Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>7/8, are you referring to the 2007 spouses only? >>

Not just 2007, even current releases.........I saw a guy at the last show pull out raw in OGP, graded ms69/70 pr69/70 FS and offer it around (lots of pieces). There wasnt much interest at all - most didnt even want to pay current levels (spot, spot -5%) for it. They didnt want to lay out the cash.

Liquidity is the name of the game now. Most of the dealers were riding high on scrap bullion purchases. Many of them have their heads hung low now complaining that the scrap market has dropped off 40/50/60% since late last year......this was their bread and butter.

• Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    I think the current Spouse stiuation where you might see some former high fliers selling at lower prices is due to a slight panic caused by the fact that new mintage lows are being set and people are afraid of losing value on the older coins they hold. That fear is pretty much self fulfilling when they panic sell into the weak market we have now. Also, you cannot ignore that pm prices have pulled back some from the recent highs. In that light, I would say they have held better than one might expect.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Not just 2007, even current releases.........I saw a guy at the last show pull out raw in OGP, graded ms69/70 pr69/70 FS and offer it around (lots of pieces). There wasnt much interest at all - most didnt even want to pay current levels (spot, spot -5%) for it. They didnt want to lay out the cash.

Are you saying that the seller could not sell PCGS MS/PR 70FS's for spot pricing for coins 2008 and newer? I certainly would have bit.
  • Options
    I agree with Mitch that dispare normally marks a demand bottom and that some of these coins are going to be good. The problem is amoung the FS issues I cant figure out which ones are going to be worth owning. This is esp true of the generics. The next question is should we be watching the FS issues, the 2012-w $50 gold unc coming out or the mint marked silver eagle offerings this year?

Is a 2,000-2,500 mintage MS FS at a grand better than say a 2012-S proof silver eagle with a 300,000 mintage at $65?

Hard questions.

Best to you all,

Eric

PS: I collect some of the FS coins and not others much like commem collectors tend to buy only those they like for some reason. If that comes out like "ragging" then I appologize. The main point of my above post it that I dont know what to add to my long term collection right now. In order to buy something most of the time I need to like it and it needs to offer good long term value.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't avoid them. In fact, I "jump through hoops" to keep buying them for myself. It's hard to time things perfectly. Let's see who is avoiding them when the Jackie O coin comes out a few years from now.

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin >>

I will buy the Jackie O and still avoid all the others. I would rather have her at a 20K mintage then one of the no names at 4K.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is puzzling sometimes ... I would never waste my time posting about all the coins I would not buy ... and the list is huge ... I could spent days writing posts about that list! Why "rag" on other folks' collections? And, if the intention is purely from a non-collecting perspective (i.e. I am making more money on buying these coins vs. those spouse coins or whatever) then I would love to read about all the coins being purchased today for huge returns tomorrow. Please go on record here and state exactly what you are buying today and how much you think they are going to rise by this time next year. I am also not interested in what you bought last year that you never told us about on this thread in advance, but only after they has risen 100% in the past year. If it is not about enjoying a collection and purely about which coins are going to make the most money ... please don't waste your time ragging on coins you do not like and start talking about all the coins that are going to make you tons of money in the next year. I am all ears image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    It's not surprising the spouse coins would not sell at a coin show, you could take low mintage Chinese modern gold and get the same response even though those coins sell for multiples to melt.

• Options

<< <i>It is puzzling sometimes ... I would never waste my time posting about all the coins I would not buy ... and the list is huge ... I could spent days writing posts about that list! Why "rag" on other folks' collections? And, if the intention is purely from a non-collecting perspective (i.e. I am making more money on buying these coins vs. those spouse coins or whatever) then I would love to read about all the coins being purchased today for huge returns tomorrow. Please go on record here and state exactly what you are buying today and how much you think they are going to rise by this time next year. I am also not interested in what you bought last year that you never told us about on this thread in advance, but only after they has risen 100% in the past year. If it is not about enjoying a collection and purely about which coins are going to make the most money ... please don't waste your time ragging on coins you do not like and start talking about all the coins that are going to make you tons of money in the next year. I am all ears image

Wondercoin >>

I am buying star spangled banner gold unc. coins, the first spouse unc. coins and the gold eagle unc. coins. I will get them graded by PCGS with first strike. If the mintages stay low there keepers, if not they will go up for sale latter this year.
    I also beleave that anyone that wants to add gold to there portfolio and is worried about the gold price falling, can`t go wrong buying first spouse coins under 3,500 mintage. these coins will benefit if gold goes up and hold there ground much better than bullion if gold tumbles. The best insurance policy I can think of for someone getting into gold late! JMHO
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would never waste my time posting about all the coins I would not buy ... and the list is huge ... I could spent days writing posts about that list! Why "rag" on other folks' collections?

