Home Metal Detecting
Options

~~~~~ VIRTUAL TREASURE HUNT III (Game Over! Prizes awarded!) ~~~~~

Comments

• Options
    I'd like that 106 slot.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    But I also know who wrote Key Largo too.
  • Options
    1679.4 for slot #104
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Thanks.

<< <i>What do you mean The Thin Man is not a bad book? It's a great book! >>

I liked The Thin Man but his other famous one was a better read.
    I never saw The Thin Man TV show, was it based on the book?
  • Options
    Laserart is number 106

<< <i> But I also know who wrote Key Largo too. >>

marym is 104.

How you doin' Mary?

98, 99, 101, 103 and 105 are still open.

Think I'll do lunch while the others catch up.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks Gary!! I'm doing good, will be doing better when Maine comes out of the deep freeze. Brrrrrrr
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Okay, since I'm this close to filling all the spots, I'll finish up and break

For 107 - Who started carving the Crazy Horse Memorial?

For 108 - What does the 45 and the 70 in 45-70 caliber mean?

97. Bochiman
    98. Trivia answer needed
    99. Trivia answer needed
    100. Kevinstang
    101. Trivia answer needed
    102. Man
    103. Trivia answer needed
    104. marym
    105. Trivia answer needed
    106. Laserart
    107. Trivia answer needed
    108 Trivia answer needed

Be back later...

imageimageimage
  • Options
    98. Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. ?
  • Options
    Edited to not give away the answer....
  • Options
    If neither of those are correct, I have 104 too image
  • Options
    Korczak Ziolkowski started Crazy Horse.
  • Options

<< <i>While you folks are chewing on number 98 (and it will remain open until correctly answered)

For number 99..Who is this actor?

image >>

Claude Rains - The Invisible Man, 1933
  • Options

<< <i>While you folks are chewing on number 98 (and it will remain open until correctly answered) For number 99..Who is this actor? image >>

He is kind of hard to see ! ! !

Jerry >;-)
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hello Jerry. Glad you could drop by. Nice digs there buddy. I took a look at the link for that park. Looks interesting. DesertRat and I might invade. I see that I shouldn't worry about posting "Most Cash Value" this month. Guess the only chance I will have is when everyone is thinking about Christmas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bravo folks. Hope I have spurred your interest in things other than metal detecting. Good books and good movies, never enough time.

98 Dan the Man knew the answer to 1943's Best Picture - Casablanca. "Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

99 Goes to the Rat Man for knowing that was Claude Rains in The Invisable Man, 1933. Claude Rains was also Louie in the movie Casablanca.

And 107 goes to PurelyPSA for knowing that Korczak Ziolkowski started carving the Crazy Horse Memorial in Custer, SD.

101, 103, 105, and 108 are still open. Give me an answer folks.

Here's the recap

97. Bochiman
    98. Dan8402
    99. DesertRat
    100. Kevinstang
    101. Trivia answer needed
    102. Man
    104. marym
    106. Laserart
    107. PurelypSA
    108 Trivia answer needed

imageimageimage
  • Options
    >>I see that I shouldn't worry about posting "Most Cash Value" this month<<

Feb. is going SLOW for me. About $11.00 and my month stops this Thursday when I take my finds to the local club meeting.
    Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Here are some hints for the trivia.

Question 101 - 3 April 1865: Battle of Namozine Church, VA. and 6 April 1865: Battle of Sailor's Creek, VA
    Question 103 - It's not Hemingway
    Question 105 - Look up Humphrey Bogart movies
    Question 108 - 45 is the caliber, the 70 is what?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭
    in 45-70, 45 is the caliber, 70 is the powder weight in grains.
    imageimage

• Options
    he captured the enemy flag and won the medal of honor ... TWICE!

oh, and:

"only person in the Civil War to win two Congressional Medals of Honor"
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭
    And here I thought I had seen some huge holes left behind from detectorists..................until I saw that Bobcat sitting there.............don't think I've ever seen anyone detect from a bobcat before.

That must eliminate all need for pinpointing, huh? image
    imageimage

• Options
    #103 Richard Brooks
  • Options
    Only two left folks, and Riccar answered the hardest one of the lot. Thomas Ward Custer won not 1, but 2 Medals Of Honor during the Civil War. They were at the Battle of Namozine Church, VA., 3 April 1865. He captured the enemy flag and won his first medal of honor. Then on 6 April 1865 (3 days later) at the Battle of Sailor's Creek, VA, he again captured the enemy flag and won his second medal of honor. The only soldier in the Civil War to win two Medals of Honor. And his brother was the best dressed man at the Little Bighorn. Figure that one out.

