Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Lets go with this because this is all we have for now.

AGE 4 coin proof set product limit - 35,000 Sold out at approximately 1/3rd of limit.

If the fractionals sell out at the same rate as the 4 coin set, the scenario would look something like this:

AGE dimes single product limit - 30,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 10,000 plus (approx 10 - 15,000 4 coin sets) = 20 - 25,000 total
    AGE quarters single product limit - 16,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,334 plus " " " " " " = 15,334 - 20,334 total
    AGE halves single product limit - 15,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,000 plus " " " " " " = 15,000 - 20,000 total

The numbers are good enough for me.

Any ideas? >>

INCLUDING 4 coin sets. Falling into place as kings ! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!! >>

I haven't followed the AGE Proofs. Is the collector base large enough to command a nice premium on these with the mintages stated, even if they are the AGE kings?

Also, does anyone know the mintage numbers for the next lowest (relative to the 08s) AGE Proofs? (At work, can't look it up). Thanks.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW!!! Raw, opened 2008 plat proof set just sold for $5499 on Ebay. Okay, admittedly, the seller threw in ten very good Morgans for free. >>

When I chicked on "purchases" it only said "declined". Did this really sell? >>

When this auction shows up in search results, the price is in green and the Sold icon appears. Maybe an Ebay bug and it didn't really sell?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW!!! Raw, opened 2008 plat proof set just sold for $5499 on Ebay. Okay, admittedly, the seller threw in ten very good Morgans for free. >>

The offer by 6***3 was declined. It was sold to a***l because he used the BIN option (paying full price)
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looking at 2008 plat on E-bay all up in price on the 1 /10 oz that where selling for $165 to $185 are now selling for $200+ did I miss something. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The offer by 6***3 was declined. It was sold to a***l because he used the BIN option (paying full price) >>

Apparently a***l is Cameron a.k.a "Sampleslab" on eBay... Given that he was selling these sets for $2150 and under just within the past month, and then claiming that the packages were "lost in the mail", this is quite baffling.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>Just looking at 2008 plat on E-bay all up in price on the 1 /10 oz that where selling for $165 to $185 are now selling for $200+ did I miss something.<<

Yes.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>Just looking at 2008 plat on E-bay all up in price on the 1 /10 oz that where selling for $165 to $185 are now selling for $200+ did I miss something.<<

Yes. >>

What?

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << >>Just looking at 2008 plat on E-bay all up in price on the 1 /10 oz that where selling for $165 to $185 are now selling for $200+ did I miss something.<<

Yes. >>

What?

Several 2008-W burnished 1/10 oz. plats have been sold during the past few weeks as BINs under $200. I think these sales eventually exhausted the supply at this price, resulting in a higher price for the remaining coins being offered.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    << >>Just looking at 2008 plat on E-bay all up in price on the 1 /10 oz that where selling for $165 to $185 are now selling for $200+ did I miss something.<<

Yes. >>

What?

the chance to BIN at $175
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

AGE 4 coin proof set product limit - 35,000 Sold out at approximately 1/3rd of limit.

If the fractionals sell out at the same rate as the 4 coin set, the scenario would look something like this:

AGE dimes single product limit - 30,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 10,000 plus (approx 10 - 15,000 4 coin sets) = 20 - 25,000 total
    AGE quarters single product limit - 16,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,334 plus " " " " " " = 15,334 - 20,334 total
    AGE halves single product limit - 15,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,000 plus " " " " " " = 15,000 - 20,000 total

Any ideas? >>

INCLUDING 4 coin sets. Falling into place as kings ! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!! >>

I haven't followed the AGE Proofs. Is the collector base large enough to command a nice premium on these with the mintages stated, even if they are the AGE kings?

Also, does anyone know the mintage numbers for the next lowest (relative to the 08s) AGE Proofs? (At work, can't look it up). Thanks. >>

I must be missing something regarding comments suggesting that the 2008 AGE Proofs are destined to be the new keys.

