Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Havn't posted my "need" list lately. Let me know if you have the following.. Not going to be picky on the grades for now. Would like to be at 100% by the end of the year.

33 Thorpe
    35 Nagurski
    48 Turner
    52 Matson
    57 Starr

Once these are knocked off, I will start the upgrade process.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread's been a little dead lately, so I thought I'd liven it up by showing off my new "toy". Been looking for a really nice Unitas 8 for a while...I mean a REALLY nice one..and I couldn't find one that met my uber-picky standards. So I had to pry this one from one of our fellow board members...

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Nice centering and corners, are you going to resub for a potential .5 bump?

Doc

<< <i>Nice centering and corners, are you going to resub for a potential .5 bump? >>

Nah, I'm happy with it just the way it is.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread's been a little dead lately, so I thought I'd liven it up by showing off my new "toy". Been looking for a really nice Unitas 8 for a while...I mean a REALLY nice one..and I couldn't find one that met my uber-picky standards. So I had to pry this one from one of our fellow board members...

image >>

Shag,

That is a very sweet Unitas...probably the best centering that I've seen..congrats! I picked up my 8 about 9 months ago and it is the cornerstone of my collection.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    From one Andy to another, congrats on that Unitas, that is a really great looking card
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I think that Unitas is .5 worthy, but even without the .5 on the flip, its as high end for the grade as you'll ever see. I'm amazed with so many PSA 8 graded Unitas rookies that SO many are actually low end for the grade. I'm in the market for a just a descent/average for the grade Unitas and can't seem to find one...

It truly is in the upper class of vintage rookie cards.

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Awesome JohnnyU Andy. That card was definitely worth the wait.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • ironrangerironranger Posts: 167 ✭✭
    That Unitas looks like Jason's example that was already submitted for a .5 bump. Nice card.

• << <i>That Unitas looks like Jason's example that was already submitted for a .5 bump. Nice card. >>

Strikingly close

Great card Andy, congratulations on a fantastic pickup. Nice to see your obsessiveness about centering finally pay off image

joe

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Centering stinks on that Saint Clair for a nine

<< <i>Centering stinks on that Saint Clair for a nine >>

Agreed. Should be an 8.5 at best. This one is undoubtedly going to go for a lot less than the last one that finished around $6,500 (I think).
    Another Wehrli 9 popped up:

Wehrli 9

On a side note, I'd bet any amount of money that this card is trimmed.

<< <i>Another Wehrli 9 popped up:

Wehrli 9

On a side note, I'd bet any amount of money that this card is trimmed. >>

After measuring the card in proportion to a couple of other Wehrli RCs, it definitely comes up a tad short...I don't know that it means it is trimmed. It's a very small %, just under 1% actually, so it's very possible it came from the factory short with such a small margin of error.

Also, could be an illusion. The clear rails inside the PSA holder that keep the card in place look like they disappear in the scan..On the left it looks to disappear at the point where Wehrli's elbow is located. On the right side, it disappears as soon as it starts...If you are using the holder to determine size, then it looks WAY OFF because the rails aren't there...But if you measure, its very close..

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the gallery....Andy.....your Johnny U is one of the very best 8's I have ever seen.

When I saw the 55 St Clair....I was thinking a nice 8....but certainly no 9......but it counts the same.

IMO the wehrli isn't trimmed. 4SC doesn't end auctions early...so we shall see where this one goes.

ebay item number 30023878978

not sure if I did this link right...but trying to get a link to a 1955 bowman jim ringo psa 8 that is on ebay.

Do ya all think this one is trimmed??? get the hacksaw out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300238789783&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
    maybe dave or andy could do it.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Thank you andy.......I know a while back you tried to teach me to do links...but ya know what they say about old dogs...
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ringo 8 >>

Another fraction of an inch and it will look more like a '54 Topps baseball card than a '55 Bowman football card.
  • I don't know how that Ringo is an 8 , it doesn't even look close enough to be a 7 in my opion.
    I need one, but I won't be bidding on that card image
    NFL.com has some outstanding action photos of the All-Decade and 75th Anniversary Teams...Also has some nice write-ups on each player...

Here's a link for anyone interested: 75th Team

Greai Jim Brown video as well Jimmy B.

Jason
    Very cool Jason,..Thanks for the links.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    I noticed he got the St. Clair 9, I wonder if he pulls the trigger on the Wehrli 9 as well. Glad to see he's still hooked!!

