Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Eagle Droppings, oh dear god, what an idea

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • I like the 1 oz platinum eagles. I hope they dont drop it. If they do drop it ,Im out.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like platinum is back over $2,000 again.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• how high does platinum have to go to see a meltdown?

how high does platinum have to go to see a meltdown?

Melting is already reported to be happening.

My guess is that higher prices would cause more melting of platinum coins to feed industrial demand.

• NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    There is a thread on errors going tonight. I posted a picture of my strike thru 2006 W $25 Burnished Plat. Some of you have already seen it but for those of you who haven't:

The 2006W error was annotated on the slab by PCGS for what I am very grateful! The 2007 Proof is not annotated on the slab and is very minor by comparison...
    While I am at it. I just stumbled across these pictures as I was looking for the other ones so I figured I show them:

• FINE LOOKING SET BEN!

They give me the same feel as the fifty state silver proof quarters just 100-200 times rarer!
    They are very good looking coins Eric!
    These are "average" prices paid for 2006 W and 2007 W Uncirculated Platinum Eagles with Changing Reverses:

The grade through rates for Proof Platinum Eagles at PCGS for the last quarter averaged 34.99% (includes Reverse Proof numbers). The average for all years and all denominations without the 10th Anniversary set numbers is 15.39%.

Platinum Uncirculated with Changing Reverse Eagles averaged a grade through rate of 27.04% at PCGS this last quarter.
  • SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These are "average" prices paid for 2006 W and 2007 W Uncirculated Platinum Eagles with Changing Reverses:

The grade through rates for Proof Platinum Eagles at PCGS for the last quarter averaged 34.99% (includes Reverse Proof numbers). The average for all years and all denominations without the 10th Anniversary set numbers is 15.39%.

Platinum Uncirculated with Changing Reverse Eagles averaged a grade through rate of 27.04% at PCGS this last quarter. >>

thanksimage
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    The entire series is vastly undervalued as early (pre-2002) platinum SOL in uncirculated condition in the top grades are virtually impossible to find anywhere in any denomination. image
    I've looked at some auctions on eBay and some years seem to be trending up regardless of the slab. A 1997 $10 NGC MS70 sold for $1030.00 on April 1st (open bid). A friend of mine bought one a few months ago for $587.00.
    Today has been an interesting day:

1. Platinum 10th Ann Set is back on sale at the mint.
    2. Red Book is out showing suggested prices for 2006 W Burnished (as described in the Red Book) and a nice increase for 2005 Platinum Proof material.
    3. Red Book screwed up the mintages for Platinum Proofs again (it shows only singles instead of the total mintage including sets).

BTW, 10th Ann sets are at $2,650...
  • 10th Anniv sets on sale, but individuals coins still waiting on repricing? Sounds more like the individuals are GONE!
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
    We are into the 2nd quarter of 2008.

Time to take all 2007 material off sale already.....

• << <i>We are into the 2nd quarter of 2008.

Time to take all 2007 material off sale already..... >>

If I recall, they generally leave the previous years material for sale until they release the current years material. That could be as late as September.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Anyone know how many 08 W ASEs are sold so far?

• << <i>Anyone know how many 08 W ASEs are sold so far? >>

Mint Statistics
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I recall, they generally leave the previous years material for sale until they release the current years material. That could be as late as September.

Usually, the proof sets slide into the following year, but I don't think I've ever seen them available beyond April. With the Anniversary Set, that may change.

No mention of Plats through May 29th on the release schedule.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>

<< <i>Anyone know how many 08 W ASEs are sold so far? >>

Mint Statistics >>

Thanks Kablemodem!
  • Bump! I miss this thread!

Anyone have any updated mintage / price updates on the eagles?

• << <i>I have been thinking lately about the hobby trying to understand where its going and what the next few years of the hobby will hold. There are just so many unknowns like the economy, terror attacks, how fast the dollar is going to depreciate etc etc. Warren Buffet suggests that we not spend much time on these things and focus on what is knowable so that is what I will do. We know some things: >>

Interesting, good job.

one thing that bothers me is the use of terror attacks as a variable in your outlook on the economy.
    I think the brainwashing, has trickled down to collectors.

