Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Still better odds than the market. "Black Friday" today !
  • The platinum coins are a great investment. I can't wait to see the Dow hit 5,000 points. At some point, the dow and an ounce of gold will meet. I'm in for 6 Uncirculated 4 coin sets. I wish I could buy more.
    GUINZO1975
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Platinum down again:

Platinum 768.00 -45.00

The lower platinum goes the more expense I think the platinum coins become over spot that are left for sale. So sales should be dropping. Looks like it will take months to clear out the remaining platinum proof if this keeps up.

Once the rain clouds go away next year after May the coins we have though should be worth more than we paid by a multiple or two or three [fingers crossed].

Also last night I was going over the China platinum panda coins and the prices they fetch, and most have mintages higher than than these UNC and even proof coins and sell for high amounts [$1000 or more for a 1/20 ounce coin]. If they stop making the 1/10 ounce here maybe those coins are an indication of future potential here. I notice looking online that there is little supply of the eagle platinum coins so higher demand with little supply could mean higher prices.

PS Too bad all our coins don't have Pandas on the back, they would be triple the prices. I like the eagles but Pandas seem to have more demand perhaps. Also check out the China zodiac series, maybe the mint should have done a zodiac series for the next platinum coins. I bet sales would be way higher than the holding hands coins.
  • Well it comes to a point where one has to say...enough is enough and not purchase any of the gold or platinum mint products...they are price gouging....simply put. If sales slow down enough, then they will be forced to drop the price or take them off the market for good this year. Time will tell...30 day return is not going to be long enough to find out how many sets there are when the spot price of platinum is currently down to $769. image
    Platinum Is Best
  • Florida Bill is running around saying BUY BUY BUY! Well when your into the game for 475 plus coins I would want everyone to buy as well so the mint sells out...I would hate to be holding a big bag of crap over 30 days and can not return them to the mint!!! image
    Platinum Is Best
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I would disagree regarding price gouging by the Mint. They priced to market, but the market has moved down quite a bit in the past two weeks. The same is true for gold. The Mint is like an aircraft carrier in that turning direction takes quite a while, unlike a destroyer that can turn on a dime.

The main question is, how much numismatic content is there at the current price point, AND will it go up again in the foreseeable future.

Monolithic organizations have great difficultly reacting to sudden changes in the market. The slow movement of precious metal prices prior to the volatility experienced this year masked the ability of the Mint to react to change.

Given the 30 day return policy, how would YOU price these products if you were in charge? Especially in a volatile precious metals market.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Well it comes to a point where one has to say...enough is enough and not purchase any of the gold or platinum mint products...they are price gouging....simply put. If sales slow down enough, then they will be forced to drop the price or take them off the market for good this year.

I don't agree.

I think the current issue price is well past the point where bullion value and numismatic value part ways.

Not a perfect analogy by any means, but you might as well look at a 1996 w dime and say it has a melt value of under 10 cents, so why should it be worth $20 (or more depending on condition). Why does a 1997 FS nickel sell for $90?

Anyone who thinks that 2008s price will be anchored to melt value either doesn't understand, doesn't accept, or no longer believes that low mintages are the way to go.

The only reason that could keep 2008s from being profitable is if supply is greater than demand. Granted, we're only dealing with rough projections of mintages at this point... but if the actual numbers come in at what the most informed experts among us seem to think, they will be the lowest mintages to date.

Demand could certainly be lower still... with the 2006 ws, there was clearly demand sufficient to absorb the existing supply. 2007 numbers came in higher still, when issue prices from the Mint were more than they are now. Then again, that was before the market tanked, and in an environment where platinum was rising, not falling, and people had seen the 2006 coins become very profitable. Now we're in a different market, and I'll be the first to admit it.

I don't expect that 4 coin sets will reach 2006 set prices; I don't think we'll see sets sell for $6000 a pop or $10 coins reach $1,000. But anyone holding back because spot drops $100, with the expectation that the Mint will reprice and there will still be coins left to buy, or because they think the secondary market price will be tied to spot, has simply given up hope on numismatic value. It's your right to do so, and given the financial market it may even be understandable. But I still think it's a mistake.

