Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    In addition to the new HOFers for the HOF RCs set, these are my pending football requests:

Aug 18, 2020
    Future HOF Rookie Players - Modern
    2015 TOPPS 273 MARSHAL YANDA

Oct 26, 2020
    All-Time NFL Great Quarterbacks
    2008 TOPPS CHROME TC166 MATT RYAN

Yes, that first one says AUGUST. I also have a basketball card request in from July of last year. It's very surprising to me that PSA would just let the Set Registry fall by the wayside like this, especially given how much of their success has come as a result of it. Just a real head scratcher. Oh well. I'm trying to look at the bright side, though, and concentrate on creating/adding to Showcase collections that can be any grouping I like.

I have been doing the same as well with the showcases. I am very surprised the HOF sets ha e not been updated since they do not require a vote.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

2006 MVP Voting
    LaDainian Tomlinson 44
    Drew Brees 4
    Peyton Manning 2

Runner up with 4 votes, but ok.

Brees total MVP votes from 2010-2019 v. other QBs over same time period...
    Tom Brady, 113
    Aaron Rodgers 93
    Peyton Manning 68.5.
    Lamar Jackson 50
    Cam Newton, 48
    Patrick Mahomes 41
    Matt Ryan , 24
    Drew Brees, 11
    Carson Wentz 2
    Tony Romo, 2
    Carson Palmer, 1

Lets do the same for 2000-2009 timeframe...
    Peyton Manning 160 1/2
    Tom Brady 67
    Kurt Warner 34
    Steve McNair 27
    Rich Gannon 24
    Brett Favre 17
    Drew Brees 11 1/2
    Donovan McNabb 11
    Philip Rivers 4
    Chad Pennington 4
    Carson Palmer 2
    Michael Vick 2

Brees has put up 1st ballot HOF numbers, no question and is a HOF person, no question...But he isn't a top 10 All-Time QB, nor was he ever the best player in the league... 2006 the only season of his 20 year career he was considered the best QB. As the MVP vote totals show you, there were MANY QBs with more dominant single seasons..Brees, consistently great QB, but he's not in the same league as Manning/Brady/Rodgers..But he is certainly WELL ABOVE the Matt Ryan/Philip Rivers/Eli Manning group...

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JasP24 said:
    2006 MVP Voting
    LaDainian Tomlinson 44
    Drew Brees 4
    Peyton Manning 2

Runner up with 4 votes, but ok.

Brees total MVP votes from 2010-2019 v. other QBs over same time period...
    Tom Brady, 113
    Aaron Rodgers 93
    Peyton Manning 68.5.
    Lamar Jackson 50
    Cam Newton, 48
    Patrick Mahomes 41
    Matt Ryan , 24
    Drew Brees, 11
    Carson Wentz 2
    Tony Romo, 2
    Carson Palmer, 1

Lets do the same for 2000-2009 timeframe...
    Peyton Manning 160 1/2
    Tom Brady 67
    Kurt Warner 34
    Steve McNair 27
    Rich Gannon 24
    Brett Favre 17
    Drew Brees 11 1/2
    Donovan McNabb 11
    Philip Rivers 4
    Chad Pennington 4
    Carson Palmer 2
    Michael Vick 2

Brees has put up 1st ballot HOF numbers, no question and is a HOF person, no question...But he isn't a top 10 All-Time QB, nor was he ever the best player in the league... 2006 the only season of his 20 year career he was considered the best QB. As the MVP vote totals show you, there were MANY QBs with more dominant single seasons..Brees, consistently great QB, but he's not in the same league as Manning/Brady/Rodgers..But he is certainly WELL ABOVE the Matt Ryan/Philip Rivers/Eli Manning group...

Out of curiosity where would you rate Russell Wilson? You give a lot of weight to MVPs. Russell Wilson has never had a single MVP vote. I also would not put Rodgers in Brady’s class.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

Out of curiosity where would you rate Russell Wilson? You give a lot of weight to MVPs. Russell Wilson has never had a single MVP vote. I also would not put Rodgers in Brady’s class.

I'd put Russell in the Big Ben category...Although he still needs at least one more SB Ring to get there..That's his trajectory...And yes, I think Big Ben is a HOFer above the Ryan/Rivers/Eli group...

Nobody is in Brady's class...But those 3 QBs are the best/most dominant of the last 20 years...Brady and Manning are among the top 4 QBs all-time (w/Unitas and Montana), IMO thats not even debatable. The next group, for me, would be Marino, Elway, Otto Graham in whatever order...Third group from 8-12 ALL TIME would consist of Favre, Staubach, Baugh, Starr and Aaron Rodgers..Certainly debatable but this is how I stack QBs all-time via my eyes...

