Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

Surprisingly, they still had the MOH's listed yesterday. I didn't notice if the Army's were still there though. I'm very impressed with MCM. I make it a point now to check them every few days to see what they've got.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, missed the boat on those. Was too busy watching my portfolio evaporate....
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    Eric-

I - and I'm sure others - are very interested in your take on the MOH and Army Uncs.

Thanks!! R-

Yeah, I know. I feel your pain image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I - and I'm sure others - are very interested in your take on the MOH and Army Uncs.

I am not he who you seek, but I can offer a speculative opinion. If this forum doesn't drive the sales past 7,500 these commems will quadruple in less than 15 years.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • As for the $5 Mint State Gold. Jackie R. has a mintage of 5,174. The 1996 dates are in the 9,000 (Flag, Cauldron, Smithsonian) that are priced at $2,250, 2,000 and $1,800. The Visitor Center has a mintage of 6,761 and is priced at $2,200. The 1995 Stadium has a mintage of 10,579 and is priced at $2,100

Edited....These prices are for MS70 PCGS

<< <i>I - and I'm sure others - are very interested in your take on the MOH and Army Uncs.

I am not he who you seek, but I can offer a speculative opinion. If this forum doesn't drive the sales past 7,500 these commems will quadruple in less than 15 years.image >>

Imagine what the MS70 Army halves will be - NGC lists a total pop of just 13. And the race is on! image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I - and I'm sure others - are very interested in your take on the MOH and Army Uncs.

I am not he who you seek, but I can offer a speculative opinion. If this forum doesn't drive the sales past 7,500 these commems will quadruple in less than 15 years.image >>

Imagine what the MS70 Army halves will be - NGC lists a total pop of just 13. And the race is on! image >>

I made a post about the halves! They're showing more promise than the gold coins, me thinks. Sales have stalled at 35k. I got one this week and MAN is it scuffy! No wonder there's so many MS68s on eBay and so few 70s.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • I have vowed not to buy anything that is not silver or gold. I may have to break that vow and pick up a few. Not a huge outlay
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

That is a big "if" when they hold the price near melt.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    I bought the MS Gold MOH only because I like Minerva.

<< <i>I bought the MS Gold MOH only because I like Minerva. >>

Get a room.imageimage
    Just noting an interesting development today. Gold surpassed platinum. Not sure how often that happens but thought it was worth noting today. Here is a line I pulled from 2007 on this thread. "coinsponge.....platinum will always be worth more than gold and gold more than silver....."
    Oops, guess not.
    It's always dangerous to say "never" or "always".
  • ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭
    "coinsponge.....platinum will always be worth more than gold and gold more than silver"
    well, you were half right image
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    >I bought the MS Gold MOH only because I like Minerva.

She is super hot! ;-)

-Keith

<< <i>I am not he who you seek, but I can offer a speculative opinion. If this forum doesn't drive the sales past 7,500 these commems will quadruple in less than 15 years.image >>

That is a big "if" when they hold the price near melt. >>

Thanks for your insight.

I can't believe that they have not repriced the Army and MOH golds yet. Essentially melt. If gold keeps going up - quite possible - soon they'll be below melt.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to derail the thread, but Victory (Minerva? should be Victory) has a curiously happy grin on her face as she dismounts the cannon; Freud would have had a field day with this one!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    This is a good looking coin. Why are they being shunned?

~ Vince Lombardi
    I agree. It is a very nice looking coin. I don't get it either. The proceeds also go to a great cause.

• << <i>This is a good looking coin. Why are they being shunned? >>

I dunno, I like what I see!

They seem like a decent buy at the moment. Long terms...who knows, they might follow spot. I'd be curious to see Eric J's take on these too.

I find it interesting that they haven't been repriced. I guess commems aren't actively repriced? If gold makes a big jump tomorrow these could be a steal. But I'd expect a correction with gold anytime now.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a good looking coin. Why are they being shunned? >>

I dunno, I like what I see!

