Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Question for you guys, I was checking out the set registry and took a look at David Hall's sets- a very extensive collection of 1950's Football and all sets were retired. Who was this guy? >>

David Hall is the founder of PSA. I think he eventually sold off his collection because it created an obvious conflict of interest.

Jason >>

Interesting, stupid question I prolly should have known. I'll tell you what conflict of interest or not it must have killed him to sell those sets off, what a collection!
  • Options
    Take into consideration all of Halls cards were graded in the 1st days of psa so many if not most of say his 8,s would be 7,s or 6,s today unless maybe 4sharp sent them in image
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    So Favre asked for his release from the Packers today...

Story

Is anyone else here pissed at what this guy is doing? I've always respected him, but I think this is crap. Aaron Rodgers has VERY patiently bided his time behind Favre. What a complete dic* move it is for Favre to try to steal that starting spot from him. 2 years ago I thought Favre was done. After last year he obviously had more in the tank, so I was bummed that he retired. But this drama that he's involved in now is just not right.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I agree. I love Brett as a player but enough is enough. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about him. I think he sees manning in his rear view mirror for several of his records and want to set himself a little farther apart.....ARG....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Well if he is looking to catch on with another team that needs a starter then all the power to him, he played well last year so its not like he is a liability just trying to pad his stats. The Packers should allow him his release and move on. It will be strange seeing him wear another jersey, its annoying about the sobbing retirement speech but are we really suprised?
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    That's really my only complaint/issue with Favre here is that he RETIRED..He should have done what he did the last few years which is sit on the fence and decide closer to the season..He made a rash decision and now regrets it..After how his season ended last year, i didn't think there was any way he would call it quits...No player wants to go out like that after such a great career..I was urprised that he did...

One thing is clear...The guy can still play..And he can play at a Pro Bowl level and is easily still among at worst the top one-third of starting QBs out there...I think the Packers are crazy for not giving it one more Super Bowl run with Favre..The NFC is wide open and with Favre the Packers could definitely go all the way..With Rodgers MAYBE they can go all the way, but there is much more uncertainty...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I would bet the Packers will not release him because the Bears want him to play for them. They will try and trade him but won't get any bites for the three years 39 million left on his contract.

I say trade him to Carolina, Baltimore, Houston or Tampa. Get a 6th round pick and you are good to go.
  • Options

<< <i>I would bet the Packers will not release him because the Bears want him to play for them. They will try and trade him but won't get any bites for the three years 39 million left on his contract.

I say trade him to Carolina, Baltimore, Houston or Tampa. Get a 6th round pick and you are good to go. >>

Who would trade for him and his huge contract?? Plus, unless it is a team he wants to play for, he'll just stay retired and say no thanks...I doubt anyone will trade anything for Favre...If he plays next year, he'll either be a Packer or he'll be released and sign with a team he wants..He's holding all the cards in this case..The Packers know it and all the other teams know it...

It the Packers are truly set on Aaron Rodgers, then tell Favre to come on back, but be prepared to carry a clipboard behind behind him..Would be a nice insurance policy in case Rodgers sucks or gets hurt..Most likely, Favre would choose to not even come back if he weren't going to start...Packers have the cap room to play that game as well...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I can bet there is a 0% chance you would ever see Favre holding a clipboard under any situation, as far as Rodgers goes I think him riding the bench the past few years was the absolute best thing for him as would be for 95% of young QB's, he will be a much better starter because of it.
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Just a quick FYI to all of you guys, I just finished a terrific book called "The Card" by Michael O'Keefe & Teri Thompson. It chronicles the complete story of the T206 Honus Wagner PSA8(The Gretzky/McNall Card) but more importantly to us, explores the whole world of card grading, card doctoring, and card restoring. It even discusses a major auction card company(named in the book) that admits to using a Chicago based company that "restores" old paper items for museums, etc. They have used the company to "restore"cards and then have them graded!

It's no coincidence that the first card ever graded by PSA was the Gretzky/Wagner, hence the cert # 00000001. It put PSA on the map and it's all explained in the book. I have nothing against PSA but it concerns me that there are even companies that will restore cards by steaming out creases, building up corners with wheat gluten and a whole bunch of other tactics.

It is an extremely interesting read for those of you who collect and pay top dollar for graded cards. If you haven't read it, I HIGHLY recommend it, you might be surprised by what you read.

Doc
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Doc,

I read that book a couple of months ago.
    I thought it was a very good read.

Tom

P.S. I would recommend a book called Operation Bullpen by Kevin Nelson. An excellent look at sports autographs.
  • Options
    Great article about Leo Nomellini in the Chicago Sun-Times 07/13/08
    They are profiling the 25 greatest athletes in Chicago history. I didn't even know he was from Chicago, LOL.

Leo Nomellini
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's no coincidence that the first card ever graded by PSA was the Gretzky/Wagner, hence the cert # 00000001. It put PSA on the map and it's all explained in the book. >>

Unfortunately, this statement is erroneous. Whether it is Doc's assumption or quoted in the book, the Gretzky/McNall T206 Honus Wagner WAS NOT the first card graded by PSA and the #00000001 serial number, just as the "commentary line," were ceremonially issued.
  • Options
    Who will be on the All decade team for this decade? I found an interesting thread on another message board I visit every once in a while.

Link

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Who will be on the All decade team for this decade? I found an interesting thread on another message board I visit every once in a while.

Link

Dave >>

For the Registry purposes, only the FIRST TEAM will matter. Based on All-Pro votes this decade, this is the team through 2007. Still 2 more seasons to add though, only a few players are locks by virtue of having so many votes that no one else at the position will be able to catch them:

QB- Peyton Manning (only Tom Brady can catch him)
    RB- LaDanian Tomlinson (uncatchable)
    RB- Marshall Faulk (this spot is up for grabs, Adrian Peterson could surpass Faulk with 2 monster seasons)
    WR- Marvin Harrison
    WR- Terrell Owens (Randy Moss is a close third and could surpass either or both. He is the only WR that could though)
    TE- Tony Gonzalez (Gates is the only TE that can catch him)
    OT- Jon Ogden
    OT- Walter Jones (Willie Anderson and Orlando Pace are the only OT's that could catch Ogden and jones in the next 2 seasons)
    OG- Alan Faneca (uncatchable)
    OG- Steve Hutchinson (uncatchable)
    C- Kevin Mawae (totally up for grabs..Any other Center could catch Mawae)

DE- Jason Taylor (there are 4 DE's that could surpass his current vote total)
    DE- Michael Strahan (There are 8 DE's that could surpass his current vote total)
    DT- Richard Seymour
    DT- Warren Sapp (both of these DT spots are still up for grabs..Kevin Williams and LaRoi Glover are the closest)
    OLB-Derrick Brooks (uncatchable)
    OLB-Lance Briggs (Any other OLB could still catch him)
    MLB-Brian Urlacher (uncatchable)
    MLB- Ray Lewis (uncatchable)
    CB- Champ Bailey (uncatchable)
    CB- Ronde Barber (10+ CBs that could catch him)
    S- Ed Reed (6 other Safeties could still catch up to him)
    S- Brian Dawkins (8 other Safeties could still catch up to him)

K-Adam Vinatieri (far from locked in)
    P-Shane Lechler (totally up for grabs)

Jason
  • Options
    Anyone know what is the #1 RC for Hutchinson??

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know what is the #1 RC for Hutchinson?? >>

Steve Hutchinson 2001 Pacific Crown Royale#185

I've been trying to find a Mint+ raw one to no avail..There are no PSA 9's or 10's...

Jason
  • Options
    Is that one that is die cut shaped like a crown?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Just wantd to be sure I had my facts straight regarding the Wagner card, according to the book, on two different pages(86 & 204) it clearly states that the Wagner card was the first card graded by PSA. I know you can't always believe everything you read, I'm simply stating what was written as fact in the book.

Doc

• Options
    I think Jon is definately still in the game.
    He just plopped down 3k for the Dean 10 on ebay.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options

<< <i>I think Jon is definately still in the game.
    He just plopped down 3k for the Dean 10 on ebay. >>

Yes, he is staying in for now...Will be interesting to see if he can reach MAX GPA with none higher in his entire set! If the cards can be found, he can get there...Maybe then PSA will give the HOF RC set the respect it deserves...

Jason
  • Options
    Wowsers!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I wonder why he didn't pull the trigger on the Wehrli 9 a few weeks ago??

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Who will be on the All decade team for this decade? I found an interesting thread on another message board I visit every once in a while.

Link

Dave >>

For the Registry purposes, only the FIRST TEAM will matter. Based on All-Pro votes this decade, this is the team through 2007. Still 2 more seasons to add though, only a few players are locks by virtue of having so many votes that no one else at the position will be able to catch them:

QB- Peyton Manning (only Tom Brady can catch him)
    RB- LaDanian Tomlinson (uncatchable)
    RB- Marshall Faulk (this spot is up for grabs, Adrian Peterson could surpass Faulk with 2 monster seasons)
    WR- Marvin Harrison
    WR- Terrell Owens (Randy Moss is a close third and could surpass either or both. He is the only WR that could though)
    TE- Tony Gonzalez (Gates is the only TE that can catch him)
    OT- Jon Ogden
    OT- Walter Jones (Willie Anderson and Orlando Pace are the only OT's that could catch Ogden and jones in the next 2 seasons)
    OG- Alan Faneca (uncatchable)
    OG- Steve Hutchinson (uncatchable)
    C- Kevin Mawae (totally up for grabs..Any other Center could catch Mawae)

DE- Jason Taylor (there are 4 DE's that could surpass his current vote total)
    DE- Michael Strahan (There are 8 DE's that could surpass his current vote total)
    DT- Richard Seymour
    DT- Warren Sapp (both of these DT spots are still up for grabs..Kevin Williams and LaRoi Glover are the closest)
    OLB-Derrick Brooks (uncatchable)
    OLB-Lance Briggs (Any other OLB could still catch him)
    MLB-Brian Urlacher (uncatchable)
    MLB- Ray Lewis (uncatchable)
    CB- Champ Bailey (uncatchable)
    CB- Ronde Barber (10+ CBs that could catch him)
    S- Ed Reed (6 other Safeties could still catch up to him)
    S- Brian Dawkins (8 other Safeties could still catch up to him)

K-Adam Vinatieri (far from locked in)
    P-Shane Lechler (totally up for grabs)

Jason >>

Thanks for the great info Jason. As usual, your in depth Football knowledge covering all era's, is really appreciated around here. Keep up the good research work!

I'd really like to see YOUR all decade teams from the 1940's thru the 1990's. Maybe basing it on players that played at least a minimum of three years in a decade to qualify for your teams. Again, looking for your opinion and not what other football historians may have already selected. Also since many players played both ways in the 1940's and '50's, those teams might be comprised of less players. Like Baugh may be your QB/punter for the 1940's, etc....

I know you think about these type of lists, so whenever you have the time to post it, I'm sure many here would like seeing them.

Rich
  • Options
    That sounds fun cardbender...

Going in reverse, here is MY team of the decade-1990's first team...I will comment on anyone who is different from the real team.

QB- Brett Favre (Brett was a 3-time MVP in the 90's, he should have been first team over Elway who was the sentimental choice because he had just retired when this decade team was voted for)
    RB- Barry Sanders
    RB- Emmitt Smith
    WR- Jerry Rice
    WR- Cris Carter
    TE- Shannon Sharpe
    OT- Tony Boselli (Boselli was a 3-time first team All-Pro in the 90's, more than any other OT. He was healthy during thr 90's as well, had he STAYED healthy this decade, he would be a first ballot HOFer)
    OT- Willie Roaf
    OG- Randall McDaniel
    OG- Bruce Matthews
    C- Dermontti Dawson

DE- Bruce Smith
    DE- Reggie White
    DT- John Randle
    DT- Cortez Kennedy
    LB- Junior Seau
    LB- Derrick Thomas
    LB- Greg Lloyd (Lloyd didn't even make SECOND team..Which is hard to understand when he was a 3-time All-Pro in the decade and IMO, the more dominant LB on those Steelers teams of the 90's)
    CB- Deion Sanders
    CB- Rod Woodson
    S- LeRoy Butler
    S- Darren Woodson (Yes, At-water had more Pro Bowls, but Woodson IMO was a much better all-around player and leader of the Cowboys, Team of the 1990's, defense)

K- Morten Andersen
    P- Darren Bennett
  • Options
    MY 1980's team:

QB- Joe Montana
    RB- Walter Payton
    RB- Eric Dickerson
    WR- Jerry Rice
    WR- Steve Largent
    TE- Kellen Winslow
    OT- Anthony Munoz
    OT- Gary Zimmerman (Was better than Covert, but didn't win a ring in the 80's..Instead Zimmerman got his due in the 90's after winning a championship although he belonged here IMO)
    OG- John Hannah
    OG- Russ Grimm
    C- Dwight Stephenson

DE- Reggie White
    DE- Mark Gastineau (this one is probably a shocker to most, but you can't deny how dominant he was in his prime..Long was great, certainly a HOFer but Gastineau is SO overlooked because of his off the field stuff)
    DT- Randy White
    DT- Dan Hampton
    LB- Lawrence Taylor
    LB- Mike Singletary
    LB- Jack Lambert (they only chose one MLB, but Lambert was still dominating the first half of the 80's so I think he is deserving here)
    LB- Andre Tippett ( I would have selected him over Hendricks at OLB..Hendricks was at his best in the 70's, so his selection was more of a carry-over than anything)
    CB- Mike Haynes
    CB- Frank Minnifield (very overlooked DB along with Hanford Dixon of those 80's Browns teams..)
    S- Ronnie Lott
    S- Kenny Easley

K- Morten Andersen
    P- Reggie Roby (Had some unforgettable boomers)

• Options
    Continuing on with my Team of the 1970's:

QB- Terry Bradshaw
    RB- O.J. Simpson
    RB- Walter Payton
    WR- Drew Pearson
    WR- Cliff Branch (Swann gets the nod on the real team strictly based on his post season, but Branch was as good as they come in the 70's)
    TE- Dave Casper
    OT- Ron Yary
    OT- Dan Dierdorf (Better than Shell in the 70's, but Shell played for better teams)
    OG- Larry Little
    OG- Gene Upshaw (Played at All-Pro level the entire decade)
    C- Jim Langer

DE- Jack Youngblood
    DE- Carl Eller
    DT- Joe Greene
    DT- Alan Page (Merlin Olsen played his best ball in the 60's..Page was the dominant player on a great defense)
    LB- Jack Lambert (Butkus didn't play long enough in the 70s unfortunately)
    LB- Jack Ham
    LB- Chris Hanburger (One of the most underrated player in NFL history...As good as Jack Ham at OLB ..Could tackle, cover, blitz...Did it all)
    CB- Willie Brown
    CB- Jimmy Johnson
    S- Ken Houston
    S- Cliff Harris

K- Garo Yepremian
    P- Ray Guy
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Great stuff Jason, keep them coming.....
  • Options
    On to the 60's (AFL and NFL combined)

QB- Johnny Unitas
    RB- Jim Brown
    RB- Gale Sayers
    WR- Lance Alworth
    WR- Bob Hayes (Charley Taylor had the stats, no doubt..But this guy was almost unstoppable)
    TE- John Mackey
    OT- Forrest Gregg
    OT- Ron Mix
    OG- Jerry Kramer
    OG- Jim Parker (one of the all-time great OT's, became one of the all-time greats at OG during the 60s)
    C- Jim Otto

DE- Deacon Jones
    DE- Willie Davis
    DT- Bob Lilly
    DT- Merlin Olsen
    LB- Dick Butkus
    LB- Ray Nitschke
    LB- Bobby Bell
    LB- Chuck Howley (2 MLBs and 1 OLB were chosen on the real team for whatever reason..Had they made it 2 OLBs, Chuck Howley should have been the guy.)
    CB- Willie Brown
    CB- Herb Adderley
    S- Larry Wilson
    S- Willie Wood (better than Robinson, no question)

K- Jim Bakken
    P- Tommy Davis (the first REALLY GOOD Punter)
  • Options
    1950s:

QB- Otto Graham
    RB- Ollie Matson
    RB- Frank Gifford (such a great all-around player)
    WR- Raymond Berry
    WR- Elroy Hirsch
    WR/TE- Pete Pihos (very overlooked, played the inside much like TEs of today)
    OT- Roosevelt Brown
    OT- Lou Creekmur (St. Clair had better runners behind him)
    OG- Dick Stanfel
    OG- Stan Jones (Jim Parker played mainly at OT in the 50's)
    C- Frank Gatski (Bednarik was a much better LB than Center)

DE- Gino Marchetti
    DE- Andy Robustelli (tough choice over Ford, but Robustelli did it longer during the decade)
    DT- Leo Nomellini
    DT- Art Donovan (guy was a beast)
    LB- Chuck Bednarik (better than Huff)
    LB- Joe Schmidt
    LB- Bill George
    CB- Dick Lane
    CB- Bobby Dillon (This Packer was an INT machine..Not sure how he isn't in the HOF)
    S- Jack Christiansen
    S- Emlen Tunnell

K- Lou Groza
    P- Yale Lary (many forget how good of a Punter he was)
  • Options
  • Options
    There has to be something wrong with that card, with all the hype surrounding the PSA set registry of this set, there is definately a reason that card is not in a PSA holder.
  • Options

What would it grade in a PSA holder of it is legit and not trimmed?

Marc.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    OT: I'm going to take my kids to the Hall of Fame some time next week. I plan on driving from Chicago and staying one night. Has anyone been there recently? Can anyone reccommend a place to stay or a place to eat.
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • Options
    did anyone notice the 3 psa 1 and 1 psa 2 Bronko's in this guy's ebay store?
    bronko's
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    LOL....I actually sold him This card. but not near his asking price. He needs to cut those prices in half just to get in the ballpark.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I don't get the pickup only part. Seems like that and high prices would limit his sales...
  • Options
    Anyone know the exact date in august the SR. players are selected?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Well I wasn't going to post this until the first of the month, but with the National coming up I will put it up now. Here is my newly-updated Top 10 wantlist (thanks again to those of you who helped me fill 5 of my previous top 10):

1935 Ken Strong 5
    1935 Clark Hinkle 5
    1948 Sammy Baugh 6
    1950 Tony Canadeo 7
    1952 Joe Stydahar 7 (Large)
    1954 Doug Atkins 7
    1965 Willie Brown 8
    1967 Leroy Kelly 8
    1973 Jim Langer 9
    1978 Fred Dean 9

If any of you guys who are going to the National are willing to help me find these cards, let me know and I will PM my cel #. Unfortunately I am not able to go this year, so any help is appreciated, thanks again!

Jasen
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    Any idea what a 1984 Russ Grimm in PSA 10 goes for? Just made one and would appreciate any help.
  • Options

<< <i>Any idea what a 1984 Russ Grimm in PSA 10 goes for? Just made one and would appreciate any help. >>

Andy

About $5, I just paypaled you the money, you have my address already.

Thanks for the post.

Joe

• Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    ships out in the morning Joe, thanks man
  • Options
    The last PSA 10 went for $199.00 last month.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Just a reminder for next tuesday...on the NFL network.

Should be intersting.

Top 10 Players Not in the Hall of Fame –- July 29 at 8 p.m. ET: Ricky Watters, Kenny "The Snake" Stabler and "Bullet" Bob Hayes are a few of the legendary players still awaiting their day in Canton. NFL’s Top 10 takes a look at the top players who have not been voted into the Hall of Fame.

They list 3 of the 10. Any guesses on who the other 7 will be? I'll go ahead and take a stab at it.....

Nobis
    Tingelhoff
    Richard Dent
    Gradishar
    L. Hayes
    Jerry Kramer
    Ray Guy

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    PinkcatfishPinkcatfish Posts: 377 ✭✭
    Not to get too Raider heavy but I think Cliff Branch might be on the list. I love these Top 10 shows.
  • Options
    I don't think they will have Stabler, Hayes AND Guy on there so I think Hayes will be the odd man out. I would put DT in his place, I don't see how he is not in anyway.

Jasen
  • Options
    In addition to Thomas, I think the other guys will be:

Ken Anderson
    Cris Carter
    Bob Hayes
    Alex Karras
    Jerry Kramer
    Jim Marshall
    Ken Stabler
    Steve Tasker
    Ricky Watters

Just a hunch image
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Ughhh. Stabler is sooooooooooo not a Hall of Famer. A cool nickname should not get you a bust in Canton. Kick his butt off that show and let them talk about Ken Anderson instead.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Ken Anderson
    Cris Carter
    Bob Hayes
    Alex Karras
    Jerry Kramer
    Jim Marshall
    Ken Stabler
    Steve Tasker
    Ricky Watters

Just a hunch >>

OK.....Where did you get this classified info??

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!