Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Julia is likely to hold out as low against Unc Pierce but not by much. Pierce is under valued but not as under valued as when we could by them from the mint. The very low mintage on Pierce was announced prior to sell out and that was the time to buy.

Eric

Just my best quess >>

Thanks Eric!!

I tried to order from The Mint as soon as they went red but the order was cancelled.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    The very low mintage on Pierce was announced on this board well prior to sell out and that was the time to buy.

Eric

Just my best quess >>

The problem is that before sell out you just don't know how they will end. You never know if someone with deep pockets will make a last minute big buy and change things over night. I think now is a good time to get them if you want one. The only thing left is the final audit numbers. Just my opinion.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • "The problem is that before sell out you just don't know how they will end."

That depends on if you have been told how they are going to end or not. If there were only about 3250 coins I dont care if some dealer places a large last minute order or not.

Eric
  • Bought a couple ms69 pierces from MCM in the $800 range. Should still get a nice pop I'm thinking.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO it is nuts for 1996 ASE to sell for more than any of the W coins. >>

I have been buying the 2007-W Burnished ASE at a small premium to regular bullion ASEs. The 2006-W and the 2008-W are hard to buy at the same low levels as the 2007-W ASEs.

• << <i>

I have been buying the 2007-W Burnished ASE at a small premium to regular bullion ASEs. The 2006-W and the 2008-W are hard to buy at the same low levels as the 2007-W ASEs. >>

The 2007 beeing the highest mintage of the 3. 2006's have carried a premium for years on the bay as the percieved lowest mintage of the W's. The 08's minus the (08 reverse O7's) are the lowest mintage? Maybe it doesn't matter-but a few years ago I bought a bunch of each but more 08's. 07's were 20, 08's were 30 and 06's were in the 50's at that time. Want to think silver was at 15 at the time.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices appear to be rising rapidly for First Spouse coins such as the two Tylers and the Liberty subset. Is there a promotion in the works or is it just collectors/investors looking for low-mintage bargains?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• << <i>

<< <i>

I have been buying the 2007-W Burnished ASE at a small premium to regular bullion ASEs. The 2006-W and the 2008-W are hard to buy at the same low levels as the 2007-W ASEs. >>

The 2007 beeing the highest mintage of the 3. 2006's have carried a premium for years on the bay as the percieved lowest mintage of the W's. The 08's minus the (08 reverse O7's) are the lowest mintage? Maybe it doesn't matter-but a few years ago I bought a bunch of each but more 08's. 07's were 20, 08's were 30 and 06's were in the 50's at that time. Want to think silver was at 15 at the time. >>

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Perhaps it is because we spend so much time discussing gold and platinum issues that we tend yo give short shift to the ASEs.
    There are apparently a large number of bullion ASE collectors who still like to fill albums. When and if the album makers add slots for the various W issues including the 07/08 then the relative low mintages of the W coins compared to the millions of bullion coins will really stand out. We all know how frustrating it is to have an album nearly full except for one or two slots.

<< <i>Prices appear to be rising rapidly for First Spouse coins such as the two Tylers and the Liberty subset. Is there a promotion in the works or is it just collectors/investors looking for low-mintage bargains? >>

I don't think there is a promotion. Just supply/demand factors. Where are you seeing the changes? I looked on ebay and it seems like the same pricing that has been there for a month or so but maybe I missed something.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think there is a promotion. Just supply/demand factors. Where are you seeing the changes? I looked on ebay and it seems like the same pricing that has been there for a month or so but maybe I missed something. >>

Listings for many recent First Spouse coins have become sparse, but I'm noticing prices seem to be on the increase for actual completed true auctions. Examples: $1516 (including shipping) for an NGC MS69 Van Buren. $1811 and $1724 for raw unc. and proof Julias, respectively (with OGP). $1275 and $1255 for raw proof and unc. Anna Harrison, respectively (with boxes and papers). $1180 (including shipping) for raw unc. Elizabeth Monroe (with OGP).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think there is a promotion. Just supply/demand factors. Where are you seeing the changes? I looked on ebay and it seems like the same pricing that has been there for a month or so but maybe I missed something. >>

Listings for many recent First Spouse coins have become sparse, but I'm noticing prices seem to be on the increase for actual completed true auctions. Examples: $1516 (including shipping) for an NGC MS69 Van Buren. $1811 and $1724 for raw unc. and proof Julias, respectively (with OGP). $1275 and $1255 for raw proof and unc. Anna Harrison, respectively (with boxes and papers). $1180 (including shipping) for raw unc. Elizabeth Monroe (with OGP). >>

Oh, now I see. I mostly follow PCGS graded coins and haven't followed that raw coins as much. I have noticed that offerings are becoming scarce on ebay for some of the ultra low mintage Spouses. For so long it seems that the raw coins were following the price of gold but now it seems that a decent numismatic premium is developing for the very low mintage Spouses because they just aren't out there in big numbers. What is exciting about these is that the hobby is dynamic and increasing values create more interest over time. We could see this trend continue for awhile.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Prices are rising, the cat is out of the bag on these now.
  • Rats, I was hoping the 2011 and 2012 issues would be the sleepers. If I was ever going to collect the non-liberties, it would be these no-names (no offense intended). The fact that the prices are rising places a spotlight on these. Argh.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • If gold price remains at this level, it could be 3 price levels above the Mary Lincoln's issue price.

