Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re choosing which of the two Buffalo coins to keep:

If I were primarily a collector, I would sell them both, buy one of each raw in OGP, and pocket the difference.

If I were primarily an investor, I would sell them both. I like buffs but at today's prices, there are better and less risky investments out there.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Article on Platinum fundamentals.........

http://www.kitco.com/reports/Debbie_May132010_platinum.html
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    < can anyone comment on the First Hags?

What is the current low mintage coin?

Are they all just bullion or do any have a premium? >>

These are almost double in price from the mint when offered the first year. Too cost prohibitive for me, though I have the first years run in MS and PF. I remember the mint offering these on subscriptions and all 40,000 subscriptions sold out and then they decided not to do the subscription service.

2006-W Mint State Legislative ...3,068 ...2,577 ...2,676 ...3,544
    2007-W Mint State Executive ...4,177 ...3,635 ...3,690 ...5,556
    2008-W Mint State Judicial ...2,876 ...2,253 ...2,481 ...3,706

Looks like the 2006 W is the king of the $100 Plats and these were selling for $2200-$2500 on ebay for a PCGS MS 70.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    going to Abu Dhabi?

buying gold?

use a vending machine
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<going to Abu Dhabi? buying gold?>>

<<use a vending machine >>

Hopefully, this won't indicate the top of the gold market, where everyone else piles into a formerly good thing and ruins it for us!
  • HARRISON UNC AT ABOUT 3500 COINS. IS THE LOWEST FIRST HAG
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    Julia Tyler MS has a chance if they pull it in two months at 2751.
    Austrian mint says gold sales soar on panic buys

The mint sold 243,500 ounces of gold in coins and bars in that period, compared to 205,000 ounces in the entire first three months of the year, marketing director Kerry Tattersall told Reuters in a phone interview.

'Demand is exclusively from Europe, we haven't had any orders from the United States and Asia in the last few weeks,' Tattersall said. 'That's a clear sign that there is panic buying because of concerns about Greece and the euro.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    2006-W Mint State Legislative ...3,068 ...2,577 ...2,676 ...3,544
    2007-W Mint State Executive ...4,177 ...3,635 ...3,690 ...5,556
    2008-W Mint State Judicial ...2,876 ...2,253 ...2,481 ...3,706

Looks like the 2006 W is the king of the $100 Plats and these were selling for $2200-$2500 on ebay for a PCGS MS 70.

I was a little confused by your comment-- 2008 w plat $100s have lower reported mintages. I think you're reading Eric's chart backwards; he's listed it in $100, $50, $25, $10 order.

2006 w $10s were the lowest mintage $10s; 2008 w came in lower on the other denominations.

Dan
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wait until next month when the mintages change all over again... how hard is it to count to 3,000?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

<< <i>Article on Platinum fundamentals.........

http://www.kitco.com/reports/Debbie_May132010_platinum.html >>

Possible future platinum substitute? I'm not sure if the technology can be commercialized, but I'm not making any long-term bets on the price of platinum or palladium. Or bullion coins made from them.

• I looked at that article a while back and thought the problem is the material wants to pick the electron back up and as soon as it does its properties change. Japan developed and used a PGM subsitute on their cars for a couple years about 4 years ago....... and they ended up replacing all of them under warranty because the "cats" lost their ability to clean up the exhaust over time. It was a costly mistake for Japans auto manufacturers. They are luckly that they only tried that stunt on thier domestic Japanese auto market and not in the US.

IMO a possible short term positive (3-12mo) event for platinum would be a further unraveling in euro and a general currency crisis with spike in gold to or above $1500.

Platinum and silver would benefit from a halo PM effect.

Not predicting this to happen just pointing out a possible chain of events...........

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Does someone have the $100 2009-W sales estimates? Also, any corrections to my chart?

Thanks

• JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    There were 8,000 2009-w platinum eagles minted. 1 oz and proof only.
    Yup, 2009 is the easy year to remember... $100 proof only, maximum mintage of 8,000 and a quick sellout.
    Dan
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup, 2009 is the easy year to remember... $100 proof only, maximum mintage of 8,000 and a quick sellout. >>

Where are they all? I don't see many for sale.
    not much of a market for platinum (right now?).
    I believe the one Platinum Eagle coin that's poised to explode is clearly the proof 2008-W $10 with 28% fewer than the 2nd ('04) lowest and 37% fewer than the 3rd ('05). Additionally, it is the most affordable of the four denominations. I see its size as the only detractor other than the short term problem, "It's not popular." I believe "unpopular" is a modern coin problem that is eventually trumped by an ultra-low mintage.

