Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official Basketball HOF Autographs Thread

Comments

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    By the way, i'm downloading all my photos from by this website called Tinypic.com. A guy from these boards told me about it and it works very good!

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    My Jeannette Cut:

The 3 OF 3 Jeannette Cut:

I will try to add a scan of the 2 OF 3 when I find it LOL
  • Options
    Reese3333Reese3333 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭
    Great looking stuff!

I really like that Mikan. That is one of my favorite sets. Keep up the good work!

Reese
    Collecting the following autographed sets:
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
    Please be sure to check out my auctions!
  • Options

<< <i>Great looking stuff!

I really like that Mikan. That is one of my favorite sets. Keep up the good work!

Reese >>

Thanks man, i've been collecting this stuff for a long time and it takes long hours. What do you plan on doing with your Football HOF Auto set? Were you gona sell it and start on a Basketball set or keep both?

What happened to Art and the other guys? Nobody coming on lol. I guess its me and you for nowimage I would like to see Mobilizebob and others come on too but lets try to keepo this thread going anyway. Does anybody have any Basketball HOF Autos to show off? You don't have to be a collector of thise set to show off your cards, come on in and post some eye candyimage
  • Options
    I am going to keep my football auto set. It took me over three years to get where I am now. I need 14 more autos, all of which are $500 +. I am going to finish that set if it kills me. Football has always been my number #1 passion, so it will always come before basketball for me.

I plan on just chipping away at this set. Maybe pick up a few cards every month or so. I've done some searching on ebay and several of the guys I need are easy to find. I dont need a 1/1, jersey, or low serial numbered stuff, so things are pretty easy to find. As long as I have the autograph and the card grades PSA 8 I am happy.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>I am going to keep my football auto set. It took me over three years to get where I am now. I need 14 more autos, all of which are $500 +. I am going to finish that set if it kills me. Football has always been my number #1 passion, so it will always come before basketball for me.

I plan on just chipping away at this set. Maybe pick up a few cards every month or so. I've done some searching on ebay and several of the guys I need are easy to find. I dont need a 1/1, jersey, or low serial numbered stuff, so things are pretty easy to find. As long as I have the autograph and the card grades PSA 8 I am happy. >>

I was never interestead in Football of Baseball cards, its always been Basketball cards since around 1992. I like watching Baseball sometimes but not much, I actualyh just like watching the Yankees play and exspecialy in the World Seriesimage But with Basketball I wlike to watch any game with any team playing, just love the gameimage I never really got into watching Football, I tried a few times but couldn't stay aweak, I like #33 Al Bundy but thats about it HAHAHAHAHA, also like Bubbe Smith, only for his movies I guess, I have a 1972 Kedkard of Smith. I'll try to add the scan later.

All cards when you really look at it are numbered even when there not. Compared to cards in the old days when they printed 100,000's or millions of them, today they are all short printed even if their not serial numbered. All Basketball products these days are all low printed even the cheapest product from the lowest company because they will insert an autographed card that is not numbered but with the odds of 26,000 packs or something LOL, so when you look at it there all really numbered because there are only so mane of that particular card evern made, you know what I mean? I like the serial numbered ones but it dosen't mean that the others are no good, I have pleanty of non-serial numbered cards, I just don't have any pictures saved on my computer to post here, I would have to take scans of them at some point and post it, don't feel like plugging in my scanner and doing the whole process right now, feeling lazy LOL.

Actualy for me, I don't care about the grade one bit, I only care that its a great looking auto on the card and the card itself is kinda rare. I don't care about a PSA 5, 6, 7, ok if I can get an 8, 9 or 10 i'll definetly take it LOL, but it dosen't really matter to me. I guess for re-sale pursosses it would matter but I don't plan of selling any cards so it dosen't really matter to me, i'm not starting a collection to sell it. I would sell cards from my collection if I get an upgrade or better looking auto on card or doubles and so on. The lowest grade I have so far is 8, I definetly now that in my next batch I will get maybe a 5, 6 and 7, i'm going to send in some condition sensative cards so they will definetly come back low but hey, there for my set and I must get them graded in order to like them in the set. I hate having cards all around in different cases/holders so eventualy I will be sending in all my cards to be graded by PSA and submitted to my Set Registry.

