Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes,sadly that is my perspective too. The '04s are much harder to locate, but in a sense with them and the '08Ws and the rest of platinums it seems nobody cares. I am holding them but do not expect much...

Meanwhile I still hold that numbers of collectors of "modern crap" that we love is dwindling....
    Well, I still love them.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I agree that collector numbers are dwindling, and it's easy to understand why when so many people are fighting to hold onto their houses. I suppose that could reverse itself with the recovery of the middle class, but no one is putting policies in place that would allow that. Many ex-middle class families are dropping into the poor column with little chance of rising again. Speculating in such an environment is very difficult, but that's also liberating in that it helps us refocus on coins that we just really love. The plats are a good example. I also have no idea if they will ever go up in numismatic value, but I love these coins and am proud to have them. The buffs and UHR are other good examples. These are just gorgeous coins, pleasing to look at, so I'm happy to hold onto them. First spouses? Well, not so much and they will be the first to go when I need to pay the mortgage. If and when I get some discretionary income again, I'll be taking a look at some of the older modern commems again to see which designs I really love, and it could be some good prices because, again, the numbers of collectors seems to have fallen below thresholds that used to seem critical--as Overdate, 7Jaguars, and others pointed out.

Enough rambling for now! This continues to be one of my favorite threads. Four years????
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

• << <i>That article also begs the question, is it time to start selling the 2008 W $10 AGE Uncs?? There is a HUGE premium on them now. If the 2011 W $50 Unc beats it this will likely go down substantially. >>

I've been out of the loop for a while, just not doing anything because of family illnesses, problems, etc.

So, please pardon the stupid question - but what is the current "huge" premium on the 2008 W $10 AGE Uncirculateds these days?

Are any of the 2007 W uncirculated coins carrying a noteworthy premium at this point? In particular, was wondering about a boxed set, or whether the $10 or $25 are worth paying extra attention to . . .

And while I'm at it - the spouse sub-set - I have the first three but have yet to get a Buchanan. For some reason that I don't now know makes good sense, I bought the first three in the proof version, so I suppose I'd finish the sub-set with a proof Buchanan. I just don't know if it's still worth doing at these levels. What would you guys do?

I'm afraid I missed my chance at taking the best profit from a double prosperity set, but I haven't had chance to research that recently either.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clawdia, my comments are based on pricing prior to today's hit on gold, which is real but I suspect temporary...

The 2007-W burnished AGE Sets seem to have been on a steady climb, and recent ebay transactions have pushed the NGC-70 ER Set and the Raw Set to up over $4,000. The only record of a PCGS-70 Set being sold was for $3,660 and it's anyone's guess how long ago that was, because I don't log in each sales date. The 2007-W burnished AGE Sets have been trending upwards consistantly in every flavor for quite awhile now.

The 1/4 oz. 2008-W burnished AGE has kept its premium and has been rangebound with a very slight upward bias for a long time. Current ebay transactions have put the price somewhere in the $1,250 to $1,350 range for MS-69 and Raw coins, and in the range of $1,450 to $1,650 for MS-70 coins. There is some variability from one sale to the next.

Individually, the 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. 2007-W AGEs have done well. The 1/4 ozer in MS-69 and Raw, has been sold in the $550 to $750 range and the MS-70 has sold in the $625 to $900 range - both with a slight upward bias, but both with huge swings in prices realized from one sale to the next. The 1/2 ozer has been moving up strongly until just recently. It will take a few more sales to see if this is a top, or whether the trend will continue upwards. The 1/2 ozer has sold in MS-69 from $1,300 to $1,450 and in MS-70 and Raw in the $1,450 to $1,750 range with wide variations from one sale to the next.

Today's selloff in gold will probably affect these prices and it may take a few weeks for a consolidation to reflect any new pricing. Hope this helps.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>Yes,sadly that is my perspective too. The '04s are much harder to locate, but in a sense with them and the '08Ws and the rest of platinums it seems nobody cares. I am holding them but do not expect much...

Meanwhile I still hold that numbers of collectors of "modern crap" that we love is dwindling....
    Well, I still love them. >>

Remember the chapter in our book on the impact of high material prices and how it crushes collector base and premiums? This is what is going on.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, [other] Eric.
    Nostradamus you are!LOL!
    Quite right though...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few things...

1) Did you all notice the raw Buff proof set which recently sold on FeeBay for $7200? Not bad!

