Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options

SO who is it gonna be guys?
    Pearson, Manning, Woodson, Faneca, Reggie Wayne, Lynch?

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillsGridironGreats said:
    SO who is it gonna be guys?
    Pearson, Manning, Woodson, Faneca, Reggie Wayne, Lynch?

I’m a Patriots homer, so I had that group except I substituted Seymour for R.Wayne. Although I can definitely see Wayne going in with Manning.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 7:30PM

My guesses---
    Peyton Manning^
    Charles Woodson^
    Alan Faneca
    Calvin Johnson^
    John Lynch

Cut to 10--
    Tony Boselli
    Richard Seymour
    Zach Thomas
    Clay Matthews
    LeRoy Butler

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Sticking with Manning, Woodson, Seymour, Lynch, Faneca and Pearson.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Josie Wales cabin shoopout scene.

Granny to Chief (Dan George) "we're gonna git em injuns." "No offense"

Reply "non taken"

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

No surprise here, but Manning and Woodson have already been confirmed.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

One of my favorite moments in sports is watching David Baker knock on the doors to let the players know they have been selected. Does anyone know if the process is the same this years? Did they convene all of the finalists in one location or are they doing it differently due to COVID?

• Options

Manning, Woodson, Wayne, Faneca, and Megatron

• Options

@sufferingbillsfan said:
    One of my favorite moments in sports is watching David Baker knock on the doors to let the players know they have been selected. Does anyone know if the process is the same this years? Did they convene all of the finalists in one location or are they doing it differently due to COVID?

Based on this article, it sounds like David Baker traveled to the homes of the inductees to break the good news to them. If so, that would be awesome. Talk about going above and beyond.

https://sports.yahoo.com/not-even-covid-could-stop-the-the-knock-the-pro-football-hall-of-fames-most-treasured-tradition-235008327.html

• Options
    edited February 6, 2021 7:32PM

Hearing Lynch, Calvin Johnson and Faneca in addition to Manning and Woodson.

• Options

I gave y'all the top 5 and 10 a few days ago..." no leaks".....

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

That's awesome, JP! Hoping Seymour and Butler make it next year. Matthews is off to the Senior pool and Mills has one last shot as a Modern candidate?

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Nice going JP.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2021 9:33PM

I got 4 out of 5. I had Seymour in over Megatron. Oh well. Do we still think Seymour eventually gets in?

Edit to add: I think he, Thomas and Butler are the most deserving who missed this year.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    I got 4 out of 5. I had Seymour in over Megatron. Oh well. Do we still think Seymour eventually gets in?

Edit to add: I think he, Thomas and Butler are the most deserving who missed this year.

This was supposedly the order of the vote tally for those who didn't get in...I believe this was the 3rd time Boselli finished 6th in the voting...With all other OL candidates no in, have to think he gets over the hump next class...

Tony Boselli
    Richard Seymour
    Zach Thomas
    Clay Matthews
    LeRoy Butler

No 1st ballot "Locks" next year, although DeMarcus Ware mostly likely gets in. After that, long wait type guys like Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, etc..Should be a good clean up year. My early expectations for next years class would be-

Ware
    Boselli
    Seymour
    Thomas
    5th guy, the averages say it should be someone who made the cut to 15, but not to 10. a WR, Wayne or Holt would seem most likely to have an offensive skill position player in the class.

I think Butler gets in the Class of 2023.

• Options

Respectfully disagree on Thomas. I think he is a first ballot lock. Jason, If you did have some insider knowledge, I appreciate you pretending like you didn't. I purposely avoided trying to find out so that I could enjoy the suspense during the Honors show. I think they did a good job under the circumstances.

Does anyone else pull the cards of the newly enshrined players out of their future HOF pile and put them into their HOF stack and say "Welcome to the Hall of Fame"? No? Me neither, that would be weird.

Prediction for tomorrow Bucs 31 Chiefs 27

• Options
    edited February 7, 2021 5:56AM

I initially posted them as “official” then quickly edited the post to say “my guesses”. Lol

I will say though in a typical year when the meeting happens in person this is not the forum to visit if you want to wait for the NFL Honors show to find out who made it.

Usually multiple posts here with the selections prior to the show airing.

Now if we could just have PSA move the card from the future to current set with similar speed!?!

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Ware should be a lock based on his career accomplishments and stats.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Agree Dave, Ware should be a lock.