However, I don't see a clear King among the burnished plats? They all have very low mintage, but are relatively close in terms of their mintage. Plus, the burnished coins are generally stepchildren when it comes to collector grade finishes. I really don't see one that stands out to the degree that I call it a "Blue Chip"... maybe the '08 $50, but I'm not convinced...

Any thoughts?

• << <i>

<< <i>Yup, 2009 is the easy year to remember... $100 proof only, maximum mintage of 8,000 and a quick sellout. >>

Where are they all? I don't see many for sale. >>

They were all immediately melted because of the design.
    i see buff boxes are still hot
    (and it's just for the one ouncer)
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe the one Platinum Eagle coin that's poised to explode is clearly the proof 2008-W $10 with 28% fewer than the 2nd ('04) lowest and 37% fewer than the 3rd ('05). Additionally, it is the most affordable of the four denominations. I see its size as the only detractor other than the short term problem, "It's not popular." I believe "unpopular" is a modern coin problem that is eventually trumped by an ultra-low mintage.

However, I don't see a clear King among the burnished plats? They all have very low mintage, but are relatively close in terms of their mintage. Plus, the burnished coins are generally stepchildren when it comes to collector grade finishes. I really don't see one that stands out to the degree that I call it a "Blue Chip"... maybe the '08 $50, but I'm not convinced...

Any thoughts? >>

Glad to see the chart back! I miss it when it's gone too long! image

Anyway, I think you're right about the '08 $10 proof plat. Haven't been following it, but it appears it's already heating up and the mintage says "Winner" all over it.

I also feel the same way as you about the burnished plats. It's a very odd situation, having all 3 years so close together in numbers. It kind of kills interest in any one of them--for now. I do believe that they will eventually garner more interest. I think it more likely that proof plat collecting will take off. And I see the $50 coins as the marquis series, both for the mintages and the size, which is the most attractive IMO.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
    Where are they all? I don't see many for sale.

I heard a rumor that Bill Gates & Warren Buffett bought them all and are using them as poker chips.
    Dan

<< <i>

<< <i>I believe the one Platinum Eagle coin that's poised to explode is clearly the proof 2008-W $10 with 28% fewer than the 2nd ('04) lowest and 37% fewer than the 3rd ('05). Additionally, it is the most affordable of the four denominations. I see its size as the only detractor other than the short term problem, "It's not popular." I believe "unpopular" is a modern coin problem that is eventually trumped by an ultra-low mintage.

Any thoughts? >>

Glad to see the chart back! I miss it when it's gone too long! image

Anyway, I think you're right about the '08 $10 proof plat. Haven't been following it, but it appears it's already heating up and the mintage says "Winner" all over it.

I also feel the same way as you about the burnished plats. It's a very odd situation, having all 3 years so close together in numbers. It kind of kills interest in any one of them--for now. I do believe that they will eventually garner more interest. I think it more likely that proof plat collecting will take off. And I see the $50 coins as the marquis series, both for the mintages and the size, which is the most attractive IMO. >>

how much are the first strike 70's going for over the release prices for all three of the burnished sets ?

• << <i>I looked at that article a while back and thought the problem is the material wants to pick the electron back up and as soon as it does its properties change. Japan developed and used a PGM subsitute on their cars for a couple years about 4 years ago....... and they ended up replacing all of them under warranty because the "cats" lost their ability to clean up the exhaust over time. It was a costly mistake for Japans auto manufacturers. They are luckly that they only tried that stunt on thier domestic Japanese auto market and not in the US. >>

They sold us the cars that won't stop. If given a choice, I would have taken the bad converters. image
    << I see the $50 coins as the marquis series, both for the mintages and the size, which is the most attractive IMO. >>

I think the $25 is the best compromise of size and price. Mintage of the keys is nearly as low as the $50, and only half the bullion value risk. If the price of platinum continues rising, complete sets will become progressively less affordable (and more risky) for the higher denominations. If the price of platinum goes down due to development of industrial substitutes, the $100 denomination will benefit more than the $50.

The half-ounce has almost always been the lowest mintage of the collector plats, even in years when they didn't sell out. There's a reason for this - they were the least popular size. The main reason they are in demand now is because of the attention being paid to the ultra-low mintages of recent years. I like the prospects for the quarter-ounce and the tenth-ounce keys much better.

I notice in the laws made for various new coin products that "no fractionals" is often mandated.

What's the problem with fractionals anyway? My instincts say fractionals are a good thing. image
    I think the $25 is the best compromise of size and price. Mintage of the keys is nearly as low as the $50, and only half the bullion value risk. If the price of platinum continues rising, complete sets will become progressively less affordable (and more risky) for the higher denominations. If the price of platinum goes down due to development of industrial substitutes, the $100 denomination will benefit more than the $50

I agree with you that the $25 is the best bang for the buck.

I never understood the $50; I would rather spend less and get the $25 or more and get the $100. The only thing the $50 has going for it is that the Mint, in it's wisdom, selected that size for the reverse proof -- if you're a platinum type collector it's the only denomination that provides all finishes.
    Dan

<< <i>how much are the first strike 70's going for over the release prices for all three of the burnished sets ? >>

MsMorrisine--I only shop PCGS coins unless I'm buying in person or from the Mint. There's not too much happening on the sales front lately. I believe eBay is the purest source for measuring real-time market price. I also look at Teletrade, Heritage, David Lawrence, and a few others. However, eBay moves the most stuff, most often (possibly MCM, but they're not always a good indication of market and don't sell much PCGS). That said, almost everything on eBay is in tight/proud hands. There are very few true auctions--everything is a Buy-it-Now with unrealistic prices. Only a few PCGS plat coins have sold recently: a $10 2007-W MS70FS sold at $224.50 and a few 10th Anniversary sets ($50PR & $50RPR) sold ~$2,000. Other than that, not much going on.

I know many won't agree with my buying PCGS coins, but I believe anything else (other than NGC) purchased on the internet is too much of a crap shoot for my blood!

EDIT: I actually think the 2007 MS & PR are way undervalued right now. And, if you're needing any '04s, get them now. They've fallen too far. On the other end, the 90's still seem overpriced even though they've fallen 50% in two years.
    drei3,

What's your thinking on the '07s? A surprising statement given the mega-high mintage of the RP. Also, when you say 90s, do you mean 97-99?

Those 90s coins are somewhat of a mystery, I think. I'm guessing if many went to the smelter, the 90s would have gone first. That could make surviving pops much lower--but it would take a lot of melting.

As for you guys who like the 1/4s better than the 1/2s, I'm just guessing you are the same people with major commitment problems and just won't spring for the truly BEST series--even though it's the one you secretly crave! image

<< <i>I believe "unpopular" is a modern coin problem that is eventually trumped by an ultra-low mintage. >>

EVIDENCE:
    MINTAGE = 5,174. Sixteen different plat coins have a lower mintage. THREE are less than half the Jackie. Jackie is burnished and was initially very unpopular. Pre-issue price at the US Mint = $180. PCGS price 13 years later = $6,700 in MS70.
    but it is also Jackie Robinson, and gold.
    4 coin buffalo proof...........$8,600..............1,250 views

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280503724465&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hate the Jackie example coming up all the time for comparison. there are many fewer available probably because of much higher demand and dispersion. I have heard rumors of hoards and not seen any evidence of them personally. I love plats but they seem destined to remain a bit on the unloved side by collectors at large...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • I agree that the fractional proof plats will mature before the 3 mint state foundations of democracy plats do. I collect first and foremost (in complete set form that is) the proof fractional plats. I have pictures in our book of 4 coin multi holders for both the 97-2008 proofs and the mint state issues running from 2005-2008. The 12 coin proof plat denominations made up of three 4 coin sets look SO good in person......

On a percentage basis David normally defeats Goliath. The dimes and quarters should appreciate faster than the halves and the halves pull better than the $100 issues.

Eric
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love plats but they seem destined to remain a bit on the unloved side by collectors at large...

That is the way it seems, based on mintages vs. ebay sales activity for gold vs. plats. I don't mind however, because I really needed some breathing space in order to work on collecting Plats instead of simply speculating on them. I still much prefer the early uncs from '97 to '03 over the later uncs from '04 to '09 in terms of attactiveness. The changing reverses also make a nice collection focus. For such a short series, Plats offer alot of variety and a nice way to plug away at a precious metal accumulation with a serious potential for a rarity play as well. There isn't alot of supply, so it shouldn't take much of a bump in demand to cause a stir. It will happen, the question is how long before it does?

Any Plat has the Jackie Robinson design beat by a light-year.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HELP please....

I was trolling through my double Intercept Shield boxes for gold and plat coins to sell given the high spot prices. In looking at my $5 and $10 1999-W PCGS MS69 "Mint Error Stk W/Unfinish. Pr Die" I noticed horrible looking toning that was not there just a few years ago. These coins have been kept in a climate controlled vault in double IS boxes!!! What's up with this??? Has this happened to any of you? Will PCGS do anything about it? Will my PCGS MS70 CVS suffer the same fate?? THANKS for any info. What a horrible surprise :-(

Unrelated to the toning....

I found an NGC 2007 W MS 70 $50 plat as well as an 2007 W MS70 ER $25 plat. I was planning to sell them. Any reason not to as they seem to be the dogs of the burnished plats?

THANKS! Ron
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    One more thing...

Does anyone have the mintage numbers handy for the 2006 W and 2008 w AGEs?

THANKS!!
    Raufus, I haven't tracked any 1/4 oz. 2007-W MS-70 ER Plats, so I don't know whether there is any premium on it. My best guess for the ebay price would be $525 to $575 with a chance of a bounce if platinum gets hot.

The 2007-W NCG MS-70 1/2 oz. Plat looks fairly-valued (in ebay terms) around $925 to $1,000 probably on the lower end to middle of that range. An ER sold recently for $930 so there is no premium for that one.

2006-W AGEs:
    1/10 oz. - 20,643
    1/4 oz. - 15,164
    1/2 oz. - 15,188
    1 oz. - 45,053

2007-W AGEs:
    1/10 oz. - 22,501
    1/4 oz. - 12,766
    1/2 oz. - 11,455
    1 oz. - 18,066

2008-W AGEs:
    1/10 oz. - 12,657
    1/4 oz. - 8,883
    1/2 oz. - 15,682
    1 oz. - 11,908

I'm beginning to like the potential for the "W" Burnished AGEs. It looks like the Mint is making the regular issue 2010 fractionals.

I knew it would happen.
    If you like the "W" Burnished AGEs then the 2008 1/10, 1/4, and 1 ounce really stand out as the keys..................
    jmski-

THANKS very much for the info.

I was preparing to sell my 2006 w AGEs but I didn't realize that the 2006 W has a lower mintage than the 2008 W - I had thought that the 2008 W Unc. AGEs were all keys. I guess that I'll keep the 2006 Ws for now - I sure hope that they don't tone like my 99Ws did!!!

When you say: I'm beginning to like the potential for the "W" Burnished AGEs." I assume that you're referring to the 2008 Ws. Is that correct?

Sure wish that I hadn't sold two of my three sets of 2008 W Unc. AGEs for $2400 each early last year :-(

Thanks!! Ron

<< <i>Raufus, I haven't tracked any 1/4 oz. 2007-W MS-70 ER Plats, so I don't know whether there is any premium on it. My best guess for the ebay price would be $525 to $575 with a chance of a bounce if platinum gets hot.

The 2007-W NCG MS-70 1/2 oz. Plat looks fairly-valued (in ebay terms) around $925 to $1,000 probably on the lower end to middle of that range. An ER sold recently for $930 so there is no premium for that one.