They seem like a decent buy at the moment. Long terms...who knows, they might follow spot. I'd be curious to see Eric J's take on these too.

I find it interesting that they haven't been repriced. I guess commems aren't actively repriced? If gold makes a big jump tomorrow these could be a steal. But I'd expect a correction with gold anytime now. >>

Hi PF-

What I don't get is why the buff and the AGEs were re-priced and not these. This is especially hard to understand as gold goes sharply higher and these approach and may soon be lower than spot.

Eric, what say you about these. We'd love to know :-)

Those Visitor Center ones look terrible & they go for big bucks. I would think these would have great upside potential.

~ Vince Lombardi
    These are MUCH better looking than Jackie or CVS to be sure. I think that it will all come down to mintage. If these get yanked, they'll be fantastic. Of course, if they stay around so close to spot for months on end they may well end up generic. Hard to tell I think at this point.
    I just checked Coinfacts and an MS69 2001 Capitol Visitor Center recently sold on feebay for $2020.

~ Vince Lombardi
    As of the last printed issue of NN the Army and MOH uncs were about 640 lower in mintage than the CVS. Who knows how many sold this week.

I have no doubt that even if the Army and MOH unc. surpass the CVS but only by a little that they'll be just killer. If they stay on sale for months at near spot and end up over 8K or so they may be less so but still nice.

It's just hard at this point to know how long that they will remain on sale, how they will sell as such low margins to spot, etc.

<< <i>I just checked Coinfacts and an MS69 2001 Capitol Visitor Center recently sold on feebay for $2020. >>

That really is amazing. It seems like it was not that long ago when I was unable to sell an NGC MS70 for under a grand....
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question for gang ... is there any logical reason why (2) MOH $5 gold coins (roughly 1/2 oz. of gold) with close to a 6,500 mintage already (and possibly going up from there) should be worth more than say a 1/2 oz. Buchanan $10 Liberty MS with an even lower mintage and part of the prized Liberty Unc. series? Each sells for about the same as the other right now (i.e. -2- MOH vs. -1- Buchanan)? Thoughts?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

I noticed that as well. Really surprised me. All I can think of is that lately so many expensive products have come out of the mint, coupled with a poor economy, has had a dampening effect on demand and price.

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>Question for gang ... is there any logical reason why (2) MOH $5 gold coins (roughly 1/2 oz. of gold) with close to a 6,500 mintage already (and possibly going up from there) should be worth more than say a 1/2 oz. Buchanan $10 Liberty MS with an even lower mintage and part of the prized Liberty Unc. series? Each sells for about the same as the other right now (i.e. -2- MOH vs. -1- Buchanan)? Thoughts?

Wondercoin >>

I hadn't thought about it but it is a good question. How many folks are buying two? The MOH certainly have the visibility right now as a coin available from the Mint at a decent price during a gold run. However, (unless you're buying for topic specifically) I think the Bucks are the better buy if you're looking for a 1/2 oz gold--and if the two are around the same price. I still think the Bucks have good longterm potential--I'd expect better than MOH due to it being in a series and one of the better designs and in that series. Not to mention the mintages bit. My two cents ---PF
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I think the Buch unc were hoarded so that is holding prices down for now, especially when you compare them to the real uglies with sub 4000 mintages.

PS if that MOH keeps doing 200 a week it could hit 10,000 mintage by the end of the year.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question for gang ... is there any logical reason why (2) MOH $5 gold coins (roughly 1/2 oz. of gold) with close to a 6,500 mintage already (and possibly going up from there) should be worth more than say a 1/2 oz. Buchanan $10 Liberty MS with an even lower mintage and part of the prized Liberty Unc. series? Each sells for about the same as the other right now (i.e. -2- MOH vs. -1- Buchanan)? Thoughts?

Wondercoin >>

The Buchanan MS has the second highest mintage in the Liberty series, substantially higher than the Jackson and Van Buren. So it's not a stopper for anyone attempting to complete the set of 4. Also, the non-Spouse gold commems are more widely collected than the spouses - the key Jackie Robinson unc. is worth considerably more than several spouses with lower mintages.

