Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I think 10k sounds to be the number....
    Been waiting to pull the trigger on this 11W $50 but just can not quite get myself to do it.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, we've reached over 9600 responses. I wished I could have afforded to buy more gold and silver from all the knowledge received here since ericj 96 started the thread. I did manage to do better with gold and silver coins over the past decade than I have with my money in stocks, or my 401K minus a few Ks, and the value of my home which the city increased in value for the purpose of taxation , but the value has actually gone down.

Historical data led me to gold and economic data keeps me in it.

As a matter of reference :

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Say Experts/Aficionados -- Would the smart investor keep these in OGP, send the 11-S & RP to be graded, or send them all to PCGS? >>

Send them to PCGS ASAP. Lock in as many MS/RP70's as possible. You can always crack out the MS/RP68's and place them back in the OGP. >>

Is "them' the 11 S and the RP or the whole set?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'd send "them" all, in for a penny in for a pound...image
  • why not send them all in.... you know people pay premiums for labels!
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I figure they've minted at least 20,000 of the 2011-w $50s >>

I dont think even half as much.

<< <i>why not send them all in.... you know people pay premiums for labels! >>

Because it is expensive and only a couple (2011 s and RP) are unique to the set.

Of course, with the 20th annive age set the proof is the key in 70.
    On another subject entirely...

Just curious...does anyone know who "kettybeeth" is on Ebay. He/she sure does sell a ton of $$ in Moderns. Is her/she on the forum?

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, the talk is 9,000 or 10,000 mintage on the 2011-W $50 Gold Eagle now, is that right? The 08-W MS $50 has a premium of roughly $100-$150 over a scrap bullion $50 MS date with its 11,900 mintage (at least I have been offered a couple around that level recently). So, what would a 9,000 - 10,000 mintage mean to the 11-W gold? $300 or $400 over spot perhaps or much more? But, the Mint is nearly around that $250-$300 over spot level already on their asking price. $450-$500 over spot would at least allow for a 10% profit above current mint issue price? But, much above $500 and one could buy a similar mintage 06-W reverse proof gold (again assuming a 9,000-10,000 mintage which is nothing more than an assumption at this point), which is also a 1 year type coin. And, then could you imagine what would happen if the US Mint announced a 25th Anniv gold set that also included this coin (although not a peep on that possibility so far). So, who here wants to go out on the limb and make the case for socking a lot of money into the 11-W gold right now? We can refer to that post a year or two from now and give credit where credit is due.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

• << <i>On another subject entirely...

Just curious...does anyone know who "kettybeeth" is on Ebay. He/she sure does sell a ton of $$ in Moderns. Is her/she on the forum? >>

I purchased from them once. I was very impressed with the packaging job and speed of shipment. No affiliation.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭
    At 5,919 presently, unless the pace picks up dramatically at the end of the year, I think this won't reach 10K, and may end around 8,500. However, a 25th AGE that included it, could blow mintages out substantially.

Too much risk in my mind until 25AGE is settled.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I may try to pick up one of these, but really don't seem them as a big deal. It's not nearly as interesting or beautiful as the RP, and I just don't think there are enough 1-ounce collectors to really drive this thing, other than the label hunters who still, amazingly, seem to be in a feeding frenzy. I'm sure I'm probably wrong.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

<< <i>

<< <i>On another subject entirely...

Just curious...does anyone know who "kettybeeth" is on Ebay. He/she sure does sell a ton of $$ in Moderns. Is her/she on the forum? >>

I purchased from them once. I was very impressed with the packaging job and speed of shipment. No affiliation. >>

I've had a great experiance as well. Just curious who they are. Big Ebay modern players.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, who here wants to go out on the limb and make the case for socking a lot of money into the 11-W gold right now?

That would definitely be a counterintuitive move right now. As high as the price of gold is right now and with a mintage of 5,919 already, it does get harder to justify spending money in that direction - especially if an AGE Set is at all possible. Again, it is counterintuitive.

Eliza, anyone?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, who here wants to go out on the limb and make the case for socking a lot of money into the 11-W gold right now?

That would definitely be a counterintuitive move right now. As high as the price of gold is right now and with a mintage of 5,919 already, it does get harder to justify spending money in that direction - especially if an AGE Set is at all possible. Again, it is counterintuitive.

Eliza, anyone?image >>

I agree on the 2011-W burnished. As far as the Hags go, I have no clue what will happen...I would not be surprised with a sub 1000 sales number. The Hags are a horrible design, with horrible marketing, and almost no collector base. I just don't like them and am only barely interested in them as a speculative investment. That said, the keys will probably be worth 20X their current price in 20 years. image
    Drei I am completely with you. I just can not get with the bags, er hags no matter mintage or sorry design. Who cares about such a conjured up issue?
    I have yet to meet a real collector of these.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Drei I am completely with you. I just can not get with the bags, er hags no matter mintage or sorry design. Who cares about such a conjured up issue?
    I have yet to meet a real collector of these. >>

There are some real collectors for the 4-coin "Liberty" subset. Probably also a few registry set completists.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hags are a horrible design, with horrible marketing, and almost no collector base. <True.>

I just don't like them and am only barely interested in them as a speculative investment. <True.>

That said, the keys will probably be worth 20X their current price in 20 years.image <True.>

I just can not get with the bags, er hags no matter mintage or sorry design. (You, and practically everyone else.image)

Who cares about such a conjured up issue? <Very Few.>

I have yet to meet a real collector of these. <Ditto.>

The Gold Spouses remind me of the Commemorative Half Series around the time I was just starting out as a collector. Nobody wanted them.

