Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "tonight auction ends at 1000 hrs, 3 sepearte auctions for Bullion $25 Platinum 2002W Proof Statue of Liberty PCGS 70 DCAM , currently at $775, 750 and 725."

What if they are just high reserves and none sell?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Does the mint usually use the plural when referring to releases that are normally for a single item??? wondering if they are going to bring back fractional buffs and if their going ahead with what they asked in their survey about silver eagles??

03/15/2012 2012 American Buffalo Gold Proof Coins
    04/12/2012 2012 American Eagle Silver Proof Coins

>>

That also struck me as strange. Maybe they are just indicating the mintage will be >1. image
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    2008 W $25 Plat Proof for $547

I own a few of the 2008W in MS and PF. Perhaps the one above sold for so low because there is not a large collector base for this series.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Did anybody see 2008-W Plat $50 NGC MS70 sold for $2600 while two PCGS MS70 sold in $1800 range within last 2 weeks? What the heck...

2008 W Platinum 1/2 Ounce $50 NGC MS70 $2600

2008 W Platinum 1/2 Ounce $50 PCGS MS70 $1825

2008 W Platinum 1/2 Ounce $50 PCGS MS70 $1807 >>

The buyers on the latter two did very well.

I sold a 2006 W $50 Plat Unc in PCGS MS70FS yesterday for $1400 on FeeBay. >>

I recently sold some 06 W pcgs ms70fs plat uncs. I was pretty disappointed in the sales prices. Figured it was a good year to take the losses to offset the 25 th anniversary gains.

The mint state 2006 and 2008 fractional plats are going to get a little lift in the next 6 months I would guess.

:-)

Eric >>

Also been noting a rise on Teletrade for 1997 thru 2004 plat W PCGS70s, FS and non FS, from the 2011 4th quarter to present. ie some 2002 non FS examples:

January 29, 2012
    $575*Bullion $25 Platinum 2002W Proof Statue of Liberty PCGS 70 DCAM

January 22, 2012
    $575*Bullion $25 Platinum 2002W Proof Statue of Liberty PCGS 70 DCAM

December 12, 2011
    $489*Bullion $25 Platinum 2002W Proof Statue of Liberty PCGS 70 DCAM

March 21, 2011
    $719*Bullion $25 Platinum 2002W Proof Statue of Liberty PCGS 70 DCAM

tonight auction ends at 1000 hrs, 3 sepearte auctions for Bullion $25 Platinum 2002W Proof Statue of Liberty PCGS 70 DCAM , currently at $775, 750 and 725. >>

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>2008 W $25 Plat Proof for $547

I own a few of the 2008W in MS and PF. Perhaps the one above sold for so low because there is not a large collector base for this series. >>

That was a steal. Sorry I missed it.
  • Options
    I've been watching some $25 Plats at MCM over the past few weeks.

Among them 4 2005-W NGC PF70 sold out at $650 and 2006-W PCGS MS70 sold out at $850

There is definitely interest in them as I've see resonably strong bidding over Ebay for them

And yes - that particular one 2008-W Proof Quarter for $547 was a steal, I bid on it but lost as my phone was too slow and it went to the one of the honorable forum members image
  • Options
    coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    Is the First Strike premium on the 2008-W plats due to the label, or because the purchase price was considerably higher than those that are not FS-eligible? Remember, the price of platinum was quite high when the 2008s were first issued. The Mint repriced them much lower later in the year.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    What about the 2008-W 1oz plats?
    How are the Proof and Unc coins doing?
  • Options

<< <i>"tonight auction ends at 1000 hrs, 3 sepearte auctions for Bullion $25 Platinum 2002W Proof Statue of Liberty PCGS 70 DCAM , currently at $775, 750 and 725."

What if they are just high reserves and none sell?

Wondercoin >>

You are correct Mitch,as usual. checked back tonight, all reserves, none sold. I have been watching PCGS70 $25s and the trends is upward from what i have seen the last few months. Will start looking harder at the $50s soon.
  • Options
    Come one Eric, spill the beans lol
  • Options
    Error
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fractional Plats? It'd be nice if they would re-constitute the "partial" reverse proofs (uncs from 1997 through 2003) - they really turned out nice as pretty coins!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint has "repriced" the 2011-W unc. Silver Eagle and the 5-oz. ATB's, and they are once again available on the Mint's website.

Same price as before.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    "The mint state 2006 and 2008 fractional plats are going to get a little lift in the next 6 months I would guess. :-) Eric"

My guess is they will be "hyped" or promoted" or "recommended" in one place or another in the next (6) months. To date, that has resulted in essentially very little happening with these coins (overall) over the past three to five years (including the release of Eric's book during that time where I believe they were identified as strong coins). It may take more time for these coins to become the "darlings" of modern collectors. There are just too many "instant winners" (e.g. 25th Anniv silver sets) that keep people's eyes off the burnished platinum "ball" (for now at least).