Doc
  • Anyone need a 51 Tunnell 7 ? Drop me a email or pm vcp avg is what i am looking for
  • Just a quick "thanks" to everyone, on my last "Top 10" post, I picked up 4 out of the 10 listed, along with a Larry Wilson 8 that should have been on there. I would call 5/10-11 a pretty successful post. I will post again when I scrape some more $$$ together, although the next batch will have a few more $500+ cards on there. Also, I am sorry to announce that I am officially NOT coming to Chicago. The wife is going to start law school in the fall and we bought a foreclosure for her to live in since she is going to be going to school out of town. The former owners ripped everything out when they left (like the entire kitchen, the hot water heater, tree in the front yard, etc.) so we have a ton of work to do on it in the next month. I guess I'll have to wait another year to meet you guys. I hope everybody has a good time without me!

Jasen
  • Jasen congrats on the pick ups ,It worked so well for you i thought i would post my own want list

LOOKING FOR

Turk Edwards 7
    Pete Phios 7
    Bobby Layne 6
    Bednarik 6
    Stydahar 6 or 7 small or large
    Robustelli 7 or 8 again sm or lg
    Matson 7 or 8 sm or lg prefer large on the 52,s but smalls ok
    Night train Lane 8

ALSO THE FOLLOW BUT MUST BE REAL NICE HIGH END WELL CENTERED HAVE PASSED ON MANY BECAUSE THE WERE NOT UP TO PAR

need all in psa 8
    Johnny u
    Starr
    Berry
    Van Brocklin
    Ditka
    Butkus

Please pm or email me if you have anything
    Congrats to Jon!

BEST OVERALL SPECIALTY SET OF THE YEAR: Jon Isaacson (Fight4oldDC) - All-Time Great Quarterbacks

Still don't understand how his HOF RC set doesn't go into the PSA Set HOF...You look at some of the others in the PSA Set HOF and it blows some of them away...

Jason

OK, decided to do a comparison of PSA Set Registry HOF football sets...Check this out:

Don Louchios (2002) - 1935 National Chicle Football---Currently 8.40 GPA...Finest possible GPA 8.821...36 total cards in the set...33 registered collections
    Greg Pietsch (Pproperties) (2006)- 1935 National Chicle Football---Currently 8.25 GPA
    --Ok, these are super tough and well deserved HOF collections...Only 596 cards from this set have ever been graded PSA 8 or higher...

William Gray (2008) - 1948 Leaf Football - Basic---Currently 8.06 GPA...Finest possible GPA 8.173...98 total cards in the set...27 registered collections
    --IMO, this one is even tougher to put together than the 35 Chicle..Only 427 cards from this set have ever been graded PSA 8 of higher..And that is divided between 98 cards! An average of less than FIVE PSA 8's or higher per card vs. 16+ per card of the 35 Chicle's..Another well deserved set, and good to see it get in this year.

GHR Collection (2008) – 1952 Bowman Small Football---Currently 8.00 GPA...Finest possible 8.454...144 total cards in the set...23 registered collections
    Jim Crandell (Davalillo) (2005)- 1952 Bowman Small Football---Currently 7.99 GPA, but at 97.92% complete
    ---No doubt a tough set, but not in the same class as the Chicle or Leaf..Price wise or scarcity wise...You have 1,440 graded PSA 8 or higher by PSA...That's an average of 10 per card. no question, PSA felt the need to add the GHR collection to the HOF because it surpassed the Davalillo collection that was/is already in the HOF. But I have to question how a set at less than 100% gets selected anyway..Especially from a set with only 23 registered collectors? When that set was put in the HOF, it was actually at just 96.53%...So how exactly are either of these sets tougher or more deserving than the Fight4olddc HOF RC set??? Do we really need TWO Bowman Small sets in the HOF???

David Kjeer (Short Print Nightmare) (2007) - 1952 Bowman Large Football---Currently 7.89 GPA...finest possible GPA 8.525...144 total cards in set...28 registered collections
    ---Looking at the numbers..1,994 cards from this set have been graded PSA 8 or higher...That's an average of just under 14 PSA 8's per card...That doesn't tell the whole story though, as many of the short print cards are super low pop with less than 5 PSA 8's or higher...the Large usually run more expensive than the Small as well, BUT at 7.89 I don't know that it is more worthy than the HOF RC set...Another collector retired this set at 8.11, so there are or at least were better collections out there.