2) A 2008 W PCGS PF70FS Buff set sold for $14.5K!

3) Based on Eliza Unc sales last week do you all not think that it is likely that Eliza will unseat Julia in mintage (not looks!)?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A few things...

1) Did you all notice the raw Buff proof set which recently sold on FeeBay for $7200? Not bad!

2) A 2008 W PCGS PF70FS Buff set sold for $14.5K!

3) Based on Eliza Unc sales last week do you all not think that it is likely that Eliza will unseat Julia in mintage (not looks!)? >>

#3 is not likely IMO. Marg Taylor had a lower sales number than Eliza at the equivalent point in the sales cycle and it obviously ended up higher than Julia. It was sales in the last few weeks of availability which put taylor over the top... I think the same will happend with eliza and others since spouses are more 'on the radar' than they were a year ago.
    How much longer do you think that Julia will be on sale?
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought all of the PR70DC 2008-W platinum 1/10 FS I could find throughout the summer and Fall of 2008--there are 35 First Strikes and I have quite a few of them. I don't know of a public sale where I wasn't the high bidder. Since then, to my knowledge, none have been offered for sale. Well, two days ago I decided to test the water...eBay My auction lasted all of 5 minutes.

I have mixed feelings; glad they're still those who want them, but regret losing one...image
    I'm gonna do some amateur analysis concerning the upcoming 25th ASE set:

-The 1995W, after 16 yrs, books at $3300 in PR69 with a 1400 pop
    -The 2006 RP, after 5 yrs, has a PR70 pop of 2100 with sales of 250K
    -Based on those numbers and predicted sales of 100K, the 2011-S may have a pop of 1000 in MS70 in 5 yrs and be worth $3000+

I'm really excited about the 5-coin ASE set. What do you think?
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I am ordering a 25th anniversary set when it is for sale.

I will keep it in the original packaging however.

Set should be a winner.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

<< <i>I am ordering a 25th anniversary set when it is for sale.

I will keep it in the original packaging however.

Set should be a winner. >>

I really don't know what to do with the set? Keep in OGP, send all 5 coins off for grading, or break out the 2011-S & 2011 RP and send the 69-70's off for grading. I'm leaning toward the latter...

HELP PLEASE???
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I have all my silver eagles in OGP or the bullion ones in snap holders.

The platinum coins proof and W unc are in OGP.

This is just how I keep things.

Don't care for these in special plastic.

My personal preference is original packaging. This is why I like the 1958 mint set I have in original packaging.
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves

<< <i>I bought all of the PR70DC 2008-W platinum 1/10 FS I could find throughout the summer and Fall of 2008--there are 35 First Strikes and I have quite a few of them. I don't know of a public sale where I wasn't the high bidder. Since then, to my knowledge, none have been offered for sale. Well, two days ago I decided to test the water...eBay My auction lasted all of 5 minutes.

I have mixed feelings; glad they're still those who want them, but regret losing one...image >>

That's incredible money for a $10 plat. I am pleased with your results (esp. given how many 08 W plats that I have).

I have a 2008 W APE PR70DCFS. I wonder what that would bring? It's the rarest of all plat proofs. I don't remember what the pop of that one is. I'll have to check.

Edited: It's pop 24. I paid $2100 for it. Thought that I was getting killed. Perhaps not.

<< <i>I'm gonna do some amateur analysis concerning the upcoming 25th ASE set:

-The 1995W, after 16 yrs, books at $3300 in PR69 with a 1400 pop
    -The 2006 RP, after 5 yrs, has a PR70 pop of 2100 with sales of 250K
    -Based on those numbers and predicted sales of 100K, the 2011-S may have a pop of 1000 in MS70 in 5 yrs and be worth $3000+

I'm really excited about the 5-coin ASE set. What do you think? >>

I am very excited as well. Of course, there may well be more than 100K sets. I just hope that it's under the 20th anniv mintages! I also wonder whether the '06 RP will take a hit.

I am very interested in people's grading plans: grading them all FS in hopes of a FS70 set (BIG $$ for grading) or just the 2011 S?

I'd love to get folks' thoughts on this.

Also, how many sets are people planning to buy?
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am very interested in people's grading plans: grading them all FS in hopes of a FS70 set (BIG $$ for grading) or just the 2011 S? I'd love to get folks' thoughts on this. Also, how many sets are people planning to buy? >>

1) Not planning on grading any of them right now

2) As many as I can lay my hands on, providing the mintage stays below 150k or so.

