Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Looks like Jon is "branching out" into that other sport.

I guess this is a nice start anyway.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like Jon is "branching out" into that other sport.

I guess this is a nice start anyway. >>

Why start with such a POS card from such an overrated issue. Personally, I think his money would've been more wisely spent had he started with the 1988 Donruss or 1990 Fleer sets. How can you pass up on such stellar selections such as Gregg Jefferies, Mark Grace, Sam Horn, and Joe Girardi's RC from '88 and Mike Stanton, Delino DeShields, Kevin Maas, and Moises Alou from '90??? What's Jon thinking?
  • Options
    My recollection is that Jon owns a 1952 Mantle PSA 9. Maybe he thought the price was right.

mad
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like Jon is "branching out" into that other sport.

I guess this is a nice start anyway. >>

Why start with such a POS card from such an overrated issue. Personally, I think his money would've been more wisely spent had he started with the 1988 Donruss or 1990 Fleer sets. How can you pass up on such stellar selections such as Gregg Jefferies, Mark Grace, Sam Horn, and Joe Girardi's RC from '88 and Mike Stanton, Delino DeShields, Kevin Maas, and Moises Alou from '90??? What's Jon thinking? >>

For the same amount of money, he could have bought 100,000 cases of 1988 Donruss and burned them, which would have at least lessened the supply a bit..

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    isn't that a decent price on a psa 8?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that does not like that wavy right border?
  • Options
    Really nothing to do with hof,ers but i found this interesting

I had about 80 auctions end last night, 50 different buyers and 27 have paypaled me so far.
    Now to the kinda cool part out of the 27 so far 8 have been from guys in the Army all SGT,s say their paypal ship info.

All i can so is i love are armed forces to death from a personal standpoint as they just dont get the respect they deserve in my opinion, And now from a card world point of view it is really cool to see such a large group % wise collecting cards ,I know we have a few of our HOF crew that fit this bill as well and i tip my hat to them for all they do day in day out on our behalf.

I think my next round of ebay auctions i will offer few shipping to any member of the armed forces maybe even more to Army SGT,s image
  • Options
    Jason must be getting all his buddy's hooked.. Way to go Jason...!! LOL.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jason must be getting all his buddy's hooked.. Way to go Jason...!! LOL. >>

EXACTLY...lol

Between me and Glenn showing off our sets and as much as we are overheard on our cell phones talking cards, the word is spreading...

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    art

I also won a card from you....67 larry wilson
    Definately tip my hat also to the armed forces

But a lowly sgt......I am a general

you can send mine to:

General E. Insane

got any more hofers 4 sale??? esp something that adds rc set points and I can fly by josh?????
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    You gotta catch Dap first you little weasel. image
  • Options

<< <i>art

I
    General E. Insane

got any more hofers 4 sale??? esp something that adds rc set points and I can fly by josh????? >>

Jay z

anyone who knows you or has spoken to you, knows you are generally insane image I have been on the receiving end of some of that insanity my friend!!

Arent you up way past your beddy bye time? At least im on the West coast, its past midnight where you live man!!

joe
  • Options
    JAY Yes I SAW YOUR NAME image

I do have a 55 Fats PSA 8 that would fill a hole for you, Drop me a line if yor interested but we would have to do it under the table or i would be afraid to open the next package i get from Josh lol

And by the way dont worry Josh when Jay gets around to filling a few holes he will be steamrolling past me as well image
  • Options

<< <i>JAY Yes I SAW YOUR NAME image

I do have a 55 Fats PSA 8 that would fill a hole for you, Drop me a line if yor interested but would would have to do it under the table or i would be afraid to open the next package i get from Josh lol

And by the way dont worry Josh when Jay gets around to filling a few holes he will be steamrolling past me as well image >>

Art,
    please stop referring to it as "filling a hole", your getting Shagrotn all hot and bothered

I really wish you would help me finish my 67 philly set ARt. A few more cards and I could pluck the #3 spot from MOSH, depriving him of a bronze. Hmmmmm
  • Options
    Yes it is way past my bedtime.....As I mentioned to you......my Dr. prescribed ambien for me to try...I fall asleep and then wake up at midnight. I told him I was worried about my football cards. He just went HMMMM...and make an appt with my therapist. Dr. Cardova Freudless
    But I did enjoy pm-in u and josh late last night

Josh...stop spreading falsies about me...I'm a BIG weasel. Of course much smaller than that Gigantopithecus in portland....and much prettier image

I won't be passing anybody soon image Most of my last buys have been players or baseball....not hof rc's

Art I will PM about the 55 FH.

