Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eric, Don't forget to include the Capital Visitor Center Gold proof. You can squeeze it in between #s 127 & 128 or just give it a .5 or something.image >>

No proofs on the list.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Eric, Don't forget to include the Capital Visitor Center Gold proof. You can squeeze it in between #s 127 & 128 or just give it a .5 or something.image >>

No proofs on the list. >>

imageimageimage nevermind
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    Great Info! Thanks!

I do have several of the lo-mintage modern commems in possession.
    Nice to know.
  • Options
    I am surprised that 7/8 is not preaching the gospel. It does seem that at least he is now conceding that he could be wrong as he is not longer claiming the uncirculated will be the kings over 2006. Not hating, I hope the numbers come down as most my sets where uncirculated. But I do not see it coming down to his levels, I think there was something that they the guys in the know failed to account for... Time will tell...
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    RobertS

You must have misinterpreted my post,

in no way am I conceding that the 08-w's will be kings of the unc-w plats,

IMO, the numbers will be sub 06w on all denominations.

The sales reports are not trustworthy at all, in fact they have received absolutely no attention over the holidays.

Next stop, mid January, where we should have true "coins struck/minted" figures, not sales orders.
  • Options
    Hey, ol' Buddy!

You must be puking tonight, hunh?
  • Options
    why is that coinboy?

the USM has still not released their true mintage numbers scheduled for mid January, and has not deducted any cancellations from the sales reports.

i expect the mintage numbers to tell the real story.
  • Options
    does it really matter what the mintage is?

i see plenty of 06 unc and proof for sale with no suckers buying.

that tells me that there is no demand. nice coins ,nice idea with the changing reverse. but i don't think you'll get rich off them.

although in a 1000 years i could be wrong image
  • Options
    coins of the moment are en vogue,

not previous years, so goes the market.

wait till 2009 HR's are released,

better take some $$ off the table, things might get illiquid for awhile.....even your avatar, silvergoldnut.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Eric, awesome list. Will the AGE 1999-W "error" coins be on your list? >>

type coins not date and mint mark rare,,,,thats on another table
  • Options

<< <i>I need to correct the 1907 High Relief Saints number from Erics excellent list ...
    the mintage was not 4500 pieces, but rather 11,250 pieces struck ... >>

Not mintage....net SURVIVORS IN MINT STATE
  • Options

THEY GO ON THE PROOF TYPE LISTING SINCE 1850.
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    How about the 08W Buffalo $50-somewhere around #60 ? Also for your info pool-I called the mint on christmas eve to return a Prosperity set(the buffalo had 3 deep scratches/marks on the obverse rim at about 7 oclock).The operator told me that they always hold back a percentage of coins for exchange(I guess this is why my unc $50 order placed 12-05 at 12:27 am still shows a backorder rather than a cancel).The interesting part was that ,being somewhat paranoid that I would return my damaged coin and have their exchange pool run out,I asked how many sets were still in stock.She could only check if I placed an order - so at about 11am christmas eve there were still 4000 sets available( I canceled the order-looks like plenty for an exchange!!!).So it looks like the $25 unc numbers will be pretty high.
  • Options

<< <i>How about the 08W Buffalo $50-somewhere around #60 ? Also for your info pool-I called the mint on christmas eve to return a Prosperity set(the buffalo had 3 deep scratches/marks on the obverse rim at about 7 oclock).The operator told me that they always hold back a percentage of coins for exchange(I guess this is why my unc $50 order placed 12-05 at 12:27 am still shows a backorder rather than a cancel).The interesting part was that ,being somewhat paranoid that I would return my damaged coin and have their exchange pool run out,I asked how many sets were still in stock.She could only check if I placed an order - so at about 11am christmas eve there were still 4000 sets available( I canceled the order-looks like plenty for an exchange!!!).So it looks like the $25 unc numbers will be pretty high. >>

The $50 W buffalo has the 2006, 207 and 2008 mint state issues to go with it so there are about 650,000 of that type out there and growing at about 150,000 per year.

Interesting comment about the prosperity set. It would not be shocking to hear they made 8-10 thousand sets. The problem with this is the halves come in 4 coin sets, single issue and prosperity and the combined totals are going to be fairly high for the price range.......for a modern.

