Home Metal Detecting

~~~~~ VIRTUAL TREASURE HUNT III (Game Over! Prizes awarded!) ~~~~~

Comments

• imageWOOOOOO 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you were 1001. image

Now I'm 1002. image

Hey, nice work, Gary... that's a lot of jewelry! I especially like the ladies' ring you found for Mary, and the Buddhist medallion is ubercool. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Ok, Let's find out who's awake and see where this will take us today.

This is going to be a 3 day round (have a family emergency that requires a LOT of my time at the moment) But, the round must go on!!!

First person to answer this question correctly will acquire position 109!

I want to know the circumstances and date of the correlation of the following words: "Stanley Steamer" and "Ajax" and what saying would relate to us.

I will check back in around noon to see if anyone has the correct answer.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Ajax is kinda broad ranging from a cleansing agent I remember when I was a kid to new software and even a character in the "Iliad" by Homer. can you narrow it down any?
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".

• << <i>Ok, Let's find out who's awake and see where this will take us today.

This is going to be a 3 day round (have a family emergency that requires a LOT of my time at the moment) But, the round must go on!!!

I want to know the circumstances and date of the correlation of the following words: "Stanley Steamer" and "Ajax" and what saying would relate to us.

I will check back in around noon to see if anyone has the correct answer. >>

They are both cars. Ajax appeared in 1906 while Stanley Steamer set the land speed record in 1906. And the saying is "You Suck" because I just don't know.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Return on Investment $0.68
    Found but keeping $.15
  • The Stanley Steamer museum is only about 25 miles from me, didn't know about an Ajax though

• << <i>

<< <i>Ok, Let's find out who's awake and see where this will take us today.

I will check back in around noon to see if anyone has the correct answer. >>

They are both cars. Ajax appeared in 1906 while Stanley Steamer set the land speed record in 1906. And the saying is "You Suck" because I just don't know. >>

Let me add too this a little...Ajax the cleaner was introduced in 1947 and Stanley Steemer opened shop in 1947. Different spelling of steamer, but a second date. Now maybe how it relates to us (meaning MDers) is that a lot of stuff pulled out of the ground requires cleaning??? Saying has to include dirt somehow, tough on dirt is/was Stanley Steemer's slogan and stronger than dirt was Ajax's. Still working it out, I'll try not to become a clone of 30AnvZ28 and post another 200 messages.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Hmmm....wrong track.

Nobody said that this was gonna be easy image
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

• Damnn the Ajax, Stanley. Full steam ahead------------------;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage

• << <i>I have figured it out... I think... but cant figure out the saying that would relate to us. >>

Here's an idea, just start posting every single combinations of words you can think of until you get the correct one. Just make sure you do each guess in a different post.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15

• << <i>Hey... Phut stated that only one guess per post... I was abiding by the rules... Earl did not state this... so it could be one long post.... >>

Yeah, but one long post wouldn't get us out to a good start towards 2000.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
  • Not even close....Like I said, this is going to be a long round and none of the questions are going to be easy.....

Here is a little clue. There is a hint in the original post made by LM

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the late 1700's, Captain Ajax, the notorious pirate, sailed the seas in his Stanley Steamer ship with a cargo of gold doubloons. He buried his treasue and, in recent years, a metal detectorist had uncovered a cache of his. Inside were some 1788 gold doubloons. One of which is offered as the prize for VTH3!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Well, I have to say that Bochiman is at least the most creative......however wrong he is at this point, he IS on the right track!!!

Decent round? 30AnvZ28- I'd say that this "test" is indicitive of the amount of trouble I have had to go through MD'ing in the snow image.....speaking of which, it is snowing again for the 9th week in a row in Colorado.....image

• Nope, didn't go back out there....too much snow and mud

• Ok, here's my first guess. In Ajax Colorado, there is a Stanley Steamer cleaning company. The hint was in LM's digger's notes about our esteemed eyoung429. image
    Be Still and Know
  • Didn't realize that this was going to be this hard....

Ok, here's the clues so far:

Stanley Steamer
    Ajax
    Something about LM's 1st post is a hint
    Bochiman has hit upon a part of it

Mary just gave everyone another hint in her answer.

• Ajax and Stanley Steamer were both automobile companies...
    My guess is that both cars were on the same "track" somewhere in CO around 1906?
  • OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    O.K., my guess: I got home from a long day of work...I went virtual treasure hunting to relax...the riddle made me research obscure tidbits of information and try to formulate a reasonable connection to some other obscure information...hey, sounds like work!
    Ajax, Stanley Steamer, and ME...We all dig dirt! That is all...continue with your games!
  • Okay, There is no relevant connection to cars.....

eyoung works for stanley steamer in Aspen (Ajax Mountain)
    While cleaning a carpet he sucks up a gold Spanish coin???
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭
    Someone got steamed in Ajax Colorado when a guy named Stanley dug a gold coin in their backyard?
  • What does LM record in his finds? Hint: Marym hit upon it.

Too hard....give both MaryM and I slots for partial answers image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

In Ajax, CO, someone found a cache of gold doubloons when they were building a Stanley Steamer place.

• << <i>I want to know the circumstances and date of the correlation of the following words: "Stanley Steamer" and "Ajax" and what saying would relate to us.
    >>

Ok, let's do a little Sherlock Holmes style deduction here.

Earl says the words "Stanley Steamer" are a main part of the riddle and yet later on he says "There is no relevant connection to cars.....

Since the riddle has no relevance to cars, we can only assume "Stanley Steamer" is a reference to the carpet cleaning company as a google search of the term comes up with either the car or the carpet cleaner.

