Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Platinum buffalo that I love to seeimage
    I look for buy one 2006 w ms70 pcgs 50 dollar first strike
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While waiting for the UHR in palladium, you can go for the Emu!!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Speaking of "Mint Intentions", maybe Eric or others can answer this query:

What has happened with the mint intention to produce the UHR in Palladium??

I miss the high-relief passion now that the Gold UHR has gone to the secondary market and continues to rise a bit.

Miles >>

Me, too, but that's just a function of the Ultra High Mintage (the UHR's UHM). It's a shame, really, because it is such a stunning coin.

As for palladium, ask my senator Max Baucus, who seems to be the big instigator behind this idea since palladium is mined here in Montana. I hate to seem them cannibalize the UHR design for this. Why not an original design with some real aspirations at beauty? >>

Well, I have no idea about mint intentions, but the threads on here were talking about bills introduced into committee by the Mont. Congress people.

As for an original design? I'm slowly finding myself appreciating the character of the classic designs more, although some modern stuff isn't too bad. But "isn't too bad" makes me scared for what might happen with a new design using a new metal. It could make it a non-starter. A proven classic design might draw those otherwise not interested in Pd into a purchase. On the other hand, there are those who may not buy because of the "same old" design.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    NY Counsel -

You're too funny. But honestly, I dont think that pic is close to my clean shaven white boy face - and you forgot the pile of gold buff fractionals in front of me!!!!

The issue here is what every knowledgable coin collector or investor should know - no market continues to go straight up - and these Buff fractionals have enjoyed a meteoric rise recently, some have eclipsed the fabled $5,000+ category.

Some on this forum just continue to beat the drum to enhance the value of their holdings while quietly selling in the "back room".

I'm not always correct, but i'm not wrong many times either - as you---NY COUNSEL---have found out as well as HALF---and others had to eat some humble pie.....in fact, I think you still owe me a beer.....

But I say what I say, without regard for what i'm holding, because when everyone seems to be riding the Gold Buff express----the euphoria takes over and they dont clearly think and realize that it can all end just as quick as it started.

I remember some really popular 2006-W fractional plats that were riding high once too, just like the gold buffs, 6 months or more (I know not as long as these), and pricing was damn similar - - $5500-$6000 for raw unc sets, $2000-2500 for 1/4's in 70, etc., and it all came tumbling down.

Never be afraid to take your profit. Just like many of you, the collector in me will always hold some of these coins regardless of what happens.

• Some on this forum just continue to beat the drum to enhance the value of their holdings while quietly selling in the "back room".
    ...............................................................................................................................................................................................
    You got anything to back up that statement?? >>

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the 2008-W Buffalo's are long term gainers. They may go down a bit, but I don't see these ever getting down to bullion unless bullion get so high that the value of the metal gets beyond the numismatic value. I think if they get low, I will buy one here and there to keep long term.

Now, I agree I would like to see a platinum or palladium version. Even a Nickel or clad Version would be really cool.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the 2006 reverse proof gold which has declined in value. When they first came out they were also in the 5K range for the 70 just for the reverse proof alone.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I'm not always correct, but i'm not wrong many times either - as you---NY COUNSEL---have found out as well as HALF---and others had to eat some humble pie.....in fact, I think you still owe me a beer.....

7/8 since you brought it up I think it is only fair that I point out you said to sell the gold buffalo coins exactly 1 year ago in this thread at m-u-c-h lower prices. Now only would anyone that listened have lost all the run up from there but possibly much more.

April 03, 2009

You said" I have commented on the Buffs and AGE's and some PLAT PROOFS, because they were the golden children for many on this forum, let me stress they "WERE"........with so many more struck that imagined, the possibility exists for those final mintages to be SKY HIGH, and some of those to be reduced to mere bullion in pricing.....time to unload....."

later someone asks Just curious, is anyone unloading their buffs or plat proofs???

7/8 said again Unload

I on the other hand have never said to sell any of the plats or buffalo coins. I have been consistent in that but I guess some are having memory lapses. This whole discussion was about what coins would do the best and I think the gold buffalos have proven those of us that said to buy were right. Those that only talked about the plat unc w coins as being the ones to buy in comparison were w-r-o-n-g.