I think the collector base for SAEs is well known and well established, and... at least 5 times the current mintage estimates for this set. IMO, this set is a can't miss...
    I really don't know what to do with the set? Keep in OGP, send all 5 coins off for grading, or break out the 2011-S & 2011 RP and send the 69-70's off for grading. I'm leaning toward the latter...

Well, I was a bit curious about the premium differentials for this question, and when I looked, it was the 2006-W Burnished ASE in MS-70 FS that has the big premium, not the RP. Of course, the 2011-S and the 2011-(W)? RP may be a different story.

In the gold Anniversary Set, the big premium coin is the 2006-W Proof in PR-70 FS, and not the RP.

If you're into FS labels, it's hard to know which of the 5 Anniversary ASEs won't be submitted in quantities that will cause it to be a "rare label". I'm inclined to think that the Burnished "W" or the regular Proof have a better chance of being the lowest pop in 70 FS.

OTOH, I'll be happy just to get my order accepted, I think.

I knew it would happen.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭
    Yes the MS W in the 06 Anniversary set does still go for a good premium. The NGC MS 70s ones at least are going for over $200 more than the reverse proof 70's. My guess is people want complete 70 sets and are filling in the holes.
    Wow Drei3ree, AWESOME price you got on your plat. Congrats!

<< <i>Wow Drei3ree, AWESOME price you got on your plat. Congrats! >>

Thanks. I'll sheepishly admit that it amazes me the premium some folks will pay for a label (guess that's true with Coach, POLO, Nike, etc. too)...but as long as they do, I'm willing to play the game! image
  • WDHWDH Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    For the experts on the Mint's repricing policy. Why is there no emergency reprice LOWER when the price of gold tanks, but let the price rise substantially, then it's another story?
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought all of the PR70DC 2008-W platinum 1/10 FS I could find throughout the summer and Fall of 2008--there are 35 First Strikes and I have quite a few of them. I don't know of a public sale where I wasn't the high bidder. Since then, to my knowledge, none have been offered for sale. Well, two days ago I decided to test the water...eBay My auction lasted all of 5 minutes.

I have mixed feelings; glad they're still those who want them, but regret losing one...image >>

I graded two 2008 MS70 first strike sets. The number of these that exist are even lower.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For the experts on the Mint's repricing policy. Why is there no emergency reprice LOWER when the price of gold tanks, but let the price rise substantially, then it's another story? >>

They get fired if they lose money but get to keep their jobs if they make money. Those factors may be the reason they jump faster when the price of gold goes up.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>I graded two 2008 MS70 first strike sets. The number of these that exist are even lower. >>

That's true. I like the burnished, but the majority of people gravitate toward the proofs because they're "prettier," therefore, higher ROI.
    ...another problem (I hate calling it a problem) with the burnished is the sales numbers for the three years are all very close. The sales numbers for the 2008-W $10 and the next lowest 2004-W is greater than any of the plats. Sorry, but I haven't updated my chart:

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For the experts on the Mint's repricing policy. Why is there no emergency reprice LOWER when the price of gold tanks, but let the price rise substantially, then it's another story? >>

It's the "Gas Station syndrome." You know, when the price of oil goes up, the price at the pump changes that day but when the price goes down, it takes weeks for the pump price to go down.

<< <i>

I graded two 2008 MS70 first strike sets. The number of these that exist are even lower. >>

WOW, those are FANTASTIC sets!! Congrats!
    A Mint rep just told me that the ASE 25th anniv sets go on sale Oct 27.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A Mint rep just told me that the ASE 25th anniv sets go on sale Oct 27. >>

Wish it was Sep 27.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • When Gold reprices this week, Will First Spouses & The Unc. one ounce Gold Eagle Spike in sales. possibly the 2008-w $10 unc. gold eagle will hold as the over all low mintage gold eagle?

When Gold reprices this week, Will First Spouses & The Unc. one ounce Gold Eagle Spike in sales. possibly the 2008-w $10 unc. gold eagle will hold as the over all low mintage gold eagle?

Enough people got roughed up this past week in the gold market, and the Mint charges a high enough premium for it's gold products that I don't think we'll be seeing a spike in sales, at least not for awhile.

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>Clawdia, my comments are based on pricing prior to today's hit on gold, which is real but I suspect temporary...