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    They may be subject to a promotion of one kind or another but another question is can dealers coax enough supply out of the hands of collectors to get these on the market? These seem to be widely distributed (albeit in necessarily small numbers) and they have had ample time to get that way.
  • Options
    The 2012-W proof Buffalo gold is scheduled to go on sale this Thursday, March 15.

Is the 2011-W going off sale the same day? If so, it is likely to be a low mintage coin. Fewer than 26,000 have been issued as of the most recent mint sales report.

• Options

<< <i>The 2012-W proof Buffalo gold is scheduled to go on sale this Thursday, March 15.

Is the 2011-W going off sale the same day? If so, it is likely to be a low mintage coin. Fewer than 26,000 have been issued as of the most recent mint sales report. >>

The 2008w proof buff only had 18,000 so it's still far the lowest. In the past they have pulled the previous year's coin before selling the new one. I'm thinking there is about 20,000 or so left of the 2011w that will need melted.

The 2012w may be lower mintage due to lack of interest, high prices, and lots of competing products.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"The mint state 2006 and 2008 fractional plats are going to get a little lift in the next 6 months I would guess. :-) Eric"

My guess is they will be "hyped" or promoted" or "recommended" in one place or another in the next (6) months. To date, that has resulted in essentially very little happening with these coins (overall) over the past three to five years (including the release of Eric's book during that time where I believe they were identified as strong coins). It may take more time for these coins to become the "darlings" of modern collectors. There are just too many "instant winners" (e.g. 25th Anniv silver sets) that keep people's eyes off the burnished platinum "ball" (for now at least).

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin >>

With regard to what Eric was eluding to, I can assure you there is ho hype, pre planned promotions, or direct recomendations involved. Just factual information and bringing coins into the spotlight that deserve to be there. Will that be enough to jump start the market on these particular coins? We'll just have to wait and see.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    John: The "jump start" may be a while away still (I fear), but, I have been buying them consistently for the past five years and would certainly welcome a move up in the price of burnished platinum coins. Too bad you are not aware of any "pre planned promotions" or "recommendations" though ... either of those might have been the one thing that could have "jump started" the series.

Just my 2 cents

Wonercoin
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Just because I am unaware of any doesn't mean they won't happen. I think they will, I just don't know it for a fact....

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the spouse gold proof demand has possibly fallen below the proof platinum mintages in all sizes since 1997 if the Julia Grant proof holds under 4000. I would never have believed it could happen yet here we are?
  • Options

<< <i>Is the First Strike premium on the 2008-W plats due to the label, or because the purchase price was considerably higher than those that are not FS-eligible? Remember, the price of platinum was quite high when the 2008s were first issued. The Mint repriced them much lower later in the year. >>

I think because:

1) They are the low mintage Plat Proof keys.

2) The VERY low FS pops.
  • Options
    Gold buff day :-)
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    40 minutes to buy the 2011. They may pull it. I would buy but too much for me.
  • Options
    They did not pull the 2011 gold buff.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    I would definately by the 2012 over the 2011 if interested. The 2011 may be on sale to they sell the remaining 20,000 or so.
  • Options
    It looks like the Eliza unc is about to overtake Julia. Will Julia ever be beat??
  • Options
    Raufus, did you pull the trigger on the 2012 buff?
  • Options

<< <i>Raufus, did you pull the trigger on the 2012 buff? >>

I plan to buy two 70's shortly after they hit the aftermarket. I've found that I can generally buy buff 70s shortly after issue at prices close enough to issue that I'm happy to pay someone else to deal the submissions, the 69s, etc.

• Options
    Speaking of low pop US Mint sleepers,try to find a 2012 -W $1 Infantry PCGS PRDC70 FS. FS submission window closes tomorrow here with only 23 graded so far in the current pops report. Interesting!
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Maybe dumb question...you are talking about the 2012 Buffalo gold proof not the 2012MS that are now on the secondary market graded...correct?
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>It looks like the Eliza unc is about to overtake Julia. Will Julia ever be beat?? >>

I would keep an eye on the 2011 proofs. The Julia Grant is already on backorder with a rolling shipping date and reported sales of less than 4,000.