Ericj96
  • Options
    drfishdrfish Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought only the 08 has a W mint mark...wouldn't that qualify as a type coin(like arrows and/or rays)?..........Do you have numbers for prosperity sets sold to date?
  • Options
    Type coins are defined as collecting by design, denomination and composition. Design trivial marks like dates, mint marks, stars, die var. etc are all lumped together in the totals. The $50 unc W buffalo does not have type rarity, it has relative rarity in its $50 gold buff set. It is the lowest mintage one oz gold coin by date and mint mark since 1933.

4866 was this weeks 888 set sales number.

If you hold your $50 "w" inc buffalo gold through the economic mess we are in you will come out the other side very proud to own it.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Design trivial marks like dates, mint marks, stars, die var. etc are all lumped together in the totals.

Eric, I was thinking - why wouldn't Unc and Proof be lumped together for the 2006-2008 "W" Plats? It seems to me that a different finish is not too significant as a distinction when considering a coin "type". The designs for the "W" Uncs and the Proofs are the same, and that's how I would tend to see a "type" coin.

Added - never mind. I just reviewed your list.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    This is just speculation on my part.

In reading Ericj's post and the prior post stating about 4,000 8-8-8 prosperity sets were left in stock, I am wondering if the US Mint made 8,888 sets which would continue the sequence of 8's.
  • Options
    Next stop, mid January, where we should have true "coins struck/minted" figures, not sales orders.

the USM has still not released their true mintage numbers scheduled for mid January, and has not deducted any cancellations from the sales reports.

i expect the mintage numbers to tell the real story.

Did I miss something? How do we know that January is the witching hour for getting good numbers out of the Mint?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I expect we will see accurate numbers in mid Jan. because 7/8 and hopefully many others will be calling their congressional reps demanding accurate numbers.

I know I will be and have done so in the past with good success.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think these (IMO) will be collected by type and that future collectors may not distinguish the way we like to between unc. and proof "W"s of the '06-'08 series as these are types.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    I think these (IMO) will be collected by type and that future collectors may not distinguish the way we like to between unc. and proof "W"s of the '06-'08 series as these are types.

For the Plats, I know that I consider the Uncs as being distinct from the Proofs, even though they are the same "type".

For the AGEs, I think that the question is a bit more intriguing. The 2006-2008 Burnished "W" Uncs are certainly distinct from the Proofs, and in addition, they also do not have a different reverse every year. Thus, I would tend to lump them into the general category along with the Regular Uncs (no mintmark).

That being the case, the 2008-W Uncs (and indeed, the 2006-Ws and 2007-Ws as well) do look like longterm winners in the AGE Series. Your thoughts?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    i already faxed my congresswoman, yesterday after they closed. i figure they won't do anything today, so it will be 2009 before they see my request or get their letter out.

C
  • Options

<< <i>For the Plats, I know that I consider the Uncs as being distinct from the Proofs, even though they are the same "type". >>

I agree. I would view them as distinct as well. If I were trying to create a collection by type, I might not care about the different denominations though, despite the Red Book's definition. To me, if I had one denomination, I probably wouldn't care much that I didn't have the other denominations, or at least collecting the other denominations would be at a lower priority.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I expect we will see accurate numbers in mid Jan. because 7/8 and hopefully many others will be calling their congressional reps demanding accurate numbers.

I know I will be and have done so in the past with good success. >>

I find this amusing. Like Congress doesn't have more important things to do than settle an augment on a coin forum. What does it matter? You can't buy the coins from the mint anymore. I suppose you can try to find bargains on the Bay if you are still in the buying mode. Then again, if you are sitting on a bunch just to flip, you're paying high interest on your credit card debt and need to unload them, I suppose the numbers may have some meaning, such as hold or sell. But, for what little they will change, I don't think there is going to be much impact on that decision.

Maybe you should demand a change in the way the mint accounts for orders, sales (shipments) and returns for every US coin option produced by the mint. Maybe they should report all these numbers on the mint's website on a daily basis. Now, that is a change I would like to see. After all, BO indicates we are in for a "Change." Let's start with the mint!

Let’s all get Congress involved to settle this augment, once and for all (until next year). image
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, since my Congressman's office is generally useless on most issues of real importance, I think finding out a few figures from the Mint is the LEAST they can do for their [taxpayer paid] salary!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I expect we will see accurate numbers in mid Jan. because 7/8 and hopefully many others will be calling their congressional reps demanding accurate numbers.