There are some real collectors for the 4-coin "Liberty" subset. <At least it is a set you can complete with a coherent and consistant theme.>
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>I have yet to meet a real collector of these. >>

ha! i've got one of each in FS PR69 and 70. consistent theme? yep, gold women (minus the liberties of course) and the nice looking FS slabs in my case. mostly ugly, and a few babes. now if they were all hot babes the set wouldn't have as much hatred. and when I think of the many ugly ones, I only need to look at the $10 gold turban fat lady...or maybe that was supposed to be a liberty guy? i don't know and won't ask. the us mint has a history of some ugly designsimage -aap
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭
    Well the mint beat me to the cancel box. The box was there and clicked on it but it was too late to cancel on the 2011 AGE MS One Ouncer. Will receive it today. May keep it if its MS 70 worthy. But the talk around here seems to indicate its not worth keeping.
    Wow! All Hail AAP as that is quite a feat.
    That sounds like a lot of investment so far with more to come.
    Might be somebody's museum collection one day....
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well the mint beat me to the cancel box. The box was there and clicked on it but it was too late to cancel on the 2011 AGE MS One Ouncer. Will receive it today. May keep it if its MS 70 worthy. But the talk around here seems to indicate its not worth keeping. >>

I hope you don't get one of my rejects.

The 25th Anniversary Set is now listed on the Mint's website for 10/27/11 release.
  • anyone have the latest numbers on the 2011-w $50 unc gold & first spouse gold?
  • ok.... who did this!?

linklink
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    IMHO nothing but greed did that, but I wanted to share that after 3 or 4 months of searching I finally was able to complete a small subset of sorts. Last night was the final piece of a 3 piece set that I scored on feebay. I now am the proud owner of the 2006-w- 2008-w burnished $10 platinum coin set. And what made it nice was, is that after the final auction price on the 2007-w set, free shipping and the use of my feebay bucks kicked in and made it really affordable.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Sent in a bulk order, 100) 2011-w unc Silver eagles. I hope with all the price changes and silver price swings, not many will be eligible for the first strike designation. image
    Incredible.

Glad that she is confident that "only" 100K sets will be minted...

• ajman,

Congrats on a very rare and attractive set.

Eric
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, the talk is 9,000 or 10,000 mintage on the 2011-W $50 Gold Eagle now, is that right? >>

I dont know who is talking about 9-10k, you would be lucky to see a final number over 8k, maybe as low as 6k, regardless of what sales numbers say at the moment.

Even with a low number, we all know the % growth on a high dollar coin is pretty small......... given this, I dont know if I would be placing $$ there at the moment with 25th Anniv Sets around the corner.

As for 25th AGE sets, not a chance, just my opinion.

<< <i>coinupdate >>

Eliza will have to sell over 500 more net to catch up with Julia. It seems that Eliza will be the new low mintage Spouse queen. The Eliza Unc is the next unc to go off sale. Do you agree or am I missing something?
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Eliza will have to sell over 500 more net to catch up with Julia. It seems that Eliza will be the new low mintage Spouse queen. The Eliza Unc is the next unc to go off sale. Do you agree or am I missing something?"

Can't the Mint continue to sell this coin for many, many more months to come and certainly well into 2012? Especially since it appears the Mint recently ran another production batch of E. Johnson coins for future sales ... at least that is what it appeared to me that the Mint recently did? Or, is that not what just happened?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

• << <i>"Eliza will have to sell over 500 more net to catch up with Julia. It seems that Eliza will be the new low mintage Spouse queen. The Eliza Unc is the next unc to go off sale. Do you agree or am I missing something?"

Can't the Mint continue to sell this coin for many, many more months to come and certainly well into 2012? Especially since it appears the Mint recently ran another production batch of E. Johnson coins for future sales ... at least that is what it appeared to me that the Mint recently did? Or, is that not what just happened?

Wondercoin >>

Inquiring minds want to know image Feel like I'm stepping up to the craps tables......"give me a $25 yo"
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ajman,

Congrats on a very rare and attractive set.