GaCoinGuy knew that 45-70 is .45 caliber and 70 grains of powder. That bugger can kick too.

97. Bochiman
    98. dan8402
    99. DesertRat
    100. Kevinstang
    101. Riccar
    102. Man
    104. marym
    106. Laserart
    107. purelypSA
    108 GaCoinGuy
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i> #103 Richard Brooks >>

I must correct myself on this one and award the last two spot to wazari777 and smokinjoe925. The original play Key Largo was written by Maxwell Anderson. The screen play was written by both Anderson and Richard Brooks. And I thought it was a book. Thank you for correcting me guys.

wazari777 number 103
    smokinjoe number 105

We're done.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    For number 103 is it Maxwell Anderson? Thanks

Joe
  • Options
    Okay, we have our Round 9 players. They are

97. Bochiman
    98. dan8402
    99. DesertRat
    100. Kevinstang
    101. Riccar
    102. Man
    103. wazari777
    104. marym
    105. smokinjoe925
    106. Laserart
    107. purelypSA
    108 GaCoinGuy

The correct answer to question 105 was the MalteseFalcon. Hammet wrote it along with The Thin Man and it was made into one of the best B&W movies ever made. My opinion of course.

Be back in about 1 hour with the results.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Round 9 Targets 97-108 Results.
    Bentfork substituting for goldrush00013

This round was dug in three parts.

Targets 97, 98, and 99

Tuesday January 30, 2007
    Desert Sands Park, Palmdale, CA
    Time 11 AM
    Temperature 53 degrees Fahrenheit

Desert Sands Park is located in Palmdale, CA. It is one of the smaller parks in the area and is near what used to be the city limits of Palmdale in the 1890s. It has ballfields, a tot-lot, a soccer field, and rec center. Also of significance is that at one time the Butterfield Overland stage line ran through this area. There wasn't an official stagestop in Palmdale though. The city fathers of Palmdale are remodeling the old district. In 5 years this park will cease to exist due to one of the development projects. I did not obtain any scene shots of the park.

This is another of my regular detecting spots. I come here most often during my lunch hour. Like Lancaster City Park, I've had some good finds here. Coinage and jewelry are my usual finds, but I have found a horseshoe and several late 1800s relics near the park boundry. I decided today to detect along the creekbed on the west side of the park.

The first target that came up was multiple hits with varying VDI numbers. It covered a big area - approximately an area of one-half square foot. When I was finished digging, I had chewed up about that much real estate because,

Target #97 Bochiman was a pocket spill with eight coins. One dime (1983-D), one nickel (1980-D), and six pennies (1980-D, 1960-D, 1977 no mint mark, 1982-D, 1985-D, and a 1956-D. You got a wheatie! How did that get in there? Congratulations on the wheatie.

imageimage

target #98 dan8402 was a clad 1996-D quarter

The final target at this site caused me to do some head scratching. I've found several religious medallions here in the Antelope Valley, but never have I found one of these

DesertRat your target #99, is a copper Hindu religious medallion. At least I think it's Hindu. It’s approx 1.5 inches in length. How did this end up in Antelope Valley? It can't get weird enough for me.

imageimage

Targets 100-105

Friday February 2, 2007
    Lancaster City Park, Lancaster, CA
    Time 9:30 AM

This is the park that I hunted for round 3. This time I hunted directly north of the area in round 3.

My first target here ended up being a keeper. Good solid hit, not too deep, and low on the gold scale.

Kevinstang, Target# 100 is a child’s or baby’s gold ring. No markings, but I’m guessing 8K or 10K gold.

imageimage

Target# 101 Riccar is a 1994-D nickel.

Man, you got as Target# 102 a 2000-D clad South Carolina 50 States quarter

Target #103 wazari777 is a .925 Silver crucifix. It was bent and in need of cleaning when I found it. Here’s the before and after pictures. It’s approximately 2 inches in length.

imageimage

Wow, I’m having a good day. My next target is also a ring

marym, you found as Target #104 a ladies .925 Silver ring. Here’s the picture after it was cleaned up.

Target #105 smokinjoe925 is a 2005-D penny and 2005-D clad dime in the same hole.

Targets 106, 107, and 108

Totem Pole Ranch
    Palmdale, CA
    February 2, 2007
    Time 3:00 PM

Totem Pole Ranch is a local rodeo grounds and recreational facility. It is approximately 45 years old and is utilized by many groups for various activities. It has an arena for rodeos, a pavilion that is used for live band music and dancing, a concession stand, skeet and trap ranges, and a 25 acre open area used by the Boy Scouts and other groups for various functions. It is situated on the “old road” that was very heavily utilized in the 1920s by the Army Corps of Engineers. In 1972 the “old road” was bypassed by the current paved road 200 yards to the west.

