Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I was bored today so I did a quick analysis of the 52 Bowman Large vs. Small.

I remember a while back that someone said they were pretty much equal in value, thus both should be available to be added to the set. The VCP #'s prove otherwise. Im not saying that we shouldn't include the small's, I just thought it was interesting.

There are 10 HOF RC's from this set and of those, there were 26 cards that could be compared. (Players had both a small and large in the same grade with prices realized)

Of the 26 cards only 2 smalls outsold their large counterpart. Both were Gifford (PSA 5 and 6). Most of the Large were significantly higher than the small. Some almost double. Here are a few examples

Marchetti PSA 7 $319 vs. $185
    Donovan PSA 4 $81 vs. $39
    Robustelli PSA 6 $100 vs $69
    Stydahar PSA 4 $371 vs. $113
    Christiensen PSA 6 $118 vs $62
    Lary PSA 6 $145 vs. $73

I have always wanted the Large in my set because they are the "more valuable" RC card.
    I only have one small now and will probably upgrade it to the same grade in a large down the road..

Whats all this mean? I don't know.....image
    I guess it means I was just bored today!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo there is no comparison, the Large style is much more desirable.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I view the Bowman Small as a cheap way to get good Registry points..lol

I'm always shooting for the highest grade possible, but if my choice is a PSA 8 Large vs. a PSA Small, I also choose the Large because of the higher value. Funny thing about the Small's is that the POP's are lower than the Large.

Perk, your a 52 Bowman guy, any ideas on relative rarity between the Large and Small? Every heard any solid production numbers between the 2? All I have to go from is the PSA POP report..

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't collecting the set back then. Do you guys know what happened with Robert?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    Jason, the thing about this 52 set (both large and small ) is there really isnt too much info out there, other than the cards divisble by 9 theory stating that those are extremely difficult to find well centered IE: the Stydahar card! All I know is from what I have read over the years that Bowman started out with the Small cards but switched over to the Large style due to the popularity of the 52 Topps BB set thus the smaller ones were produced in smaller quantities and are harder to locate than the Large. The Pop report is a one way to see it but there are a bunch of people who mainly collect them in SGC so its hard to tell the "real" numbers.
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Did you guys see that PSA 8 Ringo go on ebay yesterday, $1300 bucks!!! What's up with that????

Doc
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭
    doc
    I was at 1310 and out bid. The card is relatively rare in psa 8 on ebay or other auctions.
    I can see this card being in the 1700 category.

there are some nice 1965's coming up and I would rather have them...or I would have bid 1700
    jay
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Here's a great article about the 52 Bowman Large , which explains the rarity .

52 Bowman Large article

There hasn't been a Ringo on the bay for a couple of years, you knew that card was going to go thru the roof.
  • lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    There was a Ringo 8 on ebay a couple of months ago that sold BIN quickly for $1500
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    I actually thought I might have a chance at the Ringo at $650......yeah right!! The pop in 8 shows 25, that's not too bad. I was just shocked at the final price.

Doc
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wasn't collecting the set back then. Do you guys know what happened with Robert? >>

Not sure but probably not good. I sent several PM's that went unanswered shortly there after.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • I got some new grades in. Amazing speed on the $5 special. I'm a little disappointed in the 86's. I thought several were 9's and I thought the Montana had a shot at a 8
    Biggest Disappointment: The 74 Joe D. I almost emailed you Jason to see if you have seen any with a rough cut on the top. The card came out of a set I bought and sized right just had the rough top. Any suggestions? Should I send it back in.
    I am going to send out another order since the new special goes past 2002. I wish they would have a special on pre 72 around $5-7

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 15204592 NEAR MINT 7 1973 TOPPS 322 DAN DIERDORF Card US
    2 1 15204593 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 OC 1973 TOPPS 455 JOHN UNITAS Card US
    3 1 15204594 N8: MISCUT 1974 TOPPS 183 JOE DeLAMIELLEURE Card US
    4 1 15204595 MINT 9 1976 TOPPS 376 STEVE GROGAN Card US
    5 1 15204596 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1977 TOPPS 50 MIKE HAYNES ALL-PRO Card US
    6 1 15204597 MINT 9 1978 TOPPS 217 FRED DEAN Card US
    7 1 15204598 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 OC 1979 TOPPS 310 JAMES LOFTON Card US
    8 1 15204599 NEAR MINT 7 1981 TOPPS 216 JOE MONTANA Card US
    9 1 15204600 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1981 TOPPS 342 MARK GASTINEAU Card US
    10 1 15204601 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 TOPPS 112 JOHN ELWAY Card US
    10 2 15204602 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 TOPPS 112 JOHN ELWAY Card US
    11 1 15204603 NEAR MINT 7 1986 TOPPS 161 JERRY RICE Card US
    11 2 15204604 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 TOPPS 161 JERRY RICE Card US
    12 1 15204605 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1986 TOPPS 275 REGGIE WHITE Card US
    13 1 15204606 MINT 9 1988 TOPPS 144 BRIAN BOSWORTH Card US
    14 1 15204607 MINT 9 1991 STADIUM CLUB 60 RICKY WATTERS Card US
    15 1 15204608 MINT 9 1991 STADIUM CLUB 94 BRETT FARVE Card US
    16 1 15204609 MINT 9 1993 BOWMAN 421 WILLIE ROAF FOIL Card US
    16 2 15204610 MINT 9 1993 BOWMAN 421 WILLIE ROAF FOIL Card US
    17 1 15204611 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1997 ZENITH Z-TEAM ZT2 DAN MARINO PROMO Card US

