Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have come to the conclusion that time will exonerate the changing reverse plat collectors. They will be the ROYAL set in 20 years in my humble opinion because they are the high end expression of the Fifty States quarters/ Parks quarters/Westward Nickels/Life Pennies/ Native Dollars/ Presidential Dollars etc structure. The ONLY expression of what is likely to be THE dominant preferential structure 20 years out. The set may develop more slowly than some of the gold and the sets keys may get battered from time to time by metals prices but in the end those that have complete sets will be some kind of proud of them longer term. I highly recommend the fractional changing reverse plats in complete set form if you can afford them. >>

.......................................................................................................................................................

Ironicly while it would be painful in the short term, a good "Battering" in PM prices may be what we all need.

If spot gold and platinum prices got cut 50% it would likely bring in more collectors to all gold and platinum offerings and that in turn would make the various 2004-2009 issues stand out as low mintage keys.

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    It has probably been said before but what hurts the popularity of platinum IMO is that it looks like silver and it costs like gold (usually more). What hurts the popularity of the Spouses is the token look and the unattractive design of the first ones released. They both contain issues with low mintages so in the long run both should have some winners in the appreciation game (if you care) but I think that plats have a tougher challenge just because the high expense of the metal alone can overshadow any numismatic appreciation as a percentage and if the Comex goes against you can take a really big bath.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be very nervous about building a platinum set in which most of the value is tied to the metal price of the common dates. Many other people probably feel the same way. That's why I think that most people who build sets will gravitate toward the 1/10 ounce and 1/4 ounce versions, and some will acquire only the keys, which offer considerable downside protection.

In this regard, the 3-year burnished platinum set is ideal to collect. All three years are low mintage, and all but the 2007 issues can be considered keys.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I have come to the conclusion that time will exonerate the changing reverse plat collectors. They will be the ROYAL set in 20 years in my humble opinion because they are the high end expression of the Fifty States quarters/ Parks quarters/Westward Nickels/Life Pennies/ Native Dollars/ Presidential Dollars etc structure. The ONLY expression of what is likely to be THE dominant preferential structure 20 years out. The set may develop more slowly than some of the gold and the sets keys may get battered from time to time by metals prices but in the end those that have complete sets will be some kind of proud of them longer term. I highly recommend the fractional changing reverse plats in complete set form if you can afford them. >>

.......................................................................................................................................................

Ironicly while it would be painful in the short term, a good "Battering" in PM prices may be what we all need.

If spot gold and platinum prices got cut 50% it would likely bring in more collectors to all gold and platinum offerings and that in turn would make the various 2004-2009 issues stand out as low mintage keys. >>

//////

The upcoming double-dip in 2011 could do be our op! I remember in the fall of 2008 when the equities got trampled, gold and platinum were near parity at $900-ish and silver was in the 9's. I'd like to see that again... It won't happen because I want it so. image

R95
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Well Leo -

I guess you didnt buy any 2004 Proof Plats or 2006-W Unc Plats during their heydey.....

That's just too bad for you.....

• << <i>I have come to the conclusion that time will exonerate the changing reverse plat collectors. They will be the ROYAL set in 20 years in my humble opinion because they are the high end expression of the Fifty States quarters/ Parks quarters/Westward Nickels/Life Pennies/ Native Dollars/ Presidential Dollars etc structure. The ONLY expression of what is likely to be THE dominant preferential structure 20 years out. The set may develop more slowly than some of the gold and the sets keys may get battered from time to time by metals prices but in the end those that have complete sets will be some kind of proud of them longer term. I highly recommend the fractional changing reverse plats in complete set form if you can afford them and wish to hold an outstanding coin collection.

Many that collect the plats were also ahead of the curve on W mint marked mint state gold, 2008 buffs, and now ultra low mintage good looking hags. >>

image You can't go wrong agreeing with Eric can you? Just MHO but in a 20 year time period, the W plats will be the Kings, the 2008 Buffs and select spouses and gold eagles the Bishops, Rooks and Knights. All valuable and important pieces in the game.