I think that this year's crop of Modern Bullion coins should do well unless the economy gets even worse - which it very well could (which means that subsequent years could be "rarer").

In general - for investment potential, I like the "W" Burnished AGEs, the low mintage Gold Spouses, the Star Spangled Banner Gold, and even now I still like the Pucks. If they start up with fractional Plats, Gold Buffs, or "W" Burnished AGEs, then I'm very interested as well.

Geez, there's not much I don't like with precious metals this high.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I also beleave that anyone that wants to add gold to there portfolio and is worried about the gold price falling, can`t go wrong buying first spouse coins under 3,500 mintage. these coins will benefit if gold goes up and hold there ground much better than bullion if gold tumbles. The best insurance policy I can think of for someone getting into gold late! JMHO >>

I have been thinking that myself and still think it is valid.
  • Options
    Bump over the edge.
  • Options

<< <i>It is puzzling sometimes ... I would never waste my time posting about all the coins I would not buy ... and the list is huge ... I could spent days writing posts about that list! Why "rag" on other folks' collections? And, if the intention is purely from a non-collecting perspective (i.e. I am making more money on buying these coins vs. those spouse coins or whatever) then I would love to read about all the coins being purchased today for huge returns tomorrow. Please go on record here and state exactly what you are buying today and how much you think they are going to rise by this time next year. I am also not interested in what you bought last year that you never told us about on this thread in advance, but only after they has risen 100% in the past year. If it is not about enjoying a collection and purely about which coins are going to make the most money ... please don't waste your time ragging on coins you do not like and start talking about all the coins that are going to make you tons of money in the next year. I am all ears image

Wondercoin >>

Whoa just because I will buy the Jackie O coin and not the others, what gives?

People will always do some of what you just mentioned above. Maybe we could be a little more delicate with our opinions.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would never waste my time posting about all the coins I would not buy ... and the list is huge ... I could spent days writing posts about that list! Why "rag" on other folks' collections?

I think that this year's crop of Modern Bullion coins should do well unless the economy gets even worse - which it very well could (which means that subsequent years could be "rarer").

In general - for investment potential, I like the "W" Burnished AGEs, the low mintage Gold Spouses, the Star Spangled Banner Gold, and even now I still like the Pucks. If they start up with fractional Plats, Gold Buffs, or "W" Burnished AGEs, then I'm very interested as well.

Geez, there's not much I don't like with precious metals this high. >>

How do others feel about SSB gold? I can't make up my mind on whether to buy these?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> ... start talking about all the coins that are going to make you tons of money in the next year. I am all ears image

Wondercoin >>

I found a circulated 1964-D dime in a Coinstar machine last week.

On a percentage basis, I expect it to outperform all the Spouses during the next year or two. image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    @wondercoin "Please go on record here and state exactly what you are buying today and how much you think they are going to rise by this time next year"

I'm buying all Platinum $25 Proof and "W" Burnished Plats under $500 I can get and some a bit higher in PR/MS70 that I can afford image

I will not bet they will rise in 1 year but I'm willing to bet within next 10 years they will double in price whether because Pt spot will double or their collector base will expand

Here are my 2 cents image
  • Options
    Cakes: My comment was not directed at you specifically. I just happened to post right beneath your posting.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

The SSB uncirc. gold seems like a good bet if there isnt a run on them this year.I'm still trying to figure out where the old hags are selling for spot or below.Most e bay listings are north of $1k for even the highest mintages.I'll just hold my cash for the SAE package that is anticipated to be announced next month.
  • Options

<< <i>The SSB uncirc. gold seems like a good bet if there isnt a run on them this year.I'm still trying to figure out where the old hags are selling for spot or below.Most e bay listings are north of $1k for even the highest mintages.I'll just hold my cash for the SAE package that is anticipated to be announced next month. >>

I agree with you having bot 2 uncs from the mint and 2 FS 70s online for a fair retail price. The 2 from the mint graded MS69 FS,and have shipped today.However,I believe the FS deadline was around April 5th. Although I don't see pops listed yet in the usual place,you may know that if you have a cert number, current available pops can be seen. So far my research shows the following for SSBs:
    MS70 - 38
    PR70 - 36
    MS69 - 46
    PR69 - 42

