Home Metal Detecting

~~~~~ VIRTUAL TREASURE HUNT III (Game Over! Prizes awarded!) ~~~~~

Comments

• How about it Mr. eyoung429, some more hints???
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"what saying would relate to us." >>

"How do you keep a metal detectorist in suspense?"
  • Nobody has worked the clue that Marym has supplied....it's the final portion of the answer
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • The Battle of the River Plate
    AT 5.20 in the morning of 13 December the British cruisers were in a position about 240 miles due east from Cape Santa Maria on the coast of Uruguay and some 340 miles from Montevideo. While daylight was breaking, the ships carried out the normal routine of dawn action stations and again exercised the tactics to be employed against an enemy raider. The ship's companies fell out from action stations at 5.40 a.m. and reverted to their usual degree of readiness. The squadron then reformed in single line ahead, in the order Ajax, Achilles, Exeter, zigzagging on a mean course of north-east by east at 14 knots. The sun rose at 5.56 a.m. in a cloudless sky, giving extreme visibility. There was a fresh breeze from the south-east, with a low swell and a slight sea from the same quarter.

At 6.14 a.m. smoke was sighted on the north-west horizon and the Exeter was ordered to investigate. Two minutes later she reported: ‘I think it is a pocket battleship’. Almost simultaneously, the enemy was sighted by the other cruisers and action stations was sounded off in all three ships. When the alarm rattlers sounded in the Achilles, a signalman with a flag under his arm ran aft shouting: ‘Make way for the Digger flag!’, and proceeded to hoist a New Zealand ensign to the mainmast head to the accompaniment of loud cheers from the 4-inch gun crews. For the first time a New Zealand cruiser was about to engage the enemy.

This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

• ok.....

I will award the following positions:

109 - Bochiman - for the correct relation to the clue "Stanley steamer"
    110 - marym - for the correct reference to the "Digger's diary"
    111 - walkerminus1 - for the correct reference to the date and the battle
    112 - Omega - for putting 3 of the clues together correctly

The cry " Make way for the Digger flag " is where I was going with this. This phrase was still being used frequently and brought to mind our outings with md'ing.

• Wow, I need a drink now.

Rob

I believe I'm not deserving of my position but have become addicted to this game so I'm glad I'm in.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Ok, let's go to the easy round. This is for slot # 113

Who, when, where, and why was the first metal detector invented? You must have all 4 answers in a single post to win this position.

• Thank you Earl! Now what I want to know is this, how long did take you to come up with that clue???!!!
    By the way, my next guess would have been completely wrong. I was going to suggest it had to do with Stanley Steamer (and his twin brother) traveling through Ajax enroute to Denver (which I was going to guess is where you are from )where they built the Stanley Hotel. This hotel has been highly publicized for being haunted, the ghost hunters use many differant types of detectors in their quest to validate the ghost sightings.

You certainlyhave kept us on our toes with this one! image
    Be Still and Know
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whew!

Thanks Earl! That was tough!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• In 1881, Alexander Graham Bell invented the first metal detector. As President James Garfield lay dying of an assassin's bullet, Alexander Graham Bell hurriedly invented a crude metal detector in an unsuccessful attempt to locate the fatal slug. Bell's metal detector was an electromagnetic device he called the induction balance

In an effort to find the bullet, Alexander Graham Bell rigged up a crude metal detector. After several passes, Bell said he had located the bullet. It was much deeper than was originally thought.

With Garfield's condition growing steadily worse, doctors decided to cut him open to remove the slug. It was not found.

What Bell had actually located so deep in the body was the metal spring under the mattress! No wonder they couldn't find the bullet.

This took place in Washington DC at the Whitehouse image

• D.Rat-
    Don't forget the "where"
    (whitehouse)
  • Since it is such an interesting subject here is more in-depth information on the first metal detector.

The first metal detector Dr. Bell used on President Garfield was made using a large primary coil with a smaller secondary coil fixed to it. The coils were mounted on a handle for scanning; the unit is to the left of the picture.

There is a similar set of coils, to the right of the picture, mounted on a platform. The small coil on this unit was adjusted to balance the electrical circuit for a null in the buzzer signal heard in the earphone. The balancing adjustment was made without the presence of metal near the portable coil set. The portable unit when brought in the presence of metal unbalanced the circuit and produced a note in the earphone. The range was only an on inch or two. The figure below is the circuit used with this four-coil detector.
    Click Here to see the magnetic field distortions and listen To Dr.Bells metal detector probing a bullet.