Yes its true, terror attacks are a big part of our daily lives, because I can think of so many..

I wouldn't let it get to you, or place the suggestion that there is a problem in the future, because We are at war.
    hey whatever floats your boat.
    I guess we should sign away the rest of our civil rights to protect us from the big fat rat..

On the brighter side, any such attacks, would probably come from within our own government, but I don't think they would want to leak that information to the general public. (Looking) for truth is the key.

you can find plenty of facts that point the finger at internal operations. If it sound anti American its only because there are enough people who refuse to believe that such attacks come from an external source..
    Imagine a whole floor of bankers, and market makers not showing up for work one day, because of a funny feeling...

I know G.W. wanted to follow in his fathers foot steps, but come on enough is enough!
    If OJ was not guilty why did he get sued?

I would never try to lead you astray from your true beliefs, you alone should determine the facts.. IMO
    Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

• I did not give the comment that much though and had no deeper meaning intended than to say plenty of things could impact aggregate demand in the economy that are hard to foresee.
    Newp from forum member, Fatman:
    imageimage

Thanks, John!

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>I did not give the comment that much though and had no deeper meaning intended than to say plenty of things could impact aggregate demand in the economy that are hard to foresee. >>

Since you brought it up, I didn't mean you said it intentionally.

From what I have read, its a (total lack) of confidence in a currency that leads to it becoming totally worthless in the first place.

Lack of consumer confidence would have the greatest impact on the economy.
    Suggesting that a terror attack could in fact accomplish that IMO is a farce, or a embellishment of the actual truth to spread fear.

Humblepie

I have found power in the mysteries of thought.

It is always a question of knowing and seeing, and not that of believing.

Our virtues, and our failings are inseparable, like force, and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

Sales for this quarter have been rather slow. It's a good time to buy if you are a believer!

With the platinum price down from its peak, is there still a lot of coin melting going on?

With the platinum price down from its peak, is there still a lot of coin melting going on?

The rumor about the melting of Platinum began way before the last spike on PM prices. According to some people in these boards, it has been going on for years. The spike kind of brought it to light because the situation became very blunt and obvious. Even if it has slow down some, there are still people out there who got in it early enough to find smelter prices attractive.
    So, Ben - am I to understand from your chart that you paid $1,202 for that little gem? image

I knew it would happen.
    So, Ben - am I to understand from your chart that you paid $1,202 for that little gem?

Jerry! I actually paid a bit more, $1305 to be exact. Non-FS samples seem to pull the price down to an average of $1202 for this quarter so far (I track FS and Non-FS together)...
    So far this quarter, there have been four 2006 W $25 PCGS MS70 sold. One of them was a BIN for $1076 on a 10th Anniversary label. The firs one sold was also a 10th Anniversary label and it went for $1125. The other two have been First Strike labeled samples (one for $1303 and the other for $1305).

It seems like the market is down in general. Teletrade realized prices show new lows for 2004 and 2005 dated Platinum Proofs as well in PCGS PR70DCAM slabs. I don't think the downward trend on prices we are seeing right now is directly related to 2006 W Plats only but rather the market as a whole seems to have slowed down quite a bit lately.
    2008 dated Platinum Proof Eagles go on sale tomorrow at 12:00 EST. Prices are outrageous. With that, the sales of 2007 dated Proofs end leaving the $10 and the $25 as new semi-key dates. If I am not mistaken, 2007 $25 Proofs beat 2005 dated $25s by about 600 coins for a new low of 5824(?) if I am not mistaken.

On June 2nd, Uncirculated Platinum Eagles with changing reverse and "W" mint mark go on sale. The worst part of all this is that the mint substituted the beautiful "Eagle and Owl" reverse by a less attractive design. Not very good looking and expensive is a really bad combination for an already troubled series.

