Home U.S. Coin Forum

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• 7,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    The mint should offer the Buffalo Silver Fractionals. I think the 1/4 ounce silver would be hit among buffalo collectors since it would resemble most the classic buffalo nickel. Legislation would have to be passed though.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Half

We could go back and forth for hours on this, tit for tat.

I admit that i'm not always right, but i'm definitely not wrong as many times as you are. Your last great mis-call was the mintage levels of many 08-w coins, including the gold buffs and plats.

So - hang onto those super inflated Buffs.......and watch them deflate in the coming months.......but if you have only a small herd, dont worry so much. If you are a collector at heart, who cares?

IMO, and my prediction is that there will be a special offering of some fractional "collector" buffalo gold in a special set coming, just like the USM had intended for a few years ago, but never released it.

Eric -

I could see the dealer network getting these issues as well, but also the far more profitable-per-unit collector market too, most likely in a special set.

Either way, dealer network bullion fractionals would have a negative effect on pricing of 08-w fractionals, due to demand destruction intended on acquiring "type" coins.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>7,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

Congrats on another milestone.

We could easily cross 10,000 when your book hits the streets.

R95
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Buffs are a popular design. Popular designs keep coming back! If that's not enough, 2013 is the 100th anniversary of the design...we'll see them again.

• << <i>Buffs are a popular design. Popular designs keep coming back! If that's not enough, 2013 is the 100th anniversary of the design...we'll see them again. >>

There might not be a 2013. image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i> >>

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Either way, dealer network bullion fractionals would have a negative effect on pricing of 08-w fractionals, due to demand destruction intended on acquiring "type" coins.

So why hasn't the 2008 w unc 1 ounce gold buffalo had demand destruction? Same situation, same coin design, no destruction.

Because it is about the mintages and demand, not type coins.

Anyway 7/8 you can claim what you want all I remember is I went with the gold buffalo coins as the best winners and that proved to be the correct call, you went with the unc plats and they have been sleepers in comparison. That is what was the big call was on this, which was the better play, gold buffalos or plats.

PS Any bullion release of gold buffalo would be very large mintages IMO, many thought the 2009 gold eagle fractionals would be low mintages and those were very high. So I am not worried about it, the mint can't even do the proof gold eagle fractionals at this point. Doing any bullion fractionals though is a risk for the mint as it may not increase total revenues and could potentially reduce demand for the 1 ounce size coins, not the fractionals.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when are the fractional plat buffs coming out again?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when are the fractional plat buffs coming out again?

Don't put it past them. They do whatever moves them when their attention span permits.

I'd still like to see a 1 oz. UHR in palladium. Yeah, like that's ever gonna happen while palladium is below $1,000/oz.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>when are the fractional plat buffs coming out again? >>

The mint has never said they would, some are using it as wishful thinking it seems.image
  • OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>when are the fractional plat buffs coming out again? >>

Right after the rhodium First Pets! image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

Half

The one oz unc 08w Buff is the true rarity of the series. Rarity always prevails. Your favorite proof 1 oz buffs will fall from the sky very soon, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand that what everyone is witnessing is a huge tulip bulb craze.

As for what i've played in moderns.......EVERYTHING. Maybe more of one than another, but i've bought my share of Buffs direct form the USM and am very happy with the growth.

The one area where we differ is where these are topping out. I will always hold some back as a collector, but you cannot avoid selling at these prices.

Will the fractional buffs appear again.........using past mint flip-flop statements as a guideline, absolutely.

One thing you should know for sure, the demand created by the one year run and feverous drive up in prices afterward, leaves the USM with the perfect opportunity to give the public what they want.........more fractional buffs.

7/8 while you were worried about the gold buffalo prices today I was out fishing and caught a nice 2 pound and 3 pound trout. That shows you how worried I am, lol.

BTW if the mint did the buffalo fractionals as bullion I think they would have to individually wrap each coin since they are 24k and I doubt they would do it for so little gain. You can keep dreaming about it but at this point it is only a dream, the mint is actually cutting back even more right now, not adding more products.