• Options

@dfr52 said:

Luckily, its a weak class with no other 1st ballot candidates, so highly likely he will be elected on 1st ballot. If he were a candidate in for the 2023 Class rather than 2022, not so sure he gets in 1st ballot. "Locks" should be guys who go in without debate.

In 2023, OT Joe Thomas is a "lock", while Darelle Revis and Dwight Freeney are highly likely 1st ballot guys, but could be debated. Where would DeMarcus Ware fit in with these 4? Never had 4 1st ballot HOFers since the inaugural class in 1963. If I am stacking those 4, I'm putting Ware 4th. Seeing as the other 3 were all 1st Team All-Decade selections and Ware a 2nd Team All-Decade selection, I would think the voters would stack him 4th as well...Hence Not exactly a 100% lock in any given year....

Maybe clarifies my statement a little better...

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@JasP24 said:

@dfr52 said:

Luckily, its a weak class with no other 1st ballot candidates, so highly likely he will be elected on 1st ballot. If he were a candidate in for the 2023 Class rather than 2022, not so sure he gets in 1st ballot. "Locks" should be guys who go in without debate.

In 2023, OT Joe Thomas is a "lock", while Darelle Revis and Dwight Freeney are highly likely 1st ballot guys, but could be debated. Where would DeMarcus Ware fit in with these 4? Never had 4 1st ballot HOFers since the inaugural class in 1963. If I am stacking those 4, I'm putting Ware 4th. Seeing as the other 3 were all 1st Team All-Decade selections and Ware a 2nd Team All-Decade selection, I would think the voters would stack him 4th as well...Hence Not exactly a 100% lock in any given year....

Maybe clarifies my statement a little better...

Ware should have a resume to be considered a lock but the absence of a first team selection will affect his candidacy. The voters tend to rely to heavily on All Decade selections especially when they rewrite history and award players the honor when there might be better options who have more All Pros or Pro Bowls. LB is also tricky for All Decade teams because the voters disregard actual position and lump them all together. To sum it up, Ware is not a lock because of the voters perceptions and tendencies rather than his actual career.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

Great point on the LBs...For All-Pro's they have at least started separating EDGE rushers and regular LBs, should help in the future.

Agree with you 100% on Ware. Ware was somewhat of a tweener, An A+ pass rusher and a solid B LB...Will he be in the HOF? Most certainly....But for all the reasons you mentioned, he's not a first ballot "lock", but since he's coming eligible in a weak year, he's very likely to be elected on 1st ballot..I'd say 90% odds he goes in Class of 2022...If he doesn't go in 1st ballot, he might end up with a wait...As Edge Rushers go, which was his primary responsibility and claim to fame, I'd put him behind Freeney (eligible in 2023) and Julius Peppers (eligible 2024), but ahead of Jared Allen who was a finalist this year...When it comes to LB play, he's probably behind Zach Thomas, then Kuechly who's eligible in 2025...

Another reason for the voters to really get him the requisite votes in 2022...

• Options

My way too early Class of 2022---
    DeMarcus Ware
    Tony Boselli
    Richard Seymour
    Zach Thomas
    Reggie Wayne

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I think I am looking forward to who the senior candidates might be next year. Still plenty of deserving candidates but hoping that Kilroy gets in soon. Also hoping for Gradishar. Too many LB’s have been overlooked.

• Options

@shawther said:
    I think I am looking forward to who the senior candidates might be next year. Still plenty of deserving candidates but hoping that Kilroy gets in soon. Also hoping for Gradishar. Too many LB’s have been overlooked.

Nobis!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

I would put money on one of these 7 guys for 2022 Senior...

ROGER CRAIG
    L.C. GREENWOOD
    JOE KLECKO
    RANDY GRADISHAR
    TOMMY NOBIS
    CHUCK HOWLEY
    KEN RILEY

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

@shawther said:

Howley!