Total Items: 20

Date Received: 5/2/2008

Date Shipped: 5/8/2008

Order Status: Shipped

Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

• << <i>Nice job on the Fred Dean. >>

Thanks. I was surprised also. Funny thing is I cracked it out. It was a 8st. When I first sent it in I thought it was a 9, but I must have missed a small wax spot. So I cracked it & did the ole panty hose trick and sure enough it came back a 9!!! The card is beautiful.

Out of my submission I nailed most on the grades except for those 86's & the Montana. The 86's were awesome & I may resub some of those ( Rice 8 for sure)
    I figured the Unitas to be a 7 nq and the Lofton also

The Joe D. ticks me off, I don't know what to do about it. I'll post a pic when they arrive and see what everyone thinks. I thought it would be an 8.

overall I can't complain. All of these cards came from a collection of cards I purchased. 58's thru 05's plus several sets. The Joe D. came out of a 74 set and the Rice out of an 86 set.
    The older cards will have to wait until PSA does a special on them.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wasn't collecting the set back then. Do you guys know what happened with Robert? >>

Not sure but probably not good. I sent several PM's that went unanswered shortly there after.

dave >>

The last feedback on Robert's E-bay account was Jan 4, 2004 which was 5 days after his post...yikes.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Man that is incredibly sad. Really shows you how life can turn on a dime sometimes. I hope he got to do some of the things he was talking about doing in his last post.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • My 10-card, $5 sub was submitted 5/6, just popped & shipped, 5/9....nothing in there related to this thread, but interesting info on the lightning-fast turnaround. One of the cards was a 96/97 Topps Draft Redemption Steve Nash that I sent in for my brother, it popped with a 10, first 10 graded for that card. Not bad!

Jasen
    WTH? I have a 384 card sub and a 31 card sub sitting there from 4/10. You get 3 day turnaround... image

Good for you though. Lame for me. i could sell the stuff I sent in and buy a Bronko! image
    josh
    for my sake I hope you are talking about a FORD !!!!!
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Jay --

If Josh was talking about a Ford, he would have said he was going to buy a Bronco not a Bronko.

mad
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------

• << <i>Jay --

If Josh was talking about a Ford, he would have said he was going to buy a Bronco not a Bronko.

mad >>

Wouldn't it also then come with an OJ rookie???

Jasen
    Jay, you are a funny guy. image

Unfortunately, I am referring to a Nagurski, not OJ's method of evading the law.

Anybody got one for sale? I know Jeff had a 2 for sale for a while...
    Hey Tom, welcome to the Top 20!

Did obusek bail on the set? I've noticed him selling off a bunch of cards. I know he was re-focusing to higher graded cards but he's sold off some nice 9's and even some 10's lately. Anybody know?
    Well, this set isn't for everyone..While it isn't super big numbers wise (only 194 cards to complete it so far), there also are not any cheap commons in the bunch...If you want PSA 8 1989 Score, I mean you can find those cheap, but for the most part, this is an expensive set to undertake...In my 5+ years with my set registered, I've seen MANY collectors come and go..A few went all the way to 100% first like say Craig Zav and Gabbs, but mostly I see guys come in, go all out for a short period and then realize how tough and/or expensive it's going to be and get out just as quickly..That's one of the things about this set being the #1 most collected on the football registry..It's VERY easy to get into it and find a nice base of cards to build on, and it's just as easy to find buyers for most of these cards when it comes time to sell off...

Personally, I'm at the point where I can't imagine not owning my HOF rookies...Going on 10 years now since I started collecting them and although I've had 2 minor sell-offs along the way, I've never considered getting all the way out. If I sold them out for cash, it would most likely just sit in a bank with the rest of my retirement money or with the kids college money and collect dust...And that's just no fun..lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    Hey Tom, welcome to the Top 20!