Now what about those plat coins, remember those? If platinum prices keep rising it hurts those premiums even more as we already saw before. It is not about true rarity in the short-term and that is what we are dealing in.

• "It is not about true rarity in the short-term and that is what we are dealing in."

That's what you are dealing in......

I think in terms of 30-50 year ultra long cycle taxable events that can save peoples estates and give the kids family heirlooms that are hard to find and take after they have fallen into 40 year black holes.

Eric
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I think in terms of a 30-50 years ultra long cycle taxable events that can save peoples estates and give the kids family heirlooms that are hard to find and take after they have fallen into 40 year black holes"

Eric... Now wait a minute... I thought we were only talking 20-30 year cycles here?? I don't have 50 years!!!!!

Wondercoin image
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Yes but Justin does Lord willing.
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Only 50 years.....

In 50 years we will still have Lincoln cents to collect I bet.....

And the platinum coins we have doubled in price image
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • As a followup to their prior buy offers, Modern Coin Mart has a full spread ad selling 2008-W gold buffalos in this weeks Coin World.

May 3rd issue, page 49, all NGC

• << <i>As a followup to their prior buy offers, Modern Coin Mart has a full spread ad selling 2008-W gold buffalos in this weeks Coin World.

May 3rd issue, page 49, all NGC >>

I don't have a subscription - do you know what they were asking for 2008-W 1/4 buffs? And did they have MS69s or just 70s?
    Wondering if they printed prices, or just expect you to get them from their website.
    2 many -

Just as expected. 2 major dealers over the last 2 weeks now selling at super inflated prices....(but in some cases, not as high as ebay ask prices)

Prices are coming down boys and girls.......as I said once before......take some profits, the big boys certainly are......

I know Half is out there cleaning up his catch of the day, I guess you dont get so worried with your single digit holdings. LOL......Half dont take it so hard - you know we like to kid everyone around here.

Just so you are in the right frame of mind, I never worry about my holdings, I've rarely been hurt in any mint offerings - and have stayed away from the pure bs offerings....like Washington Covers, remember those?

7/8

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As a followup to their prior buy offers, Modern Coin Mart has a full spread ad selling 2008-W gold buffalos in this weeks Coin World.

I don't have a subscription - do you know what they were asking for 2008-W 1/4 buffs? And did they have MS69s or just 70s?
    Wondering if they printed prices, or just expect you to get them from their website. >>

$1650 for a PCGS MS69 and here is their Web Link for more pricing.

They are trying hard to reach the ebay prices and ebay continues to pull ahead...

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    More like they are underpinning ebay prices to get sales, which usually is the pre-cursor to a falling market

• << <i>

<< <i>As a followup to their prior buy offers, Modern Coin Mart has a full spread ad selling 2008-W gold buffalos in this weeks Coin World.

Wondering if they printed prices, or just expect you to get them from their website. >>

Welcome back, Clawdia. I remember you posting when there were still some 08W coins available. I hope you were able to get your hands on some before the prices took off! image
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks

• << <i>More like they are underpinning ebay prices to get sales, which usually is the pre-cursor to a falling market >>

image as you have been saying, they aint going up forever. I do not think the prices will fall much, but the steady increases are just about over.

I am going to sell a few buffs , buy a gun I have been wanting, and try to fill in a few gaps in the 2006-2008 platinum series.
  • I think this is a record high for the 2008-W gold eagle 1/4 $10.............$1599

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130381480427&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

• << <i>

<< <i>

Welcome back, Clawdia. I remember you posting when there were still some 08W coins available. I hope you were able to get your hands on some before the prices took off! image >>

Hi - thanks! I've been doing a lot of reading but not saying much lately.

I did manage to pick up one MS69 1/4 buff, an unc. 1/4 and a 1/2 proof still in the boxes.

I'm sitting on a Prosperity Set, too.