• Options

@JasP24 said:

ROGER CRAIG
    L.C. GREENWOOD
    JOE KLECKO
    RANDY GRADISHAR
    TOMMY NOBIS
    CHUCK HOWLEY
    KEN RILEY

I’ve long been a supporter of Craig for the HOF but I’d be ok with Greenwood or one of the LBs as well. I don’t think Klecko is HOF worthy.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@JasP24 said:

ROGER CRAIG
    L.C. GREENWOOD
    JOE KLECKO
    RANDY GRADISHAR
    TOMMY NOBIS
    CHUCK HOWLEY
    KEN RILEY

I sure hope so since I have all of these cards. Lol. I've been advocating for Howley for a while, but I wouldn't mind Riley sneaking in ahead of him. Plus, I wouldn't think the Senior committee would put a Cowboy in 2 years in a row. Nobis would be a good one, too.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2021 7:39AM

@shagrotn77 said:

@JasP24 said:

ROGER CRAIG
    L.C. GREENWOOD
    JOE KLECKO
    RANDY GRADISHAR
    TOMMY NOBIS
    CHUCK HOWLEY
    KEN RILEY

I sure hope so since I have all of these cards. Lol. I've been advocating for Howley for a while, but I wouldn't mind Riley sneaking in ahead of him. Plus, I wouldn't think the Senior committee would put a Cowboy in 2 years in a row. Nobis would be a good one, too.

Great point on Cowboys...I would see most definitely scratch Howley from the list and maybe add Clay Matthews since he made the cut to 10 before heading off to the Senior Pool. I didn't put enough thought before copy and pasting those from last years "near miss" list of senior candidates....

FYI- These would not particularly be my personal top choices, nor am I guessing these or pulling random names from hat...These were players who were close/were in the final group being discussed both last year and the year before.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2021 7:34AM

Only players in NFL history who have been HOF finalists 3 or more times and have not yet been inducted---

Bob Kuechenberg--8
    Charley Conerly--7
    L.C. Greenwood--6
    Tony Boselli--5
    Lester Hayes--4
    Joe Jacoby--3
    Richard Seymour--3

Only coaches:
    Don Coryell--5
    Clark Shaughnessy--3

• Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭

I didn’t realize Kuechenberg was a finalist 8 times and still no love. What’s the story with that? Wasn’t he part of the 72 Dolphins undefeated team?

• Options

@Doc1962 said:
    I didn’t realize Kuechenberg was a finalist 8 times and still no love. What’s the story with that? Wasn’t he part of the 72 Dolphins undefeated team?

Yes he was.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

That’s pretty cool. I’ve always respected athletes who take the time to actually sign their name. Great card!

• Options

Pearson and Carmichael getting in before Cliff Branch is an abomination !

• Options

@Pinkcatfish said:
    Pearson and Carmichael getting in before Cliff Branch is an abomination !

I couldn't have said it better myself! When the Centennial candidates were released, I said to myself, "Well the one guy who's guaranteed NOT to make it is Carmichael since Branch and Pearson were clearly better." Ha! But, yeah, Branch should have gone in ahead of both of those guys. While we're on the subject of 70s WRs, Harold Jackson was statistically superior to all of them!

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:

While we're on the subject of 70s WRs, Harold Jackson was statistically superior to all of them!

I've been banging the drum for him for a long time, now.

I also agree about Ken Riley and, while we're talking about '70's Bengals DBs, I've always been puzzled by the lack of attention and acclaim that Lemar Parrish seems to garner.

• Options

I think what happens to Harold Jackson is no different than what happened to Reggie Wayne and Torry Holt this year. They have vastly bigger stat lines than Calvin Johnson, but it seems that voters still somewhat punish accumulators even if they had a nice selection of dominant seasons.

Actually an even better comparison would be WR Jimmy Smith who can’t even get a whiff of the top 25 yet.

Totally agree on Parrish, very overlooked and if you’ve ever watched gametape of those Bengals teams Riley had more help in coverage than Parrish. Riley also seemed to get targeted more as they used Parrish like a true shutdown corner in man-2-man coverage.

My guess it’s the INT totals and the 0 Pro Bowls that gets Riley mentioned as one of the truly “overlooked” players from that era. For my money it would be Parrish in the HOF first.

• Options

Maurkice Pouncey retired today. While I don't think he'll be a first-ballot HOFer, I do think he'll get in, which would put 4 retirees from this year (Brees, Witten, Rivers and Pouncey) in the HOF. It will be really cool if Brees and Rivers (the QB who replaced him in SD) go in together.

• Options

I think with Rivers the issue will be Eli Manning who becomes eligible the year prior.

• Options

i'm pretty new to this. Thoughts on Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson? Seems like Ryan has some work to do with only 4 PB and an MVP.

• Options

@atd6 said:
    i'm pretty new to this. Thoughts on Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson? Seems like Ryan has some work to do with only 4 PB and an MVP.