Thanks Josh, I had some help from you, Jason, Bill and my good friend George Bu$h.
    Josh, why didn't you buy the Nagurski 2 that just ended in REA? I thought it went for a decent price.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I can see how this set can suck some in with the allure of a sexy blonde standing in the moonlight. I can also see how after falling head-over-heels, they find out that that blonde may be very sexy, but it's gonna be one helluva tab to keep up with her. She's mighty high maintenance, even if you only plan to keep her in rags.

I'm just hoping to make small dents here and there (I'm lingering in the #50 range) as I've recently begun this set and also the Base and Master 1948 Leaf FB Set (the redheads) both from square one. I know it is gonna be a long haul, but as long as the wife doesn't find out, I'll be happy supporting the blonde and the redheads...

<< <i>Josh, why didn't you buy the Nagurski 2 that just ended in REA? I thought it went for a decent price. >>

I think he wants a Bronko with 4 wheels (or 3 at the very least). The Bronko in the REA auction was actually a bicycle since it only had 2...
    I have tossed and turned thinking about doing this set but I dont want to deal with paying the inflated prices on a lot of these cards especially from the 70's and up of players I wouldnt collect anyways. Not to mention I couldnt afford the pre 1950 cards in the condition I would need to be happy. Hats off to you guys though, some of you have incredible sets going and I wish all the best of luck!
  • Josh, I don't know if you saw the PSA 4 Nagurski for sale on Heritage's site. Not sure if 6500 is high or low, I'm guessing High.
    Yikes. $6500 for a 4?

That's high. It's about $1000/grade up to the PSA 5 range, then it takes a big jump. I was hoping for a 3 or a 4 and to spend anywhere from $2500-$3800. The PSA 2 at auction was pretty nice, but I don't like the thought of paying an extra 15% on a card, the seller is paying 15% to sell besides. Plus, stuff at the auction houses tends to sell for more than eBay or private sale anyway. Which if I can be a hypocrite, is precisely why I would consider selling stuff that route if I had that opportunity. If you can get $750 for a PSA 9 Payton rc instead of $450 on ebay...the 15% is absorbed pretty quickly.
    Thanks for the heads up that they had one though!

So I gather by Jason's post that obusek (Jason) bailed on this set? I don't remember seeing a post from him. He hit the jackpot with a few raw cards he bought, I figured he'd be tearing up this set, now I don't see him on the list at all.

And yes, this set sucks you in and many, myself included, had/have no idea what it takes to build it in any grade let alone NM or better. I priced it out a couple months ago and even if I managed to find the all the cards in the grade I wanted, I would more than double the value of my set. I was shooting for a straight 7.0 GPA and it it's about a $55k stake to accomplish that. (the way I was going to do it anyway). Gulp. I don't get paid that well. image

• Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Yeah I got sucked in too. Don't know if I will ever reach 100% but I am having fun so far.
    I am hovering in the 30's on the registry and I just crossed 50% of the set. Not too shabby for the first 6 months of my collection!
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

Not to be ungrateful, however is PSA ever going to remove the class of 2008 members who are included in the future HOF rc - modern set?

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    yes marc......I know...just having a little funnin with josh.
    He's down to that one card.....thankfully it's the hardest one !!!!!!!!!

To add to what jason said.....I think the set is very difficult once one hits 20-25. There are guys beyond this point who could be in the top 10 if they truely wanted. Marc's set for example could be worth more in $ than some sets in the top 10.

People just starting the set who have not been recording in some way how often or how much $ cards go for......don't realize how hard it is to get some of them. Cards after 1980 are easy to get even in high grades. 1970's are not all that difficult. Yes, maybe very high grades....

But when we are into the older stuff...one upgrade from a 7 to an 8 may cost $1500 (recent example 1955 Jim Ringo) and yet not give your set that much of a boost. We all realize that #1 is not obtainable. Yes. my good buddy mr. squires, who has more card passion probably that any other set registry member..and seems to have a heavy wallet (all the power to ya) can't come close. He will be #2 shortly....but the rock of gibralter (psa 9 BRONCO...did I spell that right?) is way too much to overcome. New members may not realize that its taken a firm commitment for a very long time to get to where we are...not overnight. There is some serious competition...and yet along the way there is a commradary that has developed. Many of us get emails about cards we need and sometimes agree not to bid against each other on some really nice cards.

So I hope all the newer guys stay with it and join this big happy family.........even if its the munsters !!!
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jason,

Not to be ungrateful, however is PSA ever going to remove the class of 2008 members who are included in the future HOF rc - modern set?

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

I am sure they will get to it after the set registry award period is over with. Or after they have worked out the roll out with V2. I am sure that is why its taking so long. Afterall we were told that it would be very seemless for them to just add the new cards to the HOF RC set and delete them from the potential sets.