If you honestly believe that the market is so bad that a coin with a 3,000 mintage with a melt value of $70 won't have sufficient demand to justify a premium over its $135 issue price, then you should probably sell everything for whatever you can get and jump in the bunker, because I would take that as a sign the entire hobby is in big trouble. Personally, I don't think that's the case. But for all of us, that's a personal decision, it's your money, and you are free to spend or not spend it however you like.
    Dan
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Just back from a trip and catching up on this thread when, lo and behold, FedEx pulls up with my fractional plat unc and proof order. I opened them with some trepidation as the 1/2-ouncers I ordered earlier in the summer were both chewed up. Like Neo, though, the order looks terrific! That proof quarter looks especially sweet. And this just leads me back to thinking that even with their higher mintages, the proofs will be the series that holds up in the long run. But agree with most here that '08 will be THE year on these...at least until '09! Of course if they persist with the PC designs next year, the whole series might crash for good. Exciting times in the plat world!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭
    That was well put. Your right with platinum falling the only thing that changes is that we are going to have to wait longer to know for certain if we made a great deal instead of a good deal.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That was well put. Your right with platinum falling the only thing that changes is that we are going to have to wait longer to know for certain if we made a great deal instead of a good deal. >>

Like everything else, it is a buy and hold market.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    The FedEx man just knocked on my door and dropped off my quarter as well. After procrastinating and finally ordering Tuesday( because of this threads warning) I am just delighted with this beauty. No marks or tics and the design is captivating under the magnifier. Hopefully I can get a proof quarter next month and compare them but I am blown away by this specimen. Even showed it to the wife who was impressed as wellimage Great work fellas and thanks for kick in the seat warning to ORDER NOWimageimageimage
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Not all of a coins value is tied up in the precious metal of the coin, at least not collector coins, which is what the proof and the W unc coins are.....

The bullion coins yes, pretty much get there value from bullion, but that is why those are made available like they are.....

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Well too bad you can't get physical bullion for what paper bullion is selling for. Your going to be hard pressed finding any Proof or UNC W for what the mint is selling the 2008 W UNC for IMO. In fact normal bullion coins are still bringing above that.
  • I thought you all might be interested to know that on the bullion totals report the US Mint sold a total of 11,000 1oz Platinum peices in Sept. 08. This was not there a week or so ago. Thats a whopping bunch and why was it not reported in Sept. when the sale suppose to have taken place? Chas.
    Charles Crews ** CU Members that I have had Buy/sell deals with alohagary,dabigkahuna,goldman86,fivecents,endzone,clackamas,ericj96,Bochiman,Wingsrule,adriana,claychaser,holeinone1972,itsnotjustme,MJcoin,Kishul,jsego,TWQG,carlwolfort,jmski52,steelielee,grote15
  • Good to see you Charles,

Will give you a call tonight to talk coins.

Eric Jordan
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I thought was my tenth oz ended up being a half oz. The Mint's website shows a tenth oz being sent. The invoice charged the half oz price. Which was the same price I paid for my quarter oz in the summer.

Ren
  • I received my $25 UNC today and it is nice overall, but it does have a small luster break on the front and on the back. If it was earlier in the year I would send it back, but at this point I don't think I could get another one.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    smart move.

those sending coins back for exchanges in a sold out scenario will be disappointed not to get an exchange....and send a coin back that could be sold for a profit
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    At this point which is the better buy, the 4 coin unc or proof sets? I already have all the singles I need and am mulling over purchasing the sets.
    USAF vet 1951-59

<< <i>At this point which is the better buy, the 4 coin unc or proof sets? I already have all the singles I need and am mulling over purchasing the sets. >>

I am sure the unc-ws will have lower mintage, but I can't help thinking the proofs will be a better long-term hold. They just look a lot nicer and, I think, will keep more of a collector base.
  • Just received 2 1/4 oz Unc, both very nice, and 2 1/4 oz Proofs, one nice and one going back. Pleasantly surprised with 3 out of 4 nice platinum eagles!

I know this thread has been focused on platinum lately, but I really respect the opnions of the posters here, what are your thoughts on the 2008 Jackson spouse Uncirculated. The latest mintage I saw was 2,584, if the numbers stay low what do you think of the coin as a buy and hold for down the road prices. I am collecting the subset in proofs but I though a few extra in Unc. might be a money maker in the future. Thoughts please.

<< <i>Just received 2 1/4 oz Unc, both very nice, and 2 1/4 oz Proofs, one nice and one going back. Pleasantly surprised with 3 out of 4 nice platinum eagles!