Wes Verno (2003) - 1955 Topps All-American Basic Set Football--Currently 8.99 GPA..Finest possible GPA 9.092...100 total cards in set...62 registered collections
    ---This is another WELL deserved HOF set, 8.99 GPA is sick...It is notable though that 6,191 cards have been graded PSA 8 or higher, which comes out to almost 62 PSA 8's per card on average. So it isn't super tough to put together in PSA 8. But this set is basically PSA 9, and there are only 472 PSA 9's or higher..And that comes out to less than 5 per card on average...this is also a HOTLY contested set with 62 currently registered with 32 of them at 90% of more complete.

Benjamin Martello (The Hammer Collection) (2008)- 1965 Topps Tall Boy Football---Currently 8.35 GPA..Finest possible GPA 8.790...176 total cards in the set...35 registered collections
    707 Sportscards LTD - Levi Bleam (2004) - 1965 Topps Football---Currenly 8.15 GPA
    Dave Lemon (2005)- 1965 Topps Football--Retired set at 8.28 GPA
    ---First, do we really need 3 1965 Topps sets in the HOF? It's a great set, but tougher than the HOF RC set? The Dave Lemon set is retired and the Hammer collection is new..Doing the math, I would assume many of the Dave Leomn cards ended up here..Is that all it takes to make the HOF? Purchase someone elses HOF collection, add a couple of upgrades and boom HOF? The HOF RC set is more deserving IMO...

Fight4olddc- Pro Football Hall of Fame Rookie Players---Currently 8.78 GPA...Finest possible GPA 9.064...194 total cards in the set...85 registered collections
    ---ONE CARD, the PSA 9 1935 Nagurski could buy half or more of most of the above collections...The most collected football set on the Registry, and out of all 194 cards, 193 of them have less than 5 EVER GRADED HIGHER...This is up there with the 48 Leaf set and the 35 Chicles...IMO, it trumps every other set currently residing in the Registry HOF...To me, this is a slight to all of us collecting this set..It says that even though the set has become the most popular on the registry and spans 6 decades of cards, the individual set collectors still garner the respect...And the HOF RC set is simply a sideshow set for fringe collectors...

It is a travesty if Jon retires this set without it being in the Set Registry HOF....image

Jason
    Good argument Jason and I agree. Without me looking, are there any other "Speciality sets" in the HOF that we could compare Jon's to? Maybe psa has something against the specailty sets? It's just amazing that Jon has set the bar so high and doesn't get the respect it deserves. It is a set that will NEVER fall from the top spot. That is, like you said, if someone bought the whole set and added an upgrade here or there. (I believe Jon said he was keeping the "big names" thought)

Another thing that's hard to believe is that the SMR has never had an article on this set. Seems like PSA would want to put these sets on display for the collecting world to see.

Jon, Maybe you should just stick around one more year before retiring your set....image

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Here's another interesting tidbit. There are 3 86 Fleer basketball sets in the HOF. Every card is graded PSA 10. There have been 38,627 PSA 10's graded among 132 cards. That equals out to be 292 PSA 10's PER CARD!!!!! So I guess every set that makes all PSA 10's should be inducted....??? Ridiculous....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Jon for winning with the All Time QB RC's. Its a great set but nearly 95% of those cards were/are in his HOF RC set that was a winner last year. Other than Stabler the others will be in his HOF RC as well over time. This isnt on knock on any collector but I think PSA should take into consideration when they are voting whether or not a set is almost a subset of another previous winning set. Take Don Spence for example. He has probably one of the finest baseball card collections ever assembled. As such he and his collection was inducted into the HOF a year or so ago. Yet this year he won for best player set, with his Willie Mays Basic set. So will he win next year with another basic player set from all of his other #1 baseball sets? One would think that if his whole collection is in the HOF then PSA could find other worthy sets.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Jason your comments are dead on . Its laughable that don't include one of the most elite football collection ever and to select his QB set over his HOF set is even more crazy.
    All I can say is if his set isn't HOF worthy then there isn't a set worthy of HOF status !!!!
    I think it all stems from the Nagurski steroid controversy...

Heck, I'm still trying to get my Celerino Sanchez player set listed... image
    That is an absolute travesty that Jon's set did not get into the PSA HOF. I'd love to know the criteria for HOF set inclusion, but if it remains the way it is, I may try to get my Tony Mandarich set included. What have I got to lose??

Everyone who collects this set has been slighted.