Anyway it is silly to debate this anymore, the gold buffalos won and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to confirm that.image
  • I DON'T SEE MANY REVERSE PROOF GOLDS FOR SALE. WHY HAS THE PRICE DROPPED SO MUCH?
    Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I DON'T SEE MANY REVERSE PROOF GOLDS FOR SALE. WHY HAS THE PRICE DROPPED SO MUCH? >>

The economy? Prices haven't changed much for the last year...I believe the $50 RP is still under appreciated--won't be forever. 10,000 mintage for a one ounce gold coin of unique type makes it a home run--as long as the mint doesn't make more.
    well, there is a close example, the 20th anniversary set with the reverse proof.

The 70 RP FS prices appear to be in the $3k range now. I'd say that's a lot of numismatic value left.

Now, if only demand could be compared easily.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    Half -

You were wrong when commenting on where the final mintages would end up on the Proof Gold Buffs, and did not even believe the numbers Eric presented as the FINAL audited amounts. You continued to beat your drum that the numbers were wrong.

You also said that the numbers on the 08-W plats were wrong as well. That they were not going to be the new kings - which many of us told you they would be - and we didnt hear from you for a few weeks.

Well, time and information has proven you wrong. And it will again.

My timing may be off too, but the lesson is not. The guy who waits to squeeze every last dollar out of his holdings is eventually gonna get burned when it all tips and comes tumbling down.

You still haven't answered the question - posed earlier in the thread.......about the comparison to the 06-W RP AGE....but you ignore it and rather compare all the Buffalo gold to the 2001 silver dollar where price point has played the largest part in its prolonged price level since 2001.

The 2006-W Reverse Proof $50 Gold. 10,000 minted. In PR70 the coin flew to well over $5K. Now you can buy one for less than $3K. Much rarer than that $50 08-W Gold Prf Buff. Pretty popular too. 1 year type/finish.

My prediction is that you will be seeing a $3K pricetag (maybe sub $3K) for the 08-W 1oz proof gold in the very near future - in PR70DCAM, and maybe even in FS.

That's a big drop from the $8K now.

30% drop from their peaks - at least.

Big dealers are NOT buying at anywhere near the EBAY levels, that makes this a very thin market.

you'll have to better describe "anywhere near eBay" as any dealer big or small won't pay eBay "retail" and "bidiot" prices for anything.

as for a direct comparison, well they are a different design, but at least for the RP we have a lot better feeling for whether they'll make another any time soon.

and then there is demand... what is the demand for the RP vs the buff?

oh...

and what are big dealers paying for 70 RP FS right now?

keep your eye on R A R I T Y

it eventually wins out over all other attractions

EricJ has mentioned this many times, but many of you choose to ignore it and continue on..... in your tulip day trading.......

10,000 mintage for a 1oz Gold, AGE, in a 24 year old series, in a special 1 year finish - is a very fair comparision no matter how popular the Buffalo Gold design is........

keep in mind dealers "making a market" or "promoting" certain coins definitely drive prices both off and on the 'net

when the promoters are in "sell mode" and strong buys for quantities have dropped

watch out below.....
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some on this forum just continue to beat the drum to enhance the value of their holdings while quietly selling in the "back room".

I've got a sh*tload of 2003 nickels, the last of the old Monticello reverse and I'm tellin' you these things are going to the moon!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading these posts, I've come to only one conclusion: "My mind is made up, don't confuse me with the facts." image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • One increasingly frustrating problem with Ebay is that more and more it is simply a posting of ASKING prices rather than any true auctions.

I was looking at 2008-W platinum and gold and 95% of all listings are 'Buy it Now' or pie in the sky high starting prices with only the rare true auction.
    jmski

better use those nickels down at McDonalds.......or maybe to buy the paper in the morning, or for tolls for all of those that dont like to be tracked by EZPASS

i'll be right next to you breaking open the keelboat rolls...........

• GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One increasingly frustrating problem with Ebay is it more and more simply a posting of ASKING prices rather than any true auctions.

I was looking at 2008-W platinum and gold and 95% of all listings are 'Buy it Now' or pie in the sky high starting prices with only the rare true auction. >>

I've noted this, too, and it just turns me off to even considering most listings. I guess sellers are just hoping to land a sucker with most of these BIN prices.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Gold Proof Buffalo's still doing well.

Raw set just sold for $9000 - BIN

Single 1oz proof - $4000 - highest bidder.

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some on this forum just continue to beat the drum to enhance the value of their holdings while quietly selling in the "back room".