I checked the 2009 Red Book and noted the following dates/mintages for AGE Proofs:

$5: 1998 W 20,000
    2004 W 15,636
    2005 W 17,546

$10: 2004 W 9344
    2005 W 7992

$25: 2004 W 7835
    2005 W 7054

$50: 2004 W 8720
    2005 W 9784

There are no mintage AGE Proof mintage figures listed for dates later than 2005.

From this data it would seen that the 2008 W AGE Proofs are far from keys. What am I missing here?
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Are the 4-coin set stats added in to the totals?
  • Options
    I checked the 2009 Red Book

Unfortunately a big, but innocent mistake!

That Book is a horrible reference source for those numbers, especially related to our beloved Bullion.

For example if you look at the numbers for the American Eagle Gold Proofs, it is NOT obvious that these numbers do NOT include the Coins found in the 4-coin AE Gold Proof Sets for any given year.

This was kindly pointed out to me when I was looking for the Key Coins of the American Eagle Gold Proofs.

Oh, the Key Coins for the American Eagle Gold Proofs??

2008 !image
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭
    How 'bout those Burnished SAE's. Noones talking about them. I see serious potential here......anyone else still buying???? Bet they're gone within a week. image
  • Options

<< <i> I checked the 2009 Red Book

Unfortunately a big, but innocent mistake!

That Book is a horrible reference source for those numbers, especially related to our beloved Bullion.

For example if you look at the numbers for the American Eagle Gold Proofs, it is NOT obvious that these numbers do NOT include the Coins found in the 4-coin AE Gold Proof Sets for any given year.

This was kindly pointed out to me when I was looking for the Key Coins of the American Eagle Gold Proofs.

Oh, the Key Coins for the American Eagle Gold Proofs??

2008 !image >>

Thanks for the info Coinboy. I assumed (yes, I know where that gets you) that this was the total mintage numbers, as I did not see any separate set numbers. Do you (or does anyone) know the total mintages for the coins above? I.e., are ALL of the 2008 AGE Proofs keys? What is a good source for the mintage numbers of past year ASE, APE and AGE proof/burnished coins?

Also, is the collector base for the AGE Proof keys large enough that these coins should command a good premium long term at 20K + mintages?

Finally, as to the Burnished ASEs, it's amazing that the numbers aren't higher given the number that were purchased in the hunt for the '08 w/rev. of '07.

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146

I wouldn't read too much into the result of this auction. The person that bought it and the reason why is discussed towards the end of the following thread.

Platinum Set
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK -- so what is the most definitive source for annual coin mintages?

I had no idea the Redbook was so inaccurate and proof set coins were not included in the annual tallies -- ??????
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>OK -- so what is the most definitive source for annual coin mintages?

I had no idea the Redbook was so inaccurate and proof set coins were not included in the annual tallies -- ?????? >>

Indeed, what is a good source??
  • Options
    OK -- so what is the most definitive source for annual coin mintages?

The US Mint , of course!

But they won't tell you!

Not unless you file a Freedom of Information Act Request.

The Arrogance of Government: we had better get use to it, because it will only get much worse!

If you are good at Math you Could figure it out here with long division if you have the issue prices handy ;>!
  • Options
    i got email from moderncoinmart the other day about his new website, check it out!! it's all free! and it's all here. www.moderncoininfo.com
    thanks john and keep up the good work!!
  • Options
    GREAT website!! Thanks!!!

Moderncoininfo lists the same, sub '08 AGE Proof numbers that I listed in my post. So, Moderncoininfo's numbers also don't include the 4 coin sets?