Eric >>

Thanks eric, it was fun for me to put together. Funny thing is out of the 3 coins the '07-W was the hardest one for me to find even with its significantly higher mintage. All coins were in the OGP. By the way I really enjoy your book.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Did anyone else see this? APMEX offering the four Liberty spouse proofs for $6495 check or wire or $6689.85 credit card !!!!!! Is this the first step in marketing these? Oh yeah, they are housed in a mint box image

http://www.apmex.com/Category/147/First_Spouse_Commemoratives_10_Gold_Coins.aspx
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

• << <i>Did anyone else see this? APMEX offering the four Liberty spouse proofs for $6495 check or wire or $6689.85 credit card !!!!!! Is this the first step in marketing these? Oh yeah, they are housed in a mint box image

http://www.apmex.com/Category/147/First_Spouse_Commemoratives_10_Gold_Coins.aspx >>

Linkified.

They claim to just have one. I wouldn't be too surprised to see increased marketing of the liberty subsets, especially as the holidays near.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
    The 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle set appears to be headed for a sellout by the end of today (Oct. 27).

Any guesses as to the value of the two key coins?

The 2006-P reverse proof (mintage 250,000) is in the low $200's for 69's. Based on this price, I would expect the 2011-P reverse proof (mintage 100,000) to be at least $350.

The 2008-W reverse of 2007 has a mintage under 50,000 and is in the high $300's in MS69. I would expect the 2011-S (mintage 100,000) to also be at least in the high $300's - higher mintage, but also higher demand due to not being an optional "variety".

• HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I think sets will be at $800 to $1000 by next year at some point.
  • Get the sets in hand and dont be quick to dump them. I think $750 a set will come up quickly at the wholesale level.

Eric
    (Re the 25th Anniversary set: just posted by me on another thread, but it might be of interest here also)

I think the proof and uncirculated silver eagles have distinct (though overlapping) collector bases, with higher demand for uncirculated.

The proof key at present is the 1995-W, mintage 30k and price around $2500 raw or 69. Next in line is the 2006-P reverse proof, mintage 250k and price around $200. To me this would imply a price for the 2011-P reverse proof, mintage 100k at between $400 and $500.

The uncirculated key at present is the 2006-W, mintage 470k and price around $60. The 2008-W reverse of 2007 (mintage 47k) is around $400, but it is an error/variety and many collectors don't consider it necessary to complete their sets. The 2011-S, mintage 100k will be the key by date/mintmark, and my estimate of a fair value (raw or 69) would be $600 or higher.

So my guess (and it's *only* a guess) is that, given today's prices for the other keys, a complete set should be worth around $1,100 to $1,250.

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(Re the 25th Anniversary set: just posted by me on another thread, but it might be of interest here also)

I think the proof and uncirculated silver eagles have distinct (though overlapping) collector bases, with higher demand for uncirculated.

The proof key at present is the 1995-W, mintage 30k and price around $2500 raw or 69. Next in line is the 2006-P reverse proof, mintage 250k and price around $200. To me this would imply a price for the 2011-P reverse proof, mintage 100k at between $400 and $500.

The uncirculated key at present is the 2006-W, mintage 470k and price around $60. The 2008-W reverse of 2007 (mintage 47k) is around $400, but it is an error/variety and many collectors don't consider it necessary to complete their sets. The 2011-S, mintage 100k will be the key by date/mintmark, and my estimate of a fair value (raw or 69) would be $600 or higher.

So my guess (and it's *only* a guess) is that, given today's prices for the other keys, a complete set should be worth around $1,100 to $1,250. >>

Your logic actually makes some sense. May take some time to get there, but my guess is we'll probably see those levels.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I'm wondering how the 2011 W Burnished coin will perform. The current mintage of the 2011 W's is 283K approx, 183K in singles and 100K in the 25th anniv sets. 2011 will soon be history and I see no chance of the mint selling an additional 183K W's.

If we compare to 2006, we had 270K in the anniv sets, and the rest 196,000 were singles. I think without question the 2011 will replace the 2006 with the lowest mintage...But, with a majority of the 2006 sales potentially tied into the anniv sets I'm not sure if a low mintage for 2011's will necessarily indicate a significant premium...??

Ok, back to my image

• 2006-W platinum.....2007-W platinum....2008-W platinum..........PUMP AND DUMP....ERICJ.......BUT there was no pump.....Very little dump.....Move on....
  • What????????image
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What????????image >>

imageimage

<< <i>2006-W platinum.....2007-W platinum....2008-W platinum..........PUMP AND DUMP....ERICJ.......BUT there was no pump.....Very little dump.....Move on.... >>

Leonidas -- I think you need to reread this thread.
  • I like the 2006w, 07w and 08w mint state plats but I like lots of moderns. No body wanted mat proof gold in 1915 either. Hang in there man, longer term the super moderns will be just fine....

Eric J
  • Saw these 2006 $50s sell on BST for $850, a little depressed about the low price but even more depressed I did not have the extra money to buy them.

"2006-W Burnished platinum $50 in OGP (two of these): **SOLD**
    2006-W Burnished platinum $50 NGC MS69 Early Release (two of these): **SOLD**
    2007-W Burnished platinum $50 in mint capsule: $875"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file