Put Matt Ryan in similar zone as Rivers...Big numbers, but no titles...Pro Bowls have become meaningless with current players as literally 4th and 5th alternates have been Pro Bowlers recently..All-Pro?MVP/POY votes and All-Decade selections for Award accolades....

Russell Wilson is on a first ballot trajectory, but he needs more good years, bigger numbers.

• Options

I’m a Falcons PSL owner and say no way for HOF for Ryan. I would put Rivers above him for sure.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guarantee he's been discussed but I'll ask away anyway because I like the football knowledge in this thread. Deron Cherry. Any chance Deron ever makes it in as a HOF member? Liked watching him play. I guess he's in the Dennis Smith-Albert Lewis-Joey Browner group? All really good DB'S, but maybe not quite HOF level.

• Options

@hyperchipper09 said:
    I'll guarantee he's been discussed but I'll ask away anyway because I like the football knowledge in this thread. Deron Cherry. Any chance Deron ever makes it in as a HOF member? Liked watching him play. I guess he's in the Dennis Smith-Albert Lewis-Joey Browner group? All really good DB'S, but maybe not quite HOF level.

He's in the Senior candidate pool now...Pretty tough place for Safeties now that Shell, Harris, Dillon, Robinson and Easley have been elected from that group the past 5 years. On the other hand he was voted the 3rd best Safety of the 1980s Decade team, so maybe someday, but I wouldn't hold my breath or expect it.

• Options

Does anyone know, generally, how long it takes for PSA to update the HOF set?

• Options

I requested the additions the day after the announcement. They're normally in by now. Maybe things are delayed by PSA being sold.

• Options

I requested surveys to vote for the addition of Bryant Young, Darren Woodson, Fred Taylor, Aaron Donald, and Travis Kelce back on 12/9. PSA's turnaround times and customer service are lacking.

• Options

In addition to the new HOFers for the HOF RCs set, these are my pending football requests:

Aug 18, 2020
    Future HOF Rookie Players - Modern
    2015 TOPPS 273 MARSHAL YANDA

Oct 26, 2020
    All-Time NFL Great Quarterbacks
    2008 TOPPS CHROME TC166 MATT RYAN

Yes, that first one says AUGUST. I also have a basketball card request in from July of last year. It's very surprising to me that PSA would just let the Set Registry fall by the wayside like this, especially given how much of their success has come as a result of it. Just a real head scratcher. Oh well. I'm trying to look at the bright side, though, and concentrate on creating/adding to Showcase collections that can be any grouping I like.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JasP24 said:

@dfr52 said:

@JasP24 said:

@dfr52 said:
    I am in the Brees camp as well. The stats show that he out performed Rodgers .

The stats show he outperformed everyone, including Brady, no disputing that....I wonder what Rodgers numbers would be had he played his home games in a Dome v. Lambeau? Or with Sean Payton calling his plays? Strange that Brees was never considered the best QB in the league in any given year tho...0 First Team All-Pro selection...VERY low vote totals over such a long career with such large numbers...I think it's safe to say that the HOF voters are able to place that "handicap" on Brees numbers due to the variables listed above? Or do you believe there has been some conspiracy against Brees, who IMO is one of if not the nicest NFL players I've ever met or been around?

No conspiracy, Brees just bested Rodgers statistically for the decade. As far as the coaching goes Mike McCarthy might not be Sean Payton but he can win games as well. If Rodgers did not want to play in Green Bay he could of refused the contracts he has signed over the years. It is fair to wonder what weather or scheme play into a players performance but I don't believe those can be used to discount a players production.

So then why has Brees, who has statistically outperformed everyone for the decade...Not been an MVP, not been a first team All-Pro, and was not selected to the All-Decade team?

2006 he was runner up> @shagrotn77 said:

In addition to the new HOFers for the HOF RCs set, these are my pending football requests:

Aug 18, 2020
    Future HOF Rookie Players - Modern
    2015 TOPPS 273 MARSHAL YANDA

Oct 26, 2020
    All-Time NFL Great Quarterbacks
    2008 TOPPS CHROME TC166 MATT RYAN

Yes, that first one says AUGUST. I also have a basketball card request in from July of last year. It's very surprising to me that PSA would just let the Set Registry fall by the wayside like this, especially given how much of their success has come as a result of it. Just a real head scratcher. Oh well. I'm trying to look at the bright side, though, and concentrate on creating/adding to Showcase collections that can be any grouping I like.

I am out on Matt Ryan in the ATG QB set.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies