Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have thought of another subset in the Spouse series. First of all, it won't be as popular as the Liberty series but here it goes...it's called "Double Double" (like the In-Out-Burger of the same name but no correlation). The presidents subjected are Tyler, Cleaveland (same wife but two different designs), Wilson, Roosevelt (in name only). Dud? image
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    ....followed by hefty inflation, 2012-2014.

Comrade Renski >>

Is that when we off-load our extras?
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have thought of another subset in the Spouse series. First of all, it won't be as popular as the Liberty series but here it goes...it's called "Double Double" (like the In-Out-Burger of the same name but no correlation). The presidents subjected are Tyler, Cleaveland (same wife but two different designs), Wilson, Roosevelt (in name only). Dud? image >>

You know, this does get me thinking: there ought to be other worthwhile subsets to assemble than just the Liberties. Off the top of my head...

1) Presidents who were Generals (Not sure, but Washington, Jackson, Grant, Roosevelt, Eisenhower...)
    2) Peacetime/Wartime Presidents (Maybe more than I think...)
    3) Presidents who were faithful (or unfaithful) to their spouses (tough to confirm)
    4) Democratic/Republican Presidents (tough one idealogically since Lincoln would have been drummed out of the Republican Party today)
    5) Presidents who owned slaves (Washington, Jefferson...any others?)
    6) Presidents from the West

Okay, so none of these seems very compelling, but anyone have any other (good) ideas?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about those with IQs less than 90?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How about those with IQs less than 90? >>

A one coin set (Bush Jr.)

<< <i>

A one coin set (Bush Jr.) >>

I don't know. We might be surprised. Hoover maybe? I don't know enough about a lot of them to even venture...
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    OT...I know the 2006 20th Anniversary set was capped at 10,000, but what were the final sales numbers after returns? (I still believe the RP is a very special coin!)

Thanks
    Gritsman, your political bias is showing through. You are throwing out red meat and waiting for a response so the speech police on this board can complain again. I give you the Devil award today. image

<< <i>

A one coin set (Bush Jr.) >>

W was not unintelligent. He had noticeable public speaking issues, but is a smart man who had people skills exceeding most of his predecessors. Bill Clinton had such exceptional people skills that W's skills are under appreciated.

• << <i>OT...I know the 2006 20th Anniversary set was capped at 10,000, but what were the final sales numbers after returns? (I still believe the RP is a very special coin!)

Thanks >>

Our new moderns book says 9,996

:-)

<< <i>Gritsman, your political bias is showing through. You are throwing out red meat and waiting for a response so the speech police on this board can complain again. I give you the Devil award today. image >>

Hey thanks! Am I the first one to receive this??? I don't recall anyone else earning this coveted award! And really, I was hardly even trying. That said, I STILL haven't heard of a good idea for another subset.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only (4) returns? Whoa!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>

<< <i>Gritsman, your political bias is showing through. You are throwing out red meat and waiting for a response so the speech police on this board can complain again. I give you the Devil award today. image >>

Hey thanks! Am I the first one to receive this??? I don't recall anyone else earning this coveted award! And really, I was hardly even trying. That said, I STILL haven't heard of a good idea for another subset. >>

You're welcome. I could come up with one or two subsets but know I would get "busted" by those who cannot stand a little political flavor. Ok, one that is safe is left handed Presidents versus right or ones who had bad teeth or good. The posibilities are endless but I wouldn't invest the farm on them at eBay.

<< <i>

<< <i>OT...I know the 2006 20th Anniversary set was capped at 10,000, but what were the final sales numbers after returns? (I still believe the RP is a very special coin!)

Thanks >>

:-) >>

Thanks Eric. I've seen that number, but (as with most everything else) didn't remember because I didn't write it down. image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Give it time brother, good looking mint state gold with a 2.8 to 3.2 thousand mintage or a proof gold issue with a 4.8-5.2 thousand mintage will have its day. Its just a matter of time...................

Its funny. The heard shows up to buy roughly 20,000 mintage seriously ugly coins but misses the boat on good looking ultra low mitnage modern issues struck on gold or platinum. Go figure. >>

I herd that.

<< <i>

<< <i>Give it time brother, good looking mint state gold with a 2.8 to 3.2 thousand mintage or a proof gold issue with a 4.8-5.2 thousand mintage will have its day. Its just a matter of time...................

Its funny. The heard shows up to buy roughly 20,000 mintage seriously ugly coins but misses the boat on good looking ultra low mitnage modern issues struck on gold or platinum. Go figure. >>

I herd that. >>

The heard is usually late to the best grazing but are often a good source of fertilizer.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The herd is usually late to the best grazing but are often a good source of fertilizer. >>

I thought they were a source of protein image

<< <i>

<< <i>The herd is usually late to the best grazing but are often a good source of fertilizer. >>

I thought they were a source of protein image >>

Fair warning: I herd the Spelling Police are about to close down this thread. Get ready to pack up and heard on over to another location.

Eric, will your book get here already, so we can talk about something INTERESTING???
    List the top 5 American Eagles over the next 10 years in terms of price percentage appreciation (6.8.10--6.8.20):

1. 2008-W $10 Proof APE

2. 1999-"W" $10 "Error" Gold

3. 2006-W $50 Rev. Proof Gold

4. 2008-W $50 Proof APE

5. 2008-W $10 Burnished Gold

Disclosure: I'm not selling nor planning to sell any of the aforementioned in the next 10 years.

<< <i>List the top 5 American Eagles over the next 10 years in terms of price percentage appreciation (6.8.10--6.8.20):

1. 2008-W $10 Proof APE

2. 1999-"W" $10 "Error" Gold

3. 2006-W $50 Rev. Proof Gold

4. 2008-W $50 Proof APE

5. 2008-W $10 Burnished Gold

Disclosure: I'm not selling nor planning to sell any of the aforementioned in the next 10 years. >>

Talk about your challenging question. My first prediction is that at least two of the Top Five will be total surprises. That said, I'm thinkin'...

1. 2008-W $10 Burnished Gold

2. 2008-W $10 Proof APE

3. 2008-W $25 Proof APE

4. 2008-W $5 Burnished Gold

5. 1999-"W" $10 "Error" Gold

I love the RP gold—and would love to have one—but it has appreciated a lot already. Then again, so has my #1 choice. The 1999 "Error" gold, I'm just not sure about. It's way cool, but if it hasn't caught on by now, I wonder about its prospects. If any kind of platinum collector base develops, I think there will be some surprises on which coins are hard to find. The 2001-2003 coins seem especially alluring. So do all of the 2006-2008 burnished gold pieces. Maybe I'll revisit this after going through Eric's book.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << List the top 5 American Eagles over the next 10 years in terms of price percentage appreciation (6.8.10--6.8.20): >>

Tie: Any common date bullion $50 gold American Eagle.

Think about it.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the RP gold—and would love to have one—but it has appreciated a lot already.

It's come down from a year or two ago, and I don't see it going much lower. It's followed the same tragectory as the 1995-W Proof Silver Eagle (and most hot new issues, really) except that it's time frame has been compressed, and that it contains an ounce of gold. Now might be a reasonably good time to obtain one, although I kinda agree with Overdate that any common date $50 American Gold Eagle might do as well as an investment.

On a price appreciation percentage basis, there will always be alot of competition in the Modern Bullion and Modern Commems. If your priorities take you in another direction and the RP goes back up, that's not necessarily a mistake. Many of them get hot, and cool off before resuming the curve towards maturity in terms of the collectability of the series. There are a bunch of good coins in the Moderns, and you simply can't get them all, (although you can try!)image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I guess the mint isn't updating the sales numbers for the Letitia and Julia coins this week, they must be playing games with us.image

I hope we don't get any surprises next week.
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Jane Pierce has to-date the worst debut week sales for a spouse at 855. That with a lousy economy and high (going even higher?) gold and J Tyler is probably not gonna be any kind of mintage low for the series. I will allow that she is a good looking gal though.

<< <i>Jane Pierce has to-date the worst debut week sales for a spouse at 855. That with a lousy economy and high (going even higher?) gold and J Tyler is probably not gonna be any kind of mintage low for the series. I will allow that she is a good looking gal though. >>

Buyers may be waiting a bit to see if gold will fall to the next pricing level before they buy. The first strike cut-off date may be a better comparison point. Of course we don't know how long they will keep her around and that could also impact the final numbers.

<< <i>

<< <i>Jane Pierce has to-date the worst debut week sales for a spouse at 855. That with a lousy economy and high (going even higher?) gold and J Tyler is probably not gonna be any kind of mintage low for the series. I will allow that she is a good looking gal though. >>

Buyers may be waiting a bit to see if gold will fall to the next pricing level before they buy. The first strike cut-off date may be a better comparison point. Of course we don't know how long they will keep her around and that could also impact the final numbers. >>

I am wondering how many First Spouse buyers are represented on this forum? I just checked my recent poll and saw that about 60 answered affirmatively. Not an insignificant percentage... The reason I thought of it was to see if we as a group sway sales numbers significantly.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Buyers may be waiting a bit to see if gold will fall to the next pricing level before they buy. The first strike cut-off date may be a better comparison point. Of course we don't know how long they will keep her around and that could also impact the final numbers. >>

I am wondering how many First Spouse buyers are represented on this forum? I just checked my recent poll and saw that about 60 answered affirmatively. Not an insignificant percentage... The reason I thought of it was to see if we as a group sway sales numbers significantly. >>

I would think a good number but they probably would not want to admit it. image

• I would think a good number but they probably would not want to admit it. image >>

LOL...image

Maybe they are waiting for Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, and her Spouse.....Lorena Hickok. The two look lovely together.

<< <i>I would think a good number but they probably would not want to admit it. image >>

LOL...image

Maybe they are waiting for Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, and her Spouse.....Lorena Hickok. The two look lovely together. >>

Actually, my guess is that sales will seriously increase with Eleanor, and peak with Jackie and Lady Bird.

• << <i>

<< <i>I would think a good number but they probably would not want to admit it. image >>

LOL...image

Maybe they are waiting for Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, and her Spouse.....Lorena Hickok. The two look lovely together. >>

Actually, my guess is that sales will seriously increase with Eleanor, and peak with Jackie and Lady Bird. >>

My guess is that the series will become of "Interest" with Mary Todd to the public.

You learn so much with this series.

• << <i>Maybe they are waiting for Anna Eleanor Roosevelt, and her Spouse.....Lorena Hickok. The two look lovely together. >>

You learn so much with this series. >>

Can you sit here and collect coins...........And not imagine the fear in Martha Washington......Even though her mintage was 20,000...........Her example of her Husband.....Was a Country.

• << <i>
    My guess is that the series will become of "Interest" with Mary Todd to the public. >>

My guess it will become of interest 100 years after I am dead. image

• << <i>

<< <i>
    My guess is that the series will become of "Interest" with Mary Todd to the public. >>

My guess it will become of interest 100 years after I am dead. image >>

That Liberty Sub Set would pay for your Great Grand Childrens Education 100 years after your DEAD
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jane Pierce has to-date the worst debut week sales for a spouse at 855. >>

According to what I have the Julia Tyler was the lowest so far with 830 for the first week, but it is close enough.

I would guess the mint will revise the last numbers up on the final sales for the Tyler coins as maybe they don't want returns from the speculators.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a poll? It will be interesting to see who's closest in the years to come.

Which will be the lowest mintage hag and what will that mintage be - what say you?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

<< <i>How about a poll? It will be interesting to see who's closest in the years to come.

Which will be the lowest mintage hag and what will that mintage be - what say you? >>

I will go on a limb a bit with the current holder (it seems) J. Tyler at 2895. If we don't turn the economy around with wiser policies soon then we might see lower numbers but I well go optimistic.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I'll bite. I think we will double dip next year.

2011 Lucretia Garfield unc. 2,050, but I think the 2012 Alice Paul unc. will come in at 1,925.

R95
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    I think we are hitting the low point in mintages of First Lady gold. Mintages will not likely be this low again beginning with the Buchanan coin.
  • Proof First Spouse Gold
    Year
    2007 Washington ..19,167
    2007 Adams ..17,149
    2007 Jefferson ..19,815
    2007 Madison ..17,943
    2008 Monroe ..7,800
    2008 Adams ..6,581
    2008 Jackson ..7,684
    2008 Van Buren ..7,364
    2009 Harrison ..6,200 sales report est
    2009 Letitia Tyler ..5,176 sales report est
    2009 Julia Tyler ..4,857 sales report est

Mint State First Spouse Gold
    Year
    2007 Washington ..17,661
    2007 Adams ..17,142
    2007 Jefferson ..19,823
    2007 Madison ..12,340
    2008 Monroe ..4,462
    2008 Adams ..3,885
    2008 Jackson ..4,609
    2008 Van Buren ..4,191
    2009 Harrison ..3,500 sales report est
    2009 Letitia Tyler ..3,197 sales report est
    2009 Julia Tyler ..3,140 sales report est

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about a poll? It will be interesting to see who's closest in the years to come.

Which will be the lowest mintage hag and what will that mintage be - what say you? >>

It depends partly on the future price of gold, and whether the Mint maintains its current pricing policy.

On average, the price of an unc. First Spouse from the mint is $154 above the spot price of 1/2 ounce of gold. At today's gold price the premium is about 25%. It drops to about 15% if gold hits $2000 an ounce, and 10% if gold reaches $3000 an ounce. While these premiums would still be higher than the premiums on Gold Eagles, they might be low enough to attract the more adventurous speculators as a low-cost play on a potentially low mintage coin.