I've got a sh*tload of 2003 nickels, the last of the old Monticello reverse and I'm tellin' you these things are going to the moon!image >>

I HATE THE NEW JEFF OBVERSE, but I digress... image I'm gonna keep talking about it (although it'll never happen), let's have a 2013-W Buffalo mint set with a 1/10 plat, 1/4 gold, 1/2 palladium, and 1 oz silver. I can dream! image

<< <i>keep your eye on R A R I T Y

it eventually wins out over all other attractions

EricJ has mentioned this many times, but many of you choose to ignore it and continue on..... in your tulip day trading....... >>

I'm not saying it's NOT bubblicious,

but

let's look at those old commems.

ALL of the pricing is in direct relation to rarity and only rarity.

really?

<< <i>10,000 mintage for a 1oz Gold, AGE, in a 24 year old series, in a special 1 year finish - is a very fair comparision no matter how popular the Buffalo Gold design is........ >>

I agree it is much better than a burnished APE

but

there is the story behind the classic commems...

it's ALL rarity?

Luckily these designs are both pretty popular.... but again.... who is to say where demand is for each?

and what happened to price point?

<< <i>keep in mind dealers "making a market" or "promoting" certain coins definitely drive prices both off and on the 'net

when the promoters are in "sell mode" and strong buys for quantities have dropped

watch out below..... >>

that's a switch from "nowhere near eBay"

buying "nowhere near eBay" is a lot different than "sell mode"

They don't seem to go well with each other.

can you elaborate on both statements taken together?

And yes.... Bubbles pop

30% from here? From further up?

Or have we overshot where it'll base and will it be more like 40% from here?

I don't know.

I'm not questioning the bubble idea. However, I'd like to hear more about what you mean regarding the reasoning behind the future pricing.

<< <i>

<< <i>One increasingly frustrating problem with Ebay is it more and more simply a posting of ASKING prices rather than any true auctions.

I was looking at 2008-W platinum and gold and 95% of all listings are 'Buy it Now' or pie in the sky high starting prices with only the rare true auction. >>

I've noted this, too, and it just turns me off to even considering most listings. I guess sellers are just hoping to land a sucker with most of these BIN prices. >>

And they must not check completed auctions to see how successful certain prices will be. image

I'm publishing an "eBay pricing for Dummies" phamplet... in 96 point font it'll say "check completed auctions"

• these prices are extremely high compared to the original mint sales price. i put 1 4 coin proof set away for the kids and i am constantly tempted to take it out, sell it and buy Apple stock. I wonder 10 years out which will be worth more? I tend to think Apple. But i bought the coins to save as part of USA history. That part I can't replace.

So do I sell, buy Apple, wait and try to buy back in 10 years?

Heck I don't know if I will even be around to make that deal in ten.

Only 52 but dealing with illness so I am realistic.

The coins are beautiful together as a set.

I also have the 4 unc buffalos, PCGS 70 all but the 1/2 its a 69. I am going to send it back for reconsideration and an explanation why its also not a 70.

Its hard to sell. Easy for me to buy.

Next time I will buy two of whatever so I have spares.

What do you guys think of this years 2 comm.

I put a box of 20 BSA proofs away, 5 disabled vet proofs and 5 unc.

Do you think the demand will increase after the 100th anniversary jamboree?

Ships are safe in harbor but thats not what ships were built for.
  • There is a major risk leaving collectables of any type to your heirs.

Often they lack your knowledge to know how and where to go to get even a fair price.

How many times have we all seen widows bringing bags of coins into little local shows only to be completely at mercy of whatever dealer they first see.

Unless the heirs are very, very well educated on what you have in your collection, its worth and how to realize that worth then they are far better off if before your death you dispose of the collection and give them the money.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    *Half - You were wrong when commenting on where the final mintages would end up on the Proof Gold Buffs, and did not even believe the numbers Eric presented as the FINAL audited amounts. You continued to beat your drum that the numbers were wrong.*

Actually I wasn't wrong, the mint did revise those numbers down to what they are now. So the numbers they have now seem correct, the earlier ones w-e-r-e wrong.

*My timing may be off too, but the lesson is not. *

No, timing is everything. Telling everyone to unload over a year ago lost a ton of money to anyone that listened. So the lesson was don't sell.

You keep bringing up what might happen, and what might happen may not be what will happen. That is also the lesson.