I know I will be and have done so in the past with good success. >>

I find this amusing. Like Congress doesn't have more important things to do than settle an augment on a coin forum. What does it matter? You can't buy the coins from the mint anymore. I suppose you can try to find bargains on the Bay if you are still in the buying mode. Then again, if you are sitting on a bunch just to flip, you're paying high interest on your credit card debt and need to unload them, I suppose the numbers may have some meaning, such as hold or sell. But, for what little they will change, I don't think there is going to be much impact on that decision.

Maybe you should demand a change in the way the mint accounts for orders, sales (shipments) and returns for every US coin option produced by the mint. Maybe they should report all these numbers on the mint's website on a daily basis. Now, that is a change I would like to see. After all, BO indicates we are in for a "Change." Let's start with the mint!

Let’s all get Congress involved to settle this augment, once and for all (until next year). image >>

You are confusing the working of congress with the workings of your congressional office.
    They are not the same.
    You are not asking anyone to introduce or pass a bill.
    You are simply asking a staffer in your congressional office to help you with a small matter.
    This is what they do 90% of their time.
  • Options
    My main point is what's the point.

Why have a bunch of staffers (if everyone contacted their Congressman as suggested) bothering the Mint, talking to various Mint personal, trying to get some numbers that really don't have any impact on anything other than settle an augment here. Just seems like a waste of a bunch of peoples time for nothing other than to boost or deflate someone ego.

Who’s to say the numbers the staffers get will be the right numbers. Are we calling for a special audit of the APE’s numbers because we can’t wait until the final reconciliation is complete? Is this request going to pull someone way from their normal duties, like reconciling the mintages of the AGE proofs only to have another staffer request that be done before anything else?

I would like to see the final numbers ASAP also but I can wait.
  • Options
    I see nothing wrong with contacting congressman, maybe the people at the mint will get their dodo together and change their practices. Write letters and call away boys and girls!!!
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

• Options

<< <i>I see nothing wrong with contacting congressman, maybe the people at the mint will get their dodo together and change their practices. Write letters and call away boys and girls!!! >>

I AGREE!!!!!!! image
    Platinum Is Best
  • Options

<< <i>I see nothing wrong with contacting congressman, maybe the people at the mint will get their dodo together and change their practices. Write letters and call away boys and girls!!! >>

And you are absolutely positively sure the number the staffer gives you will be the final number.

It will be interesting to see. Please post the numbers all you callers and letter writers get so we can compare and then see if it matches the final numbers, whenever they come out.
  • Options

<< <i>My main point is what's the point.

Why have a bunch of staffers (if everyone contacted their Congressman as suggested) bothering the Mint, talking to various Mint personal, trying to get some numbers that really don't have any impact on anything other than settle an augment here. Just seems like a waste of a bunch of peoples time for nothing other than to boost or deflate someone ego.

Who’s to say the numbers the staffers get will be the right numbers. Are we calling for a special audit of the APE’s numbers because we can’t wait until the final reconciliation is complete? Is this request going to pull someone way from their normal duties, like reconciling the mintages of the AGE proofs only to have another staffer request that be done before anything else?

I would like to see the final numbers ASAP also but I can wait. >>

Numbers released in response to a request from a congressional will be accurate.

If you go back in this thread 1-2 years you will see I posted 100% accurate numbers on 2005 proof APEs 6-12 mo. before the mint updated their web site numbers. During that time period there were sellers using inaccurate but published U.S. Mint numbers that suggested 2005 mintages were below 2004 mintages. If you buy, sell or trade coins you should do so with best knowledge at hand.

These coins are legal tender and precious metals to boot........do you really think they don't know what they have minted and sold??

As far are waiting for mint to update numbers on its web site be advised it can take the mint 1-2 years before they ever release final numbers.

Personally I believe a polite call/email to your congressional office is a very appropriate thing to do.........it will be a nice break from all those calls about missing/delayed social security and disability checks.
  • Options

<< <i>If you go back in this thread 1-2 years you will see I posted 100% accurate numbers on 2005 proof APEs 6-12 mo. before the mint updated their web site numbers. >>

I guess I can't find it. The only thread (this one does not go back that far) I can find, which was 1 to 2 years ago, is where you posted the audited figures for the 2005 APE on Jan 12, 2007 which you said you had to pull some strings to get. So, I guess the staffers will get back to you around 2010 with the audited figures?