I have another question for the gang: why is the 2007-W burnished half-ounce Gold Eagle (mintage 11.4K) worth 5 times as much as the 2008-W 1/10 ounce burnished Gold Eagle (mintage 12.6K). Both are the keys to their respective denominations, but I would think that the 1/10 ounce would be much more popular with collectors due to the affordability of a complete set. (For comparison, there are more than 3 times as many 1/10 ounce registry sets as there are half-ounce registry sets.)

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Halfstrike - As you point out, we have instances where once a $5 gold commem hits a 10,000 mintage or so, it can be worth only around melt from that point (ex: $5 SLC). Hence, a risk with these 2011 $5 commems (but of course they could be good if the mint stopped selling them tomorrow).

Overdate - Remember, a few months back on another thread here I pointed out when proof Bucks were trading at close to 2x the price of MS Bucks that I personally liked the MS Bucks much better on a price basis. Now, the coins are within $100 of each other, if that much (the Unc bucks moved up sharply with the spot gold price while the proof bucks essentially did nothing as spot gold skyrocketed in price). And, if spot gold keep rising, the bucks may well have a problem gaining much of a premium at all above spot IMHO (as many other coins are facing with skyrocketing gold spot levels). Yes, that might change a few years from now, but, on the other hand, if gold hits $3,000/oz in a few years, what is the chance that a proof buck will sell for a meaningful premium above $1,500 for a raw coin?

And, ready for this bombshell .... IMHO, the MS buck may well be just as popular as the proof buck with new collectors in the future who chase the far lower mintage of the MS buck and could care less where each coin "ranks" within its MS vs. proof standings as compared to the absolute lower mintage figure of the MS buck vis a vis the Proof Buck. In fact, we are seeing a bit of that right now... the proof buck is going nowhere while the MS buck has come within about 10% of the value of the proof buck already (when just a short while ago it was nearly a 2:1 ratio of value between the 2 coins... and I know it was more like 75%-80% premium for the proof buck when folks were going crazy grabbing proof bucks as quickly as they could after they surprisingly "sold out", which is why I said "nearly" 2:1). Those buyers of proof bucks in the aftermarket would have done FAR better buying MS bucks and riding the tide of spot gold.

Thanks for the interesting discussion, even if you disagree with me.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    It seems to me that they would let the MOH run the full year unless it hits the mintage limits since it is a fund raiser. If they pull it down to reprice later that might slow the pace down.
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    I bet both 2011 $5 commems will surprise many with how many they sold this week and the talk about potential low mintage of them will soon be forgotten. Think sales in the thousands since last Friday.
  • I would disagree with the last few days sales - this is a free call option on gold and many of them will be cancelled/returned if the gold falls while they ship and within 1 week of return period. I've ordered a few myself and will see how it goes. However the sales number will still be recorded....
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    To Overdate's question, you probably already know the answer--there just aren't enough collectors to soak up the supply. The economy plus high bullion prices have thrown modern series collecting in disarray, IMO, and it'll take a while to see how it shakes out. I think that some of these coins might be pretty good buying opportunities, especially some of the "W" coins, but who can say?

And even though I like low mintages, I'm glad the MOH is showing some life. It's a gorgeous design, though I don't know what the designer was thinking with that big cannon! image
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • When you back out the surcharge for the sponsoring organization it is very surprising they were not pulled for repricing when gold hit $1,700.

In case of MOH it is a very attractive design.