During the summer rodeos are held here. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department comes here frequently to ride and train on horseback. The Boy Scouts camp out in the open area. Civil War era cannon matches take place in the open area. When movies and television shows are filmed in the Antelope Valley, mess trailers, dressing room trailers, and sleepers are parked in the open area. A movie has been filmed there too.

This also is one of my favorite detecting spots. It has a high volume of foot traffic most all year. Money, jewelry, pocket knives, and old coins, are just some of the articles I have found here. Rings, watches, and old coins fall out of the pockets and off the hands of bull riders, calf ropers, barrel racers, saddle bronc riders. During the summer the owner turns the ground to loosen it for the rodeo. When he does so, he gives me a call to come hunt. The rodeo arena is where I hunted. Below is a picture of “Moni” (pronounced Moe-nee). She is the resident lady of the arena and follows me everywhere I go. Needless to say, you don’t lay your detector down. She might step on it. Plus, you have to tiptoe through Moni’s business when you hunt here. What we won't do for metal detecting...

Laserart Target #106 is a lost key.

PurelyPSA Target #107 is a Winchester .32 caliber rimfire cartridge. Not .22, but .32. Not your average modern caliber weapon. Probably used for some rodeo show firearms demonstration.

Target #108 GaCoinGuy is a coat button.

Here's the collection.

Again, I want to thank you for letting me dig for you folks in VTH III. I’ve enjoyed it and hope to do so again. Thanks for participating in the trivial pursuit.

Up next is Earl!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    AWSOME dig bent, nice gold!
  • Options
    Those are great digs Gary!
    Some really cool jewelry finds.
    I really appreciate you stepping in for me!

Thanks!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Fantastic round - Bent
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    Another nice round! Great pics. Nice to remember what things look like under the snow!!!
  • Options
    By the way, if anyone can translate Hindu let me know.

Now, I want to show you folks what I dug up the other day. I'm sorry that it wasn't part of the VTH round though. It's a ladies Steel model Guess watch with diamond. I found it in soft turf at another park about 1 inch down in the ground. Seriously! And it was still running when I found it. Best jewelry for February.

imageimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Laserart Target #106 is a lost key.

Looks like a found key to me.
  • Options
    How true!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Only two left folks, and Riccar answered the hardest one of the lot. Thomas Ward Custer won not 1, but 2 Medals Of Honor during the Civil War. They were at the Battle of Namozine Church, VA., 3 April 1865. He captured the enemy flag and won his first medal of honor. Then on 6 April 1865 (3 days later) at the Battle of Sailor's Creek, VA, he again captured the enemy flag and won his second medal of honor. The only soldier in the Civil War to win two Medals of Honor. And his brother was the best dressed man at the Little Bighorn. Figure that one out.
    >>

But, you left out part of what made it really remarkable....he was shot in the face! and still got the colors and got back!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
  • Options
    Good job, Gary.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    On the way to 1,000 posts! ! ! We are at: <FONT face=Verdana size=1>986 with this post. ;-)

Jerry</FONT>
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds, especially the little gold ring ! - at least virtually can say I found gold now- never found any detecting.
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Now that's a shovelimage

Nice virtual hunt Jerry!!
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice hunt Gary!!
    Looks like you had a good jewelry day(or two).

Caption: I don't care what your little machine says, you are not getting my shoes!
  • Options
    Nice finds Gary!

The amulet appears to be of a Thai Buddhist Monk, possibly one of the so-called "Great Guru Monks".
    imageimage

Here is an amulet for the Great Guru Monk "Luang Pho Doem"
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have to fly out tonight....round 10 will be started on Tuesday am.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Interesting. I guess it could be Thai instead. That would be more logical here in the AV. Anyone else know what this could be, or how it translates? After having looked it up on the internet and finding there are many "Great Guru Monks", I concur with Danny on this one. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Another great round Gary! You've had incredible luck locating jewelry, two rings and a diamond watch, not bad!! Thank you image
    Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Ahh!

I want to shoot myself four times!
    I missed yet another round...
    One when I was sleeping due to early bed time ( 10 PM Kuwait) and another when I was at the foresaken learning penitentiory called school.
    Hopefully I'll be lucky and get in on as many rounds as possible.

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    So how many kids have you collected so far kidcollector?
  • Options
    Currently 16, I'm aiming for a Nice MS 60 right now....
    Costs alot...

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    Gary,

The Guess watchis a keeper. It's selling on EBay for $95.00!!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    That watch is in great shape for being underground.
  • Options
    Ok, I'm sorry, but I can't resist.
  • Options
    1000!!!!!