The 2007-W burnished AGE Sets seem to have been on a steady climb, and recent ebay transactions have pushed the NGC-70 ER Set and the Raw Set to up over $4,000. The only record of a PCGS-70 Set being sold was for $3,660 and it's anyone's guess how long ago that was, because I don't log in each sales date. The 2007-W burnished AGE Sets have been trending upwards consistantly in every flavor for quite awhile now.

The 1/4 oz. 2008-W burnished AGE has kept its premium and has been rangebound with a very slight upward bias for a long time. Current ebay transactions have put the price somewhere in the $1,250 to $1,350 range for MS-69 and Raw coins, and in the range of $1,450 to $1,650 for MS-70 coins. There is some variability from one sale to the next.

Individually, the 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. 2007-W AGEs have done well. The 1/4 ozer in MS-69 and Raw, has been sold in the $550 to $750 range and the MS-70 has sold in the $625 to $900 range - both with a slight upward bias, but both with huge swings in prices realized from one sale to the next. The 1/2 ozer has been moving up strongly until just recently. It will take a few more sales to see if this is a top, or whether the trend will continue upwards. The 1/2 ozer has sold in MS-69 from $1,300 to $1,450 and in MS-70 and Raw in the $1,450 to $1,750 range with wide variations from one sale to the next.

Today's selloff in gold will probably affect these prices and it may take a few weeks for a consolidation to reflect any new pricing. Hope this helps. >>

Thanks very much - that helps quite a bit - and makes me feel better, too. As a newbie back in 2008, I picked up some 2007-W coins without even realizing there was anything special about them. That set of 2007-W Eagles aren't graded, but are still in the box as they were sold by the Mint. By the time I bought the 2008-W $10 coins, I knew more what I was doing.

One further question, if you happen to see this - I have several slabbed MS69 2007-W $5 coins. Now, I realize I was a real idiot not to pay the ebay seller the additional $10 he was asking for MS70s that day, but would you know if these 69s are worth a premium? I only bought slabbed coins with any rarity value when I bought them for the same price as what bullion coins were going for at the time, so it seems in some cases I may have 'accidentally' made a little money, but I'm not sure if these would fall into that profitable category.

My only intentional purchases of anything other than bullion were the three 2008-W $10 coins I bought, a Prosperity Set, and a couple of fractional buffs. I too think the recent hits on gold are going to be temporary, but even if not I can't complain.

I'm also still wondering if I should pick up a Buchanan spouse (or non-spouse, rather) coin to complete my sub-set. I'm tempted, recently, for sure - tempted to sell my MS-70 Elizabeth Monroe and buy the Buchanan instead - not only would I like the complete sub-set, but Elizabeth is a bit hard on the eyes as far as I'm concerned!

<< <i>

<< <i>Clawdia, my comments are based on pricing prior to today's hit on gold, which is real but I suspect temporary...

Today's selloff in gold will probably affect these prices and it may take a few weeks for a consolidation to reflect any new pricing. Hope this helps. >>

Thanks very much - that helps quite a bit - and makes me feel better, too. As a newbie back in 2008, I picked up some 2007-W coins without even realizing there was anything special about them. That set of 2007-W Eagles aren't graded, but are still in the box as they were sold by the Mint. By the time I bought the 2008-W $10 coins, I knew more what I was doing.

One further question, if you happen to see this - I have several slabbed MS69 2007-W $5 coins. Now, I realize I was a real idiot not to pay the ebay seller the additional $10 he was asking for MS70s that day, but would you know if these 69s are worth a premium? I only bought slabbed coins with any rarity value when I bought them for the same price as what bullion coins were going for at the time, so it seems in some cases I may have 'accidentally' made a little money, but I'm not sure if these would fall into that profitable category.

My only intentional purchases of anything other than bullion were the three 2008-W $10 coins I bought, a Prosperity Set, and a couple of fractional buffs. I too think the recent hits on gold are going to be temporary, but even if not I can't complain.

I'm also still wondering if I should pick up a Buchanan spouse (or non-spouse, rather) coin to complete my sub-set. I'm tempted, recently, for sure - tempted to sell my MS-70 Elizabeth Monroe and buy the Buchanan instead - not only would I like the complete sub-set, but Elizabeth is a bit hard on the eyes as far as I'm concerned! >>

Hi Clawdia-

Which 2008 W $10 coins did you buy? If they were the AGE Uncs. you did very, very well as they are currently the keys to the entire AGE series.
    Clawdia, I wouldn't feel too bad about the $5 2007-W AGEs. Based on my data, the MS-69 is probably around $180, give or take $10, and the MS-70 is probably around $230 plus or minus $20.