If the average gold price for next week is $1550 - $1599:
    UNC Spouse : $941
    Proof Spouse : $954

It should be interesting to see how inelastic the collector demand is.
    Will $1,000 be the breaking point?
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Platinum making a nice climb up to $1872, just in time for the one-ounce platinum eagle going on sale next month. According to the pricing grid, it'll be $2192. Who's buying?! Did they ever decide on the pretty woman design?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    It is just my hunch but I am starting to wonder just how many $10 1999-w unc. gold eagles are really out there. On ebay there are currently five active auctions for ICG and ANACS MS70's, and another one which just sold a few days ago. If there are that many 70's from the 2nd-tier graders then how many lesser ones are out there. Last December or so Apmex had six raw examples in stock. These of course do not show up in the pop. reports. You have the Leidman horde, where one individual is offering nearly 100 of them, (and may be holding more in reserve?). That's just one guy. Then the big unknown --- how many might be lurking in vaults for IRA storage. I have no idea, but they did mint a whopping half-million quarter-ouncers that year. Something to chew on.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is just my hunch but I am starting to wonder just how many $10 1999-w unc. gold eagles are really out there. >>

One of my local dealers found a whole roll of 1/4 OZ in his stash a few years back. He bought them back in 1999. I would imagine he still has them. Too bad he doesn't submit coins to TPGS.
  • There have been ABOUT 2000 1999w quarter gold eagles found so far. We have no reason to expect that there are not at least another 1 to 4 thousand to find. Why anyone would get worked up about some new raw coins I dont understand. The coin have been coming out in the 100+ coins per year range for the last few years and this is likely to continue.

Eric

PS: We have a LONG way to go to 8,883
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they ever decide on the pretty woman design?

The last report I saw seemed to indicate that most member on both of the committees were leaning in that direction. In typical Mint fashion, they don't think it's important to let anyone know what they've decided. "Let them eat cake - take it or leave it" seems to be their attitude despite what their PR dept always implies with their survey results.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

• << <i>There have been ABOUT 2000 1999w quarter gold eagles found so far. We have no reason to expect that there are not at least another 1 to 4 thousand to find. Why anyone would get worked up about some new raw coins I dont understand. The coin have been coming out in the 100+ coins per year range for the last few years and this is likely to continue.

Eric

PS: We have a LONG way to go to 8,883 >>

I'm fairly new to the game here. Where can I get the story on the 1999 W?
  • PCGS 99942 - 1999-W $10 Eagle Unfinished PR Dies
    From CoinFactsWiki
    Jump to: navigation, search

In 1999 in the midst of the Y2K gold buying panic, West Point Mint production exploded, forcing lax quality control and either intentionally or unintentionally unpolished proof dies were used to strike a few “W” mint marked issues late in the year. The 1999-w gold eagles were occasionally given the title “error” coins even though there is nothing out of the ordinary except the presence of a “W” mintmark. PCGS, NGC, The Red Book and The US Coin Digest all now correctly describe the coins as 1999-W uncirculated gold eagles "struck with unfinished proof dies" because that’s what they in fact are. Interesting titles aside, they are nothing more than mint state gold with West Point mintmarks as are their 2006-W, 2007-W and 2008-W $10 gold siblings (the so-called burnished gold issues).

The 1999-W $10 Gold Eagles were struck under the same circumstances as their $5 siblings but fewer of them are showing up in the combined population reports from PCGS and NGC. There are very few dealers that inventory these coins and fresh raw rolls over the last two years (2008-2009) have been almost non-existent. Most growth in the population reports as small as they are have been are from attractive previously submitted coins being cracked out of their holders and resubmitted in hopes of grading higher under the current more lenient standards.