Like a lot of people, I'm now trying to decide whether to sell and take the money off that table - particularly the MS69 1/4 and the Prosperity Set.

I lost a bunch of $$ on JDSU back in the good old days when greed got the better of common sense, and I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I've a few '08W fractionals that I'm wondering the same thing about these days.
  • nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    If I were to sell, I think I'd go with the Prosperity Set and the MS69 1/4 in that order.
    Dan
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

$1650 for a PCGS MS69 and here is their Web Link for more pricing.

They are trying hard to reach the ebay prices and ebay continues to pull ahead...

Miles >>

Thanks for posting the link, Miles. I love the specials--ONLY $750 for an NGC Proof 70 $5 gold buff! I'd say these will be slow-movers at these prices, but having myself once bought a 2006-W plat at similarly inflated prices, I'm sure they will have no problems moving these.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has potential. Has anyone capitalized from it, since it started ?

• << <i>This thread has potential. Has anyone capitalized from it, since it started ? >>

................................................................................................................................................

I wouldn't buy/sell/trade Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues without it!image
  • Hi all my friends
    I look for buy one 2006 w ms70 pcgs 50 dollar first strike
  • Hi Eric what do you think abouth to keep the buffalo or sale on this point ?image
  • Let me answer the question this way. The buffs in all forms dated 2008 are going to cool off on a percentage basis from here on out. I think there are better places to put ones duplicate money over the next 5 years beyond what you hold for your personal collection.

Its easy to go from $300 to $2000 but not so easy to go from $4000 to $10,000. So if you hold a $50 proof buff with a fancy tag going for $7k where do you think its price will be in five years?

Eric
  • Is because I put some buffalo on eBay pcgs ms 70 and pr 70 f/s and I was confuse if take profit now or wait to see what happen
  • I think the buffalo now is the fever on all denomination but the they going down.....
  • I think is the buffalo fever but then all denomination going down......
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think is the buffalo fever but then all denomination going down...... >>

all of the fractional and the 1 ounce buffalo go down? all types of gold coins go down? all types of precious metal coins go down?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    The buffs in all forms dated 2008 are going to cool off on a percentage basis from here on out

Eric -

I agree on cooling off, however, the run up was far to quick and on a short term basis has exceeded all normal models.

So, while I dont disagree with your statement, it must be added that we will see some falling prices in the near term before any real stabilazation occurs.

The coins are overpriced. It is a bubble.

Especially the 1/2's of both finishes, the 1 oz proof, the 1/4 proof and to a lesser extent the unc. The dimes are just a low entry point in terms of price, but cooling from 550 raw to 400 raw is not out of the question.
    How many times have I heard all this before on the way up?image
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if someone has mentioned this already - I have not had time to catch up on my favorite thread but will do so this weekend.

In case it has not, did you guys catch the $9500 NCG NON-FS PF70 Buff set?? Just keeps going up.....
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

• << <i>Sorry if someone has mentioned this already - I have not had time to catch up on my favorite thread but will do so this weekend.

In case it has not, did you guys catch the $9500 NCG NON-FS PF70 Buff set?? Just keeps going up..... >>

But like 5 weeks ago I set ncg non early release pf70 sold for $11500 and then one for $9500 tha don't mean nothing just one guy was desesperate for buy the set
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    OK. I'm trying to wrap my simple little mind around a recent thought...If a true "type" collector collects by design, denomination & composition; wouldn't the 2004 plat be a lower mintage than the 2008--if you add the burnished and proofs?
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be watching that one 2ManyCoins as he has good feedback, a return policy, and strong prospects for a profit!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    Half

And you'll be hearing it on the way dowwwnnnnn!!!!!!! too.

The FEW auctions that hit any new highs are surrounded by a sea of RED - unsold auctions on ebay.

It's over for now, take your money off the table or take less next month.

Looks like a few of our big "posters" here are taking their profits.....maybe you should follow their lead....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file