Bell and his assistant worked many days with different coil designs. They experimented with a number of circuit configurations and components. They tried different numbers and types of batteries and condensers. In frustration they returned to a coil and circuit that Dr. Bell had created while working on the telephone the previous year in England. They discovered that it had a consider table improvement in range, more than double that of anything they had worked thus far. This was at a time when the president was doing poorly. They hurried through the night to produce this new detector. A re-creation of it is shown above. It consisted of two large coils, a primary coil connected to the rheotome (buzzer), a condenser, and a battery, and the secondary coil connected to an earphone.

In the evening of 7/26/1881, Bell and Tainter brought apparatus very much as pictured above to White House and tested it on President Garfield. They scanned the President, back and fourth many times adjusting their equipment. They had a lot of trouble with this experimental run. They had wired the condenser incorrectly to the rheotome and didn't realize it until several days later. The rheotome was acting up mechanically first indicating some signal then none. The loud noise from the rheotome, located in the same room, interfered with the observer trying to listen for the low buzzing signal in the earphone. The rheotome, the batteries, and condenser were moved to an adjacent room with the door closed. All in all they believed they detected a slight evidence of the bullet, but it was not reliable enough.

The two coils are mounted in a pair of sliding blocks of wood with a handle. They are connected together with ebonite thumbnuts. The blocks are adjusted back and forth to null the buzzing sound with no metal present. Dr.Bell and his assistant spent considerable time sliding the blocks back and forth to get a perfect null from the detector. At one time Bell uses a hammer for a fine adjustment to sock the coil to a null condition. On 8/1/1881 At the White House most of the equipment was placed in another room to eliminate the noise coming directly from the buzzer. This equipment was placed on a small table with an assistant attending them while the observer used the portable coil to scan for the bullet in the president. Dr. Bell was still unable to find a definite location for the bullet. Sadly the president died several days later of infections cause by poor medical practice and not directly from the bullet.

• Interesting reading, but incorrect.... Mr. Bell was the first person to utilize an EXISTING device for personal PORTABLE use.

walkerminus1 pm'd me a partial correct answer one minute prior to your reply...but wasn't complete.

Hint: the term metal detector wasn't the true name of the device.

• << <i>Interesting reading, but incorrect.... Mr. Bell was the first person to utilize an EXISTING device for personal PORTABLE use.

walkerminus1 pm'd me a partial correct answer one minute prior to your reply...but wasn't complete.

Hint: the term metal detector wasn't the true name of the device. >>

Your question asked "Who, when, where, and why was the first metal detector invented? "

Now you tell me it wasn't called a metal detector. image
  • it is still the same device....just simplified by renaming it. Mr. Bell just made it portable.

• While preparing for an evening lecture in April 1820, Hans Christian Ørsted developed an experiment which provided evidence that surprised him. As he was setting up his materials, he noticed a compass needle deflected from magnetic north when the electric current from the battery he was using was switched on and off. This deflection convinced him that magnetic fields radiate from all sides of a live wire just as light and heat do, and that it confirmed a direct relationship between electricity and magnetism.

At the time of discovery, Ørsted did not suggest any satisfactory explanation of the phenomenon, nor did he try to represent the phenomenon in a mathematical framework. However, three months later he began more intensive investigations. Soon thereafter he published his findings, proving that an electric current produces a magnetic field as it flows through a wire. The CGS unit of magnetic induction (oersted) is named in honor of his contributions to the field of electromagnetism.

His findings resulted in intensive research throughout the scientific community in electrodynamics. They influenced French physicist André-Marie Ampère's developments of a single mathematical form to represent the magnetic forces between current-carrying conductors. Ørsted's discovery also represented a major step toward a unified concept of energy.

Ørsted was not the first person to discover that electricity and magnetism are related. He was preceded in this discovery by 18 years by Gian Domenico Romagnosi, an Italian legal scholar. An account of Romagnosi's discovery was published in 1802 in an Italian newspaper, but it was overlooked by the scientific community.

In 1825, Ørsted made a significant contribution to chemistry by producing aluminium for the first time.

Hans Christian Ørsted died in 1851, and was buried in the Assistens Cemetery in Copenhagen.

• In 1821, soon after the Danish physicist and chemist, Hans Christian Ørsted discovered the phenomenon of electromagnetism, Davy and British scientist William Hyde Wollaston tried but failed to design an electric motor. Michael Faraday, having discussed the problem with the two men, went on to build two devices to produce what he called electromagnetic rotation: a continuous circular motion from the circular magnetic force around a wire and a wire extending into a pool of mercury with a magnet placed inside would rotate around the magnet if supplied with current from a chemical battery. The latter device is known as a homopolar motor. These experiments and inventions form the foundation of modern electromagnetic technology. Unwisely, Faraday published his results without acknowledging his debt to Wollaston and Davy, and the resulting controversy caused Faraday to withdraw from electromagnetic research for several years.