The budgeted change out rate on the dies for this program is listed as 6,000 coins per die set according to Michael White at the US Mint Office of Public Affairs. As of the fourth quarter of 2009 only about 2,300 $10 1999-W gold eagles have shown up in the combined NGC and PCGS reports including resubmits. This begs the question: If the $5 and $10 gold eagles both were each run for one set of dies then why are there significantly more $5 coins than there are $10 coins? One likely explanation is the mint in this period was striking on average 7,500 $5 coins a day but just 1,500 $10 Gold Eagles. It is completely possible that the $5 dies were run slightly beyond the Mint's expected average while the larger coins were not. It is also possible that the $10 dies were damaged and taken out of service early. An entire roll of the 1999-W Gold Eagle quarters showed up at PCGS with obvious identical die damage on Ms. Liberty's leg, according to the late PCGS employee Nick Buzolich. Further research on this topic can be found in the PCGS Coinfacts archive and the Krause Publications text titled "Modern Commemorative Coins".

Red Book contributor Fred Weinberg who actively researched both of the fractional 1999-W issues at the time of their release found that some of the coins were sent to Jewelry fabricators in Asia.(citation?) It’s a process that’s not kind to high-grade moderns.

It is likely that the $10 1999-W is the key to the entire fractional gold eagle series. Like so many things in life we will not know the fate of the 1999-W gold quarter until after the fact but it looks like this coin will be to this set what the 1909-O is to the half eagle Indians.

• << <i>

I'm fairly new to the game here. Where can I get the story on the 1999 W? >>

Or you can buy Eric's book.

If you go to the first page of this thread, you can also download a few chapters.

I think it is a must have for anyone who is new and also interested in Modern coins.
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86

• << <i>

<< <i>

I'm fairly new to the game here. Where can I get the story on the 1999 W? >>

Or you can buy Eric's book.

If you go to the first page of this thread, you can also download a few chapters.

I think it is a must have for anyone who is new and also interested in Modern coins. >>

Its on the way. Very good and interesting stuff. Appreciate Erics insight.
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    The biggest hurdles for the $5 and $10 '99w's are 1) their mystery mintage --- will we be any closer to knowing their pops 10 yrs from now? more on that below --- and 2) the question of whether they will be definitively accepted as regular (non-error) coins in the series.

Why has the mint been able to release numbers for coins like the '08 reverse of '07 ASE's and the '07 frosted freedom plats, but not the '99-w? A firmer word from them would kickstart these. Maybe no-one has asked mint's PR folks directly, but from all I've ever read, the mint just doesn't know anything about these either.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Owwww....Ouchhhh....arghhhhhh.......eyes hurt.

Must look directly at UHR for relief. Better.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    Sleeper coin.

(or, Killer coin - as the case may be).image

I knew it would happen.
  • I have a 2007-W $10 gold American Eagle graded MS-70 Early Release and I'm trying to find out what a reasonable price would be for it. I can't find any ebay auctions for a comparable coin, but it seems I remember reading/hearing somewhere over the past few months that this coin might be worth a fairly nice premium.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to find the information, or knows the answer to the question, I'd appreciate the help!

• Duplicate Post image

• I use numismedia for an idea. The price is probably higher than what you can get for it but a decent idea. Does appear to be good premium for that critter imageLink for price
  • FIRST HAGS IS THE RIGHT NAME FOR MOST OF THESE COINS. Julia and the Liberty set look good but the rest are seriously ugly. Unless they are uncs under 3,400 mintage or proofs under 5,000 I dont even want them.

Eric

• << <i>I have a 2007-W $10 gold American Eagle graded MS-70 Early Release and I'm trying to find out what a reasonable price would be for it. I can't find any ebay auctions for a comparable coin, but it seems I remember reading/hearing somewhere over the past few months that this coin might be worth a fairly nice premium.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to find the information, or knows the answer to the question, I'd appreciate the help! >>

Answer:

Robert B Lecce Numismatics at P# 561-483-4744 has been buying 2007w $10 mint state gold for $725.

I dont know if he will buy from you but it does not hurt to ask.

Eric
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FIRST HAGS IS THE RIGHT NAME FOR MOST OF THESE COINS. Julia and the Liberty set look good but the rest are seriously ugly. Unless they are uncs under 3,400 mintage or proofs under 5,000 I dont even want them.

Eric >>

I agree Eric. Unless I suspect a very low mintage in a very low attractiveness coin, I will stay away with a vengance.

I have my Julias and others that have some level of appeal. I cannot reconcile those reverses. Cannot. I try.

Granted the obverses can keep an anxious child awake with fear at night; yet, at least there is just one grating image.

I have found my line in the sand. Whew. Good thing it's sand, though.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Thanks, guys. Don't know that I even want to sell it, but I'd forgotten that I had it until I was going thru my box the other day and something clicked that I might have something worth more than the average in this one. I found one listed on the bay last night for almost $1000, so it'll be interesting to see if it sells - of course, the fees will bring the end price far less than that to the seller.

Can't believe I'd forgotten it - had not forgotten about the three 2008-W $10 pieces I have, but that 2007-W had gone clear out of my mind.