Half my income in taxes and The Mint can't put numbers out in a timely, accurate easy to access fashion. Ugh!
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i got email from moderncoinmart the other day about his new website, check it out!! it's all free! and it's all here. www.moderncoininfo.com
    thanks john and keep up the good work!! >>

Wow! John M, great contribution! Lots of great info there. One thing that struck me as odd is the Numismedia pricing is for uncertified coins, yet is available for every grade.
  • Options
    Interesting that the AGE Proof 1/10s are still for sale, not backordered. Anyone buying?
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting that the AGE Proof 1/10s are still for sale, not backordered. Anyone buying? >>

They are just too darned small!!!
  • Options
    With the 1/10th unc AGEs at less than half the mintage -- it's hard to pay more for the proofs.

I saw on another thread the 08-W ASE is down to about 2,000 left at the Mint. It may undersell the 06-W...
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting that the AGE Proof 1/10s are still for sale, not backordered. Anyone buying? >>

They are just too darned small!!! >>

Couldn't agree more. I'm talkin bout FLIPPIN em. The 1/10s ususally bring the best profits due to affordability.
  • Options
    I notice the 1/10 proof APE and the 4-coin proof APE set have still not been added to the No Longer Available list. All other platinum proof products have been added. Anyone else worried about this, or am I just being paranoid?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

They are just too darned small!!! >>

Couldn't agree more. I'm talkin bout FLIPPIN em. The 1/10s ususally bring the best profits due to affordability. >>

My observation over the past couple of years is exactly that. The dimes usually double immediately after sell out.
  • Options
    Both the Proof and UNC AGEs are going to be huge winners this year!
  • Options
    http://www.moderncoininfo.com is using Red Book Mintage Numbers for the Proof Gold Eagles and NO Sets are included.
  • Options
    Coinboy -- sounds like there is a bit of an information vacuum out there on mintages, and based on your recent response on this question, I can only surmise that you seem you have a handle on this.

There must be a source other than the mint to approximate these -- any hints? (oh great one...)
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Odd that all my AGE proofs and AGE uncirculateds and my prosperity set went from in stock and reserved to back order status just today. I ordered on 12/19
  • Options

<< <i>I notice the 1/10 proof APE and the 4-coin proof APE set have still not been added to the No Longer Available list. All other platinum proof products have been added. Anyone else worried about this, or am I just being paranoid? >>

Hey there Coasterfan....don't worry about it...people ignore me on here as well. You are not the only one watching that...you can never count on the Mint to do anything right...and what seems too much like right...the Mint will do the opposite.
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options

Any ideas? >>

Akbeez:

I posted the above on December 19th - after sharing my number crunching info with Eric by phone. Take a look at what Eric posted following our phone con.
    Pages 172/173 of this thread.

And yes, Coinboy picked up on that right away. He is believable despite being tagged "Groinboy."
  • Options
    Thanks Younique - I'd also like to know what some of the historical mintages are as well -- if the Redbook is funked up with it's numbers.

Devastated! Yeoman has let me down...
  • Options
    Akbeez: After a little research, this is what I've come up with:

The latest figures on w proof AGE's as of 12/23/08 - you must add the 4 coin set number to the singles for total single sales figures-

2006----------4 coin sets- 26,876
    2007----------4 coin sets- 35,799
    2008----------4 coin sets- 9,569

2006----------1 ounce- 11,871
    2007----------1 ounce- 17,819
    2008----------1 ounce- 16,327

2006----------1/2 ounce- 9,221
    2007----------1/2 ounce- 9,599
    2008----------1/2 ounce- 5,808

2006----------1/4 ounce- 10,888
    2007----------1/4 ounce- 12,881
    2008----------1/4 ounce- 5,314

2006----------1/10 ounce- 22,140
    2007----------1/10 ounce- 25,942
    2008----------1/10 ounce- 10,695

Those of you with better info please feel free to chime in. Everyone's opinion welcome.

• Options

I just snagged 10 of 'em.

Looks like they could be a winner. Wish I hadn't sunk so much in the plat UNC's. It would have freed up more cash for the Buffs and these. I am beginning to suspect the Plat UNC"s will be a looooooooooooooong term hold before they appreciate significantly.

