Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

That is true. He will need to have the accumulation of career stats to have a chance. Have to keep in mind that he played for a notoriously bad franchise before this season. I’m sure that has helped keep him from other accolades.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah stuck on a horrible team.
    Bur he has been a numbers accumulator in a pass friendly era.
    Never been a top 5 QB ever in any year IMHO.

He wasn't the big factor the Rams won.

No HOF

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Winning the Super Bowl definitely put Stafford in contention for the HOF, but he'll need a strong finish to his career to stay there. If he wins another Super Bowl, the odds will go way up.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

@shagrotn77 said:
    Winning the Super Bowl definitely put Stafford in contention for the HOF, but he'll need a strong finish to his career to stay there. If he wins another Super Bowl, the odds will go way up.

I agree, good QB mostly on bad teams. Strong finish to career with another SB win and he can get in but he's not there yet.

• Options
    BillsGridironGreatsBillsGridironGreats Posts: 717 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 10:49AM

Personally I'd put him ahead of Eli now. Rothlisberger ahead of Eli too!

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2022 9:31PM

Hey all, just thought I'd say hi. I was on other boards a few years back. Got tired of the drama. But this board seems a bit more collegial and since I'm making the push to finish my Hall of Fame Rookie Players set, I figured I'd jump back in.

I'm #19 on the list right now. 94.33% finished (with no hope of ever getting a Nagurski to get to 100% - Ha).

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:
    Hey all, just thought I'd say hi. I was on other boards a few years back. Got tired of the drama. But this board seems a bit more collegiate and since I'm making the push to finish my Hall of Fame Rookie Players set, I figured I'd jump back in.

I'm #19 on the list right now. 94.33% finished (with no hope of ever getting a Nagurski to get to 100% - Ha).

I’m in a similar boat, in a sense. I collect the Patriots pro HOF and team HOF registries and I’ll never own the Brady.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Me for those both.
    Add Brees, Mahomes, P Manning, and about 10 others.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Anyone know when the new enshrinees get added to the set list?

• Options

I requested them as did a couple others I'm sure. It will be a while. I am still waiting on last year's honors to get added.

• Options

Finally got everything in my NFL HOF Rookie set photographed front/back and uploaded to the set registry. It almost took as long as it has to collect the set! :D

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/football/hall-fame-sets/pro-football-hall-fame-rookie-players/imagegallery/359016

• Options

Although a final decision won’t be made until April at the earliest, it’s looking like the senior nominees will only increase to 2 per year. This is pretty disappointing as I don’t think it will do much to clear the backlog, especially since new players join the senior pool pretty much every year. Heck, it was only a few years ago when 2 seniors were going in, and it didn’t do much to address the logjam then. I was really hoping for 3 senior nominees.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

I agree but at least it’s better than what it is currently. In your eyes, who are the top 10 not in? I’d like to see what everyone’s opinion is.
    Without to much thought, this is mine: (with such a backlog, this list was not easy)
    Al Wistert
    Del Shofner
    Maxie Baughan
    Jim Tyrer
    Chuck Howley
    Randy Gradishar
    Dave Grayson
    Lemar Parish
    Karl Mecklenburg
    Tom Sestak

I’d also love to see more special teamers get in. It was sad to see Steve Tasker fall to the black hole of senior candidates. I’d like to see these get in too:
    Don Chandler
    Jim Bakken
    Steve Tasker
    Jerrell Wilson
    Nick Lowery
    Sean Landeta
    Billy (White Shoes) Johnson
    Abe Woodson
    Rick Upchurch
    Devin Hester
    Josh Cribbs
    Brain Mitchell
    I know the last 3 are still modern candidates but I wanted to add them anyway.

• Options

Couldn't narrow to just 10, so my top 13 (not necessarily in order) are:

W. Wistert
    K. Anderson
    K. Riley
    C. Howley
    M. Baughan
    T. Nobis
    R. Gradishar
    D. Shofner
    J. Klecko
    E. Meador
    L.C. Greenwood
    A. Russell
    S. Tasker

Tyrer has the credentials, but he'll never make it based on his history.

