Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best registry thread on the forums in my opinion.

• Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Aaron Donald.....lots of talking heads this weekend calling him the best defensive player, ever. Now....that is a complete stretch, right now, but after watching him play this year....dang, he is a problem for OCs. A big problem. I have the 2014 Chrome, but will the 2014 Prizm, especially with their popularity on the basketball side, come into consideration? Guy is a first ballot HOFer right now, if he doesn't play another down. And I am no Rams fan.

• Options

This could change, but historically once PSA registry picks a card, that card carries through to most other sets (exceptions I see most are between the All-time and All-Pro sets). Since Aaron Donald has won 3 DPOY (with likely his best year this year), the Topps Chrome card is in that set. Because I am not sure where PSA is going, I am currently grading both. To date, no card has changed from the future to the actual HOF RC sets. Once it appears on the future set, it will be set forever. We did add a 2nd card for 1951, but no other changes.

• Options

@Greedoguy said:
    Aaron Donald.....lots of talking heads this weekend calling him the best defensive player, ever. Now....that is a complete stretch, right now, but after watching him play this year....dang, he is a problem for OCs. A big problem. I have the 2014 Chrome, but will the 2014 Prizm, especially with their popularity on the basketball side, come into consideration? Guy is a first ballot HOFer right now, if he doesn't play another down. And I am no Rams fan.

If he wins his fourth DPOY, and/or picks up a ring, there could be a compelling argument. Agree with above post on the Topps Chrome card. For the sake of conversation (and to talk about anything not related to the Bills/Chiefs game), who would you put as your top three all-time defensive players?

LT
    Reggie White
    Butkus

• Options
    edited January 24, 2022 2:49PM

Unfortunately, I did not get to see any of the 40s and 50s guys....Donald was being compared to Bill George...I guess my 3 would be:

Reggie White
    Bruce Smith
    Mike Singeltary

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

LT, white and the third one is tough. Maybe Donald. I want to say Deion, because his big play ability could flip the script of any game, but he wasn’t a complete enough player to make the list. Who would you guys have as the top DB of the past 40 years? Maybe Rod Woodson? Maybe that’s crazy but he’s the first name that came to mind.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

I thought about Sanders too for the reasons you described. My memories only go back to probably the early 80's, so I'm biased toward guys like Darrell Green, Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson.

• Options

@sufferingbillsfan said:
    I thought about Sanders too for the reasons you described. My memories only go back to probably the early 80's, so I'm biased toward guys like Darrell Green, Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson.

Mine too.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know that I'd put him in the top 3, but Ed Reed sure was fun to watch. He was a threat to score every time he got his hands on the ball...even if it was 108 yards away from the end zone!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

At this point in his career Aaron Donald is unblockable and has been for multiple years. I've only seen two players like that in my lifetime: LT and Reggie White (I never saw Deacon Jones play much and Joe Greene was not the same after the injuries to his knees). The discussion probably needs to be narrowed to lineman. It is impossible to compare DBs and hard to compare LBs to the lineman double teamed on every play. The NFL will throw away from the great DBs and LBs. Donald is great, The best in the league. Sorry TJ, but he deserves it again this year, maybe his best! With the people they have put around him, his production will only increase.

• Options

@BillsGridironGreats said:
    At this point in his career Aaron Donald is unblockable and has been for multiple years. I've only seen two players like that in my lifetime: LT and Reggie White (I never saw Deacon Jones play much and Joe Greene was not the same after the injuries to his knees). The discussion probably needs to be narrowed to lineman. It is impossible to compare DBs and hard to compare LBs to the lineman double teamed on every play. The NFL will throw away from the great DBs and LBs. Donald is great, The best in the league. Sorry TJ, but he deserves it again this year, maybe his best! With the people they have put around him, his production will only increase.

That was my 3 from my lifetime as well: LT, white and Donald.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

And for his position, Donald seems woefully undersized. 6'1 and 280. That's nearly running back size in the league now. But his quickness is ridiculous and he doesn't even try with that. Super fun to watch....I'd hate to have to account for him every single play. What a nightmare.

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    LT, white and the third one is tough. Maybe Donald. I want to say Deion, because his big play ability could flip the script of any game, but he wasn’t a complete enough player to make the list. Who would you guys have as the top DB of the past 40 years? Maybe Rod Woodson? Maybe that’s crazy but he’s the first name that came to mind.

Stretch it to 45 years and I'll go with Mel Blount. I am , like others, influenced by who I saw play and when.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bob Lilly the greatest defensive tackle ever.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

Agreed. I was scrolling through this thread and waiting for Lilly to come up. #9 on the Sporting News top 100 players (at any position) of the 20th century, 75th and 100th All-time team, 1960's and 1970's all decade, etc. "The unblockable, unstoppable, force of the Doomsday defense" per NFL films.

• Options

One reason it is hard to compare is that up until the 1970's, offensive lineman were greatly limited on how they could block pass rushers. Get on YouTube and watch the Vikings pass rushers from that era. Quarterbacks were running for their lives.

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@BillsGridironGreats said:
    This could change, but historically once PSA registry picks a card, that card carries through to most other sets (exceptions I see most are between the All-time and All-Pro sets). Since Aaron Donald has won 3 DPOY (with likely his best year this year), the Topps Chrome card is in that set. Because I am not sure where PSA is going, I am currently grading both. To date, no card has changed from the future to the actual HOF RC sets. Once it appears on the future set, it will be set forever. We did add a 2nd card for 1951, but no other changes.

I have messaged PSA registry reps about this and they said the card chosen for the All Pro/Pro Bowl set will be the one used going forward. That could always change but that has been their response for a couple years now.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

Mean Joe Greene. Lilly is in the running though.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

Where is JasP24?? Usually, there has been some sort of leak, by now. This is worse than waiting to open presents.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

That's right.
    jason you generally open pandera's box

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

JP's obviously very well connected with the HOF vote, but I'm not sure even he knows he got in. The HOF has done an amazing job at keeping this under wraps for the second year in a row. I've checked Twitter a whole bunch of times over the past 3 weeks and there's been nothing close to a leak. Hopefully they'll go back to the normal voting process next year when the new class is announced the same day it's voted on. Based on everything I've read (which is a lot), here's my guess at the 5 modern inductees:

Boselli
    Butler
    Hester
    Holt
    Seymour

Ware, Z. Thomas and Jared Allen would be my top 3 choices to replace any of the above. I would say that Young, Willis, Barber and (sadly, because I was pulling for him) Mills have the slimmest chances. That leaves Willie Anderson (who I would actually prefer over Boselli, though he seems highly unlikely to leapfrog him), Wayne and Andre Johnson. Holt, Wayne and AJ are all so close that it should come down to who's been waiting the longest, which is why I went with Holt.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

For those of you who may have missed this (as it really hasn't garnered much attention), the new football HOF prez is seriously considering expanding the number of seniors who can get inducted every year:

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/jim-porter-hall-senior-class

This is something that's sorely needed, so I'm really hoping that it happens. I would not be shocked if we have 3 new senior inductees going forward - at least for a while. Fingers crossed!

• Options

Added a Rickey Jackson to my humble set this week. :)

• Options

Thanks for sending the SI article, I was not aware of that. I’d be 100% in favor of increasing the number of senior candidates, there’s so many older players who will never get in simply because they played so long ago.

• Options

The first leak is in - Jared Allen is out. That might bode well for Ware.

• Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    The first leak is in - Jared Allen is out. That might bode well for Ware.

Wow - who else is surprised by the modern choices?!

Boselli
    Butler
    Mills
    Seymour
    Young

• Options
    envoy982envoy982 Posts: 368 ✭✭✭

I am!

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Everyone!

• Options

Raise your hand if you had Sam Mills AND Bryant Young going in. Waiting...waiting...waiting. Lol. Seriously, there wasn't a player in this group that doesn't being, so I'm happy for all of the inductees - especially Mills on his last shot.

• Options

Finally!!!

• Options

Is his (Mills) card going to be 85 USFL? I know at one point it was 88 Topps as I recall.

• Options

I believe it should be the 85 USFL like the 84 Kelly, Young and White but who knows anymore. I was wondering about Young too. SP?

• Options

@envoy982 said:
    Is his (Mills) card going to be 85 USFL? I know at one point it was 88 Topps as I recall.

If it is not the 1985 USFL, I may kill all my registries. It would be typical though for the Registry to ignore it even though it is used for Steve Young, Jim Kelly and Reggie White

• Options

I just got back into the HOF set after 10+ years away. I know the future HOF set he was 88 Topps when I left but I don’t think he’s even in the set now is he?