With 2008 W dated Silver Eagles with 2007 reverses many collectors are spending their already exhausted wallets somewhere else. Plus, with the increasing number of PM offerings by the mint one must wonder what the sales of 2008 Platinum Eagles will look like?
    With that, the sales of 2007 dated Proofs end leaving the $10 and the $25 as new semi-key dates. If I am not mistaken, 2007 $25 Proofs beat 2005 dated $25s by about 600 coins for a new low of 5824(?) if I am not mistaken.

Ben - your numbers are correct as far as I can tell.

The 2008 Plats are already behind the Eight Ball with pricing that is higher than ever before, and with fairly high starting point premiums (as usual) ranging from 21% to 46%, based on current spot platinum.

The game is the same, however. It's a long 12 months between now and closing time, and the increased volatility in the price of platinum can be a friend or not. The Mint is always slow to lower prices in-line with the market, but quick on the draw to raise them if platinum goes up. Thus, you can count on a few months where there will be no sales because the Mint will be adjusting prices. That really shouldn't make any difference however, if you are a collector with a mission.

What makes the game more difficult this year, (especially for flippers) is that platinum made a spectacular run to the upside last year, and it might decide to consolidate or back off from its highs a bit more - which could be pretty interesting if they get left holding the bag. For collectors, it makes little difference since we will be keeping the coins we buy.

It's important to remember that *the Mint lies* when they say that they don't re-sell returned coins. The first caveat for Plat collectors is that you cannot fail to order your coins with the initial offering or you will be relegated to picking over other people's returns for the next 11 months. THAT's Rule No. 1, which I re-learned last year, never to be repeated. If you miss the rollout, you might as well buy PCGS-graded stuff from the ticket scalpers (flippers). I'm all for government-approved speculation, but in the case of the Mint, they always bite the hands that feed them, and you will do well to remember that.

Good Luck tomorrow! (You won't really need it, but good luck anyway!)image

I knew it would happen.
    The first caveat for Plat collectors is that you cannot fail to order your coins with the initial offering or you will be relegated to picking over over people's returns for the next 11 months. THAT's Rule No. 1

Amen! I couldn't have said it better. I guess I won't be the only one there tomorrow at 12:00PM EST. image
  • Thanks for the updates, guys! Where did you find the pricing info and poop about the 2008 w-unc change?

Eric

Edit: never mind - just found it...
    I am still getting the 1/10 oz proof coin one of these days.....

After getting a 08/07 Reverse SAE I might wait a few weeks however.....
  • ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    I use this thread and this board for information on upcoming US Mint products. While I see the new product schedule, I can't seem to find where the pricing and population information is found.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks
  • Here is one source of information about the 2008 proof plats.

Eric
    That was the quickest order I've ever placed!
    Can't imagine there is a big push for these coins today.....
    I don't know if you guys noticed but the 2007 W Uncirculated $10 and $100 Platinum Eagles with Changing Reverse are available for sale at the mint once again. The $25s and $50s are still showing unavailable...
  • I thought the 2008 plat was supposed to have an owl or something like that on the reverse to represent the judicial system. Whats up with the sworded liberty?
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhh, not to get political but do we have a judiciary these days? Let's go occupy some other countries blindfolded; hmmm, sounds appropriate to me....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I am selling a 10th Anniversary Platinum set on e-bay with a starting bid of $2200 and a BIN of $2200. I have 5 people watching the auction.
    I am assuming that they are waiting for a particular spot price to buy. What would be the spot price you wait for? And do you think the mint could possibly sell a single set in the mean time, at $2650?
    Uhh, not to get political but do we have a judiciary these days? Let's go occupy some other countries blindfolded; hmmm, sounds appropriate to me....

Maybe that's how she ended up with a pile of poop on her left foot (2008)...
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I just purchased my 2008 "poop foot" platinum proofs
    Dan
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    oh, I also see we're at...
    Dan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file