Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• I remember when the Buffaloes just came out, the TV guys were selling the 1/4 ounce in jewelry.
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No way would I sell one of my 2008-W unc sets for $6,500, way too cheap. >>

I hope so. I just listed my set with a starting bid of $5,500. eBay Link >>

image I just realized I placed this Buffalo set for sale in the wrong category. I mistakenly put it in Bullion > Gold > American Eagle

I cannot find any way to add or change the category.

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates

• << <i>

<< <i>If I were to decide to sell a Prosperity Set and a 1/4 MS69 buff, what do you folks think would be the best way to sell - such as Ebay, one of the big dealers, a buy/sell part of a metals forum, etc.?

I've got perfect feedback on ebay with about 500 transactions, altho most as a buyer and not a seller, and I'm aware that ebay gets roughly 10% off the top.

The best indication I have of what reasonable pricing would be - an average of recent ebay prices -10% if an off ebay sale.

What would seem to be the method of sale with the least risk involved? I don't have a good local dealer to work with, or I'd take that route. I've never sold any precious metals before. >>

Do try Wondercoin, I have read nothing but good things about his dealings. Also try local jewlery stores. a lot of times you can get a good price out of them and they may not keep the best of records. My local jewlery store/coin dealer offered 1350 a month ago for a unc 1/4 oz. buffalo that would not have graded better than a MS69, cash deal. Although the chances are not great, there are criminals operating on Ebay and if you happen to run into one, it can certainly ruin your day when they claim your box came empty. Be very careful who you sell to on ebay. good luck! >>

Thanks - I'm not familiar with "Wondercoin" . . . could I buy a clue, please?

I'm all too well aware of the potential problems with ebay - that's why I was asking about alternatives.
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Thanks - I'm not familiar with "Wondercoin" . . . could I buy a clue, please?

I'm all too well aware of the potential problems with ebay - that's why I was asking about alternatives. >>

Wondercoin

PM him if you want to sell any moderns.

SNMAN
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • I believe the only way to change your auction is to cancel all bids (Make sure you do!), and then end your auction saying that there was a mistake in your listing. You then can relist it in the right category. With an expensive auction, I would recommend registered mail, not priority, but it's your call.
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I've seen reproduction gold buffs in jewelry, but not any real ones. Coin jewelry has not been in style for a long time, we rarely even sell coin bezels for common coins like Eagles anymore. Used to sell tons of that stuff in the '80s and '90s. >>

There are currently several $5 gold eagles in rings for sale on eBay. I did see some $5 buffaloes in rings offered on eBay when the buffaloes were still available from the Mint, but none recently. I wonder how much people would bid on them now - I bet they would still fetch a premium, even in jewelry.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• GATGAT Posts: 3,146

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>No way would I sell one of my 2008-W unc sets for $6,500, way too cheap. >>

image I just realized I placed this Buffalo set for sale in the wrong category. I mistakenly put it in Bullion > Gold > American Eagle

I cannot find any way to add or change the category. >>

Send the one bidder a message first, cancel the auction, and re list it right. It's too valuable of an item to list wrong,
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perhaps it is still possible to add a category?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    If you expect to get top dollar take some decent photos-the cut and paste of US mint pictures is pretty common SOP with scammers and will discourage aggressive bidding for your coins.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I cannot find any way to add or change the category. >>

Send the one bidder a message first, cancel the auction, and re list it right. It's too valuable of an item to list wrong, >>

as long as the seller has "buffalo" in his title and description it will show up in buyer searches. catagory won`t matter as much in this case IMO.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Yeah.

No one drops $6-7K on a whim.

Like myself they will likely search "2008-w gold buffalo set".

It could under beanie babies and they would find it.

<< <i>If you expect to get top dollar take some decent photos-the cut and paste of US mint pictures is pretty common SOP with scammers and will discourage aggressive bidding for your coins. >>

(those look like scans. (some scans can be very good. those look blurry, though))

borrow a digital camera.

you need better pictures for better prices.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    adding a category::

1) revise listing.

2) on the top of the "Revise Listing Page" you will see::

Category
    This > Is > Where > Your > Current > Category > Is
    Add a second category
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>adding a category::

1) revise listing.

Category
    Add a second category >>

He can't revise it; there's been a bid.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try alohagary and dmarks as well. I have had good transactions with both of them in modern bullion and they are both forum members as well. Modern Coin Mart is another possibility, and they are legit although I haven't done business with them.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>

<< <i>adding a category::

1) revise listing.

Category
    Add a second category >>

He can't revise it; there's been a bid. >>

Correct. Cannot revise. I am going to let the auction run its course. I have 46 people watching (although I assume most of those watchers are not potential bidders, just people keeping track of the prices).
    I'm one of those watchers.

I should have realized it won't let you add a category with a bid, but adding a cat. even with a bid doesn't seem like a bad thing for the current bidder. Maybe a suggestion to eBay for a future change is in order.

At $5,500 the set is already at the previous baseline, and the last (2) ebay auctions that I tracked went in the $6,400 range. With that many watchers, there are some bidders in the mix to be sure. I like the auction's possibilities and think that it will do well.