Giovanni
  • Options
    I hear you about the serial numbering. I guess I just don't place an emphasis on getting something low numbered. For modern stuff, I don't think there is any reason a card should grade less than a 8. The vintage stuff is a different story. In my football set, I've got several cards that grade in the 4-7 range. If the autograph is difficult to find, your options are limited so you take what you can find.

I might try and get some stuff graded with monthly special and then maybe I'll get my registry set going. I did just spend about $1100 in grading fees last month, so I might need a break.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>I hear you about the serial numbering. I guess I just don't place an emphasis on getting something low numbered. For modern stuff, I don't think there is any reason a card should grade less than a 8. The vintage stuff is a different story. In my football set, I've got several cards that grade in the 4-7 range. If the autograph is difficult to find, your options are limited so you take what you can find.

I might try and get some stuff graded with monthly special and then maybe I'll get my registry set going. I did just spend about $1100 in grading fees last month, so I might need a break.

Reese >>

Reese, some modern sets are worst then vintage for sensativity, sets such as 2001 Fleer GOTG Coach's Corner or the All-American or the 2003-04 UD Legends Championship Numbers which I have a Billy Cunning Ham and Tommy Heainson like that and they look to be in really bad shape card grade wise but the autos are perfect! The Heinson is only numbered to 15 and most on them will be in the same condition, I really don't see one of the 15 made in perfect condition for the card.

WOW, $1100 in grading fees? What did you grade? Do you have a set registry right now for another set? Can I have the link to see them? You should try to put a link of any sets you have if you want of course in your sig(on the bottom of your posts). I'm sending some cards in with the $5.00 special but the trick is that you can only send certified autos from 1998 to 2000 only, to bad it wasen't till like 2005 LOL, that would have been GREAT!!!!!

Giovanni
  • Options
    It was all football. I'll let you know when I get them back and get scans added. I don't really have to many things graded now, but heres a link to my sets:

HOF Rookies

HOF Autos

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>It was all football. I'll let you know when I get them back and get scans added. I don't really have to many things graded now, but heres a link to my sets:

HOF Rookies

HOF Autos >>

Reese, I love the Bart Starrimage WOW, you got it inscribed to you, nice! Never got a card inscribed to meimage Nice set of autos and like your rookies too, especialy like the All-American rookie card, I love all those All-American looking cards like some of the Basketball autos I have, also like the Football ones but to bad their on stickers and not on card. I don't do Football but I would have bought a few of those all-american's if they were on card.

Can't wait till you start on that Basketball HOF Autographs on the registry, we need more people for that registry, I keep seeing lots of people for other sets and it would be nice this set set was important too LOL. I see sets that have 20 registrences, do you know what the max? I just tried to register that 1934 Goudey PSA 6 and didn't show up in the set registry, maybe they stop at 20 people?

John(to long to keep typping Giovanni LOLLLL)
  • Options
    Thanks John,

Bart Starr signs through the mail for $20. Pretty cheap for a HOFer of his calibur.

I think people will come around on this set. There are too many great HOF players to ignore it. Maybe with this thread, we can the raise interest level.

You might have to contact customer service about your Goudey card. I've had trouble adding things before, but they have always been able to help me in a quick and professional manner. Good luck!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks John,

Bart Starr signs through the mail for $20. Pretty cheap for a HOFer of his calibur.

I think people will come around on this set. There are too many great HOF players to ignore it. Maybe with this thread, we can the raise interest level.

You might have to contact customer service about your Goudey card. I've had trouble adding things before, but they have always been able to help me in a quick and professional manner. Good luck!

Reese >>

Not a bad price I guess.

Were is Art? LOL, he was here the first day of the thread and dissapeared, were are you Art? How about the other guy? Whats his name? Is there anybody else besides us 4? People don't be shy, come on in and show off your Basketball HOF Autosimage You don't have to have a PSA set registry, just share some scans or whatever!
  • Options
    Reese, I contacted a guy named Joe who also collects Legends autos, and he said that he would take a look at the thread, hopefuly he joins up. I don't know if he is a member yet but hope he signs up, very nice guy, has great looking cards and would be a great addition to this thread. He got a sweet collection of Mikan autos!