I know this thread has been focused on platinum lately, but I really respect the opnions of the posters here, what are your thoughts on the 2008 Jackson spouse Uncirculated. The latest mintage I saw was 2,584, if the numbers stay low what do you think of the coin as a buy and hold for down the road prices. I am collecting the subset in proofs but I though a few extra in Unc. might be a money maker in the future. Thoughts please. >>

Problem with the Jacksons is they will stay on sale a long time and the premium over melt is too high.
    USAF vet 1951-59

<< <i>Just received 2 1/4 oz Unc, both very nice, and 2 1/4 oz Proofs, one nice and one going back. Pleasantly surprised with 3 out of 4 nice platinum eagles!

I know this thread has been focused on platinum lately, but I really respect the opnions of the posters here, what are your thoughts on the 2008 Jackson spouse Uncirculated. The latest mintage I saw was 2,584, if the numbers stay low what do you think of the coin as a buy and hold for down the road prices. I am collecting the subset in proofs but I though a few extra in Unc. might be a money maker in the future. Thoughts please. >>

I think we're in a segment of the First Spouses that is going to produce some real rarities. That said, the "Liberty" issues are going to end up with higher mintages than some of the normal ones. If I had the dough, I'd buy one of each unc during this time, but my guess is that the Liberties are not going to end up doing much. I would expect Jackson's Liberty to at least double in sales before it's over. What's intriguing about this whole series, however, is that no one can predict who the winners will be. Will it only be the most popular First Ladies? Will it only be the Liberties? Or will it just be the lowest mintage issues, regardless of the subject? It'll be fun to watch--even if we have to watch for a LONG TIME!

• << <i>Just received 2 1/4 oz Unc, both very nice, and 2 1/4 oz Proofs, one nice and one going back. Pleasantly surprised with 3 out of 4 nice platinum eagles!

In order to get some traction the First Spouce gold needs to see mintages sub 6000. So watch the sales right before the old coin goes off sale and the new coins come on to take its place. If the sales are low jump on. If not you way wish to stay off. What drives the set will be lots off common dates and a few tight keys.
  • Hi Eric:

Any new insights or status on the 2008-W Platinum Uncirculated $100.00 one ouncers,
    as much of the discussion has instead been focused on the fractional pieces?

Thank you!
    It looks like all the steam is out of the spouse coins, Elizabeth Monroe only sold 100 UNC coins over the last three months.
  • The old liberty designs they are using are breathtaking and I would like to think that they may be wanted in the future just on their looks alone (low pops would not hurt)
  • I have no data on the $100 denominations perior.
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been busy buying the 4 coin UNC sets this weekend! Anyone else? It's a no brainer great buy for Plat collectors and dare I say....flippers. Wait till they sell out. I bet the set will push selling for 2x issue. I also bet it is only a matter of weeks/days before everything goes dark at the Mint for the UNC's. It's 2006 all over again.......remember Nov/Dec of 2006 guys.....
    I'm with you on the 4 cn sets......
    Bought some myself today but it's really only a 30 day option. If platinum really tanks or the mintage is over what many of us believe, back they go.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Been busy buying the 4 coin UNC sets this weekend! Anyone else? It's a no brainer great buy for Plat collectors and dare I say....flippers. Wait till they sell out. I bet the set will push selling for 2x issue. I also bet it is only a matter of weeks/days before everything goes dark at the Mint for the UNC's. It's 2006 all over again.......remember Nov/Dec of 2006 guys..... >>

I bought an UNC set, Proof set and some fractionals of both last week just before the .25 oz UNCS dried up.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was not in this game in '06. How long did it take for the '06 UNCS to dry up?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    I'm hoping some of you are collectors and not just expecting the big flip. In 79/80 gold and plat were about the same on the top IIRC. Platinum is used in cars and industry so don't expect it to keep up with other PM's in a bad ecomony and with a solid but small collector base you just can't rely on the flip anymore. An lot of people are trying to make ends meet and this board certainly isnt' a good example of your average family in America.
    ttown -

as with the 06-w, if this turns out to be sub 06-w mintage levels, especially sub 2000 on the 1/4 and 1/2, AGAIN,

the big dealers will be caught off guard and desire to take some position in these to move them on the various TV networks......

the small mintages will move very quickly and be well dispersed into the collecting public.

if there is a flip in 08, this is it.
    The PCGS price guide says the 2006 W UNC one ounce is only worth $1000 in MS69?