I knew it would happen.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    I like this year's platinum designs. Better than last year at least. I can see this series not being offered for all six years Nothing is impossible after the debacle(cancellation) of the 09 AGE and ASE collector versions.
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I just realized I placed this Buffalo set for sale in the wrong category. I mistakenly put it in Bullion > Gold > American Eagle

I wouldn't worry about it... people don't search by subcategory; as 2manycoins said, anyone looking for this will type "2008 w buffalo gold" into a search.

If there were a number of false hits, a buyer might further narrow it by going to "coins & paper money" or even "bullion", but that's about it. If I were you, I would have zero concern about missing a potential bidder.
    Dan

• << <i>In modern times there has only been one real oppotunity to corner the market for a particular coin or series.

That was for certain 2008-W issues in fall 2008.

Especially the platinum issues and in particular the platinum burnished 2008-Ws.

All it would have taken was 1-3 million dollars and you could have had a shot at buying up to 90% of some issues.

A lot of great deals were available in late fall of 2008 as the financial world and stock market crumbled around us.

The 2008-W gold eagle $10 1/4 oz was heavily promoted on this thread at that time.

By chance one of my medical partners with no prior coin dealings or numismatic knowledge felt the need to own some gold and he asked me how he could go about buying some bullion.

I suggested rather than buying bullion he should consider buying directly from the US Mint some of the 2008-W gold $10 1/4 oz eagles.

We discussed the difference between straight bullion and coins with a numismatic premium and potential.

In the end he bought and still holds 50 of the 2008-W 1/4 $10 eagles.

You talk about beginers luck! >>

That was not luck, he received good advice! Most of the advice my friends give costs me money. image
    That is correct. It was not luck.

I knew it would happen.
  • Here is a $50 2008-W proof Buffalo that sold last PM for $4,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320522576392&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

While mintage may be high compared to other buffalos and various platinum 2008 issues it compares very favorably with other $50 proof buffalos and may be the key coin for the $50 proof buffalos for sometime to come.

As it appears the mint will continue the $50 proof buffalos then this coin may be the key in a long popular series of $50 gold proofs.
    Yes, that was a No Frills Buffalo listing that garned top dollar and the

First Strike Buffalo craze continues with this current auction.

I agree that any future issues on the Buffalo front will receive much higher mintages, unless, Gold goes ballsitic and as platinum experienced, the high prices drive Mint demand.

Miles
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sold earlier this evening...$6999 for a raw Buffalo Proof Set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Proof-American-Gold-Buffalo-4-Coin-Set-NR-/250624748551?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Coins_Bullion&hash=item3a5a662c07

Seems like someone might have gotten a good deal based on other recent sales.
  • 2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    From time of listing it lasted 4 minutes and 50 seconds at that price.

Draw your own conclusions........................

<< <i>From time of listing it lasted 4 minutes and 50 seconds at that price.

Draw your own conclusions........................ >>

Yeah, you are astute on that short auction as there are others for higher buy it now/best offer pricing

that may better define the going rate for a Raw Buff Set. Or you can watch

this Set!

Miles

<< <i>If you expect to get top dollar take some decent photos-the cut and paste of US mint pictures is pretty common SOP with scammers and will discourage aggressive bidding for your coins. >>

Thanks. I just took photos of all the coins and added it to my listing.eBay Link
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<From time of listing it lasted 4 minutes and 50 seconds at that price.>>

<<Draw your own conclusions........................ >>

Are we saying that somebody seriously lowballed themselves? If so, that wasn't the best set to do it with!

<< <i>

Thanks. I just took photos of all the coins and added it to my listing.eBay Link >>

you can't take a question and answer off a listing.

you practically promise they will grade a 70.

That is a mistake.

• CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Hey, what's the story behind your screen name/seller handle?

<< <i> Hey, what's the story behind your screen name/seller handle? >>

It's a long story, but I have been using it for over 15 years, and my mom thinks the FBI is keeping tabs on me, because of it.
  • GUINZO1975
  • One of the 4 coin sets on ebay is mine. I also have an uncirculated 4 coin set and I'm debating on wether or not I should sell it.
    GUINZO1975

<< <i>One of the 4 coin sets on ebay is mine. I also have an uncirculated 4 coin set and I'm debating on wether or not I should sell it. >>

My set is at ends tonight, and there is another set someone else is sellign that ends on Wednesday. So look for those results.
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    It's my set that ends Wednesday... image Selling if the price is right or I will continue to hold.
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580

<< <i>It's my set that ends Wednesday... image Selling if the price is right or I will continue to hold. >>

....................................................................................................................................................

Just one persons opinion(albeit with 6,500 feedback) but I wouldn't have a 6K plus auction ending midday on a Wednesday.

Also be aware many don't waste their time bidding when there is a reserve price and a high BIN.

I'll predict tonights close will beat your best bid by several hundreds of dollars.
    Congrats Hiijacker on your higher than wholesale UNC BUFF Set auction!

I see someone posted earlier that the 2010 UNC Buffaloes came in at 48,500 on first day sales. I guess the fever remains strong for all things Gold Buffalo.......

.....or just Gold.