At this stage, there is also evidence to suggest that Davy may have been trying to slow Faraday’s rise as a scientist (or natural philosopher as it was known then). In 1825, for instance, Davy set him onto optical glass experiments, which progressed for six years with no great results. It was not until Davy's death, in 1829, that Faraday stopped these fruitless tasks and moved on to endeavors that were more worthwhile.

Two years later, in 1831, he began his great series of experiments in which he discovered electromagnetic induction, though the discovery may have been anticipated by the work of Francesco Zantedeschi. His breakthrough came when he wrapped two insulated coils of wire around a massive iron ring, bolted to a chair, and found that upon passing a current through one coil, a momentary current was induced in the other coil. The iron ring-coil apparatus is still on display at the Royal Institution. In subsequent experiments he found that if he moved a magnet through a loop of wire, an electric current flowed in the wire. The current also flowed if the loop was moved over a stationary magnet.

The title page of The Chemical History of a Candle (1861)His demonstrations established that a changing magnetic field produces an electric field. This relation was mathematically modelled by Faraday's law, which subsequently went on to become one of the four Maxwell equations. These in turn have evolved into the generalization known today as field theory.

Faraday later used the principle to construct the electric dynamo, the ancestor of modern power generators.

In 1839 he completed a series of experiments aimed at investigating the fundamental nature of electricity. Faraday used "static", batteries, and "animal electricity" to produce the phenomena of electrostatic attraction, electrolysis, magnetism, etc. He concluded that, contrary to scientific opinion of the time, the divisions between the various "kinds" of electricity were illusory. Faraday instead proposed that only a single "electricity" exists, and the changing values of quantity and intensity (voltage and charge) would produce different groups of phenomena.

Near the end of his career Faraday proposed that electromagnetic forces extended into the empty space around the conductor. This idea was rejected by his fellow scientists, and Faraday did not live to see this idea eventually accepted. Faraday's concept of lines of flux emanating from charged bodies and magnets provided a way to visualize electric and magnetic fields. That mental model was crucial to the successful development of electromechanical devices which dominated engineering and industry for the remainder of the 19th century.

In 1845 he discovered the phenomenon that he named diamagnetism, and what is now called the Faraday effect: The plane of polarization of linearly polarized light propagated through a material medium can be rotated by the application of an external magnetic field aligned in the propagation direction. He wrote in his notebook, "I have at last succeeded in illuminating a magnetic curve or line of force and in magnetising a ray of light". This established that magnetic force and light were related.

In his work on static electricity, Faraday demonstrated that the charge only resided on the exterior of a charged conductor, and exterior charge had no influence on anything enclosed within a conductor. This is because the exterior charges redistribute such that the interior fields due to them cancel. This shielding effect is used in what is now known as a Faraday cage.

Despite his excellence as an experimentalist, his mathematical ability did not extend so far as trigonometry or any but the simplest algebra. However, his experimental work was consolidated by the able James Clerk Maxwell, who developed his equations which lie at the base of all modern theories of electromagnetic phenomena. Faraday, nevertheless, was able to convey his ideas in clear and simple language.
  • You are getting closer.....Just a bit ahead though..now who was the person who took that knowlege and applied it to what we now call a metal detector? Hint: dang good ice cream

• DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Ben and Jerry?
  • The only one I can come up with is Heinrich Wilhelm Dove. (Dove Bar? was that your hint Earl?)

Dove was a pre-eminent Prussian (Polish?) meteorologist in the 19th century and in 1853 in London he published the first edition in English of one of his most important meteorological writings. Dove "rendered a signal service to the observational representation of the general circulation by producing monthly maps of isotherms of the globe which are to this day the foundation of the maps of temperature in many atlases. His monthly isotherms which reviewed observations of temperature from 1729 onwards were preceded...by Humboldt's chart." He is considered the founder of the entire superstructure of accurate climatological knowledge.

All I can think is that he developed a magnetic induction device to study magnetic fields which helped him in conducting research into isotherms and such.

I have to get some work done so if that is not the answer then good luck to everyone else on this "easy" question. image

• Cool, you have the inventor correct DR!!!

• << <i>Cool, you have the inventor correct DR!!! >>

Sorry Earl, but I've put in way too much time on this already and really do have a business to run.