• Options

I sure hope it's '85 Topps USFL for Mills. They need to be consistent with the Young, White and Kelly cards.

• Options

2 out of 5 on the modern guys for me. Seymour and Boselli. Any first ballot guys next year?
    Dwight Freeney, Darrelle Rivas, James Harrison, Joe Thomas.

• Options

@sufferingbillsfan said:
    2 out of 5 on the modern guys for me. Seymour and Boselli. Any first ballot guys next year?
    Dwight Freeney, Darrelle Rivas, James Harrison, Joe Thomas.

I think Joe Thomas is a lock, which is bad news for Willie Anderson. I thought Revis was a first-ballot lock at one time. Now I'm not so sure. Freeney will get in, but not on the first ballot. I'm not so sure Harrison makes it at all, but definitely not first ballot.

• Options

I liked the class. They took the opportunity as there were no automatic 1st ballot guys and cleaned up the list!

Next year - automatics - Joe Thomas

• Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    Raise your hand if you had Sam Mills AND Bryant Young going in. Waiting...waiting...waiting. Lol. Seriously, there wasn't a player in this group that doesn't being, so I'm happy for all of the inductees - especially Mills on his last shot.

Not to say anyone wasn't deserving but after passing them over for years, it was a huge surprise to me that all 4 of the defensive players somehow beat out Ware who I thought was a shoe in.

• Options

I was as surprised as all of you but I’m happy for the guys who got in, they’re all certainly deserving.
    So what’s the rookie card for Bryant Young, the 94 SP?

• Options

@Doc1962 said:
    I was as surprised as all of you but I’m happy for the guys who got in, they’re all certainly deserving.
    So what’s the rookie card for Bryant Young, the 94 SP?

Yes.

• Options

Based on the All-pro/All-time/Future HOF sets - they should be
    1985 Topps USFL Sam Mills #19
    1990 AP Leroy Butler #10
    1994 SP BRYANT YOUNG #6
    1995 SP Tony Boselli #147
    2001 Topps Chrome Richard Seymour #282

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@fuj said:

@shagrotn77 said:

Not to say anyone wasn't deserving but after passing them over for years, it was a huge surprise to me that all 4 of the defensive players somehow beat out Ware who I thought was a shoe in.

I honestly don't know why Ware was bypassed except to clean up the back log of candidates. He accomplished nearly everything he could on the field and was only lacking a DPOY award.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

@dfr52 said:

@fuj said:

@shagrotn77 said:

I honestly don't know why Ware was bypassed except to clean up the back log of candidates. He accomplished nearly everything he could on the field and was only lacking a DPOY award.

I think you answered your own question. I do believe Ware will get in next year.

I gotta say, Bryant Young was a real head scratcher for me. Just 4 Pro Bowls and 1 AP. 89.5 sacks and only twice in double digits. Those aren't HOF credentials to me.

• Options

I agree. 89 sacks isn’t bad for a DT but still thought he was a fringe guy. His addition to the HOF opens the door for a few other DT’s or NT’s.Still not sure why Kevin Williams didn’t get more recognition. Much better career than Young IMO.

• Options

I thought it was a really weak class, including vermeil in that. Young was the weakest pick of the 5 imo. Ware deserved that spot and joe Thomas is a lock next year.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    I thought it was a really weak class, including vermeil in that. Young was the weakest pick of the 5 imo. Ware deserved that spot and joe Thomas is a lock next year.

I'm with ya, Dan. This was pretty much a clear the backlog year for the HOF. I honestly wonder if that was a topic of discussion during the voting process. I think Ware and Thomas are locks for 2 spots next year. Speaking of backlogs, one still exists at WR, so I would expect Holt or Wayne to get the third spot. I think Hester, Revis, Z. Thomas, Willis and Allen are all good candidates for spots 4 and 5. I can't wait to see how the voting for the seniors is going to play out!

• Options

So now that Matthew Stafford has a Super Bowl win and already owns 50,000 passing yards, does that put him in the conversation for a spot if the HOF??

• Options

I think he has been in the conversation but I’d say that this season definitely gives him a much better shot.

• Options
    lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭

Stafford: 13 years in the NFL, 1 Pro Bowl, 0 All-Pros. That doesn't scream HOF to me.