Mr. squires...speaking of andy...he is always hot and bothered........Is planning a vacation with his wife...said something about wanting to go somewhere cold...like antartica and film the march of the penguins. Won a 71 blyleven 8 of him last nightimage
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    Art,
    please stop referring to it as "filling a hole", your getting Shagrotn all hot and bothered

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    BigZBigZ Posts: 78
    I saw that a 1935 Chicle Bronko Nagurski raw ended on Ebay yesterday. So what are the chances of that card actually being real 1-2%. Just thought I would see what you guys thought.

Rob

Looking for:
    Heisman Rookies
    Heisman Collection set singles
    Eddie George PSA rookies
  • Options

<< <i>I saw that a 1935 Chicle Bronko Nagurski raw ended on Ebay yesterday. So what are the chances of that card actually being real 1-2%. Just thought I would see what you guys thought.

Rob >>

I'd go with 0%....lol

I really can't think of any reason someone would sell that card RAW on EBAY unless it wasn't able to find its way into a holder...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>I saw that a 1935 Chicle Bronko Nagurski raw ended on Ebay yesterday. So what are the chances of that card actually being real 1-2%. Just thought I would see what you guys thought.

Rob >>

-1%.

I would bet my house, my cars, and my entire collection on the fact that that card was a reprint. Even from the scan, you can see that the bottom of the reverse was rubbed/worn away and conspicuously covered with the stamped name to remove the "REPRINT" line. What's worse is that some dolt plopped down over $200 for a relatively worthless piece of cardboard that could've been bought without the coffee stains, surface damage, creases, and printing for all of about $5.00 with shipping.

It still amazes me how some of these sellers can get away with doing this and finding some of the dumbest suckers in the world to send them money.
  • Options
    Do you think this could "8"? If not it is better centered than my 7. I'm thinking the PD by his last name will hold it back to 7.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Nice centering Dave but i think 7 at best
  • Options
    obusek99obusek99 Posts: 262
    I think I finally have an icon!!! Looks like it could get an 8. Maybe
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

I need 2 more cards to hit 75%, which I would like to do before the rules change which require 90% set completion before receiving the free grading certificate. My set is currently #22 and is named "Greg Montieth's Collection". Please PM or e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com if you have anything that I need.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys,

I need 2 more cards to hit 75%, which I would like to do before the rules change which require 90% set completion before receiving the free grading certificate. My set is currently #22 and is named "Greg Montieth's Collection". Please PM or e-mail me at montooth13 at yahoo.com if you have anything that I need.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Greg, I have a few you need:

PSA 6 1935 National Chicle Cliff Battles
    PSA 4 1952 Bowman Large Joe Stydahar
    PSA 8 1963 Fleer Len Dawson

Jason

• Options
    I've got a PSA 6 Hornung.

Depending on when my sub pops from PSA, I'll have a number of other HOF'ers.

I believe I have Wehrli, Sanders, Emmitt Thomas, Bob Brown, Hickerson, Hinkle, Dean, Matson and a couple others. NO idea when I'll see poppage on those though.
  • Options
    Some quick $5 special modern football RC poppage for me..Not to shabby, 13 out of 16 PSA 10's...

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 14299002 GEM MINT 10 2003 TOPPS CHROME 203 ANQUAN BOLDIN Card US
    1 2 14299003 GEM MINT 10 2003 TOPPS CHROME 203 ANQUAN BOLDIN Card US
    1 3 14299004 GEM MINT 10 2003 TOPPS CHROME 203 ANQUAN BOLDIN Card US
    2 1 14299005 GEM MINT 10 2003 TOPPS CHROME 220 LARRY JOHNSON Card US
    3 1 14299006 MINT 9 2003 TOPPS CHROME 235 ANDRE JOHNSON Card US
    4 1 14299007 GEM MINT 10 2003 TOPPS CHROME 227 JASON WITTEN Card US
    4 2 14299008 GEM MINT 10 2003 TOPPS CHROME 227 JASON WITTEN Card US
    5 1 14299009 MINT 9 2003 TOPPS CHROME 204 OSI UMENYIORA Card US
    6 1 14299010 MINT 9 2003 TOPPS CHROME 170 RASHEAN MATHIS Card US
    7 1 14299011 GEM MINT 10 2003 TOPPS CHROME 236 NICK BARNETT Card US
    8 1 14299012 GEM MINT 10 2003 TOPPS CHROME 214 KEVIN WILLIAMS Card US
    9 1 14299013 GEM MINT 10 2004 TOPPS CHROME 215 LARRY FITZGERALD Card US
    10 1 14299014 GEM MINT 10 2004 TOPPS CHROME 225 KELLEN WINSLOW Card US
    11 1 14299015 GEM MINT 10 2004 TOPPS CHROME 230 PHILIP RIVERS Card US
    12 1 14299016 GEM MINT 10 2003 SP AUTHENTIC 120 TROY POLAMALU Card US
    13 1 14299017 GEM MINT 10 2004 SP AUTHENTIC 146 BOB SANDERS Card US

Total Items: 16

Date Received: 5/7/2008

Date Shipped: N/A

Order Status: OK

• Options
    Quick indeed. I hope my big order pops before July. image
  • Options
    I am still waiting on 1 i dropped off at the Reading show Feb 28th image
  • Options
    yeah Bob, I saw that. Couple of problems. A) I don't have the $7-10k that set is gonna go for. B) The Bronko is a beautiful 3 based on the scans. But gotta be sure it'll cross, and even then it's a $3k card.