Doc

• << <i>
    Fight4olddc- Pro Football Hall of Fame Rookie Players---Currently 8.78 GPA...Finest possible GPA 9.064...194 total cards in the set...85 registered collections
    ---ONE CARD, the PSA 9 1935 Nagurski could buy half or more of most of the above collections...The most collected football set on the Registry, and out of all 194 cards, 193 of them have less than 5 EVER GRADED HIGHER...This is up there with the 48 Leaf set and the 35 Chicles...IMO, it trumps every other set currently residing in the Registry HOF...To me, this is a slight to all of us collecting this set..It says that even though the set has become the most popular on the registry and spans 6 decades of cards, the individual set collectors still garner the respect...And the HOF RC set is simply a sideshow set for fringe collectors...

>>

Great points Jason, you obvioulsy spent alot of time putting that together. Being DC's PR man is a full time job it seems image

I agree, Jons set is the highest quality set we will ever see, and the set we will be seeing at#1 for quite awhile. MAD and I were calculating the other day how long it will take someone to pass him just on people being added to the HOF (if he retires the set), if say 6 people are inducted per year, with weights around 1 to 1.5. We came up with 4 years. Pretty interesting.

To have it passed up for the HOF this year is obvioulsy an oversight, PSA needs to be a little bit moe in touch with the collecting community it seems.

joe
    Gentleman I am in total agreement. His set is beyond HOF caliber. Not only is jon holding the only and possible one ever Nagurski .......at a value around 1/4 Million it is just way beyond most of us. Combined with the other top cards and their point values/weights that would be hard to overcome. If Joe Squires stops buying largent cards for 6 months and saves up his $....he could do it. Unless a few really big hitters enter the set........he is the only current player who could pass jon. This is based on his current set position and his passion for cards. There are some strong candidates who could give it a very good run also....not me

btw........benjamin Martello mat have bought dave lemons collection (I do not know) but I follow and collect that set. He has been buying high end grades ....for a few years ....psa 9's and willing to spend a pretty penny on them. For example.... He was underbidder on jon's new 55 st clair.........
    He is building hof caliber sets. And yes his new 65 set deserves the hof. Whether he has the $ to just buy most of a set is irrelevant. Collecting cards is mostly about fun...the boards...commradery....but also about what can an individual afford to spend. Some can spend far more than others. My heart is pumping HOF...my wallet is saying back of the pack.

Have I mentioned....I miss Josh
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • A few points,,,

I agree with everyone here Jon has amassed the most incredible set you could imagine..

A Hall of Fame Rookie set with mostly highest graded and many 1 of 1's.

Jon has reinvigorated the football card market and personally hoisted it to the next level.

While others have been buying, Jon's purchases have definitely been the catalysts for what we are now seeing.

That being said, Ben's 1965 set is definitely deserving of HOF status and was definitely put together as I have seen him purchase numerous 1965's that were not apart of anyone's set.

WHAT SHALL WE DO -- ARE YOU OUT THERE JOE ORLANDO?

Marc
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to my good friend Joe salting away the # 3 spot!

Just wanted to elaborate a bit on my earlier post...

I did not mean to slight ANY of the football sets that were previously in or newly added to the Registry HOF. When I was judging them, I was basing it on a comparison to Jon's set and I was basing it purely on my opinion. It's not that I think some of the others are not deserving, just that's Jon's set is MORE deserving.

I just don't get how they can put a 3rd 1965 Topps set in the HOF while overlooking the TOP, #1 set on the most collected football registry...If both are deserving then put them both in, but by not including Jon's set it says three 1965 sets are more deserving than the HOF RC set..

Lastly, my post about Jon's HOF RC set deserving HOF status came from me and only me. I didn't ask him if I could post that and if he hasn't read the thread doesn't even know about it..My goal wasn't to look like his PR man, but rather to point out IMO, how the lack of respect for HOF RC collectors is still out there...Many of the regular company set collectors still think HOF and Key card collecting is not SET collecting...The perception is better now than it used to be, but this slight to all of us really.

I mean the Non-Sport collectors even have TWO Regsitry HOF representatives at this point 1962 Topps Civil War News and 1962 Topps Mars Attacks...There are two TICKET SETS in the Registry HOF, and they just started grading those a couple of years ago...There are even 2 player sets in the HOF already....There are ZERO HOF and/or key card set of ANY SPORT in the Registry HOF...

Jason

As an outsider looking in there is no question this set should recieve HOF status, the Nagurski card alone is right up there with the 10 Mantle and even the Wagner card IMO.

• envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Aww Jay...I'm still here. Lurking... I may have sold off my set, but I have not left completely. I'm incapable of that, just ask any of my ex-girlfriends or the Hennepin county sheriff's department. They'll tell you. image

I agree that Jon's set is worth of the Hall of Fame, but we can't forget it was at least recognized last year as Best Overall Specialty set.