Hey Joe, if you've seen the thread, now what are you waiting for? LOL, come in and joinimage
  • Options
    Sounds good, the more people involved the better! image
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    John,

Did you see this one?

Wilt Chamberlain Gold Auto
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I guess the mention of the line on the back of the card cost it about a thousand dollars. Unbelievable. And to think I was complaining when I paid $300 on the "Bay" for my Inkredible Wilt when it came out LOL.
  • Options
    Yeah, even one in terrible condition goes for over $1000. I really wish I would have grabbed one a couple years ago, but at this point I'll think I will go with a nice PSA/DNA example. I couldn't bring myself to dish out that kind of cash for Wilt.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Hey guys, I didn't see that one and I have been searching for Chamberlain autos, guess i'm not doing a good search, lol. I really wouldn't care about the grade of the card for a Chamberlain auto, only the auto grade. I'll wait for a Chamberlain auto from a card shop, with the owner using a price guide from 2000, HAHAHAHAHAHA. That will never happen, and I wouldn't do that anyways, I would tell the guy hes charging way to little for itimage
  • Options
    Hey Reese, i'm sure you've seen this one?

The Best Wilt Chmaberlain Autograph PERIOD!

Now, would I have loved to get me one of these image Back in the day, I probably would have paid $1,000 for it, maximage
  • Options
    I've said it before and I will say it again. That card should NOT be in a 10 holder. I really think they need to consider the grade of the autograph as a factor when determining a grade.

I would take this one anyday of the week, over a Gold parralel with a weak signature:
    Wilt Chamberlain Auto

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>I've said it before and I will say it again. That card should NOT be in a 10 holder. I really think they need to consider the grade of the autograph as a factor when determining a grade.

I would take this one anyday of the week, over a Gold parralel with a weak signature:
    Wilt Chamberlain Auto

Reese >>

Of course Reese, I wouldn't buy that card even if I had the money, LOL. That card is the best Chamberlain auto card, but of course that auto is in bad shape. I think that card would definetly be worst as much as the seller wants for it, if the auto was perfect, but I guess you can't have everything, right? LOL
  • Options
    By the way, in a question I asked before on these boards about that Chamberlain auto link you gave, that sold for $1500. Does it mean now that they will lower the book value to $1500 because of that sale? Or they will leave it for $1900 based on that one sale of a little over $1900? Man, beckett sucks! I think PSA should come out with a price guide for these auto cards!
  • Options
    John,

I wouldn't think so based on one sale. I think if it consistently sold for $1500, you would see a drop. I am sure beckett would need more evidence before they make a change. It must be a good time to pick one up if they are selling for $400 less than beckett value, but still insanely overpriced IMO.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>John,

I wouldn't think so based on one sale. I think if it consistently sold for $1500, you would see a drop. I am sure beckett would need more evidence before they make a change. It must be a good time to pick one up if they are selling for $400 less than beckett value, but still insanely overpriced IMO.

Reese >>

Reese, I have watched this Chamberlain for quite some time now, and I think it only sold for $1900 one time as well. I think beckett does whatever it is they want, they never do drop down prices on cards like this, they wait for the next $2200 sale to put 2200. I would think $1,000 is to much for this card but people can't seem to let it sell for that much these days, its like they have to keep it at that price LOL, they can't bid on the next one, and let me get one for cheapimage

By the way, whats IMO? LOLLLL
  • Options
    IMO is "In My Opinion"

To me, there are too many Chamberlain signatures floating around for that to be a $1500-$1900 card. Wilt was alive until 1999. He was a good signer, and the number of signatures out there reflects that. I just don't see how buying one of these now would be a good investment. If UD gets a hold of 100 or 200 index cards (which is easily possible), and makes "cuts" cards would that cause a huge drop for the 2 certified on card signatures?

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>IMO is "In My Opinion"

To me, there are too many Chamberlain signatures floating around for that to be a $1500-$1900 card. Wilt was alive until 1999. He was a good signer, and the number of signatures out there reflects that. I just don't see how buying one of these now would be a good investment. If UD gets a hold of 100 or 200 index cards (which is easily possible), and makes "cuts" cards would that cause a huge drop for the 2 certified on card signatures?

Reese >>

Oh LOLimage

Thats a great question! For Wilt Chamberlain, I don't think a cut signature would harm his on card certified UD autos. Even though theres probably 6000 autos out there, between the Epic, and the Inkredible, but its still Wilt on card from UD, so the cuts wouldn't do much to it.

Now if its a cut numbered to 10 or less, and it comes from an important piece of history, then it would be better than just a cut from an index card, but they can't number it to like 100+ like they do with Baseball cards. But if they make a cut numbered to like 100 from index cards, then the Epic and Inkredible would alsoways be better.

Of course the UD on card ausot would slow down for a little bit if they cuts come out, but once they realize that those are just cuts from an index card, they'll rather have the on card. Now get a Wilt Chamberlain piece of document from his college or whatever and smack that one a card, and you got a national treasure, HAHAHAHAHAHA LOLLLLimage There I go with my Jeannette againimage

John
  • Options
    Most of the cuts come from index cards or scraps of paper. It doesn't appear that they take autos from documents with historical significance. I hate to break this too you, but your Jeanette card may be from an index card, and not from a document. I know I have seen several index cards that are printed with an area for a name, and under that have a place for the university and years attended. I will try to find a picture of one for you and send you.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options

<< <i>Most of the cuts come from index cards or scraps of paper. It doesn't appear that they take autos from documents with historical significance. I hate to break this too you, but your Jeanette card may be from an index card, and not from a document. I know I have seen several index cards that are printed with an area for a name, and under that have a place for the university and years attended. I will try to find a picture of one for you and send you.

Reese >>

WOW, I never heard about that. Please send me a scan of these cards your talking about. I actualy called UD and they told me that it was taken from a document, they said that they hold the rest of the document but can't send it to me. They said its in their arcives or something.

John
  • Options
    Ok, I found one. I believe your cut came from an index card similiar to this one. You can see that word "position" and "University of" are all present, just like your card. Sorry buddy, but I am pretty sure its from and index card, and not a document. Its still a sweet card though.

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Oh those, yeah i've seen a few like this before. I thought you mean ther same exact look like my Jeannette. I already called UD and they told me it was from a college document. I was asking to have the ramaining piece but they said that they wouldn't do it because they can't take players college documents and give them out, even if the player is still dead, they said that it wouldn't be right or something like that.

Basicly I have no luck in trying to get the rest of it, but they definetly said it came from a college document. I have seen a few like the one you showed me, who made these?

John
  • Options
    Maybe Art or somebody could chime in, but I am showing you visual evidence it is not from a document regardless of what upper deck says. I don't know who printed these index cards but they were obviously used for autograph collectors. It doesn't take away anything from your card. I have seen hundreds of the cuts cards from baseball and football, and they usually don't cut up documents. They are scaps, index cards or checks 99% of the time.
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I guess thats why they only numbered it to 3! First time for Basketball so why not make it special I guess? What do you mean, no matter what UD said LOL? Theres the ones who made it.
  • Options
    Ok, just my opinion of course, but I highly doubt they took the time to look. The other Jeannette cut was clearly taken from an index card and I highly doubt that upper deck would take a signature from a document with importance purely for the autograph when there are lots of index cards out there. There track record proves they do not do that. Type in "cuts" on ebay and look for yourself. Most of the signatures are either scraps, index cards, or checks. I've shown you and example of a similair index card, where the details match your Jeannette to a "T".

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    Thanks for your concern Resse.
  • Options
    John,

Its a sweet card image I wish I had it!

Reese

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I just wanted to say thank you again to Art. Art was kind enough to send me this great Harold "Bud" Foster index card for Free!!!! Thank you again, it is awesome!

Reese

HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I just got back from the Chicago Sun Times show. I didn't pick up any basketball HOFer's, but I did see some very cool cards. The one that sticks out is the Chronology James Naismith Cuts card. It was cool to see, but the guy wanted $5000 for it!!!!!

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got back from the Chicago Sun Times show. I didn't pick up any basketball HOFer's, but I did see some very cool cards. The one that sticks out is the Chronology James Naismith Cuts card. It was cool to see, but the guy wanted $5000 for it!!!!!

Reese >>

Reese,

I saw the same card when I was there....I didn't ask how much it was... Is it worth $5k or was the guy dreaming?

BTW, I picked up a nice Bucko Kilroy auto'd card. It is very nice.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Hey Greg,

No, if my memory serves me correctly one sold for somewhere between $2300-$2500 on ebay when Chronology first came out. There was an article in Beckett that they predicted it would hit the 10,000 mark, but they were a little off. LOL. I still have yet to see one where the signature fits in the space. Most are pretty hacked up unfortunately, but I would still really like one.

I actually didn't think I would be able to make it to the show, but ran up for the day. I only bought one card, a National Treasures Bert Bell Cut for
    $275. BTW, did you get my submission in time?

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    I'm not sure I know who Bucko Kilroy is. Is he a HOF candidate? Is it a vintage card or certified?

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Greg,

No, if my memory serves me correctly one sold for somewhere between $2300-$2500 on ebay when Chronology first came out. There was an article in Beckett that they predicted it would hit the 10,000 mark, but they were a little off. LOL. I still have yet to see one where the signature fits in the space. Most are pretty hacked up unfortunately, but I would still really like one.

I actually didn't think I would be able to make it to the show, but ran up for the day. I only bought one card, a National Treasures Bert Bell Cut for
    $275. BTW, did you get my submission in time?

Reese >>

Reese,

Nice pickup on the Bert Bell - $275 is a nice price. Frank (Bucko) Kilroy is a HOF candidate...I believe as a coach...but he was also a player.

I picked up a few cards for TTM, a few supplies, Simpson and Matson auto'd Goal Lines, a 1988 Swell Fears for $12 (awesome auto) and the auto'd Bucko Kilroy which I believe was a 1954 Bowman. He just died recently - so he may be tough to find.

I did get your cards and submitted them today. I'll send you the sub # later and the shipping amount. I was at the PSA table for an hour and a half!!! I submitted over 1,000 cards (not all mine) plus I met up w/ Jay and he submitted a bunch.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Cool, I will have to add Kilroy to my forever long list of future HOFers. LOL Way to go on the Mattson, Simpson and Fears. I'm sure its going to be real tough to pick up OJ stuff with the new charges.

I was at a show a couple years ago, just walking around through all the tables. We saw a bunch of people gathering around a table, so we go check it out. I walk through a couple people, and I am face to face with the Juice! It was a weird, unreal, sort of frightening experience I will never forget. He was kicked out of the show because he wasn't invited and I heard he was signing autos across the street in a hotel room.

I forgot Monday was a holiday and the post office was closed. The post office lady said it would "probably" make it, but she wasn't sure. Thanks again for letting me get in on the group sub. Also, thanks for spending so much time at the PSA booth, we all really appreciate it! image

Reese
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333
  • Options
    OK, to get this back on the basketball track. Here's one of Maurice Stokes who would have been the greatest power forward or maybe even the best player ever had he not been injured in 1958. In 3 full seasons (202 games) he averaged just over 16 points and 17 rebounds per game while shooting an incredible 70% from the field.

Always looking for T59 Flags.
  • Options
    Great looking signature!

I just got done reading his bio. What a depressing story. Stokes drove to the basket, drew contact and fell to the floor, hit his head, and was left paralized. He died very young at 38. His stats are very impressive. The bio said he grabbed 38 rebounds in one game during his rookie campaign.

The only signature of Stokes I was able to find is a BIN of $390, but it is ugly. SMR has his auto valued at $500 for an index. Is this accurate?
    HOF RC Auto Set
    1955 Topps Football AA
    1950 Bowman Football
    1951 Bowman Football
    1952 Bowman Football

ebay user- Jolt333