Which brings up another question. Why would they roll out V2 before the regisrty deadline?? Why not just wait until after the deadline instead?? I can already see some mass melt down of the registry before the deadline after the V2 roll out.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    Great post Jay.

Right on the money.

As for spelling Bronko, here's a trick for you. You can "C" a Ford Bronco anywhere, any Chicle Bronko costs you $1"K"+ image

It's bad, but it just might work. lol

<< <i>Jason,

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg, last I talked to Gayle, they were going to have to wait until the new registry 2.0 was released before being able to get to it...I thought that was supposed to be around 1 May, but it still hasn't gone live..They've already had to push back this years Registry awards to accommodate, and if the delays continue, I assume they may push it back again...

Once the Registry 2.0 is finally open to the public, I will touch base with BJ, Gayle and Cosetta again to see how much longer or at least to as a reminder. If you want to hear the explanation for yourself, you and/or anyone else here can e-mail the set registry crew for the specifics. I was told it's a programming issue though.

If I had access to make the changes myself, it would have been done the day after the HOF elections..lol..It just isn't high on the priority list right now, understandable so IMO.

Jason
  • Jay -- I knew exactly what you meant I just couldn't resist interjected a bit of levity as everyone looks for the Nagurski in the haystack.

To add to the comments made by Jason and Jay. It doesn't take much to start the set but it takes a lot of patience to continue collecting and reach 100%.

To everyone I say be patient, stay focused and don't get discouraged...have fun

Marc
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
    I have a freshly graded Future Hall of Fame Rookie available:

PSA 10 1984 Topps Russ Grimm RC (POP 8)

$250 dlvd if anyone is interested as I already have one. Two previous sales in VCP were:

1/31/08 eBay Auction | Image j9suited vincent7803 21 $273.00
    2/28/07 eBay $457.13

Jason

• obusek99obusek99 Posts: 262
    I am alive and well. I wouldn't say I've given up on this set. I am refocusing AGAIN! I just don't want to be constantly adding and deleting the cards, scanning pics etc. I was aiming for the top half of the set but now I'm going for the bottom, the oldies but goodies and the big cards. I want them out of the way. When I get enough that I feel I am serious again then I'll add again to the registry. Glad to see someone noticed I was out. Thanks Josh!
    See, I pay attention once in a while. image
    Glad you're still alive and well.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Hi All,
    Got a couple extra rookies from the last poppage:

1971 Joe Greene PSA 5
    1981 Joe Montana PSA 8
    1973 Franco Harris PSA 7
    1978 Tony Dorsett PSA 9 OC
    1979 Earl Campbell PSA 9 OC
    1982 Lawrence Taylor PSA 9 OC

Let me know if you need any.

Thanks!

Bob...
  • Has anyone had problems with crossovers from CSA? I sent in a 57 Starr and a 52 Gifford (along with a 55 Bowman Mantle) for a buddy who purchased these in CSA 9 holders. I sent in with minimum grades of 7 on the Gifford & Starr and 8 on the Mantle and they ALL came back trimmed. The grades just popped today so I don't have the cards back, but wanted to see if anyone here has had similar problems/experience. Thanks in advance.

Jasen

<< <i>Has anyone had problems with crossovers from CSA? I sent in a 57 Starr and a 52 Gifford (along with a 55 Bowman Mantle) for a buddy who purchased these in CSA 9 holders. I sent in with minimum grades of 7 on the Gifford & Starr and 8 on the Mantle and they ALL came back trimmed. The grades just popped today so I don't have the cards back, but wanted to see if anyone here has had similar problems/experience. Thanks in advance.

Jasen >>

CSA? Your kidding right! Was the Gifford the CSA 9 on the Bay about a month ago?

They are as credible as GEM grading BTW..
    What Perk said...

If anyone buys a high profile card in a CSA holder for more than they would pay for an ungraded PSA or SGC "Authentic," they are either real gamblers or ill-informed.

I would ONLY trust a PSA or SGC graded card with respect to attempting to cross to the other service. I'd leave CSA, KSA, ASA, BVG/BGS (sure to tick some of you off), GEM, CTA, PRO, and any other capitalized inital grading service's cards alone.

YMMV!
    When you see big time cards in those cheap holders, you have to know there is a reason they are there and not in an SGC or PSA holder...

Jason

• << <i>Was the Gifford the CSA 9 on the Bay about a month ago? >>

Yes, that is the one. My buddy won it and isn't a PSA member so I sent it in for him. The grades popped and I figured I would ask you guys. This is one reason why I only buy cards for my set that are already in the PSA slab. I got burned on the Tark I bought at the National and that was it for me. Anyway, thanks for the info guys.

Jasen
    Anyone interested in a freshly graded PSA 10 1964 Philly Merlin Olsen RC? This will be the 2nd one graded, with the other belonging to Jon (fight4olddc).

Jason