• Options

I see where you are coming from and kind of agree but with what we now know about head injuries and what it does to a person. One could argue that football/NFL is also partially to blame for the tragedy. I’m not sure where his family stands on the issue but I could see him getting in. We’ve seen what head injuries have done to those in high contact positions (Junior Seau). Everyone on your list belongs in the Hall.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2022 9:49AM

In my opinion, Harvey Martin is a player that should be in any list that includes LC Greenwood for consideration. Their career honors are very close, but Martin was the better pass rusher throughout his career having made 114 sacks to Greenwood's 73-1/2. Both are 1970's All-Decade team members (second team DE's). Greenwood went to 6 Pro Bowls, 2x First Team All-Pro. Martin went to 4 Pro Bowls, 1x First Team All-Pro, 3x Second Team All-Pro. Both had big performances in Super Bowls, Greenwood with 4 sacks of Staubach and Martin with a co-Super Bowl MVP. Martin has an NFL Defensive Player of the Year award to his credit as well. Team success favors Greenwood with 4 Super Bowl wins vs. Martin with 3 Super Bowl appearances and 1 victory.

Steve

• Options

I’d be fine with both of them as well. I am curious to see everyone else’s top ten list. I know they will all look different but I’d like to see which players are on most lists.

• Options

@shawther said:

I see where you are coming from and kind of agree but with what we now know about head injuries and what it does to a person. One could argue that football/NFL is also partially to blame for the tragedy. I’m not sure where his family stands on the issue but I could see him getting in. We’ve seen what head injuries have done to those in high contact positions (Junior Seau). Everyone on your list belongs in the Hall.

I definitely thought about that, but I think the voters will just continue to go the safe route and ignore him. The opportunity for a huge black eye far outweighs the desire to appease one player's family IMO.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    Couldn't narrow to just 10, so my top 13 (not necessarily in order) are:

W. Wistert
    K. Anderson
    K. Riley
    C. Howley
    M. Baughan
    T. Nobis
    R. Gradishar
    D. Shofner
    J. Klecko
    E. Meador
    L.C. Greenwood
    A. Russell
    S. Tasker

What a backlog of LBs. And I agree on anderson.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

I always thought Clay Matthews Jr. had a shot to get in but apparently not to be.

• Options

A few more names to consider:

Roger Craig
    Reggie Roby
    Cornelius Bennett

Totally agree about:
    Tommy Nobis
    Ken Riley
    LC Greenwood
    As well as a several others.

• Options

Agree on Nobis and Roger Craig.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

Here's a few more that deserve more consideration.
    Lester Hayes
    Otis Taylor
    Sterling Sharpe
    Jim Marshall

Card collecting is remembering the good old days.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2022 8:06AM

So the 1988 Topps Sam Mills card got added to the set, which should not be the case. It’s the Pro Football HOF, not the NFL HOF. That’s why the Young, White and Kelly ‘84 USFL cards are in the set. To add the ‘88 Mills would be inconsistent. I’m going to contact the Set Registry crew.

• Options

Thankfully, already corrected!

• Options

The HOF will allow up to 3 senior players to be elected for the next 3 years. About time!

https://www.profootballhof.com/news/hall-of-fame-s-board-of-trustees-approves-changes-to-selection-process-bylaws/

• Options
    edited April 21, 2022 5:28PM

Food for thought. If it's the Football HOF and not just the NFL HOF what other leagues would be considered?
    1985 USFL Doug Flutie is pricey and up there with other hofers.
    Heisman winner. 6X CFL MVP and 3X Grey cup winner and the Grey cup MVP as well. Considered the CFL greatest player.
    Back in NFL again and was Pro Bowl and comeback player of the year. College and Canadian HOF.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Food for thought. If it's the Football HOF and not just the NFL HOF what other leagues would be considered?
    1985 USFL Doug Flutie is pricey and up there with other hofers.
    Heisman winner. 6X CFL MVP and 3X Grey cup winner and the Grey cup MVP as well. Considered the CFL greatest player.
    Back in NFL again and was Pro Bowl and comeback player of the year. College and Canadian HOF.