21128 2006-W $100 885 895 905 915 925 935 1,000 3,000

• << <i>ttown -

as with the 06-w, if this turns out to be sub 06-w mintage levels, especially sub 2000 on the 1/4 and 1/2, AGAIN,

the big dealers will be caught off guard and desire to take some position in these to move them on the various TV networks......

the small mintages will move very quickly and be well dispersed into the collecting public.

if there is a flip in 08, this is it. >>

7over8,

I am all for a deal and a bargain, may I ask however. Why are you pushing this things so hard? You are not comparing apples to apples here; we where not in a recession in 06. Hopefully this things turn out well for everyone!!!
  • I did not see this mentioned on this thread, the one tenth officially dead?

LIST OF RETIRED COINS

Once they are on that list they do not return correct?

• << <i>I did not see this mentioned on this thread, the one tenth officially dead?

LIST OF RETIRED COINS

Once they are on that list they do not return correct? >>

That is correct. You can only get them in the four-coin set now.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    Well the high flying 2006 W UNC still brings money over the their more common cousins but it's really not that much anymore. So with the bad ecomony we have a bargin or a coin that may take another 30 years before it's really noticed. Really us collectors mainly collect the proof version of this coin not to say I don't have the UNC's but if their gone tommarrow it's ok with me. The key in the proofs (2004) have held up better in all of this the 1/10 ounce and 1/4 ounce always have brought more than it's low mintage UNC cousins but the larger coins never quite made it to the high level the UNC did. JMO

I must say if you aren't going to collect these with falling PM prices why tie up your money?
    those who are in the 08-w uncs are there for rarity not for the PM game.

the play on these unc's has nothing to do with playing PM's - as one forum member put it earlier in the topic, if you are worried about the intrinsic value of these coins dropping and not the numismatic rarity, it's best that you sell and exit.

there will always be enough buyers of a sub 2000 mintage US coin, once the numbers are public, there will be a rush in to buy by those oblivious to the fact that these coins are even back on sale.

we are not talking tens of thousands of coins here, we are talking sub 2000. we are taking about fractional coins that start at 135 bucks, the next one up the chain, 320 bucks.

are you saying that at the sub $1000 secondary market sales price there aren't enough buyers to allow a 2-3x profit on a sub 2000 qtr and ~3000 tenth?

I say wake up and smell the coffee, you must be dreaming.
    I'm saying if you want rarity you just need to look at proof seated and barber material. These have mintages of 700 or less and 100+ years old. The leason is you have to have a collector base or they sit right around PM prices or sell for stupid cheap compared to their rarity. Just because you have a few thousand coins made if no one wants to collect them they aren't going anywhere for a long time. The old hags will be right in the same boat IMO. These are a lot of money just to buy and see what happens, esp. if your not a collector. I've got old RR watches a lot rarer than these coins and there's actually a collectors market for them but they don't sell for a grand or two.

This is my opinion only but I've been in the plats since 1999 and have seen the market more than those coming in at the 2006 blip. I wouldn't bet these will repeat, this is only a warning for flippers. Have you noticed all the pub and only the 1/10 ounce is gone and the 1/4 is on backorder? 2006 these flew off the self, spiked, and then came back to earth like many modern coins. Too many people are getting burned in the modern market to come back for seconds IMO. The spike was caused by speculators/inverstors not collectors so it didn't hold.
    7/8 for the life of me I can't understand why you promote these coins to flip for profit. If I were doing this I'd hope they fly under the radar. In fact if these sell out they'll have about the same mintages as the 2006's. If I were to bet though I'd say the 2008 proofs will end up being lower than the 2006 proofs and they might just fly under the radar to rivial the 2004's since everyone seems to be buying the UNC's. Oh they'll have a higher mintage but they have a decent collector base at least.
  • ttown, you might want to check the completed listings on ebay.

The 1/10 UNC w has numerous completed listings in the $300 range. thats a 2-3x flip all day long. The 1/4's have numerous sales at the $500 range. Not too bad for a coin that is still listed as available on backorder at the mint.

With a 30 day return policy, if you can get the coins shipped to you, its a flippers no-brainer.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
    Whatever product the USM has left in stock they will sell.

Why does it matter to fly under the radar? The USM isnt producing anymore, they are selling available stock.

Based on sales published by EricJ, and by NN, some of these fractionals could have the potential to be SUB 2000 mintages if the 4 coin sets are as short run as the individual coins. That in itself is exciting.