I believe if these pops don't increase dramatically,we have a 2012 winner here.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The SSB uncirc. gold seems like a good bet if there isnt a run on them this year.I'm still trying to figure out where the old hags are selling for spot or below.Most e bay listings are north of $1k for even the highest mintages.I'll just hold my cash for the SAE package that is anticipated to be announced next month. >>

I agree with you having bot 2 uncs from the mint and 2 FS 70s online for a fair retail price. The 2 from the mint graded MS69 FS,and have shipped today.However,I believe the FS deadline was around April 5th. Although I don't see pops listed yet in the usual place,you may know that if you have a cert number, current available pops can be seen. So far my research shows the following for SSBs:
    MS70 - 38
    PR70 - 36
    MS69 - 46
    PR69 - 42

I believe if these pops don't increase dramatically,we have a 2012 winner here. >>

I have five SSB uncirc's arriving at PCGS in a few days for FS grading. My guess is we will see a big runnup in PM prices this year and the sales will plummet. I'm playing this one as the thrilla in Manila for 2012 image Other than that I'm off to the PM forum to talk about winners image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options

<< <i>Cakes: My comment was not directed at you specifically. I just happened to post right beneath your posting.

Wondercoin >>

Gotcha gotcha, I just have a thing for Jackie O image

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do others feel about SSB gold? I can't make up my mind on whether to buy these?

At this juncture, 5 weeks out - the Uncs look promising at somewhere around 3,000 in initial sales. Since the Proofs are offered in 2 options and the Uncs are only offered individually, the normal ratio seems skewed more towards the Proofs than usual. This situation will probably be one of many that bears watching.

But with another 47 weeks to go, it's anybody's guess what the economy will do and how much competition will be presented by any unannounced new issues (i.e., fractionals) that the Mint might have up its sleeve. That being the case, I expect speculation to be somewhat subdued as we play the waiting game.

It's not a bad coin design, imo.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I wish the design on the silver coin was on the gold.
  • Options
    I think we are just passed the date to get first strike eligible SSB`s from the mint. with this first strike thing going on, you need to make that decision to buy in the first 30 day`s to get top dollar latter on! It is amazing how much the difference can be.
  • Options

<< <i>I think we are just passed the date to get first strike eligible SSB`s from the mint. with this first strike thing going on, you need to make that decision to buy in the first 30 day`s to get top dollar latter on! It is amazing how much the difference can be. >>

Slight correction. You have to get it shipped within the 30 days.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Maybe this has been discussed earlier in this megathread, but being modern bullion, is it really necessary to have them graded?
    Paul
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliza Johnson just overtook Julia Tyler by 2 coins-- Julia is still the key. (If you just go by mintages)
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe this has been discussed earlier in this megathread, but being modern bullion, is it really necessary to have them graded? >>

I guess you could say the same thing about classic bullion (proofs).
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe this has been discussed earlier in this megathread, but being modern bullion, is it really necessary to have them graded? >>

It most certainly was necessary with the 25th Anniversary Sets. Don't know if you consider Modern Commemoratives as buillion,but last month I bot a 1995 unc $5 gold Torch Runner w/mint box and COA for about $508 on the bay. Just sent it in for grading and it is now being shipped back to me as a nice new MS70 with a PCGS value of $1600. If only I could do that on a regular basis!
  • Options

<< <i>

It most certainly was necessary with the 25th Anniversary Sets. Don't know if you consider Modern Commemoratives as buillion,but last month I bot a 1995 unc $5 gold Torch Runner w/mint box and COA for about $508 on the bay. Just sent it in for grading and it is now being shipped back to me as a nice new MS70 with a PCGS value of $1600. If only I could do that on a regular basis! >>

Do you plan on selling? I am curiuos to see what you get.

• Options
    Guys there is an article on modern coins and classic coins coming out this week in Numismatic News that moderns guys will like. Traces multiple classic coin segments in contant dollars for both keys and common dates for the last 20 years against moderns. Lots of graphs and tables.

Title is "Key Modern Coins Win Profit Race".