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

What year did qb's stop calling their own plays. I think the ones that did get a little boost in my rankings. jasP24 yours is great. I agree.

• Options

Not sure the exact order > @JasP24 said:

I'd put Russell in the Big Ben category...Although he still needs at least one more SB Ring to get there..That's his trajectory...And yes, I think Big Ben is a HOFer above the Ryan/Rivers/Eli group...

Nobody is in Brady's class...But those 3 QBs are the best/most dominant of the last 20 years...Brady and Manning are among the top 4 QBs all-time (w/Unitas and Montana), IMO thats not even debatable. The next group, for me, would be Marino, Elway, Otto Graham in whatever order...Third group from 8-12 ALL TIME would consist of Favre, Staubach, Baugh, Starr and Aaron Rodgers..Certainly debatable but this is how I stack QBs all-time via my eyes...

Agree on 95 % of it. If you value team accomplishments more you could bump
    Rodgers from the last group and add Bradshaw. His team was incredible but 4 Super Bowls and 2 MVPs has to be worth more than 2 bad home field losses in playoffs 1 SB. Rodgers was stellar this year in the regular season but failed again at home. I also think that Russ is superior to Big Ben and has been a top 3 QB the last 5 seasons but the comparison is fair. None of this is done in a bubble and it is hard to compare eras and situations. Complete agreement on your statements on all others.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2021 6:17AM

Well said. And the thing about it, each HOF voter weights things a little different. They are all valuable categories of attempting to measure greatness.

Over the past few years overall, accumulated stats have been downplayed while seasonal dominance, measured by MVP/All-Pro votes have gotten a boost. (Calvin Johnson over Holt and Wayne as example)...All-Decade accomplishments have turned into near automatic induction and guys with under 100 career games are now being elected.

It’s all subjective and there is no right/wrong answer. My QB rankings are based 1000% on my own eyes and what I’ve watched live or on old game film. I disagree with MVP voters and HOF voters all the time and that ok too.

• Options

With Prizm cards gaining steam in football will they surpass Topps Chrome on cards from 2012-2015 and become the key card for the Registry?

• Options

Changing cards for player is worse than getting wisdom teeth pulled. I doubt it! Most of these cards are already set in other key card sets.

• Options

@BillsGridironGreats said:
    Changing cards for player is worse than getting wisdom teeth pulled. I doubt it! Most of these cards are already set in other key card sets.

I agree with that for sure

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I am wondering what happens to the registry with the new ownership? Does it continue to be neglected or do they put a little more effort into it to try to keep collectors interested? The price hikes won’t hit this set as hard as it will hit the others. That being said, I know many of us have put in requests for a few changes to the Futures set. It would be nice to see some of these players be voted into the Future HOF registry.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

@shawther said:
    I am wondering what happens to the registry with the new ownership? Does it continue to be neglected or do they put a little more effort into it to try to keep collectors interested? The price hikes won’t hit this set as hard as it will hit the others. That being said, I know many of us have put in requests for a few changes to the Futures set. It would be nice to see some of these players be voted into the Future HOF registry.

Excellent question. I appreciate the (monthly?) emails/updates from Steve Sloan, but he never has anything to say about the Set Registry. I've thought about reaching out to him directly. Maybe I will.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

@shawther said:
    The price hikes won’t hit this set as hard as it will hit the others."

Really have you seen the prices of Rodgers regular Topps and Chrome RCs in PSA10 lately? Completely insane.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Routinely hitting $5K
    I bet you have several.....

He was at $4K last year. I wonder if jeopardy has helped a tad.
    I really like him and he is getting comfortable. I heard he would like to do the show full time.
    Just................that job should belong to Ken Jennings.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jradke4 said:

@shawther said:

Really have you seen the prices of Rodgers regular Topps and Chrome RCs in PSA10 lately? Completely insane.

I know. I meant the price hikes to get them graded. 🙂 The registry for HOF collectors will remain strong as it will still be worth grading most cards. Those registries that require grading commons will take the hit and will ultimately loose registry members.

• Options

@jay0791 said:
    Routinely hitting $5K
    I bet you have several.....

He was at $4K last year. I wonder if jeopardy has helped a tad.
    I really like him and he is getting comfortable. I heard he would like to do the show full time.
    Just................that job should belong to Ken Jennings.