• << <i>Well Leo -

I guess you didnt buy any 2004 Proof Plats or 2006-W Unc Plats during their heydey.....

That's just too bad for you..... >>

I purchased 3 sets of 2006-W Platinum Unc's. I sold Eric a PCGS MS70 $25 and sold Dan a PCGS MS70 $10 back in early 07. I still have a complete set of 06's and a few 08-W Proofs. I also purchased 2 sets of the 20th Anniversary Gold issue and purchased one set from a Classy Lady from Las Vegas. I remember when just the PCGS $50 Gold Eagle PR70DCAM FS was going for over $ 12,000 just for that one coin. As it is for the iPhone, Playstation, Xbox or whatever new comes along. Everyone wants the "New" from the Mint. When the new wears out the price goes south. If you are collecting for your Children or Grandchildren then it doesn't matter.

IMHO, any Modern Proof look's like something that came from the Franklin Mint....image
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

image You can't go wrong agreeing with Eric can you? Just MHO but in a 20 year time period, the W plats will be the Kings, the 2008 Buffs and select spouses and gold eagles the Bishops, Rooks and Knights. All valuable and important pieces in the game. >>

You didn't mention the Queens? Reserving that spot for the 5-oz silver quarters are we?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I too love this thread Raufus and you are a thoughtful person!

Miles >>

As are you, Miles - thanks very much for your kind words!!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>Apparently Eric's books started shipping yesterday since I got an email from Krause saying it was shipped Fedex last nite. >>

No word from Amazon yet...I pre-ordered a long time ago...
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭
    PCGS $50 Gold Eagle PR70DCAM FS was going for over $ 12,000

I sold my 2006 FS 20th Anniversary DCAM 70 AGE last year for 4K(self made). i remember a few sales of this coin alone at 10K in 06 but I liked my set too much to sell during the mania. I have kept my NGC Reverse PF 70 and PCGS FS PF 70 Reverse Proof AGE and will keep them long term.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    The PCGS 20th Anniv / FS PR70DCAM $50 AGE is the perfect example of why you SHOULD SELL a coin like that when it surpassed $5k.

The coin was low pop from a label perspective, but was absolutely not rare otherwise. It wasnt worth anything near $12k. Not even $4k. You did well if you sold at $4k - dont look back.

This is why many of us keep telling the tale of how some of these issues inflate soooo much in the first two years, then fizzle for a period of time, then maybe start to move north again ONLY if they are truly rare.

There are many other examples even in the 2008-W groups of collectors coins that ARE NOT RARE. Pricing will correct.

The 2006-W RP $50 AGE at 10,000 mintage is truly a scarce/rare coin. I'd take 3 of those over 1-2008-w Bufffalo $50 prf any day.

• 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Got my copy of ERic's book last nite in the mail. Gotten through half of it so far, skimmed the other half. LOTS of nice photos of some impressive sets, along with tons of helpful charts. I'm going to be evangelizing this work at my regular local coin show. You're to be commended Eric.
  • ronsrons Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hello from Amazon.com.

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on March 14 2010 (Order# . The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

Eric Jordan "Modern Commemorative Coins: Invest Today - Profit Tomorrow"
    Previous estimated arrival date: August 02 2010 - August 06 2010
    New estimated arrival date: July 15 2010 - July 22 2010

I am disappointed that Amazon is this far behind the delivery curveimage
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am disappointed that Amazon is this far behind the delivery curve >>

Me too. I got the same message. On the other hand, it sure beats the original estimated delivery date!
  • I got the same message from Amazon.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received notification that my copy of the book had been shipped yesterday morning. I'm looking forward to receiving and reading it.

Jim

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • WELL GUYS IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL ANY BETTER I DONT EVEN HAVE A SINGLE COPY

ERIC
    Hello from Amazon.com.

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on
    March 13 2010 (Order#). The item(s) listed below will
    actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

Eric Jordan "Modern Commemorative Coins: Invest Today - Profit Tomorrow"
    Previous estimated arrival date: July 23 2010 - July 27 2010
    New estimated arrival date: July 09 2010

SWEEEEEEEET...can't wait to get it!!! (even though Amazon is behind the curve)
  • 66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad Eric's book is going to be here a little early.

I had a funny feeling about a double dip and I'm ready for it.image
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
    HOORAY !!!!!

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this
    completes your order. Your order is being shipped and cannot be changed
    by you or by our customer service department.

How about that for a 14 day speed up of deliveryimage Looks like I will be reading tomorrow. Hot dog
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
  • Just checked my account with Amazon and it says that my books will be sent either July 8th or 9th.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Email from Amazon today says that my copy of Eric's book has shipped!

<< <i>Email from Amazon today says that my copy of Eric's book has shipped! >>

Mine too!

Same here...can't wait to get it.
    A Julia PCGS MS70 FS can be yours for only $2700. What a steal. If I didn't already have one I'd be all over it - figured that I'd give you all a shot at this bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-First-Spouse-Julia-Tyler-PCGS-MS70-MS-70-FS-/310231478463?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item483b3cb0bf
  • Guys I dont know if thats a "bargain" for the buyer. $750 was a good price 3-4 weeks ago.
  • dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
  • dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    $2700 a deal on a Julia Tyler ms. I would sell my ngc 70 for $1650. Sure the holder is different but how much can a holder be worth?
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like some confusion about the price of first spouse coins.

I see many BIN for under $1000 where are there $2000 figures comming from?
    My copy of Eric's book has arrived from Amazon! imageimageimage

Now transitioning to reading mode . . .

• I received mine today as well.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like some confusion about the price of first spouse coins.

I see many BIN for under $1000 where are there $2000 figures comming from? >>

Depends on which Spouse it is and grade and even which company does the grading.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    My book arrived today also and I have begun the process of digesting all of the information contained thereinimageimage
  • mrmojorisinmrmojorisin Posts: 272 ✭✭
    ok guys, i think i am going to put up a set of 2008w unc gold buffalos on ebay. any helpful hints for the auction? i know lots of good pics, but what about the start and end times? i've read some posts here on what day is best to end the auction on and the time of day as well. i don't sell that often on ebay, so i figure to defer to the experts here. this will be a true auction for a raw set.

thanks
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    You know we could all help each other in a very simple way with little cost to ourselves.

I suggest we all just try to include a copy of Eric's book for each unique buyer of a modern coin we sell on Ebay or at shows where the modern coin is say $500-$1,000+.

In relation to cost of sale I bet a not insignificant number of the buyers would use the book as a guide and move deeper into moderns then they would have without the info and guidance the book will provide.

Whether you like Eagles, gold , buffs, silver, spouses, etc. the more copies of the book that get into buyers hands the better off the whole modern field will be.
    Got home late after a long day and found Eric's book waiting for me. Despite being very tired, I spent the next hour and a half poring through it. Great read, Eric! You've done a wonderful job processing and integrating the vast amount of information on the subject. I'd guess this book seems destined to do very well!

Post your reviews on Amazon everyone!
    Okay, reading Eric's book and seeing many WTBs on the BST, I am wondering why the $25 gold unc-w eagles are so hot. Yes, they are fairly low mintage, but so are a lot of other things. Anyone have any insights to this? Is it just because the entire series is more widely collected than many others?
  • mrmojorisinmrmojorisin Posts: 272 ✭✭
    anyone have recent selling prices for the '08w buffalo unc. set (raw)? i looked up the history on ebay and couldn't find anything. i figure some here save this data offline.

also, anyone have current greysheet on the buffalos? i saw June 11 numbers but thats as recent that i've seen.

thanks

<< <i>You know we could all help each other in a very simple way with little cost to ourselves.

I suggest we all just try to include a copy of Eric's book for each unique buyer of a modern coin we sell on Ebay or at shows where the modern coin is say $500-$1,000+.

In relation to cost of sale I bet a not insignificant number of the buyers would use the book as a guide and move deeper into moderns then they would have without the info and guidance the book will provide.

Whether you like Eagles, gold , buffs, silver, spouses, etc. the more copies of the book that get into buyers hands the better off the whole modern field will be. >>

I received Eric's book today. WOW - totally exceeds my expectations. Great photos, well laid out, great cover, very informative and concise text.

Eric- you have done the Hobby such a great service. We are all very much in your debt. Hopefully, this will help to put the wonderful area of Moderns on the map.

I plan to ask all of the dealers as well as numismatic book and supply sellers that I know to carry the book. This is something that we all should do.

In addition, I will include a copy free with every modern that I sell for over $500 AND I will mention this in my auctions.

THANKS SO MUCH ERIC!!!! Simply FANTASTIC job. Ron
  • CoinMaster1229CoinMaster1229 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭
    I also received Erics book, Noticed on pg. 229 Unc. Gold Eagle chart was printed off set. I love the book, Good Job Eric!image
  • just like others, go the copy of Eric's book today. Fantastic Job!!!!
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>also, anyone have current greysheet on the buffalos? >>

June 25th greysheet bid:

2008-W Gold Buffalos

Denom.........BU.........PR
    1/10th........$525.......$560
    1/4............$1,600.....$1,550
    1/2............$1,375.....$1,525
    1 OZ..........$3,000.....$3,600
    4 piece set..$6,300.....$6.750

Kudos to Eric for writing this book and verifing the true mintage numbers.

<< <i>

<< <i>also, anyone have current greysheet on the buffalos? >>

June 25th greysheet bid:

2008-W Gold Buffalos

Denom.........BU.........PR
    1/10th........$525.......$560
    1/4............$1,600.....$1,550
    1/2............$1,375.....$1,525
    1 OZ..........$3,000.....$3,600
    4 piece set..$6,300.....$6.750

Kudos to Eric for writing this book and verifing the true mintage numbers. >>

How far off are these from the peak? Thanks.
    Eric-

Just curious, when did you first get the idea for the book? How long did it take from start to finish?

Again, thanks so much for doing it. FANTASTIC job!!!

Ron

• << <i>Eric-

Just curious, when did you first get the idea for the book? How long did it take from start to finish?

Again, thanks so much for doing it. FANTASTIC job!!!

Ron >>

Ron,

A moderns guy named Charles Crews told me that the moderns collectors needed a book that had good and complete mintage tables and represented our school of thought. He suggested that I and the people I run with were probably qualified and that we cant count of established coin authors that have no interest or special competence in moderns to do a good job. It took 2 years and about 1,500 hours to finish the research.

KP (and Debbie Bradley in particular) gave the moderns guys a text and in some ways "literary justification" for our area of collecting interest. KP gave us the ball and now its up to us to run with it and in time we may find we are the mainstream. The cutting edge moderns collectors of the 1906 to 1936 era in time became the center and we may too.

Go forth and conquer :-)

Eric
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric. Perhaps you can comment (or anyone else who has now read the book) on the thread "Modern Commem Coins" here now on page 1 of the US Coin Forum.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am wondering why the $25 gold unc-w eagles are so hot. Yes, they are fairly low mintage, but so are a lot of other things. Anyone have any insights to this? Is it just because the entire series is more widely collected than many others?

Grits, I've noticed this and I've been wondering about this too. I can offer this thought - when the AGE Series first started, I was hot for the whole idea but I didn't really have enough steady money to collect the whole series. Even back then I felt that the lowest mintage coins would eventually rule (Lesson No.1), so I bought the 1/4 ozers and 1/2 ozers on that basis. 1 oz. gold coins were simply too expensive for my budget at the time, and it turns out that the 1/4 oz. and 1/2 oz. coins are almost always lower mintages than the 1 oz. coins anyway.

I bought (5) of each in 1988 and 1989, but by 1990 I had lost steam and the money to invest just wasn't there. In the ensuing years, the lowest mintage issues were produced in 1990 and 1991 - and their performance has been good if you had had the foresight to buy into them. Lesson No.2 - buy when it hurts, because when the market is hurting in general, that is when the overall sales numbers will always be less than when the economy is booming.

I also think that the market for AGEs is partway into the maturation process, where actual collectors are reducing the number of coins that are available - one coin at a time, and that the dealers in Moderns are seeing this firsthand.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file