That kind of gives the punch line away dont you think. :-)

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It most certainly was necessary with the 25th Anniversary Sets. Don't know if you consider Modern Commemoratives as buillion,but last month I bot a 1995 unc $5 gold Torch Runner w/mint box and COA for about $508 on the bay. Just sent it in for grading and it is now being shipped back to me as a nice new MS70 with a PCGS value of $1600. If only I could do that on a regular basis! >>

Do you plan on selling? I am curiuos to see what you get. >>

I wasn't planning on selling any of my commemoratives until gold and silver prices go higher,but if I were to sell it,I would ask around $1200.00. I believe that's fair as an NGC MS70 is going for that price at the big A with only one in stock.
  • Options
    Hi Eric,

Do you know how many 2011 First Spouse Gold were struck?

I wonder if all the 2011 FS proof were struck to around 4,000.

BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    Who wrote it Eric?

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Eric,

Do you know how many 2011 First Spouse Gold were struck?

I wonder if all the 2011 FS proof were struck to around 4,000. >>

I dont know Rev.

I guess I should be trying to follow the numbers better and behavior of the FS coins better. If I am able to find anything out I will let you know.

Eric
  • Options
    Mitch,

I wrote it because Harry Miller wrote an article about a week ago in NN with the head line "Modern Issues Lousy Investments". I did not think it was fair after reading it so I wrote a very heavy data based article showing that he had not done his home work. I indexed almost all the major classes of coins for the last 20 years to inflation and constant dollar gold then indexed the moderns listed directly under his article to the same. The results were very glaring.

I hope you guys like it. The data took a solid week to tabulate.

Eric
  • Options
    Great news! Can you please email me your article as I do not get NN. My email address is: mjcapc@aol.com

Thanks Eric

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Mitch,

I wrote it because Harry Miller wrote an article about a week ago in NN with the head line "Modern Issues Lousy Investments". I did not think it was fair after reading it so I wrote a very heavy data based article showing that he had not done his home work. I indexed almost all the major classes of coins for the last 20 years to inflation and constant dollar gold then indexed the moderns listed directly under his article to the same. The results were very glaring.

I hope you guys like it. The data took a solid week to tabulate.

Eric >>

This is an incredibly small world! Just about a month ago I sold a capped bust quarter to Harry in person. I met him at his chiropractor's office within walking distance of my home. He and his wife are really nice people,but I will have to talk to him about his attitude about Modern issues. Maybe I'll sell him my new MS70 Torch Runner!
  • Options
    Very nice article Eric! And you did not even "hit them" with all the best performers. LOL.

Next time list the Army 50 cent MS Commem and what it has done price-wise and "rock their world". image

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Great news! Can you please email me your article as I do not get NN. My email address is: mjcapc@aol.com

Thanks Eric

Wondercoin >>

Please send it to me too on PM. I'll make sure Harry sees it if he hasn't already.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Eliza Johnson just overtook Julia Tyler by 2 coins-- Julia is still the key. (If you just go by mintages) >>

I recall reading that the Julia Tyler unc. mintage is actually in the 3100's rather than the widely quoted 2800's. Supposedly the last available weekly sales report did not capture the final few days of sales.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Do you plan on selling? I am curiuos to see what you get. >>

After reviewing prices on the bay,it looks like I would have to come down if I wanted to sell,but it wouldn't be appropriate to discuss it further here.Please pm me if interested in further discussion.
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice article Eric! And you did not even "hit them" with all the best performers. LOL.

Next time list the Army 50 cent MS Commem and what it has done price-wise and "rock their world". image

Wondercoin >>

Valid points but I wanted to use the data posted right on the page he used to write about how poor our coins are. :-)

Eric
  • Options

• Options

<< <i> >>

Is there any way I can read a copy of this article? My email is: buzzybestny@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Anyone that wants an original copy send me a pm with with your email address. I will send you a copy right after the NN article comes out.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone that wants an original copy send me a pm with with your email address. I will send you a copy right after the NN article comes out. >>

Ty,but it says "user does not exist or does not want to accept private messages".
  • Options
    Guys obviously reproducing this article for distribution would not be OK. Because it does and will belong to NN. It will be in many mail boxes next week. :-)

Thanks

Eric
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Once again, Eric has come to the rescue of Moderns. While a tricky landscape, it can be navigated for fun and profit if you understand it. Somehow, I think some of the classic guys write it off too quickly and because the coins are not "old", somehow they are less desirable. Thus, we have the modern bashing crowd.

I would also mention that I type collect both classic and modern type coins, so I guess I have a foot in each camp. It is like having two children, both very much different. You can love each of them for what they are, they do not have to be alike to be cherished.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file