You could certainly make a case for Flutie, Jay, but he's never getting in. Just didn't do enough in the big boys league.

• Options

I like it! Gradishar, Ken Riley, Wistert and Kilroy as contributor. Fun to throw names out there.😉

• Options

Andy
    Not promoting Flutie for the hall at all.
    Just a higher question. What other leagues can a player be considered a HOF?
    If not the CFL Then we can rule out Cookie Gikchrist who was a better RB then some in the HOF. I wouldn't think twice about putting him in over a Frank Gore.
    We have HK and BK players getting into the hall who played in leagues inferior to the NBA or NHL who had minimal impact in the big boys leagues.

BTW it great the will add 3 slots to the VC.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭

Just a higher question. What other leagues can a player be considered a HOF?

AFL, AAFC

• Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭

Gentlemen, any advice please, what are some good sites to buy/sell cards? I’m so sick of feebay, it’s ridiculous. Thanks

• Options

You might try myslabs

you can buy and sell there. It doesn't have nowhere the traffic as ebay. However they are very seller friendly and total cost to sell is about 5%. I hear facebook groups are doing ok.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Good to know, thank you!

• Options
    atd6atd6 Posts: 6

Try 4sharpcorners.com as well.

• Options
    PinkcatfishPinkcatfish Posts: 377 ✭✭

Pretty dead around here -but interesting list of Veterans out last week that will be cut down to 12 July 27 I think. Excited to see Lester Hayes on the list. Also cool to see Mark Clayton come out of nowhere. Hope both make it

• Options

How many make it from both lists? Is it 3 senior players and 1 contributor? I’d like to see Kilroy make it for the contributor. If it’s 3 from the senior list, then I’ like to see 1 or 2 of these LB’s; Gradishar, Howley or Baughan. And Meador or Riley. I think most on the list are deserving. I was glad to see Sharpe on there. I didn’t realize how dominant he was in his short career.

• Options

That is correct 3 senior per year for the next 3 years.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/hall-increases-senior-finalists

• Options

Now that we all know the Senior Finalists, any guesses on who gets the nod? I’d really like to see Kuechenberg finally get in, after all, it’s the 50th anniversary of the Fins perfect season! Wouldn’t mind seeing Sharpe also since I’m a Packer fan.

• Options
    lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭

I equate Sharpe with Terrell Davis and Gale Sayers. Sharpe played Hall of Fame level football until a career-ending injury. He should be in the Hall of Fame.

• Options

I would’ve loved seeing what he could’ve done with Favre at QB. Too bad his career was so short. I think most of these players are deserving. Not all, but most. I like Gradishar, Howley, and Riley. Could see Baughan for one of the other 2 LB’s. I really have no idea though.

• Options

Best of luck to Chuck Howley during the presentations and voting tomorrow!

• Options

I was under the impression that the voting is today. I’m not sure when it becomes public though.

• Options

@shawther said:
    I was under the impression that the voting is today. I’m not sure when it becomes public though.

Maybe my post was poorly worded. I believe you're right. I heard the announcement was tomorrow at 1PM.

• Options
    edited August 16, 2022 7:44PM

First reported leak is that Gradishar did not make it.

• Options
    edited August 17, 2022 4:46AM

Awesome Howley card.
    Well there goes my first candidate. Just wondering if they didn't want to many LB and Nobis and Baughan got the votes.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Hearing Riley, Howley and Klecko, but this is unconfirmed, so don't shoot the messenger if I'm wrong 😀.

• Options

If you are looking for PSA graded Riley, Klecko or Howley - check out my Buy, Sell Trade Forum post

• Options

Not sure who requested them, didn't see any voting, but there are lots of new additions to the Future HOF RC - modern set.