats gona change now, because i'm gona make them sing to the sky.

Giovanni
  • Options
    This is going to be my response to you Sport for now and always on these boards regardless of any incomprehensible comments you have in regard to me or this hobby.

You win "Sport" I personally am totally mortified as a mature adult that I attempted to have rational dialogue with you in regards to the hobby that I love and I vow from this post forward that regardless of what you post from here on in you will not get me to comment on it. I sincerly wish you luck with your "Collection" and truly hope that you get the professional help you need.
    Art >>
  • Options
    Well, I certainly won't be blowing past Art anytime soon. Art has been very gracious to me, helping with every question I have had along the way. I am extremely thankful for the input he provides to this thread.

I've read the entire "Youtube" thread, and really don't have anything to say about it. I'm not offended by it, but I think it was a bad idea to post a link to it. I turned the volume off and did enjoy seeing your cards. Good luck with that, I'm not really sure what else I can say that hasn't already been said. I hope we can get back to focusing on collecting and leave the drama behind.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Well, I certainly won't be blowing past Art anytime soon. Art has been very gracious to me, helping with every question I have had along the way. I am extremely thankful for the input he provides to this thread.

I've read the entire "Youtube" thread, and really don't have anything to say about it. I'm not offended by it, but I think it was a bad idea to post a link to it. I turned the volume off and did enjoy seeing your cards. Good luck with that, I'm not really sure what else I can say that hasn't already been said. I hope we can get back to focusing on collecting and leave the drama behind. >>

Reese thanks for the kind words. That what these boards are about, Collectors having dialogue and getting and receiving information that ultimatly will improve their various collections. Also in the years I have been on these boards the members here by and large have been knowlegeable,helpful and most of all respectful to each other and the hobby even when the have vehemently disagreed on various topics. I for one have no problem focusing on collecting as you rightly stated as thats the only reason I come on these threads in the first place.
    Art
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys,
    I just picked up UD Century Autos of Sharman and Cowens. I'll be sending them in for grading, so I'll be joining you soon, too!

Mark
  • Options
    Welcome aboard Mark. Good Luck with the collection.
    Art
  • Options
    Reese, look at these 2 cards I picked up. I didn't want to be left out of getting these guys before they get into the HOF.

I got a Dennis Johnson: Linky

And a Richie Guerin: Linky

Reese, have you picked up any of the guys who may make the HOF this year, or do you have them already?

By the way, Welcome to the set Mark! image

Its always nice getting new people to join this great colletion. The more people join, the more fun it gets. By the way, I have a great Dave DeBussch4ere that would help you start your collection, do you already have him? Do you have anything to trade for it? I have an ebay account, and you could check my feedbacks by clicking on one of those links above. I know some people have talked trtash about me lately, but thats just because they want to be cool too and join the "haters" on these boards.

But I am not here for drama like some are. I am here to trade with others, share our collections and so on. Don't let others make up your mind about my intenssions here. Anyway, with that out of the way, I want to welcome you again and good luck with everything. I have many doubles and triples and so on, so please send me a PM if you are interestead in trading or anything.

Giovanni
  • Options
    Hi Mark,

Welcome, good to see your joining the fun. I have bought some cards from Mark before and he is a good guy. Nice pickups BTW.

John,

I have autos of Olajuwon, Mullin, Riley, and Ewing. I probably won't buy anything until the class has been announced. There are too many HOFers out there I need before I start predicting on the future class. Nice cards, I do need to pickup a Dennis Johnson one of these days.

I finally won a Barkley! It will do for now. I am glad to finally add him. I am down to 2 autos for the top 50 (Maravich and McHale)
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese nice Barkley. You can enter that card as is on the HOF auto registry and it will accept it. It will show as a 1 in the grade column. If you look at my set my Dutch Dehnert card is Authentic also and shows a one. Later on if you feel like it you can bring the card in the slab to a show where PSA is onsite and since its already authenticated for the Auto they could give you a grade for the card (Looks like a NM 7 to me at least) if you want to.
  • Options
    Thanks Art!

I am just excited to get him marked off the list. I have a stack of autos with only the "authentic" label and no grade. I believe it is $10 for the PSA to change the flip. One of these days I will get them all changed over, as it will really help with my registry sets.

You've got some great auctions going. I have a few on my watch list. Thanks for the heads up.

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese one other thing in my opinion, you should not wait on a Dennis Johnson auto to long. His cards can be had for a decent price now but that will change dramatically when he gets into the hall (Hopefully this year). My Dennis Johnson which I posted a picture of earlier in the thread graded out to a PSA 8 so If I see any going off in the $15-$20 area I'm going to grab it and see if I can get one grade in the 9/10 area for my set. The one thing I learned about collecting through the years is that the only way to save some money and get cards at a low price is to use your knowledge of the sport and try to guess who will make it in beforehand. I read the comments in your Football thread and I know that if you had to buy those cards now it would probably cost you triple what it originally cost you but like me you probably have a good idea who is becoming eligible in the next few years in the Sport your most knowledgable about.IMO
    Art
  • Options
    Thats very true Art. I only noticed one 04 Legends Dennis Johnson on ebay, so if your going to bid on it I will wait for the next one. It does pay to be ahead, and it has greatly helped me with my football collection. I am just trying to cut back a little bit. I just spent about $2K on two football signatures and really need to take a little break. I probably won't be picking up much for a little while unless I can find a good deal or find some of the HOF bookmarks.

When is the HOF announcement? I can't remember and can't seem to find it anywhere.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I think its announced in April. One other thing I left out about DJ was that he is Deceased which means his cards will dry up pronto (Like DeBusschere's did).
  • Options
    Go for it (The DJ on EBAY) let me know if you get one. I can wait.
  • Options
    Alright, well thank you! I remember passing up several Dennis Johnson's when the Legends set was released. They were ending for around $5 at the time. After his untimely death, they shot up to around $40 if I recall correctly. You are correct, in that they probably wont be any cheaper than right now.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Reese, thats a nice looking Barkley! I don't usualy like non-certified autos, but I know how hard it is to get Barkley, and he sells for really high too, so congrats. Did you get that on ebay?

You know, I have a McHale like that one. I kinda didn't like it at first, but now I keep looking at the auto and it looks better as time goes on, lol. Will have to do untill he comes out with a certified auto.

I sure hope Dennis Johnson makes it in this year, he sure deserves it. He played with one of the best teams and players of all time. I hope Ewing gets in as well, but I don't see why he shouldn't get in.

Giovanni
  • Options
    Yep, it was from ebay. I refuse to pay a couple hundred dollars for a certified copy, so I am happy with this one.

I'm rooting for Hakeem to get in. He is one of my all time favorite players. I was lucky enough to see him play a couple times here in Indy and once while I was visiting family in Houston. He shouldn't have any trouble getting in, but I am still rooting for him!
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Yeah Reese, I think Hakeem deserves it too. I have been looking for the right auto of him, but haven't found it yet. There is so many to choose from, so I keep passing many up thinking i'll get in next time. By time I find the right one for me, its probably gona cost me more when and if he gets in, I sure think he's a lock, but you just never know.

Can't wait for you and Mark to join in on the quest! image

By the way, do you have a DeBusschere auto?

Giovanni
  • Options
    Here is my best auto of Dennis Johnson

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    Nice Maravich auto Art,
    I have very limited knowledge on his autos, but if I had to take an educated guess I would say it's real

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    Mex, thats a very cool Dennis Johnson! image

Do you collect Basketball HOF autos? Are you going to join the PSA set registry anytime soon? What does you collection look like? Got any scans? Very nice card!!!!!!

Giovanni
  • Options
    Check out this Slater Martin I picked up: Linky

Pretty good price I think.

Giovanni