Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• So happy for Branch to finally be recognized for his place in the game. IMO a few years too late but still glad.

• shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    Cliff Branch and Dick Vermeil. I’m very surprised about Branch. Not because he’s undeserving, but because Pearson was the nominee last year, one year after Carmichael. 70s WRs went from being underrepresented to well represented in 3 years.

I’m really glad I’m not a Bengals fan. It makes no sense that Riley was the runner up last year, but didn’t get the nod this year. They really need to expand to more than 1 nominee a year. Gosselin has proposed to make it 3, which would be great.

I agree. I know some would like to keep the HOF smaller but I believe there are so many different players at all of the different positions that deserve a place in the Hall. Anyone want to take a stab at the nominee for the contributors? I am hoping for Kilroy myself.

McNally contributor nominee. Well deserved.

• DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Had to scramble to grab one of these. Three years prior to his regular rookie.

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

Only available on the team sheet?

@GDM67 said:
    Only available on the team sheet?

I’m pretty sure there were two ways to get these: perforated team sheets or unperforated singles. In both cases you had to order them through the mail. This copy is one of the singles. You can tell because the edges are clean (weren’t separated from the team sheet) and there’s no perforation on the “new player” tab.

That said, while I’ve seen both perforated and unperforated copies of other player update stamps, like the Langer, I’ve never seen a perforated Branch nor a full Raiders team sheet. I only assume they actually exist!

@DEFPOTEC said:

I’m pretty sure there were two ways to get these: perforated team sheets or unperforated singles. In both cases you had to order them through the mail.

I didn't know that. I thought the only options were the nine packs and the team sheets, which usually had a couple of new players at the bottom who weren't in the original set. I didn't know unperforated singles were ever available.

@GDM67 said:

@DEFPOTEC said:

I’m pretty sure there were two ways to get these: perforated team sheets or unperforated singles. In both cases you had to order them through the mail.

I didn't know that. I thought the only options were the nine packs and the team sheets, which usually had a couple of new players at the bottom who weren't in the original set. I didn't know unperforated singles were ever available.

I tried digging up a photo of the form and this is the best I could find.

You could order the team sheets and/or singles. The team sheets were perforated, the singles were not. Mail order was the only way to get the new player stamps, of course, which is why they’re so much rarer than the main set of 624 that were in the 9-stamp sheets you could get at the gas station.

Love this set…can you tell? Haha.

I have a Redskins team sheet. As noted on the order form there, Terry Hermeling and Paul Laaveg are the new guys, available only via this method. They're both pictured in the new helmets they started wearing in 1972 (everyone else is pictured in the 1970-71 style gold helmets)

I'm guessing that because of all of this, the Branch is fairly rare and sought after. It's a really nice pickup.

We discussed this set a little in the '72 Topps set thread a few years ago: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/659760/1972-topps-football-official-psa-thread/p1#7421570

My understanding is that the Raiders team sheet is far and away the rarest of the team sheets for some reason. Not sure why, but that’s what I’ve always heard over the years. And about a decade of eBay sleuthing has corroborated. While all the team sheets are rare, I’ve seen multiples of most teams…but never a Raiders team sheet.

I haven’t done it in a couple years but need to grab a bunch of the unopened packs. Not expensive…can find for close to $2 per pack if buying volume…and it’s fun as hell to bust them. Legends galore.

• GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Any ideas on this year's crop to be inducted? Also, anyone on the radar in current players that may be moving into hall contention? Love to hear the input of this group.

• Just a wild guess:

DeMarcus Ware
    Tony Boselli
    Richard Seymour
    Torry Holt
    Ronde Barber

Plus all three senior, contributor, and coach nominees

Branch
    McNally
    Vermeil

I think the Future HOF set captures a lot of future candidates. Some people missing from that list or who might need another good year to two, in my opinion, are guys like Travis Kelce, Antonio Brown, Jalen Ramsey, Julio Jones, Terrell Suggs, Richard Sherman, Jason Peters, Tyron Smith, Maurkice Pouncey, Cam Jordan, Zack Martin, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, Marshall Yanda, Justin Tucker. Probably lots of others that I'm missing.

With a pass-heavy league and seemingly fewer three down backs with long and productive careers, I'm wondering if guys like Fred Taylor, Corey Dillon, Sean Alexander, Jamaal Lewis, LeSean McCoy, and Marshawn Lynch will get more love in the near future.

• GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Frank Gore jumps out to me as a RB. I think several of the above have been submitted for inclusion into the Future HOF registry set, but nothing has been done for a while. I'm not really sure what we can do as a group to speed up the process.

I did receive a survey for the registry yesterday. It sounds like they are looking to make some long overdue changes. There are many sets that need to be updated.

I think the Future HOF set captures a lot of future candidates. Some people missing from that list or who might need another good year to two, in my opinion, are guys like Travis Kelce, Antonio Brown, Jalen Ramsey, Julio Jones, Terrell Suggs, Richard Sherman, Jason Peters, Tyron Smith, Maurkice Pouncey, Cam Jordan, Zack Martin, Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas, Marshall Yanda, Justin Tucker.

I agree with most of these. Most have been sent to be voted on. I believe Suggs is already on the set registry and Wagner is probably already a first ballot guy.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

My guesses for next year's new player inductees:

Torry Holt
    LeRoy Butler
    Tony Boselli
    Richard Seymour
    Sam Mills (Final year of Modern eligibility)
    Cliff Branch

Jared Allen, Reggie Wayne, Zach Thomas and Ronde Barber are the others who came close last year, and none would surprise me as members of the class of 2022. Neither would DeMarcus Ware in his first year of eligibility. I think he's worthy, but the backlog might push him back a year or 2.

As for the Future HOFers set, I requested Yanda on 8/8/20. If you're playing along at home, that's 15 months ago. I understand the grading backlog, but they should have figured out a way to stay on top of the Set Registry. I know myself and some others have flat out lost excitement for it.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t see Ronde Barber as a HOFer.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

I have most definitely lost excitement for the registry. Starting to lose excitement for collecting all around. I will continue to collect but it just seems that it isn't quite what it used to be. Not a huge Tampa fan but got to see many of their games, I would definitely consider him a HOFER. May not have the flashiest numbers but he was super versatile and seemed to make the big play when the team needed it the most. I’d like to see Mills make it but I could see him going to the senior committee which would severely hurt his chances at election, especially with the new format.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 6:30AM

I used to collect and complete older FB , Fav player and Yankee teams sets. Nearly all the Yankee cards were very low priced commons. With the big price increases and no "bulk" subs and long wait times all that is gone. If I can't complete a set then I no longer work on them. This includes buying needed cards. The registry for me basically has died.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

@shawther said:
    I have most definitely lost excitement for the registry. Starting to lose excitement for collecting all around. I will continue to collect but it just seems that it isn't quite what it used to be.

I agree, I only do FB HOFers and started with trying to make a HOF registry but have pretty much come to a halt. Really not much out there at reasonable prices. I then started with the basic topps sets for several favorite players and am now having the same issue. It is understandable I guess that people selling cards are asking more than any historical indicator would justify. Likely they paid more to have them graded, and those selling cards in older holders that most likely got the cards graded for less are just trying to see what they can get.

I keep close track of my inventory to see current average and recent pricing as well as the breakdown of grades. What is very apparent is that newer graded cards are coming out with lower grades that similar condition cards in the past but with much higher asking prices.

Such is our hobby today I guess

To me Ware is the surest thing on that list.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Great list of players, I’m excited to see who gets in this year!

I get more excited about the HOF announcements than regular season awards.

Some here on the finalist list are not on the future RC registry.

Wondering what their best RC cards would eventually be.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYOINE

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

These are the ones that I thought would be on the registry:
    Willie Anderson 96 Finest
    Sam Mills 85 Topps USFL
    Bryant Young 94 SP
    Devin Hester 2006 SP Authentic

@shawther said:
    These are the ones that I thought would be on the registry:
    Willie Anderson 96 Finest
    Sam Mills 85 Topps USFL
    Bryant Young 94 SP
    Devin Hester 2006 SP Authentic

The registry is, of course, completely inconsistent when it comes to some of these players. Hester's Topps Chrome rookie is in the All-Time Bears set and Willie Anderson's Topps rookie is in the All-Time Bengals set. Clearly, neither of those cards is the go-to rookie for either player. I think it's pretty clear that SP Authentic is Hester's best RC (I'm in the market for a 9 or 10 if anyone has one for sale), but it's a little trickier for Anderson. 1996 Finest (Brian Dawkins) and Bowman's Best (Ray Lewis) have already been chosen as key issues for the set, so which is the right one for Anderson? Or, is it a different card altogether? Even if we're forced to go with the wrong choices for the HOF RCs set, I'd still like to have the best RC (non auto/parallel) for these players as well.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Registry already has Willie Anderson in Cincinnati Bengals - All Pro and Pro Bowl as the Bowmans Best.
    Hester SP is a /750 card - used to be it needed to be greater than /999 to make it available to all who wanted to collect, so it would be teh Topps Chrome as will all the others from that era.

PSA has already chosen cards with less than 999 production. In the past that was the case that a card needed at least 999. In BK sets cards with production numbers 0f 440 and 500. So, I would assume the SP would still be Hesters best card. They have also chosen Upper Deck for one seta and Ultra for another set for the same player.

I am not into buying several cards of modern players. Choose one and only one and make it the best one.

Now you can't run out and buy a raw card and expect grading with PSA. What is available will be what is it and sellers will know that and charge a premium.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

Ray Lewis doesn't have a finest
    Dawkins doesn't have a Bowmans Best

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • I had this conversation with Consetta recently around Derrick Henry. His card forever and always going forward will be his optic card, not the Prizm or any other. Someone chose the Optic card for the Heisman set already. Since the Topps and Bowmans Best have already been chosen, it is highly unlikely that the SP card can be chosen.

• I think we should stick with the >999 that has been the standard for this set since its inception regardless of what basketball or other sets might be doing.

@sufferingbillsfan said:
    I think we should stick with the >999 that has been the standard for this set since its inception regardless of what basketball or other sets might be doing.

Agreed, but if you ask anyone who works on the Set Registry now, they'll tell you that this rule never actually existed.

• I've only been collecting this set since '12, but reading through the history of this thread (search 999) and there have been numerous conversations on the topic of numbered cards, parallels, autos, etc. and some unofficial rules that were adhered to when identifying cards for the set. Ideally, all collectors of the set would get a vote. That would mean that PSA would have to start giving a shit about the registry again and process requests for polls. Selected cards should be valuable while still obtainable. Otherwise, it might just be a race to see who gets their "1 of 1" card in first.

Ok since Hester has a card. Topps chrome #252

would this be accepted? it is same card just listed as special edition. PSA does have this as a separate card line

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Nope. It does not.

TY for that info

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • I found out the hard way on the Bears all pro.

• That Hester is reminiscent of the Farve (Favre)'91 Stadium Club SB XXV1 variant. Does that card count on the HOF registry? I've been looking at "05 Score Robert Mathis cards recently and it looks like there is a "Glossy" variation. Would that card count toward a future registry?

• Glossy version does not count either. Another card I learned about the hard way! I've owned both, not sure I can tell you the difference. Some I sent in came back glossy, so not glossy.

• I appreciate you sharing your experiences and allowing us to learn lessons from your misfortune.

• I have been a member of this set for nearly 2 decades. It is my pride and joy. Unfortunately since we are no longer able to grade commons for quite some time, it seems to me that the registry will end as we knew it. I will try to complete some of the sets I have 85% in (1953, 1982, 1963), but the 1970's sets seem no longer attainable. I am not a fan of the first to request a card and have it carry for all sets, but that is the way we are headed. For the first time in 15 years, I subbed a package to SGC today. It is sad to see.

edited January 4, 2022 6:28AM

I triple what Bill said.
    I collect the 4 major sports. Topps Yankee team sets and FB sets as well as players sets.
    Recently I received back 40 cards that a fellow longtime collector friend subbed for me. After almost 1 1/2 years I got them back. Mostly PSA 7's and no 9's. This was a pre 1971 special. He said it looked like the grader was very "harsh." He has the best eye of anyone I know. Ever and at least 20+ years' experience. I showed this lot to some fellow collectors all I consider experts, and a dealer of 30+ years who sends in tons of cards as well as his sone who is an ex beckett grader. All cannot believe what a hose job. I have 15K psa (8,9,10) cards so I am no newbie and am so pissed. I cannot write here what else they said.
    My last PSA sub for sure. If I cannot complete as set I will not keep working on them or buy cards I need.

If I send in cards for pleasure, it will be SGC.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

@jay0791
    You hit the nail on the head. I feel exactly the same way. I got a submission back that was out over a year and was extremely frustrated with the grades. I had a few that were off 3 grades from what I was expecting which has never happened before. I have my brother go through my submission before I send them in and we both write a range of where each card should grade. Almost every card that falls below that range was cracked and resubmitted with 100% grade increase upon return. Some coming back 2 grades higher than the first submission. I was okay with the few misses that came back but the last submission about half came back graded lower than expected with about half of those coming back 2 or more grades lower. Sucks to wait so long to get the cards back just to be disappointed with the results. I’d also like to be able to rate the grader. It would at least make me feel like PSA cared about their inconsistencies. So much more I could say.

• Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Any thoughts on who might be selected this year? I’d really like to see Sam Mills get in, especially if this is his last year of eligibility as a modern candidate. I enjoyed watching him play.

And of course being a Packer fan I’d love to see Butler get in but it’s probably too early for him. He may have to wait a few more years.

If Butler is a finalist, I don’t know why Rodney Harrison doesn’t get HOF love. Not saying Butler isn’t deserving, just saying they’re comparable players and Harrison barely gets a sniff.

Yaz Master Set

Just for kicks, I went to see when I requested Marshal Yanda to be added to the Future HOF Players set...

August 18, 2020

If you're playing along at home, that's 17 months ago. ONE SEVEN.

• Hopefully we all have those Yandas submitted prior to the shutdown. Can't see many getting graded at $100 or even $50 each.

• Makes me feel better about my submissions for Aaron Donald and Travis Kelce. Those were only 13 months ago.

• @sufferingbillsfan said:
    Makes me feel better about my submissions for Aaron Donald and Travis Kelce. Those were only 13 months ago.

I have a ton of future HOF/All Pro like this there. Over 200 cards. Chrome and Prizm RC's. I was in shock when one of my 7 orders moved last week.

• dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@BillsGridironGreats said:

@sufferingbillsfan said:
    Makes me feel better about my submissions for Aaron Donald and Travis Kelce. Those were only 13 months ago.

I have a ton of future HOF/All Pro like this there. Over 200 cards. Chrome and Prizm RC's. I was in shock when one of my 7 orders moved last week.

Excited to see what you submitted!

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.