Is the current thought on these burnished coins that they're a good hold for future appreciation or that they've seen their best days already?
    I haven't really kept up the past year or so, since I bought them for the long term and not for a flip, but now I'm curious.

• CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    2007-W & 2008-w Silver eagles Still selling for $50+ on Ebay. image the big melt down of silver price has not hit them much!
  • Why USM does not have published mintages for 2011 W AGE that went on sale yesterday?

Usually they put product limits - eg. "No Limits" or "American Eagle One Ounce Gold Proof Coin - Single Coin Product Limit: 30,000"
    but it's not there for 2011 W AGE ?
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 622 ✭✭✭
    FYI,

If you're buying from the Mint and if Gold stays below $1500, we'll see a price drop next Thursday.

If you're in no hurry, I'd wait.

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stated here in 2009 that the post Lincoln Hags will have the lowest mintage. Lower than Julia and Letitia. I still stand by that prediction. For me to own one of this year's fugly-hags the mintage will have to be 2,000/3,000 range. image
    What to you all think about the potential of the 2011 W one oz. AGE?
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still am not feeling the collector base on the "first hags". IMO these do not have a collector identity and are & have been most dangerous in developing a "slag heap" mentality with regards to recent US mint issues, dragging not only themselves down, but also coins like the platinum 2008 proof and unc. Ws,etc. Crank a "coin" out from the US mint with low mintage, regardless of its credibility as a coin, and the flippers play with it for a while and then let it ride & chase the next bit of sh-- to come along.

The one coin of recent manufacture (well, relatively recent anyway) that surprises me in terms of holding some value is the 1995W silver eagle proof. I just can not see this coin past maybe 1250 or so & do not see support for it...Are these just resting/toning away in the five coin sets laying around in stacks?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    Hag haters unite! Hope you feel better. They have been good to me. How many coins have been hated at one time but found appreciation later (maybe way later)?
    What to you all think about the potential of the 2011 W one oz. AGE?

The 2008-Ws haven't done as much as I thought they might. The 2011-Ws might be good, but we won't know how good until 2013 or so. The continuation of the "W"s in 1 oz. is probably a positive development for the series (and for the ultimate keys, whenever they may occur.) The Mint premium is always a consideration, especially at these higher gold prices - because I believe that the higher offering prices will continue to drive mintages and sales figures lower. I rate the potential as "better than average".image

I knew it would happen.
    Of course the 2008 W quarter has done fantastically well, but clearly because it's the key. I'll pass on the 2011 for now.

On another subject, who's buying the 2011 W Plat. 1 oz proof? I passed on the 2009 and 2010 as I knew that they would have high mintages relative to many other plats, but they still commanded very strong prices for reasons that I still don't understand. Will the 2011 do as well?
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I am a bit tempted by the 1-oz burnished unc-w gold, but don't see strong collector demand for it, nor am I convinced gold will keep zooming skyward. The Mint has made a serious PR mistake introducing these, then removing them, then introducing them again.

I totally agree with 7Jaguars on the First Spouses. Certain issues will be of certain interest for various reasons, but I can't see this series hanging together as a set any more than a Franklin Mint issue might have had back in the day. I will pick up one here and there, but the low mintages themselves don't spark my interest the way they would in a series of eagles, for instance. In fact, these First Spouses may even help strengthen the eagles as series by providing a contrast between "real" coins and what look like a series of medals.

I also think that none of this (i.e. true collector base) will really shake out until (and if) the economy improves, PMs settle down, and the middle class regains some spending power--which isn't likely as long as corporations control the government.

And the 1995-W silver eagle? These definitely seem to be artificially inflated. There's got to be huge hoards of these things sitting around waiting for the big score--which IMHO is turning into a long, steady hiss of a punctured balloon.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On another subject, who's buying the 2011 W Plat. 1 oz proof? I passed on the 2009 and 2010 as I knew that they would have high mintages relative to many other plats, but they still commanded very strong prices for reasons that I still don't understand. Will the 2011 do as well? >>

It depends...if they use the lady Liberty in the fields design, then absolutely, unless it's dumbed down to remove all the fine details. It could be one of the "prettier" designs we've seen in a long time...
    I also think that none of this (i.e. true collector base) will really shake out until (and if) the economy improves, PMs settle down, and the middle class regains some spending power--which isn't likely as long as corporations control the government.

So Gritsman, corporations don't want anyone to have money? Where do you think their profits come from?
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also think that none of this (i.e. true collector base) will really shake out until (and if) the economy improves, PMs settle down, and the middle class regains some spending power--which isn't likely as long as corporations control the government.

So Gritsman, corporations don't want anyone to have money? Where do you think their profits come from? >>

They want us to have enough money to buy their stuff, but no more. Policies are pretty clear to anyone paying attention.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file