I have a few but no chrome in a PSA 10

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

@shawther said:

@jradke4 said:

@shawther said:

I know. I meant the price hikes to get them graded. 🙂 The registry for HOF collectors will remain strong as it will still be worth grading most cards. Those registries that require grading commons will take the hit and will ultimately loose registry members.

I would disagree especially for those that are collecting for personal set rather than profit. 1 year ago you could have gotten a 2005 Topps Chrome Rodgers Rookie graded at PSA for $20 or less. Now good luck getting that for under $100.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

@jradke4 said:

@shawther said:

@jradke4 said:

@shawther said:

I would disagree especially for those that are collecting for personal set rather than profit. 1 year ago you could have gotten a 2005 Topps Chrome Rodgers Rookie graded at PSA for $20 or less. Now good luck getting that for under $100.

It just makes sense to grade that card even at $100. Protection and even if just as a pc it makes it easy to move if you had to sell for any reason. My Sam Mills cards on the other hand...

• Options

Collecting also has to be affordable. Some people have deep pockets and will spend money for grading regardless of the value of the card. Others, it would not make sense with the grading standards changing and prices on the rise. I have a TC Rogers in for grading at the moment. I also have a 9 in my PC and another that will stay raw in the set that it came with. Those cards, like many others, are obviously still worth grading.

• Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭

I’ve got a quick question please regarding the set registry. Regarding the NFL HOF Rookie set does it allow you to add the Die Cut versions of a player rookie card or only the base card? Example, Peyton Manning 98 SP?

Thanks

• Options

I believe only the base cards, Doc.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Thank you.

• Options

Anyone (and, by anyone, I mostly mean JP 😀) heard any chatter on who the Senior nominee will be this year? Is it just one player again?

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    Anyone (and, by anyone, I mostly mean JP 😀) heard any chatter on who the Senior nominee will be this year? Is it just one player again?

One Coach, one contributor and one senior is my understanding moving forward until they change the format again.

As far as player selections, haven't heard anything for this year...I don't think the senior nominee ballots have even gone out yet but should shortly.

• Options

Just for fun…. Don Coryell, Bucko Kilroy, Randy Gradishar

• Options

My best guess for senior player---One of these 3 Joe Klecko, Randy Gradishar or Ken Riley..

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JasP24 said:
    My best guess for senior player---One of these 3 Joe Klecko, Randy Gradishar or Ken Riley..

If that’s the case, I vote Gradishar well ahead of the other 2.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@JasP24 said:

If that’s the case, I vote Gradishar well ahead of the other 2.

I agree with you..In fact, there are others I'd choose above all 3 of these guys at these positions...Give me Big Daddy Lipscomb, Lester Hayes and Tommy Nobis at these positions....

My guesses are based on last years voting, where Ken Riley was actually the runner-up behind Drew Pearson...

Jason

• Options

Would be great for Lester to get some love but Cliff Branch is WAY overdue

• Options

Agree on Nobis.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@Pinkcatfish said:

Could not agree more. I have another unpopular one, but if sacks were kept as an official stat in the 70s then Harvey Martin would already be in. 14 game seasons 77 - 23 sacks 7 78 - 16 79 - 9 80 - 12 81 - 10 82 - 8 (strike shortened) along with being a co super bowl MVP.

• Options

Has Maxie Baughan’s chances slipped away? I wasn’t around to watch him play but through research and accolades he seems deserving.

• Options
    edited June 17, 2021 7:21AM

@Pinkcatfish said:

Branch should have gotten in before Pearson AND Carmichael...But unfortunately he didn't, and with only 1 Senior per Class the next few years I cant imagine they will go back to the well for another 70's centric WR...Branch probably has a good wait ahead of him...

Baughan was close, made the top 15 and/or final 5 Seniors multiple times between 2011-2018, but Gradishar and Nobis both made the cut to 20 for the centennial class while Baughan did not...I think its going to be a tough slog for any player who didn't make the top 20 senior finalist list in December 2019 to leapfrog others at their position who id make that top 20.

• Options

@JasP24 said:

@Pinkcatfish said:

Branch should have gotten in before Pearson AND Carmichael...But unfortunately he didn't, and with only 1 Senior per Class the next few years I cant imagine they will go back to the well for another 70's centric WR...Branch probably has a good wait ahead of him...

Completely agree. Branch definitely should have gone in ahead of both Pearson and Carmichael (especially the latter), but his candidacy was hurt by his passing. The HOF likes to get player reactions, interviews, etc., and that obviously wasn't possible for Branch. It's a real shame.

• Options

Anyone know when the decision for the senior/contributor/coaching finalists will be announced?