You still haven't answered the question - posed earlier in the thread.......about the comparison to the 06-W RP AGE....but you ignore it and rather compare all the Buffalo gold to the 2001 silver dollar where price point has played the largest part in its prolonged price level since 2001.

Price point at that high mintage does not equal a guaranteed premium on any commemorative coin. If it was all about price point then the other silver commemoratives should trade that high but they do not. At that mintage there is little premium with the other coins in the series so price point in not the reason.

It has to be the design of the coin and I think everyone else here has said the same thing.

With the reverse proof gold eagle I can't see any comparison with this to gold buffalos. None of the gold buffalos are reverse proof or UHR either so it is apples and oranges.image
  • If I were to decide to sell a Prosperity Set and a 1/4 MS69 buff, what do you folks think would be the best way to sell - such as Ebay, one of the big dealers, a buy/sell part of a metals forum, etc.?

I've got perfect feedback on ebay with about 500 transactions, altho most as a buyer and not a seller, and I'm aware that ebay gets roughly 10% off the top.

The best indication I have of what reasonable pricing would be - an average of recent ebay prices -10% if an off ebay sale.

What would seem to be the method of sale with the least risk involved? I don't have a good local dealer to work with, or I'd take that route. I've never sold any precious metals before.

<< <i>If I were to decide to sell a Prosperity Set and a 1/4 MS69 buff, what do you folks think would be the best way to sell - such as Ebay, one of the big dealers, a buy/sell part of a metals forum, etc.?

I've got perfect feedback on ebay with about 500 transactions, altho most as a buyer and not a seller, and I'm aware that ebay gets roughly 10% off the top.

The best indication I have of what reasonable pricing would be - an average of recent ebay prices -10% if an off ebay sale.

What would seem to be the method of sale with the least risk involved? I don't have a good local dealer to work with, or I'd take that route. I've never sold any precious metals before. >>

I'd try BST for sure, and also Wondercoin. Just make sure you clearly state your terms.

<< <i>

What do you guys think of this years 2 comm.

I put a box of 20 BSA proofs away, 5 disabled vet proofs and 5 unc.

Do you think the demand will increase after the 100th anniversary jamboree? >>

Sorry to hear you're dealing with illness, but hope that situation improves. I think both buffs and Apple stock are at their peak, so...

This year's commems are a big disappointment to me. Completely uninspired. Both deserved really nice designs and, as is often the case, didn't get them.

• << <i>If I were to decide to sell a Prosperity Set and a 1/4 MS69 buff, what do you folks think would be the best way to sell - such as Ebay, one of the big dealers, a buy/sell part of a metals forum, etc.?

What would seem to be the method of sale with the least risk involved? I don't have a good local dealer to work with, or I'd take that route. I've never sold any precious metals before. >>

I like to peruse the Buy, Sell, Trade forum here for buyers looking for coins I'm interested in selling. I prefer doing this than dealing with Ebay.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    Don't know how well the Scouts will do, probably not very, but the smart move might be to hold on for Xmas, you might get a nice pop then.

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something to consider when using completed auctions as a price indicator:

Up to a certain amount, eBay "Buy It Now" auctions rebate 8% to buyers who use Cashback and another 2% to buyers using eBay Bucks. So this has to be taken into account when looking at prices of completed auctions.

From a seller's perspective, this should make "Buy It Now" more attractive, since it offers the opportunity to realize a higher price than can be obtained from a standard auction, which doesn't offer the Cashback discount.

A fair number of "Buy It Now" auctions are for reasonable prices (after the discounts). But these tend to sell quickly, so the ones that remain for viewing by potential bidders tend to have higher prices.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Clawdia Regarding selling I'd reccomend ebay-you'll pay $50 to ebay(start your auction at .99 and take really good photos) and about 3% to paypal.You could also take averages of closed ebay items subtract $50 and 3-5% and put them on the BST-if you go with BST I'd ask for payment with Postal money orders.You'll also be out $25-30 for insured shipping.
    I see several new sets of frac buffs on eBay this am.

Oh.... and what about the MMIX UHR? over 100,000 and they're not at melt.
    I wasn't watching the RPs back then, did the decline start before during or after the commodities bubble top and pop ?

I can't help but think the world and us economies plus gold prices are also strongly influencing prices here.