I think there is a decent chance that the Julia Tyler coin will retain its status as the lowest mintage going forward.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Well if eric's numbers above are correct it looks as if the Tylers are only 57 coins apart as of last repported sales, which means it may be possible that "final final" audited sales will show the Letitia below the Julia.

<< <i>Well if eric's numbers above are correct it looks as if the Tylers are only 57 coins apart as of last repported sales, which means it may be possible that "final final" audited sales will show the Letitia below the Julia. >>

Very possible! I wonder whether those who just paid a premium for Julia will sell or buy Letitia to be sure that they have the lowest either way. Of course, the lowest may well be yet to come...
  • LETITIA HAD A 3,163 NUMBER LAST WEEK AND THERE IS ONLY A 7 DAY RETURN OPTION NOW.

ITS GOING TO BE HARD FOR LETITIA TO OVERCOME JULIA. IT CAN BE DONE BUT NOT LIKELY.

<< <i>LETITIA HAD A 3,163 NUMBER LAST WEEK AND THERE IS ONLY A 7 DAY RETURN OPTION NOW.

ITS GOING TO BE HARD FOR LETITIA TO OVERCOME JULIA. IT CAN BE DONE BUT NOT LIKELY. >>

Thanks for this info Eric! I feel a bit better as I have a Julia but not a Letitia and playing catch up after the fact can get expensive.

I was hoping that Julia would come in under 3K as there is just something psychological about a gold coin with a two-thousand anything mintage.

The difference between the two certainly will be close. If, by chance, they end up being the lowest mintages I wonder what the premium will be for a key that is only a percent or so higher than the next lowest mintage. But then a key is a key so I'd imagine that a decent premium will still hold, but not the same as if it were in the 2K range.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a First Spouse subset I don't believe has been mentioned:

Spouses whose husbands died while in office, or a subset of that:

Spouses whose husbands were assassinated.

If I'm remembering my history correctly (at work without a reference book handy), those would be sets of 8 coins and 4 coins, respectively. They would be spread out over several years, so they might be somewhat affordable to many collectors/investors.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • 2010 James Buchanan’s Liberty 1857–1861 September 2010
    2010 Mary Lincoln 1861–1865 December 2010

2011 Eliza Johnson 1865–1869 TBA – 2011
    2011 Julia Grant 1869–1877 TBA – 2011
    2011 Lucy Hayes 1877–1881 TBA – 2011
    2011 Lucretia Garfield 1881 TBA – 2011

2012 Alice Paul 1881–1885 TBA – 2012
    2012 Frances Cleveland 1885–1889 TBA – 2012
    2012 Caroline Harrison 1889–1893 TBA – 2012
    2012 Frances Cleveland 1893–1897 TBA – 2012

2013 Ida McKinley 1897–1901 TBA – 2013
    2013 Edith Roosevelt 1901–1909 TBA – 2013
    2013 Helen Taft 1909–1913 TBA – 2013
    2013 Ellen Wilson 1913–1914 TBA – 2013
    2013 Edith Wilson 1915–1921 TBA – 2013

2014 Florence Harding 1921–1923 TBA – 2014
    2014 Grace Coolidge 1923–1929 TBA – 2014
    2014 Lou Hoover 1929–1933 TBA – 2014
    2014 Anna Eleanor Roosevelt 1933–1945 TBA – 2014

2015 Elizabeth Truman 1945–1953 TBA – 2015
    2015 Mamie Eisenhower 1953–1961 TBA – 2015
    2015 Jacqueline Kennedy 1961–1963 TBA – 2015
    2015 Claudia Taylor Johnson 1963–1969 TBA – 2015

2016 Patricia Nixon 1969–1974 TBA – 2016

After Mary Lincoln you have a possible number of 8 candidates for the "Key" date. ( Besides the two Tyler's ). In my opinion, orders will pick up for the 20th century releases. Starting with the 2013 Ida Mckinley.

<< <i>After Mary Lincoln you have a possible number of 8 candidates for the "Key" date. ( Besides the two Tyler's ). In my opinion, orders will pick up for the 20th century releases. Starting with the 2013 Ida Mckinley. >>

Yes, and all the attention/$$$ will be focused on 100th Anniversary Buffalo Set in 2013. image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>After Mary Lincoln you have a possible number of 8 candidates for the "Key" date. ( Besides the two Tyler's ). In my opinion, orders will pick up for the 20th century releases. Starting with the 2013 Ida Mckinley. >>

Yes, and all the attention/$$$ will be focused on 100th Anniversary Buffalo Set in 2013. image >>

great idea for a suggestion.

a reverse proof ???

oh.... hmmmmm..... ""will they have the gold to make it then"" .... imageimageimageimage
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<...will show the Letitia below the Julia...>>

That sounds vaguely dirty...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file