Ajax - Mary mentions a town of "Ajax Colorado" which is actually another name for Aspen. Earl is from Colorado so there may be a connection there somehow, although how Ajax mountain or Aspen related to "Stanley Steamer" I'm not sure. I'm almost certain that Ajax as it relates to Colorado plays an important part in the solution however.

Of course the reference to Ajax could be the cleaning powder as well, in which case all bets are off and I'm back to square one.

Earl says there is a hint in LM's 1st post. I am assuming he means LM's 1st post of this thread, since going back to LM's 1st post in this forum would be a difficult task. That 1st post is a long one though so the hint could be anywhere.

Earl then narrows it down by saying Bochiman "is on the right track" in his pirate themed response. I would assume it must have something to do with the prizes listed in LM's 1st post since the rest of Bochi's answer was basically satire.

Looking at the prize descriptions however I can find no relevance to a town or mountain in Colorado or a car that is not a car but is rather a carpet cleaner or something to that effect.

Mary evidently gave everyone another hint in her answer which most likely was the reference to LM's "diggers notes" since Earl later mentioned "what does LM record in his notes?".

Going down the road that clue opened, if we take a look at Rob's notes we notice that LM always lists these facts in each of his diggers notes;

Digger:

Date dug:

Site:

Detector:

Ok, so now we look at what things do LM's notes have in common with the Earl's riddle? Well, Earl mentions he wants to know the date of corelation of the two terms, which points me towards a date, possibly in one of LM digs or at least in the digs done to date (1-9)

Of all the digs done so far there are only three with coresponding dates.
    Round 1, dug by LM on January 15th
    Round 3 dug by Goldrush00013 on Jan 15th

Round 5 dug by Zot on Jan 7th
    Round 6 partially dug by Phut on Jan 7th

Looking at the digger notes for those digs that had corresponding dates I can see nothing remotely evident as being similar to Ajax or Stanley Steamer.

Since LM's 1st post mentioned both VTH-I and VTH-II, I looked at those threads for digs that may have corresponding dates to VTH-III digs.

Round's 3, 4 and 5 of VTH-I were dug on February 7th, 2005 and we had targets 76 thru 84 of Round 7 of VTH-III dug on that same day this year but again, no obvious corelation.

So what have i learned after all this detective work???

It was was either Colonel Mustard, in the Ballroom with the Candlestick.

Or.....

I HAVEN'T A FRIGGIN CLUE!!!! image

time for bed image

Danny ---- image
    All that work image

• Is it over yet?
    When in doubt, choose "B"...

• << <i>

Ok, let's do a little Sherlock Holmes style deduction here.

Earl says the words "Stanley Steamer" are a main part of the riddle and yet later on he says "There is no relevant connection to cars.....

Since the riddle has no relevance to cars, we can only assume "Stanley Steamer" is a reference to the carpet cleaning company as a google search of the term comes up with either the car or the carpet cleaner. >>

The only problem there is "Stanley Steamer" is the car, the carpet cleaner company is "Stanley Steemer”. So Sherlock, was the misspelling of steamer an accident on Earl's part, or has he lead you down the wrong path yet again?

<< <i>So what have i learned after all this detective work???

It was was either Colonel Mustard, in the Ballroom with the Candlestick.

Or.....

I HAVEN'T A FRIGGIN CLUE!!!! image >>

I have to agree here, I haven't a friggin clue either.

Rob

I believe steamer was supposed to be steemer.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me the whole thing is just getting people steamed.
    Even with the clues I haven't got a clue!
  • Okaaay.....Good attempt Desert Rat.....albeit....

If you take the words "Stanley Steamer and Ajax" .... keep this in mind during the process...

The clue regarding my comment in Bochiman's statement "Stanley Steamer ship" has to do with ships

The clue with LM's 1st post was to keep ppl on the water/ship theme.....nothing about cars nor the cleaner..was trying to get everyone back on track

The clue with Marym's post had to do with what LM calls his diary (hint * word is in a phrase that occurred during this event)

'Nuther hint: 1939 Was the first time a New Zealander cruiser did something.

Ps. I will have to make the other ones a whole lot easier I guess.....

• << <i>Okaaay.....Good attempt Desert Rat.....albeit....

If you take the words "Stanley Steamer and Ajax" .... keep this in mind during the process...

The clue regarding my comment in Bochiman's statement "Stanley Steamer ship" has to do with ships

The clue with LM's 1st post was to keep ppl on the water/ship theme.....nothing about cars nor the cleaner..was trying to get everyone back on track

The clue with Marym's post had to do with what LM calls his diary (hint * word is in a phrase that occurred during this event)

'Nuther hint: 1939 Was the first time a New Zealander cruiser did something.

Ps. I will have to make the other ones a whole lot easier I guess..... >>

1939 saw the HMNZS Achilles take place in a battle against a German cruiser some two years before New Zealand had a Navy. Do it have to do with this?
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
  • You are very close!!!!!

1939 saw the cruiser Ajax (and others) try to trap the Graf Spree at the River Platte? It was the first time a New Zealand Cruiser (Achilles)fired a shot in WWII? They sortied from Port Stanley in the Falklands.
    Or maybe the answer is "B"
  • "what saying would relate to us."

• << <i>The clue with Marym's post had to do with what LM calls his diary (hint * word is in a phrase that occurred during this event)

>>

LM has his "Digger's Diary", and somehow we are virtual diggers in this treasure hunt, and then there is the 1939 HMNZS Achilles battle at sea...it's all starting to form a clear picture in my mind now!!!

NOT!!!image

Edited when I was able to see it was sea and not see.
    4/92
    4/123
    -----------
    Invested $216.76
    Found but keeping $.15
    A battle along the Spanish Main?