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the winning coin (profit wise) from year 2008 so far is the 2008-W burnished AGE $10. I believe this coin has strong legs with the 8,883 mintage.
    The 2008-W $50 uncirculated buffalo will over take the 2008-W burnished AGE $10 profit wise at some point. With a mintage of 9,074, the 2008-W uncirculated $50 buffalo will be the HUGE winner of 2008!

Gold Proof Buffalo's still doing well.

aficionado, do you track BINs all the time? If so, what percentage of them do you think actually sells?

Another question for the ebayers, what's ebay's take for a $9,000 BIN these days? I'm really kind of curious.

I knew it would happen.
  • 3% for Paypal.
    A modest $50 for Ebay
    Appox. 15-35% of $7,000 profit for IRS
    0-10% for Revenue Department of ? state of residence.

I assume anyone who had $2000 to buy a gold set likely is in a income bracket where state and federal taxes apply.
  • Here was a very, very strong price for a 2008-W gold eagle $10 in PCGS MS69

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110520637237&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As the last split I saw for graded coins was appox. 50/50 for PCGS MS69/70 this would imply the average unscreened raw coin has a value over $1250.

<< <i>Gold Proof Buffalo's still doing well.

aficionado, do you track BINs all the time? If so, what percentage of them do you think actually sells?

Another question for the ebayers, what's ebay's take for a $9,000 BIN these days? I'm really kind of curious. >>

Nope, I don't track BIN.

Just reading this thread and watching the Buffalo bubble like everyone else.

If I've noticed anything, is that there are a lot more Unc. Buffalo's for sale than Proofs.

<< <i>Looks like the winning coin (profit wise) from year 2008 so far is the 2008-W burnished AGE $10. I believe this coin has strong legs with the 8,883 mintage.
    >>

So the question becomes, is this coin's price pure speculation or is the collector base for $10 AGEs strong enough to drive up prices? Anyone here think there are 10,000 people collecting $10 AGEs by date?
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So the question becomes, is this coin's price pure speculation or is the collector base for $10 AGEs strong enough to drive up prices? Anyone here think there are 10,000 people collecting $10 AGEs by date? >>

Collecors love hoarding multiple examples of key dates. The 2008 W burnished $10 AGE is the key to ALL AGE finishes and denominations. Look how the higher mintage (11,000+ - 15,000+) $25 2006-W, 2007-W, 2008-W burnished AGE are doing on the greysheet. Compare those mintages to only 8,883 of the 2008 W $10.
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So the question becomes, is this coin's price pure speculation or is the collector base for $10 AGEs strong enough to drive up prices? Anyone here think there are 10,000 people collecting $10 AGEs by date? >>

Collecors love hoarding multiple examples of key dates. The 2008 W burnished $10 AGE is the key to ALL AGE finishes and denominations. Look how the higher mintage (11,000+ - 15,000+) $25 2006-W, 2007-W, 2008-W burnished AGE are doing on the greysheet. Compare those mintages to only 8,883 of the 2008 W $10. >>

I'm curious what explains the impressive rise of the '08-W unc $25 AGE when it actually has a higher mintage than its equivalent '06 and '07 counterparts, in fact significantly higher than the '07, and the '07's are harder to locate. On paper there is absolutely nothing even relatively special about this coin.
    Collecors love hoarding multiple examples of key dates. The 2008 W burnished $10 AGE is the key to ALL AGE finishes and denominations. Look how the higher mintage (11,000+ - 15,000+) $25 2006-W, 2007-W, 2008-W burnished AGE are doing on the greysheet. Compare those mintages to only 8,883 of the 2008 W $10.

What he said. All of the low mintage burnished AGEs are doing well.

I'm curious what explains the impressive rise of the '08-W unc $25 AGE when it actually has a higher mintage than its equivalent '06 and '07 counterparts, in fact significantly higher than the '07, and the '07's are harder to locate. On paper there is absolutely nothing even relatively special about this coin.

Agreed. It may be that there are more transactions taking place for the more recent issue, giving the market more chances to react upwards. It might also be that the final mintages are still somewhat suspect or at least not everyone knows what the final mintages really are. I don't know that there's been an official announcement to the press on the 2008-W mintages yet, has there?

For that matter, was there ever an official announcement on the 2007-W AGE mintages? I know that some of the blogs had numbers, but I don't recall anything official that was published. Maybe I've simply forgotten during all the excitement.image

I knew it would happen.

I put this down to ignorance. I just don't think most people are aware how high the mintage is on these. Then again, I never suspected the $25 buff to do well either, and look at it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file