In case of the Army commemorative there are a lot of people with potential interest.............certainly a much larger base to appeal to than the vast majority of U.S. Mint commemorative offerings.
    And even though I like low mintages, I'm glad the MOH is showing some life. It's a gorgeous design, though I don't know what the designer was thinking with that big cannon! image >>

Speak softly and carry a big cannon? I was thinking wouldn't it be refreshing if they would try a few designs like this on our regular circulating coinage. I am so tired of portraits. I am ready for another Teddy Roosevelt in more ways than one. He had big cannons with big cannon balls.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << IMHO, the MS buck may well be just as popular as the proof buck with new collectors in the future who chase the far lower mintage of the MS buck and could care less where each coin "ranks" within its MS vs. proof standings as compared to the absolute lower mintage figure of the MS buck vis a vis the Proof Buck. >>

If the MS Buchanan were a stand-alone coin I might agree with you. But it isn't. It's part of a 4-coin subset that is considerably scarcer and more expensive in MS than in proof. Add in the factor that the proof is much more attractive than the MS (which is the reason that proofs from the Mint routinely outsell uncs. during initial ordering periods).

Bottom line, I think the proof 4-coin Liberty subset (with the Buchanan as a key) will be *much* more popular with collectors in the long run, and the MS Buchanan will get little attention within the MS 4-coin subset because of the much lower mintages of the Jackson and Van Buren. At today's prices, I think that the proof Buchanan is a screaming buy regardless of the future price of gold, while the future of the MS Buchanan is very much tied to its bullion value.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Overdate ... I knew you would say that. image

Wondercoin
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Some comparisons can be made with the UNC vs Proof gold Buffaloes of 2008, the Proof must be in greater demand.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some comparisons can be made with the UNC vs Proof gold Buffaloes of 2008, the Proof must be in greater demand. >>

We may even see this with the MOH and Army commemoratives. Though the proofs have out sold the UNC prior to the increase in gold, the buying frenzy of the UNC's may decrease future demand when compared to the proofs.

With the First Strike window closed (though there may still be eligible cons out there), there is currently only 29 DC PR70 MOH coins out there (43 Army). I can see some future potential in those 29 proofs and maybe even the 43 Army coins.
    With the First Strike window closed (though there may still be eligible cons out there), there is currently only 29 DC PR70 MOH coins out there (43 Army). I can see some future potential in those 29 proofs and maybe even the 43 Army coins. >>

Oh yes, how many remain in their cardboard cages ready to (first) strike?
    I look at it this way. There may be a few "flipper" who bought within the 30 days even with the huge premium at the time just to sit on them. However, for the most part, I believe collectors and gift givers bought them and the boxes have since been open.

Only time will tell.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still looking at the army half dollar uncs are potential winners. Last week the mint sold 55 of them (Total now just over 35k) yet over 1100 MOH gold proof coins! I have yet to see a PCGS MS70, first strike or otherwise. Unless there's some frenzied buying the Unc Army halfs won't break 40k. (A new low)
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

<< <i>I'm still looking at the army half dollar uncs are potential winners. Last week the mint sold 55 of them (Total now just over 35k) yet over 1100 MOH gold proof coins! I have yet to see a PCGS MS70, first strike or otherwise. Unless there's some frenzied buying the Unc Army halfs won't break 40k. (A new low) >>

I agree. I can't find the PCGS Pop report on them or the proofs.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    Mint wants to get rid of these MS MOH Gold Commems. I ordered on the 9th and its ready to ship. They usually have my order on hold for at least 3-5 days. Times have changed. I need 4 new tires and they cost the same as this 1/4 oz MS MOH Gold Commem.
    I cancelled my order and bought a Bushmaster and a bunch of accessories instead.

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm still looking at the army half dollar uncs are potential winners. Last week the mint sold 55 of them (Total now just over 35k) yet over 1100 MOH gold proof coins! I have yet to see a PCGS MS70, first strike or otherwise. Unless there's some frenzied buying the Unc Army halfs won't break 40k. (A new low) >>

I agree. I can't find the PCGS Pop report on them or the proofs. >>

Across the street that's a pop 13 coin. I imagine there would be quite a frenzy if one ever appeared on feebay.
    Probably would be similar to the reception the first pucks got last December. image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Interesting, yes the MS Bucks are certainly catching up with the PR Bucks. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, especially when the holidays roll around.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file