Jon Isaacson (Fight4oldDC) - NFL Hall of Fame Rookies - Best Overall Specialty Set of the Year
    This has been one of the most hotly contested categories over the past year or so. Rookie cards of NFL Hall of Famers have been selling for outstanding prices in the marketplace because of the high degree of interest. Many collectors feel that the cards that fill this set, and football cards in general, have been undervalued for quite some time. Of course, there are the keys like Johnny Unitas, Jim Brown, Joe Namath and many others but in football, often times, HOF players are overlooked. With the exception of quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers, many HOF players and their contributions are overlooked. This amazing set, which boasts an 8.54 GPA and spans several decades of card production, is a wonderful tribute to the legends of the gridiron.

Notice the 8.54, what's he at now? 8.7 or better? I didn't look... Fantastic set no matter what you compare it to, it would compare quite favorably.

( I kid about the Sheriffs dept stuff... they have no idea who I am )

<< <i>

I agree that Jon's set is worth of the Hall of Fame, but we can't forget it was at least recognized last year as Best Overall Specialty set.
    >>

Which is probably why it didn't win the same award again this year, but rather his All-Time QB set won..Still doesn;t explain the HOF omission...In fact, that's probably another feather in the HOF set hat if anything...

It makes about as much sense as this from my sub that popped today:

N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1986 TOPPS 275 REGGIE WHITE

First one of these I've had in a long time, over a year I think..Anyone want to guess where this card came from? It was submitted raw, but most certainly wasn't raw when I purchased it...

Not really complaining, just that sometimes the things PSA does have no logical explaination. It just is what it is, and Jon's set not being selected is just another example.

Jason
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Oooh, was it a Pro 10? image

No wait, based on my recent luck, it was probably a BGS 9.5. Out of 4 cards I sent in to PSA on my last sub that were BGS crackouts, I got 2 holdered. The rest came back evid of trim. Surprise.

<< <i>Oooh, was it a Pro 10? image

No wait, based on my recent luck, it was probably a BGS 9.5. Out of 4 cards I sent in to PSA on my last sub that were BGS crackouts, I got 2 holdered. The rest came back evid of trim. Surprise. >>

Nope, it was a PSA 9...I also sent a BGS 10 1984 Stephenson in as a crossover (wasn't popping that one..lol) on a seperate sub and I just got that grade today as well...

N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1984 TOPPS 129 DWIGHT STEPHENSON

Go figure...lol...

These 2 were BCCG crackouts:

GEM MINT 10 1998 LEAF R & S FRESHMAN ORIENTATION 12 FRED TAYLOR FRESHMAN ORIENTATION Card US
    GEM MINT 10 1998 PLAYOFF CONTENDERS R.O.Y. CONTENDER 5 FRED TAYLOR

Jason

• A few comments -

Jason I know Joe was only kidding you about being Jon's PR man.

Also, I wanted to thank you for being a great advocate for the HOF RC Set.

Now let's get to...

One more thing I wanted to say, those of you who know me through correspondence and conversation know that I very rarely get up on my soap box or rather shine box, but this is not one of those times.

Right from the horse's mouth...

The criteria for entry into the PSA Set Registry Hall of Fame includes set popularity, difficulty, grade average, completion percentage, domination, and degree of competition within the set category.

Now let's look at the criteria, one by one:

Set popularity - Jason has already noted that this is the most collected football set on the registry.

Difficulty - Let's see all cards in this set are collected by Regular Set Collectors, Team Set Collectors, Key Card Set Collectors not to mention HOF RC Set Collectors, Rookie Card Collectors and Investors.

Grade average - His current grade average of 8.78 is 96.8% of the highest possible grade average

Completion percentage - 100%

Domination - 2 consecutive years at 100% with no one even close to catching him.

Degree of competition within the set category - 2 collectors at 100% and 6 other competitors at 97% or better. 2nd place competitor is within .33 and was previously #1. Third place collector is at 97% complete.

How 'bout that?

Marc.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
    Question for you guys, I was checking out the set registry and took a look at David Hall's sets- a very extensive collection of 1950's Football and all sets were retired. Who was this guy?

<< <i>Question for you guys, I was checking out the set registry and took a look at David Hall's sets- a very extensive collection of 1950's Football and all sets were retired. Who was this guy? >>

David Hall is the founder of PSA. I think he eventually sold off his collection because it created an obvious conflict of interest.

Jason

<< <i>I think he eventually sold off his collection because it created an obvious conflict of interest. >>

Maybe the same way Bud Selig "sold off" his Brewers... image