Back to the flipping part. Everyone, I mean everyone, does some flipping whether it is with classics, moderns, bullion, etc. I'm sure you can admit that finding that low mintage Seated Proof coin that has a published mintage of a few hundred, but you know that over the years less than 5 have come up for sale, that you would buy as many as possible.

If 2 were available, and if the price was right but you only needed one, chances are you would buy both. Why? To FLIP. To flip and use the funds to reduce the cost of the coin you bought, or buy others.

No one is adverse to making a profit, therefore, no one is immune to flipping of one sort or another.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any new insights or status on the 2008-W Platinum Uncirculated $100.00 one ouncers, as much of the discussion has instead been focused on the fractional pieces?

For some reason, I can't construct a chart, but anyway:

1 ozers:

1997 Unc 56,000 (corrected)
    1997 Proof 18,000

1998 Unc 133,002
    1998 Proof 14,203

1999 Unc 56,707
    1999 Proof 12,351

2000 Unc 10,003
    2000 Proof 12,453

2001 Unc 14,070
    2001 Proof 8,720

2002 Unc 11,502
    2002 Proof 9,834

2003 Unc 8,007
    2003 Proof 8,246

2004 Unc 7,009
    2004 Proof 6,007

2005 Unc 6,310
    2005 Proof 6,602

2006 Unc 6,000
    2006 Proof 9,320
    2006-W Satin 3,068

2007 Unc 7,202
    2007 Proof 9,268
    2007-W Satin 4,451

2008 Unc 12,400*
    2008 Proof 2,304*
    2008-W Satin 881*

Insight - they will sell the Proofs and Satin Uncs until they are gone. Estimated mintages for Proof & Satin = 1 "run", less than 2007 quantities, probably less than 2006 quantities. Unlikely that another run will be made, but knowing the Mint, they might go for another run of Proofs if the market is strong going into Christmas.

Note - the Mint is fresh out of "gimmicks" to boost platinum sales, and the slowing economy will create further drag on sales into 2009 and 2010. In 2006, the gimmick was the "W" Burnished Unc Series. In 2007, the gimmick was the "Anniversary Set". The 2008 coins are in no-man's land - without a gimmick, as 2009 will introduce the new politically correct "themes" and the rinky-dink privy marks.

Overall, the trend towards declining platinum sales continues. At some point, a new King is inevitable. However, the 2004 Proofs were unloved all the way into 2005 until they stopped selling them. To become the new King, a particular year will have to be off the radar for the entire year, or the economy will have to be terrible so that no one can afford to buy them. 2008 might be a lower mintage, but the sales are not yet dispersed, so the end game pricing can't be pinpointed for awhile.

If the Mint persists with the anti-white male coin, and if the economy proceeds into the toilet, 2009 might be the very lowest mintage of all.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>ttown, you might want to check the completed listings on ebay.

The 1/10 UNC w has numerous completed listings in the $300 range. thats a 2-3x flip all day long. The 1/4's have numerous sales at the $500 range. Not too bad for a coin that is still listed as available on backorder at the mint.

With a 30 day return policy, if you can get the coins shipped to you, its a flippers no-brainer. >>

Coinhog in this case it's lack of information and the hype going around these will be lower than the 2006's. You really think these will come back on the market for a long time since if one took them to a dealer they'd be lucky to get $120 for them? Even with the discount many Ebay adds are still saying these are sold out and the lowest mintage of the series. All you seeing is the uninformed HSN/CoinVault type buyers picking up gifts for Christman with the discounts IMO. The problem with the 30 day return policy is you have to watch metal prices because IMO this series doesn't appear to be selling out before that. If it were like 2006 they were snapped up in a week you'd have a point so it's going to come down to a judgement call IMO for returns since it won't be a clear cut case.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jmski - are you sure of the 1 oz. 1997 unc. mintage levels as I seem to recall them quite a bit higher??
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    ttown

What I post is only my OPINION, just like you do, just like everyone else does.

I am anxious to see where this all ends up.....

<< <i>ttown

What I post is only my OPINION, just like you do, just like everyone else does.

I am anxious to see where this all ends up..... >>

Me too, but in my case it really doesn't matter what they do. I know your passion and share it too, this is an overlooked series and always has been. Will it be in the future like the old classic proofs? That's the question and really can't be judged in this day and age since these are new. But who knows even if they fall by the wayside there could be a good profit for a time. As an investor I'd bet more on spot gold or silver if I were looking to make money right now. It's been fun 7/8 now it's just a waiting game isn't it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file