Whatever it was that Heinrich W. Dove invented that ultimately became a metal detector is so obscure that not one of the main encyclopedia's or search engines on the web mention more than the fact that he was the first person to measure electrical current by collapsing a magnetic field. As for when he did it, it was probably in 1835 or thereabouts. Where he did it was probably in Prussia and why he did it I haven't clue.

I'm done

Thanks!

Danny

• << <i>Straight from the encyclopedia...

Heinrich W. Dove invented the induction balance system, which was incorporated into metal detectors a hundred years later. Early machines were crude and used a lot of battery power, and worked only to a very limited degree. The Scottish physicist, Alexander Graham Bell, unsuccessfully used such a device to attempt to locate a bullet lodged in the chest of American President James Garfield in 1881 >>

But when did he invent it, where did he invent it and why did he invent it. It says; "The German physicist Heinrich Wilhelm Dove invented the induction balance system, which was incorporated into metal detectors a hundred years later.

A. Dove died in 1879 and his work in the field of electricity seems to have taken place in the 1830's. If his induction balance system was not incorporated into metal detectors until 100 years later it puts the first use of his invention in a detector in the 1930's or later. Alexander Bell who by all other accounts was the inventor of the metal detector used his in 1881.

B. The induction balance system was "incorporated" into metal detectors which indicates it was but one of the components used in modern detectors but was not in and of itself a metal detector. One could make the case that conductive wire was incorporated into metal detectors as well but it does not make the inventor of conductive wire the inventor of the metal detector.

symantics
  • talk about jumping through hoops... geeze

jeff
    I collect bits and pieces of everything
    or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
    I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes
  • more like squeezing through one of those bubble wands.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

• << <i>I didnt say I had the answer... I simply said... "Straight from the encyclopedia" >>

• << <i>

<< <i>Ok, let's go to the easy round. This is for slot # 113

Who, when, where, and why was the first metal detector invented? You must have all 4 answers in a single post to win this position. >>

Now... if the FIRST ACTUAL METAL DETECTOR... AS STATED IN YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION... HERE IS ALL 4.

You may have changed things up in the middle... but this is the answer.... per your orignial question.

Alexander Graham Bell
    President James Garfield's death bed
    to locate the fatal slug

Thats my story, and im sticking to it. Im also done. >>

I already posted all that stuff about Bell. image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I can see the IQ of the VTH3 has risen considerably in my absence. image

Think I'll go crawl off back to my lair, now.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    For an additional 10 points:
    Where is this lair?
    When did LM first occupy it?
    What beverage was first consumed in said lair?
    What color is the night sky on the Planet Pluto? (careful)
    How many micrometers of snow have fallen in Estes Park in the last week?

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• << <i>For an additional 10 points: Where is this lair? When did LM first occupy it? What beverage was first consumed in said lair? What color is the night sky on the Planet Pluto? (careful) How many micrometers of snow have fallen in Estes Park in the last week? imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage >>

Careful ? ? ? Planet Pluto? :-)
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259/

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • In all fairness....after looking at the facts...I will be the first to admit that I didn't word the question fairly. My apologies everyone.

The induction balance was used to find metallic minerals in the earth and was used in early ore proccessing to separate and find precious metals. I find that my original intent was too vague and stood to be argued....

113- goes to DesertRat
    114- goes to 30Anvz28

so, here is where we stand:

109 - Bochiman - for the correct relation to the clue "Stanley steamer"
    110 - marym - for the correct reference to the "Digger's diary"
    111 - walkerminus1 - for the correct reference to the date and the battle
    112 - Omega - for putting 3 of the clues together correctly
    113 - DesertRat - for all the wonderful information on Mr. Bell
    114 - 30Anvz28 - for finding out where I screwed up and for his time.

Next 3 slots are going to be easier.

Slot 115 will be awarded to the first person posting at 9am.

Slot 116 will be awarded to the first person posting at 12 Noon

Slot 117 will be awarded to the first person posting at 3pm

posting before the time will not get it, so make sure you watch the clock!

• i'll take it
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i'll take it >>

How do we know that your a person and its after 9 AM where you are?

• What time GMT?

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • I think it can be argued that he meant 9am his time which is who knows when.

Rob

I believe eyoung429 just can't win on this one.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
  • im in?

• my post is at 9AM central time and i was first.... lets see what time zone was meant now
    gotta love the vagueness of these questions and such. Adds excitement to everything image

• Ok.....I see that I am just not going to get it right.

Posting times are GMT