• Options

<< <i>Maybe dumb question...you are talking about the 2012 Buffalo gold proof not the 2012MS that are now on the secondary market graded...correct? >>

Yes the proof.
  • Options

<< <i>

I plan to buy two 70's shortly after they hit the aftermarket. I've found that I can generally buy buff 70s shortly after issue at prices close enough to issue that I'm happy to pay someone else to deal the submissions, the 69s, etc. >>

Whats the turnaround time with the 70's when you'll start to see them for sale usually?
  • Options
    About 30,000 2011 $50 proof buffs were STRUCK. FYI.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>About 30,000 2011 $50 proof buffs were STRUCK. FYI. >>

NN reports 25,802 sold as of 3/12. May still be available at the mint for quite a while.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I plan to buy two 70's shortly after they hit the aftermarket. I've found that I can generally buy buff 70s shortly after issue at prices close enough to issue that I'm happy to pay someone else to deal the submissions, the 69s, etc. >>

Whats the turnaround time with the 70's when you'll start to see them for sale usually? >>

I usually start to see them from the big dealers about 1-2 weeks post first deliveries.

I generally wait 1-3 weeks after that so that there is more competition on Ebay as more sellers have the coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It looks like the Eliza unc is about to overtake Julia. Will Julia ever be beat?? >>

I would keep an eye on the 2011 proofs. The Julia Grant is already on backorder with a rolling shipping date and reported sales of less than 4,000. >>

It's now a week later and the 2011 proof Julia Grant continues on backorder with reported sales of 3,968 and a rolling shipping date (currently 04/12/2012).

All of the 2011 proof First Spouses show reported sales under 4,000. I think it's possible that only around 4,000 each of the 2011 proofs were struck, which if true would be the lowest mintages of the series so far.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would keep an eye on the 2011 proofs. The Julia Grant is already on backorder with a rolling shipping date and reported sales of less than 4,000. >>

It's now a week later and the 2011 proof Julia Grant continues on backorder with reported sales of 3,968 and a rolling shipping date (currently 04/12/2012).

All of the 2011 proof First Spouses show reported sales under 4,000. I think it's possible that only around 4,000 each of the 2011 proofs were struck, which if true would be the lowest mintages of the series so far. >>

There might also be another four 4k or even lower proof First Spouses in 2012. And I don't think the line up of the 2012 First Spouse is that attractive.

It's getting harder and more expensive to try catching the the lowest mintage First Spouse.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is that saying about a tree falling in a forest???
    And this comes from a one-time fan of the mint who is now largely burnt out on them...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Julie Grant proof is now sold out. This leaves me wondering where Lucy and Lucretia may come in at for both versions. I think Julie Tyler's records are toast.

How much lower can mintages go.image
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Julie Grant proof is now sold out. This leaves me wondering where Lucy and Lucretia may come in at for both versions. I think Julie Tyler's records are toast.

How much lower can mintages go.image >>

Wow, probably sub-4000 on a proof coin. If we can manage to make our way back to prosperous times these coins will be quite an item.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    Yesterday it appears this '08-w platinum $50 in MS70 went for quite a strong price.

link
  • Options
    The coin (2008-w $50 plat) is seriously rare and unlike the first hags does not have a serious case of ugly to go with it.
  • Options

<< <i>The coin (2008-w $50 plat) is seriously rare and unlike the first hags dont have a serious case of ugly to go with it. >>

I'm heartened to finally see some price action on this coin since I've spent a few years acquiring as many as I can.
  • Options
    I have several of them that I bought at $650 each when they were new. Still have all of them and I dont plan to let any go any time soon unless I get in some unknown financial trouble. They just might make SERIOUS stocking stuffers for the young people in the extended family. :-) I think of them as long term intergenerational material.
  • Options
    2008-W $100 PCGS MS70 Plat

This seems to indicate no interest in platinum coins.

• Options
    Current price on 2008W $50 unc gold is about 1.2 times melt. The $100 platinum eagle sold at 1.35 times melt. Does that indicate no interest in gold coins? Likely not. What it does show is the large denomination coinage and the premium that rarer items enjoy is compressed when material cost are very high.
  • Options

<< <i>Current price on 2008W $50 unc gold is about 1.2 times melt. The $100 platinum eagle sold at 1.35 times melt. Does that indicate no interest in gold coins? Likely not. What it does show is the large denomination coinage and the premium that rarer items enjoy is compressed when material cost are very high. >>

1.35X melt for what I consider to be the key date plat (less than 3000 coins)? This value seems like a very small premium comparing it to % over melt that this type of coin sells for, new from the mint.

• Options
    It is a small mark up over melt in both the 2008-w unc plat and 2008-w unc gold. Both are lead dates in their sets. High material cost drive down collector premiums on large denominations in most cases unless the keys are ultra rare issues. The coins are behaving in a normal manner.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file