In any case, the key word you used was "audited." That is not going to happen for some time even if the Mint has a bunch of Staffers calling them. What the Staffers will get are unaudited counts until the audit, which will be for the whole Mint, is done. Maybe you should have the Staffers start hounding the GAO to do the audit of the Mint ASAP cause we need answers!
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Proof AGE's - gettem while you can !

Quarter now backordered to 1-15. Possibly going dark at about 17,000.

Dimes next in line to go.
  • Options
    I assume you are calling 17K as the Sets + Singles.

Pretty good, considering 1/4s were authorized at 16K for singles + 35K for sets.

These numbers are Keys for the entire series of the AGE.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lets go with this because this is all we have for now.

AGE 4 coin proof set product limit - 35,000 Sold out at approximately 1/3rd of limit.

If the fractionals sell out at the same rate as the 4 coin set, the scenario would look something like this:

AGE dimes single product limit - 30,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 10,000 plus (approx 10 - 15,000 4 coin sets) = 20 - 25,000 total
    AGE quarters single product limit - 16,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,334 plus " " " " " " = 15,334 - 20,334 total
    AGE halves single product limit - 15,000 If it sells out at 1/3rd, that would be 5,000 plus " " " " " " = 15,000 - 20,000 total

The numbers are good enough for me.

Any ideas? >>

INCLUDING 4 coin sets. Falling into place as kings ! HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!
  • Options
    The bigger question is where the MS AGE are falling and when are they going to cut them off.

Anyone have the prior populations?
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    1/4 Oz AGE Proof appear to be heading to BO Status ...
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/4 Oz AGE Proof appear to be heading to BO Status ...

1/4 oz. AGE uncirculated is still available, I think there's a good chance that total mintage will be in 4 figures, not 5. IMO could be a sleeper . . .

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    2007 10th plat sets are dark.....I know the mintage is much higher then the 08 which are the main topic hear but i was wondering what the new sales figures are for these? did they sell out or just pull them?

oh yeah....Happy New Years to all!!!!
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Happy New Year to my favorite thread!

I'm torn between the 1/4 oz. AGE Proof and some more of the "W" Uncs.

On one hand, the 1/4 oz. AGE Proofs are probably short struck.

On the other hand, the "W" Uncs are probably short struck AND discontinued.

I find it odd that they discontinued the fractional Proof Plats, but not the fractional Proof AGEs.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm torn between the 1/4 oz. AGE Proof and some more of the "W" Uncs.

On one hand, the 1/4 oz. AGE Proofs are probably short struck. >>

They're on backorder!image
  • Options
    On one hand, the 1/4 oz. AGE Proofs are probably short struck. >>

Another problem solved!!

Now, I'm torn between the 1 oz. 2009 St. Gaudens "fattie" and some more of the "W" Uncs.

On one hand, the Saint will probably be a killer coin and over-produced.

On the other hand, the "W" Uncs are probably short struck AND discontinued. Should I back up the semi-trailer, or just a pickup truck?

If it's not one darned thing, it's another.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i> On one hand, the 1/4 oz. AGE Proofs are probably short struck. >>

Another problem solved!!

Now, I'm torn between the 1 oz. 2009 St. Gaudens "fattie" and some more of the "W" Uncs.

On the other hand, the "W" Uncs are probably short struck AND discontinued. Should I back up the semi-trailer, or just a pickup truck?

If it's not one darned thing, it's another.image >>

I already backed up the truck on these! I also am wondering if they will be the real sleepers of 2008!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> On one hand, the 1/4 oz. AGE Proofs are probably short struck. >>

Another problem solved!!

If it's not one darned thing, it's another.image >>

I already backed up the truck on these! I also am wondering if they will be the real sleepers of 2008! >>

Buffs will reign supreme...no doubt!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Buffs will reign supreme...no doubt!!!! >>

• Options
    WOW!!! Raw, opened 2008 plat proof set just sold for $5499 on Ebay. Okay, admittedly, the seller threw in ten very good Morgans for free.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW!!! Raw, opened 2008 plat proof set just sold for $5499 on Ebay. Okay, admittedly, the seller threw in ten very good Morgans for free. >>

When I chicked on "purchases" it only said "declined". Did this really sell?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file