Miles

Nice auction, Hiijacker! That must have been crazy during the last day and the last moments of your auction! $6,955.00 for a raw Unc Gold Buff 4-coin set! I'd say that the market isn't quite done yet! There's still some frustrated would-be buyers out there!

7over8, are you seeing this?image

I knew it would happen.
    Now you've done it!

Beatlejuice-beatlejuice-beatlejuice.
  • It is my view that the 2008-w mint state-69 $50 buffalo will trade at $5,000 by the time of series maturity all by itself. So a 4 coin MS set is not that bad at $6900. The set has had a 3.5 fold run in about 18 months but it will take a long time to double again. The W buffs are in the process of cooling off on a percentage basis.

Eric
  • BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭

Just one persons opinion(albeit with 6,500 feedback) but I wouldn't have a 6K plus auction ending midday on a Wednesday.

Also be aware many don't waste their time bidding when there is a reserve price and a high BIN.

I'll predict tonights close will beat your best bid by several hundreds of dollars.Text

You may be right. I have used reserve because there is a minimum I am wiling to sell for, if someone wants to buy the set they will. Many times I have been surprised by high BIN's selling, so in my opinion its worth it. As for the time of day the auction ends, most people are connected all day every day. I like to use different strategies with different coins, sometimes it works well other times not so well, in this case we shall see. Nothing ventured nothing gained, and in this case anything over $2,000 is a pretty good gain image
    BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In modern times there has only been one real oppotunity to corner the market for a particular coin or series.

That was for certain 2008-W issues in fall 2008.

Especially the platinum issues and in particular the platinum burnished 2008-Ws.

All it would have taken was 1-3 million dollars and you could have had a shot at buying up to 90% of some issues.

A lot of great deals were available in late fall of 2008 as the financial world and stock market crumbled around us.

The 2008-W gold eagle $10 1/4 oz was heavily promoted on this thread at that time.

By chance one of my medical partners with no prior coin dealings or numismatic knowledge felt the need to own some gold and he asked me how he could go about buying some bullion.

I suggested rather than buying bullion he should consider buying directly from the US Mint some of the 2008-W gold $10 1/4 oz eagles.

We discussed the difference between straight bullion and coins with a numismatic premium and potential.

In the end he bought and still holds 50 of the 2008-W 1/4 $10 eagles.

You talk about beginers luck! >>

That was not luck, he received good advice! Most of the advice my friends give costs me money. image >>

I think that many of the friends of forum members may have benefitted from our advice...

I overheard a co-worker's conversaton about selling some silver eagles for spot a back in '08. Based on the conversation I thought that he had a chance at having some '08 w/rev. of '07 ASEs. I described them to him and pulled up an image from the forum. He called me later saying that he had over 20 of them and wanted me to confirm this. He brought them over and indeed had around 30 of them. I took him to the Balto. show a day later where he immediately sold them to an established dealer for around $15.5K. He kept one which he gave me as a token of his appreciation. Had I not randomly overheard his conversation he would have sold them all at spot.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    He brought them over and indeed had around 30 of them. I took him to the Balto. show a day later where he immediately sold them to an established dealer for around $15.5K. He kept one which he gave me as a token of his appreciation. Had I not randomly overheard his conversation he would have sold them all at spot.

Bravo for you, Raufus and bravo for your friend!

The forum and threads like this help immensely because we get the benefit of expertise, of diverse and strong opinions, and of sharp-eyed data buffs. Put all those ingredients into the equation and it amounts to a great resource for decision-making.

I knew it would happen.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I overheard a co-worker's conversaton about selling some silver eagles for spot a back in '08. Based on the conversation I thought that he had a chance at having some '08 w/rev. of '07 ASEs. I described them to him and pulled up an image from the forum. He called me later saying that he had over 20 of them and wanted me to confirm this. He brought them over and indeed had around 30 of them. I took him to the Balto. show a day later where he immediately sold them to an established dealer for around $15.5K. He kept one which he gave me as a token of his appreciation. Had I not randomly overheard his conversation he would have sold them all at spot. >>

Great story.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

The First Day Sales Hit 48,500 for 2010 Gold Buffalo bullion Ounce Coins.

PS Glad I didn't sell my 2008 w coins, Lol.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all you trackers out there, a certain comrade is selling a 4-coin 2008W AGE Unc on the 'bay. Cheerleaders welcome.

<< <i>

<< <i>It's my set that ends Wednesday... image Selling if the price is right or I will continue to hold. >>

....................................................................................................................................................

I'll predict tonights close will beat your best bid by several hundreds of dollars. >>

.................................................................................................................................................................

Well auctions are complete and here is what we see.............2 different auctions for 4 coin Buffalo Unc. sets.

One a straight NO RESERVE auction brought $6,950.........SOLD

One a RESERVE auction with an above market BIN brought max bid of $6,200 and NO SALE.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300421319738&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

We have discussed this ad nausem on other threads but many people view reserve auctions as something to just skip over especially if there is an attached BIN that is above market.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    2010 American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Proof Coins go on sale June 3, 2010. Wow that is early.

Five years of ounce coins now and only one year of fractionals.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file