I'd also re-emphasize what Raufus said - if you have the $10 2008-W Burnished AGE, then you have the key to the whole AGE series in all denominations. If it is the 2008-W Proof AGE, then its good, but not the key.

I knew it would happen.
    The 2011 American Gold Eagle Uncirculated W is showing red. Is it a 6K mintage? I pulled the trigger. Backordered to 10/14. Too late to mint more?
    The buchanan unc went backorder around this time a year ago and they ended up minting more.
    I usually play chicken with the mint. If the product goes off from being backordered I will cancel. Most times it doesn't work out. I placed more orders on the 08 Gold W Buffalos and 08 Platinums when they went red. Eventually these were never filled. Though I thought the 2011 One Ounce Proof was in the red but is no longer. So maybe they will mint more.
    I think with gold down more were ordered and more will ne minted.

<< <i>I'd also re-emphasize what Raufus said - if you have the $10 2008-W Burnished AGE, then you have the key to the whole AGE series in all denominations. If it is the 2008-W Proof AGE, then its good, but not the key. >>

Why isn't the 1999-W $10 considered key?
    6k will make it the key, but then there's next year's ......... The 2008 1/4 ounce W is a locked key until the mint decides to make more fractional AGE W fractionals. Could happen. This 2011 1 oz AGE W is not a guaranteed low mintage key because of future issues.

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd also re-emphasize what Raufus said - if you have the $10 2008-W Burnished AGE, then you have the key to the whole AGE series in all denominations. If it is the 2008-W Proof AGE, then its good, but not the key. >>

Why isn't the 1999-W $10 considered key? >>

I guess because rightly or wrongly it's thought of as an error coin and there are fewer collectors who view it essential to the series. What would help it would be some official word from the mint on how many were struck but after 12 years that seems unlikely. Until then al we have are estimates and my opinion is most guesses on this coin are on the low side.
  • If you collect $10 mint state gold in NGC or PCGS slabs or ICG slabs and you do so by the listings then the 1999-w is the rarest of the mint marked bunch most certainly if you collect in 69 or 70 grade. The Mint is showing a strong tendency to slap mint marks on mint state issues from time to time in low mintage runs. This tendency increases the likelyhood of collectors collecting by date and mint mark not just date. Most collectors with money dont just want all of the mint marked gold "except for" the mint marked one nobody can explain.

I think over time the 99-w is the coin that has potential to lock you out in high grade. About half the coins that show up in the pop reports dont exit. The number of real $10 99-w mint state gold eagles found after 11 years is no more than 2,000 coins.
    The 1999-W is in all of the TPG's sets, IMO it's not a Mint error, and with only one PCGS 70, you can bet the 69 pop is inflated many fold. At some point, 1/4 99-W will more than likely be the key gold and likely the key of all modern US Mint coins. Some of the APEs are close, but the 99-W has undoubtedly had greater attrition.

Edited to add: I almost forgot the Hags, present and future; guess my prediction could prove wrong...image
    That PCGS MS 70 is on ebay for $39,000.

<< <i>That PCGS MS 70 is on ebay for $39,000. >>

No way I touch that! You gotta think some of the 69s will eventually get bumped up.
    I think they are minting more of th AGE MS W 1 oz. The backorder date dropped back 3 days earlier than before. I will see if it changes tomorrow again.
  • << That PCGS MS 70 is on ebay for $39,000. >>

No way I touch that! You gotta think some of the 69s will eventually get bumped up.

I agree.

Also I think that the 11-w unc gold eagle will be back for a while. Hard to say how long though and I dont think they are making more. I think they are going to be good coins but nothing like the 2011 S silver dollars.

I figure they've minted at least 20,000 of the 2011-w $50s, and with gold down they should sell out. I agree on the 25th silver set...if the Mint sells less than 248,875 it's a definite gift from Uncle Sugar!

Say Experts/Aficionados -- Would the smart investor keep these in OGP, send the 11-S & RP to be graded, or send them all to PCGS?
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Say Experts/Aficionados -- Would the smart investor keep these in OGP, send the 11-S & RP to be graded, or send them all to PCGS? >>

Send them to PCGS ASAP. Lock in as many MS/RP70's as possible. You can always crack out the MS/RP68's and place them back in the OGP.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file