I picked up some of all of these but i'm really thinking I should have gone all in for the Buff sets.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options

Thanks younique!
  • Options
    I just ordered 10 1/10th ounce AGE proofs and it came up order suspended,wtf does that mean.Never had that happen before.
  • Options
    Can't say. Just ordered dimes after your post & came up in stock & reserved.
  • Options
    It also says 10 units back ordered expecting shipping 1/18.
  • Options
    OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    I don't think you hit the final submit button
  • Options
    That has happened to me sometimes. It will go to on hold or in progress soon after.
  • Options
    I ordered 10 of the 1/10 proof AGE last night around 12:18 EST and another 10 this morning. Both orders are coming up with a 1-19 backorder date.

they are toast.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options

<< <i>Akbeez: After a little research, this is what I've come up with:

The latest figures on w proof AGE's as of 12/23/08 - you must add the 4 coin set number to the singles for total single sales figures-

2006----------4 coin sets- 26,876
    2007----------4 coin sets- 35,799
    2008----------4 coin sets- 9,569

2007----------1 ounce- 17,819
    2008----------1 ounce- 16,327

2006----------1/2 ounce- 9,221
    2007----------1/2 ounce- 9,599
    2008----------1/2 ounce- 5,808

2006----------1/4 ounce- 10,888
    2007----------1/4 ounce- 12,881
    2008----------1/4 ounce- 5,314

2006----------1/10 ounce- 22,140
    2007----------1/10 ounce- 25,942
    2008----------1/10 ounce- 10,695

Those of you with better info please feel free to chime in. Everyone's opinion welcome. >>

Thanks younique-

Were you able to find data for 2004 and 2005? They seem to be low mintage years? Thanks!!
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    What is up with the US Mint AGE ordering process?

I ordered five quarter oz uncirculated eagles on 20 December. At the time, they indicated in stock and reserved.

I just checked my order status and they are now showing backordered, expected to ship on 19 January.

The product page shows everything is available. What the heck is going on?
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is up with the US Mint AGE ordering process?

I ordered five quarter oz uncirculated eagles on 20 December. At the time, they indicated in stock and reserved.

I just checked my order status and they are now showing backordered, expected to ship on 19 January.

The product page shows everything is available. What the heck is going on? >>

It seems that the people who sell the coins are not the same people who know how many coins are actually available. And apparently sales

often exceed available coins. But since most mint offerings have almost infinite availability, it is almost never a problem. That is

how it looks to me anyway.
  • Options
    << Akbeez: After a little research, this is what I've come up with:

I believe the single coin mintage for the 2006 one ounce proof gold is too low as ten thousand of these coins were also sold in the 10th Anniversary set. Therefore the mintage number is more like 21,871 + set sales.

"There's no free lunch" MF
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is up with the US Mint AGE ordering process?

The product page shows everything is available. What the heck is going on? >>

The Mint website is inaccurate, screwed up, full of pooh. It is showing backordered for most orders. Obviously noone is home or at the wheel since the Holidays started two weeks ago.
  • Options
    Just got this email from the Mint, order placed on Dec 26, and confirmed "in stock" at the time:

Greetings from the United States Mint.
    We regret to inform you that the item(s) listed below
    are currently on backorder. Please expect your item(s)
    to arrive within the timeframe listed below.
    Track your order at http://catalog.usmint.gov
    Thanks again for shopping with the United States Mint.

Order #: XXXXXXXX - 1
    Sold To : XXXXXXXX
    Ship To : XXXXXXXX
    Item: Z8D Qty: 1 Exp Ship: 1/10/09
    2008 AE GLD UNC MM 1/10 OZ

This is a system generated e-mail. Please do not reply.
    If you have questions, please visit the Help page at .
    http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT.

Sign of a "delayed" backorder situation? Lots of goofiness with orders lately, I suspect there will be a lot of unexpected cancellations.
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Me too - I just rec'd e-mail from the mint stating the delivery date for some AGEs which I ordered.
    Things are getting sorted out it seems!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file