2006-W AGEs:
    1/10 oz. - 20,643
    1/4 oz. - 15,164
    1/2 oz. - 15,188
    1 oz. - 45,053

2007-W AGEs:
    1/10 oz. - 22,501
    1/4 oz. - 12,766
    1/2 oz. - 11,455
    1 oz. - 18,066

2008-W AGEs:
    1/10 oz. - 12,657
    1/4 oz. - 8,883
    1/2 oz. - 15,682
    1 oz. - 11,908

I'm beginning to like the potential for the "W" Burnished AGEs. It looks like the Mint is making the regular issue 2010 fractionals. >>

I'm also glad you posted this jmski. It's hard to keep these #s all in my head (where is Eric's book anyway???), so it's good to get 'em refreshed. Really points out the potential for the '08s. The 1/4 has already picked up a lot of steam, but the 1/10 oz doesn't yet seem to have caught fire, going for about $330, which is good but not outrageous. Time to pick up a few?
    the 1/10 oz doesn't yet seem to have caught fire, going for about $330, which is good but not outrageous. Time to pick up a few?

Considering that the lowest 1/10th oz. mintages prior to 2008 were (3) different proofs in the 34,000+ range and that the 2008-W Proof is at 28,116 - the Burnished Uncs all look like keys. Considering that the 2008-W 1/10th oz. Gold Buffs are regularly selling between $500 to $600 with mintages between 17,000 to 19,000 - I would think that one of several things could happen:

1) The Burnished AGEs continue to rise in relation to their relative scarcity within the series.

or,

2) The Gold Buffs drop back in line with the AGE series in terms of mintages vs. pricing.

or,

3) A combination of (1) and (2) as the AGEs have been continued for 2010 and the series is not dead.

or,

4) Gold could cool off in a correction phase, liquidity could dry up and the 1/10th ozers (both Buffs and AGEs) would drop back from an implied $3,000 to $6,000 per ounce.

When I was a kid perusing the Blue Book and the Red Book, I wondered why anyone would buy a Gold 1 Dollar instead of a $20 Liberty, because it seemed like you would get alot more gold in the $20 Liberty for the money. That was before I understood the full nature of coin collecting.

My guess is that the 1/10th oz. 2008-W Burnished AGEs are almost fully-valued, relative to other coins in other series. They might be good for a bit more gain but as long as the series isn't dead, that low mintage key status isn't carved-in-granite. Never trust the Mint.image

I knew it would happen.

• I sure hope that they don't tone like my 99Ws did!!!

Thanks!! Ron >>

Answer: They will in the next two years more than likely. You are paying for your education. Minor copper content in gold & silver moderns does not appear to like long term exposure to certain slabs.

Eric

• You guys will have nice master mintage listings with every series key shown in red in your hands in about 5 weeks. The books are printed and on a slow boat from China....
    Folks-

Be sure to check out the Viewpoint article "Van Buren First Spouse coin a winner" on p.7 of the 5/16 NN.

This is, by far, my favorite of the Spouse Libs. I was glad to see that someone else shares my views on this one.

However, beyond that - and the reason for my posting this - is the author's hilarious criticism of the hags. He just had me howling! This one's not to be missed. I seldom get such a laugh from a coin mag.

Ron

<< <i>I sure hope that they don't tone like my 99Ws did!!!

Thanks!! Ron >>

Answer: They will in the next two years. You are paying for your education on the topic of what coins can and can't be stored in certain types of holders long term.

Eric >>

Time to sell these...Thanks!

<< <i>Folks-

Be sure to check out the Viewpoint article "Van Buren First Spouse coin a winner" on p.7 of the 5/16 NN.

This is, by far, my favorite of the Spouse Libs. I was glad to see that someone else shares my views on this one.

However, beyond that - and the reason for my posting this - is the author's hilarious criticism of the hags. He just had me howling! This one's not to be missed. I seldom get such a laugh from a coin mag.

Ron >>

Link.

I like the Jackson better, and think it could possibly emerge as the "key" even though the Van Buren has a slightly lower mintage. The design elements are arranged better on the Jackson obverse. Also, Jackson is a more recognized and popular president than Van Buren, which will add to demand for that coin.

I would have liked the Van Buren better if they had added stars around the obverse, which were present in most of the Seated Liberty coins.

Sounds like the author is sitting on more than a few of the Van Burens! I haven't read such a vigorous promotion-disguised-as-article in a long time. Doesn't mean he's wrong, though. Personally, I've sunk all of my money into Abigail Adams, which I am SURE is going to outperform every other coin of the last fifty years!

Can't wait to get your book, Eric!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file