• Options

Usually in august sometime, I think.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

Saw the list of 1st year eligible players for next year....had a hard time seeing one that was a lock first ballot HOFer...not sure Winfork is first ballot.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

@jradke4 said:
    Saw the list of 1st year eligible players for next year....had a hard time seeing one that was a lock first ballot HOFer...not sure Winfork is first ballot.

I'd say DeMarcus Ware would have the best chance. 9x Pro Bowl (4x first team), 2x sack leader, SP champ, 2000's all-decade team. Top 10 all-time sacks (official stats).

• Options

@shawther said:
    Anyone know when the decision for the senior/contributor/coaching finalists will be announced?

It was announced on August 18th last year. I would imagine it will be announced right around the same time this year.

• Options

Read a Yahoo article where Marcus was pounding the table for Branch this past weekend. We can only hope

• Options

@Pinkcatfish said:
    Read a Yahoo article where Marcus was pounding the table for Branch this past weekend. We can only hope

I think Branch definitely should have gone in ahead of both Carmichael and Pearson. But I'd be very surprised if they chose a 1970s WR to be the Senior nominee 2 years in a row.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Damn.. just reading this, hadn't realized C. Branch had passed. Sad.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2021 7:06PM

@sufferingbillsfan said:

@jradke4 said:

I'd say DeMarcus Ware would have the best chance. 9x Pro Bowl (4x first team), 2x sack leader, SP champ, 2000's all-decade team. Top 10 all-time sacks (official stats).

Agreed. This is my unofficial list of upcoming HOF candidates. I've bolded the players who I think could go in first ballot:

2022: DeMarcus Ware, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Tony Romo
    2023: Joe Thomas, Darrelle Revis, Dwight Freeney
    2024: Antonio Gates, Julius Peppers
    2025: Adam Vinatieri, Luke Kuechly, Eli Manning
    2026: Drew Brees, Jason Witten, Philip Rivers, Maurkice Pouncey

Again, this is unofficial. Just from a spreadsheet that I've been keeping for years. Regarding 2026, it would be so cool to see Brees and the player who replaced him go in together, but I have a feeling Rivers will have to wait at least a year.

• Options

List looks pretty good to me. I would add Freeney to the bold list (maybe ahead of Revis).

I think the senior will be on defense this year. Probably a LB - Nobis or Gradishar possible Greenwood. Branch is the only offensive player with a chance IMHO.

• Options

@BillsGridironGreats said:
    List looks pretty good to me. I would add Freeney to the bold list (maybe ahead of Revis).

I think the senior will be on defense this year. Probably a LB - Nobis or Gradishar possible Greenwood. Branch is the only offensive player with a chance IMHO.

Just saw that the Senior nominee will be announced next Tuesday (8/24). Riley, Gradishar and Branch are the 3 names I've seen mentioned the most. Also, for what it's worth, it was revealed that Joe Klecko made the cut to the final 15.

• Options
    DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Dang, was hoping it would be today, based on the timing of previous announcements. Will have to be patient. Always look forward to the senior committee announcements. My guess is Gradishar gets the nod.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:

@sufferingbillsfan said:

@jradke4 said:

Agreed. This is my unofficial list of upcoming HOF candidates. I've bolded the players who I think could go in first ballot:

Again, this is unofficial. Just from a spreadsheet that I've been keeping for years. Regarding 2026, it would be so cool to see Brees and the player who replaced him go in together, but I have a feeling Rivers will have to wait at least a year.

Romo is barely Hall of Very Good. If he makes the HOF I would lose a lot of respect in the institution. He was not even the leader on his team. He was a discount rack Brett Favre on his best day.

• Options

@rexvos said:

@shagrotn77 said:

@sufferingbillsfan said:

@jradke4 said:

Romo is barely Hall of Very Good. If he makes the HOF I would lose a lot of respect in the institution. He was not even the leader on his team. He was a discount rack Brett Favre on his best day.

I don't think Romo will get in. Just mentioning that he'll be eligible for the first time next year.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I can't agree more than what has been said. Branch clearly was a superior selection over the 2 WR that got in.
    Unfortunately I thing this year will be a defensive player. Linebacker

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Cliff Branch and Dick Vermeil. I’m very surprised about Branch. Not because he’s undeserving, but because Pearson was the nominee last year, one year after Carmichael. 70s WRs went from being underrepresented to well represented in 3 years.

I’m really glad I’m not a Bengals fan. It makes no sense that Riley was the runner up last year, but didn’t get the nod this year. They really need to expand to more than 1 nominee a year. Gosselin has proposed to make it 3, which would be great.