That being said, my set is looking like it's done. I've got my eye on some lakeshore that we're going to go look at. If not this weekend, then next weekend. I just listed some "extras" in my ebay store and my HOF set isn't far behind. I've got some of my HOF'ers in for review now and a few others promised to some other guys when they become available. So whether or not a Bronko pops up in the next couple of weeks, my set is done. I'm hoping I find one and can add it to finish it off, but if not, it'll have to be good enough.

For anyone interested, I have a number of the future HOF'ers still in PSA 10 as well as some all time rushers and receivers I just never added. I was going to start up all those sets again but I'm too lazy.

Off the top of my head, I have these:
    PSA 8 Jim Marshall
    PSA 8 Tingelhoff
    PSA 9 Tomlinson Chrome
    PSA 10 Moss
    PSA 10 Ottis Anderson
    PSA 9 Jerry RIce
    PSA 10 Cris Carter
    PSA 10 Randall McDaniel
    PSA 10 John Randle
    and a number of others.
  • Options
    JUst wondering boys...when is the grading voucher deadline...what do u have to do?

R the sets a minimum # to qualify??

I realllllly hope josh does decide to stay ........Whom am I gonna talk behind their backs and start rumors if he leaves image

On the baseball subject does anyone know brandon webb's best card??

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Change in Free Submissions Policy Effective 6/1/08
    In order to qualify for free submissions, your set must be 90% complete. Should you qualify for free submissions, email your name, address and phone number to setregistry@collectors.com with the name of the set and you will be mailed a submission form to be used exclusively for your free grades.

I don't think there is a min. # for set, but if it is a large set you would get 3 free vouchers.
  • Options
    Josh....Sucks your gonna sell off. If you are looking for a Bronko, just to turn around and sell it, I would hold off on buying. It would be nice to be able to say you were at 100% before selling off. I'm sure i'll be able to send some money your way..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>PSA 10 John Randle >>

John Randle? Hmmmm, wonder if I need that one... image

** Editted to correct spelling.
  • Options
    Dave - I was looking for a Bronko I could turn around and break even on, but I can't seem to find one. So, 99.48% is the end for me.

Scott - I have a couple if you want more than one to add to your pile. image

Everyone else: Thanks for the kind words. I'll let you know when the stuff is available. I've got a couple of guys I'm giving dibs on a few cards first. I also have a number of them at PSA for review, so I can't sell those til I get them back.
  • Options
    Crumbs . . . crumbs . . . all I'm waiting on is crumbs!
  • Options

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    What are we supposed to be looking at Dave?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    oops...link fixed

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I'd love to know who that 50-feedback bidder is. Just doesn't look right IMO.
  • Options
    Holy Smokes is rightimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Well, Jon needs one and Joe now has one. The question is whether Joe wants another.......LOL>>

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    imageimage

...................$4,550 (PSA 10)...........................................................$25.00 (PSA 8)..................................

This is insane!! I'll take the PSA 8 I purchased........maybe thats just me........lol

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I can live with the 8 too!
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I'm cracking my 9 out now and resubmitting.
  • Options
    Is it just me, or do the borders on the 8 look wider than the 10?
  • Options

<< <i>Is it just me, or do the borders on the 8 look wider than the 10? >>

Hey, now. Talk like that gets me in trouble...
  • Options

<< <i>I'm cracking my 9 out now and resubmitting. >>

or it.
    If so, look for the blue print defect on his nostril. If that isnt there and everything else looks good, then go for it
  • Options
    yes andy...your eagle expert eye has caught something....I'm tendin to gree w ya. left side has been on a diet??

but then last time I mentioned a certain dealer and grades the whole thread got pulled so I'm saying nuthin

I had looked at the link briefly earlier and thought dave was talking about the $2500 the guy wanted for a 77 mexican 9oc.......must have poncho villa spit on it!!!
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Hey guys, I just listed a bunch of HOF RC's on the bay if anyone is interested. Including a PSA 9 Dean RC.
    vjsteele4 auctions
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher