Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options

HOF members we lost in 2020.

Don Shula
    Gayle Sayers
    Paul Hornung
    Chris Coleman
    Willie Davis
    Kevin Greene

Thank you for them memories gentlemen.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

Herb Adderley, as well.

Difficult year for fans of the Lombardi era Packers.

• Options
    rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Question regarding 1961 Rookie Cards (Jim Otto, Don Maynard, Johnny Robinson).

Just wondering why the Fleer cards were chosen for the registry. I presume it may be because Fleer had the licensing for that year, and was able to show the team logos?

Has there been any thought to adding the 1961 Topps versions as an alternative? Just asking as the 1961 Topps Jim Otto is one of my all time favorite football cards, and I would much rather acquire that one than the Fleer. Similar picture used for the 1961 Fleer, I just like the Topps version so much better with the horizontal landscape view.

My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Generally the card that is the most valuable is chosen.
    Back when these were chosen he set participants would vote for the one.

In Otto's RC I love both versions !!!

Feel free to ask PSA for a choice of the two. Can't hurt

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

And then there were 15:
    Just announced today finalist for the 2021 HOF class.
    Who do you think what players get into the HOF.
    1-Peyton Manning (QB)
    2-Charles Woodson (CB)
    3-Calvin Johnson (WR)
    4-Jared Allen (DE)
    5-Ronde Barber (CB)
    6-Tony Boselli (OT)
    7-LeRoy Butler (S)
    8-Alan Faneca (G)
    9-Torry Holt (WR)
    10-John Lynch (S)
    11-Clay Matthews Jr. (LB)
    12-Sam Mills (LB)
    13-Richard Seymour (DT)
    14-Zach Thomas (LB)
    15-Reggie Wayne (WR)

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

Locks: manning and Woodson

I’d like to see: Faneca and Seymour

Not deserving IMO: barber and Matthews

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

My best guesses...

Peyton Manning- Lock
    Charles Woodson- Lock
    Alan Faneca- has made the cut to 10, along with Boselli, the previous 3 votes...Expect one this year, one next
    John Lynch- Made the final 10 twice, then dropped to only making the top 15 twice, returned to top 10 last year
    Reggie Wayne-Made top 15 first year eligible..Could split votes with Megatron, but I will guess they put him in with Peyton

Richard Seymour and Zach Thomas were the others to make the cut to 10 last year...Either could replace Lynch and/or Wayne but Lynch been waiting the longest of the group.

Clay Matthews first time as a finalist, last year of eligibility. We recently had this happen with Everson Walls and it did not result in HOF induction. Long shot, but certainly possible.

Wouldn't put any money on the of the other 5 getting in this go round..I dont see a path for Allen, Holt, Butler, Mills or Barber in 2021...

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any opinions on Mike Evans of the Bucs and his HOF outlook/chances?

• Options

@hyperchipper09 said:

I was just wondering this a couple of days ago.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

IMO I like Evans, but he has some work to do to get in the HOF. Only played 6 seasons - 3 pro bowls. A lot of big receiving numbers these days.

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@BillsGridironGreats said:
    IMO I like Evans, but he has some work to do to get in the HOF. Only played 6 seasons - 3 pro bowls. A lot of big receiving numbers these days.

I agree, he is doing well but a ways to go- especially in today's pass happy NFL.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

He’s played 7 seasons, not 6, and every one has been a 1,000 yard season. But I do agree that it’s hard to differentiate among the best receivers in today’s NFL

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

Mike Evans is on a HOF trajectory for sure, and I personally am a big fan, but I'm not ready to call him a HOFer just yet.

On a different note, the All-Pro selections were announced today and the one thing that stuck out to me is that I think Bobby Wagner cemented his place in Canton with his 6th selection. There weren't really any other selections that I thought put a player over the top in terms of HOF candidacy.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

Is it time to consider David Bakhtiari a future HOFer? 5 All Pros and 3 Pro Bowls.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

@jradke4 said:
    Is it time to consider David Bakhtiari a future HOFer? 5 All Pros and 3 Pro Bowls.

Needs more as an OT...That being said, I only count 2 1st team All-Pro selections for him. 2018 and 2020. What year was his 3rd?

I tend to use All-Pro votes as a better indicator. A guy could be listed as a "2nd team" All-Pro with just ONE All-Pro vote if the top guy got 49..Or in cases like TE this year, Kelce got all 50 votes, there is no 2nd team All-Pro TE...

Career All-Pro votes so far- David Bakhtiari, Green Bay, 68

Compare to LOCK HOF OT Joe Thomas retired with 177 All-Pro votes.

Trajectory is a great descriptor to use...If his path stays the same, then yes...But he needs to get much further down the road..If his career ended today, or if he became an average to below average OT moving forward would he be a HOFer? No

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Aaron Donald. I think it might have been his 6th 1st team All Pro. 2x DPOY, 7 pro bowls. If he can get over 120 games, he may be a lock, too.

• Options

@Greedoguy said:
    Aaron Donald. I think it might have been his 6th 1st team All Pro. 2x DPOY, 7 pro bowls. If he can get over 120 games, he may be a lock, too.

IMO he’s already a lock.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@Greedoguy said:

IMO he’s already a lock.

Ditto.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@DBesse27 said:

@hyperchipper09 said:

I was just wondering this a couple of days ago.

Agree with others on Evans. Right now I put him in the Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin category. I thing Andre Johnson and Antonio Brown are more deserving for consideration at this point.

• Options

Yeah, , Donald is a lock if he never plays another game...

Andre Johnson is already on the Future HOF set...Should be 3rd or 4th in the WR line behind Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne, and maybe Torry Holt over the next 5-6 classes depending on what happens with Larry Fitzgerald this offseason.

Antonio Brown needs a ton of repair to his legacy to get back in HOF discussion...

• Options

@JasP24 said:
    Yeah, , Donald is a lock if he never plays another game...

Andre Johnson is already on the Future HOF set...Should be 3rd or 4th in the WR line behind Calvin Johnson, Reggie Wayne, and maybe Torry Holt over the next 5-6 classes depending on what happens with Larry Fitzgerald this offseason.

Antonio Brown needs a ton of repair to his legacy to get back in HOF discussion...

Agree with every word of this.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@Greedoguy said:

Games Played another very good barometer for measuring HOF odds...Over the past 20 modern classes (2001-2020), 86 players have been elected to the HOF.. Here are the raw numbers for guys with less than 160 games played--

99 games or less- 1 (Terrell Davis)
    119 or less games- 2 (Lynn Swann + named above)
    139 or less games- 3 (Kurt Warner + named above)
    159 or less games- 13 (Grimm, Dean, Casper, James, Tippett, Barry, Hampton, Polomalu, Munchak, Irvin+ the 3 named above)

160 seems to be the clear line in which games played no longer is used as a negative qualifier for modern players...
    140 seems to be the line in which guys can get in if they were either dominant (first ballot types) or who can get in by waiting quite a few years
    139 or less, player needed to be dominant (first ballot trajectory) but still have to wait a few years due to the low number of games...Also must have Super Bowl MVP awards on the resume.

This is as good of a guideline for modern candidates as you'll find...Something to keep in mind when debating WHEN to add players to the Future HOF Modern set. We have been able to determine over the years that cards/players aren't going to be removed from the set even if added too soon. This runs the risk of invalidating what the set is supposed to be if you end up with a bunch of players listed who will likely end up NOT being elected as a modern candidate.

• Options

Current Players on the Future HOF Modern set who fall into the 159 or less category through end of 2020 season--

Tony Boselli 91
    Patrick Willis 112
    Luke Kuechly 118
    J.J. Watt 128
    Rob Gronkowski 131
    Calvin Johnson 135
    Von Miller 135
    Darrelle Revis 145
    Patrick Peterson 154

• Options

@JasP24 said:
    Current Players on the Future HOF Modern set who fall into the 159 or less category through end of 2020 season--

Tony Boselli 91
    Patrick Willis 112
    Luke Kuechly 118
    J.J. Watt 128
    Rob Gronkowski 131
    Calvin Johnson 135
    Von Miller 135
    Darrelle Revis 145
    Patrick Peterson 154

That’s why I’ve always advocated against Boselli.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    edited January 10, 2021 2:07PM

@DBesse27 said:

@JasP24 said:

Tony Boselli 91
    Patrick Willis 112
    Luke Kuechly 118
    J.J. Watt 128
    Rob Gronkowski 131
    Calvin Johnson 135
    Von Miller 135
    Darrelle Revis 145
    Patrick Peterson 154

That’s why I’ve always advocated against Boselli.

Boselli was only recently added to the Future HOF set...From Feb, 2017-----
    We received a request to add 4 players to the Football Future HOF Rookie Players – Modern set. In consideration to all registrants in this category, we would like to poll you on this request. Please respond to your yes or no vote for each player.

TONY BOSELLI - 1995 SP #147

He's made the cut to final 10 the past 4 years, so he's going to get in..This is an example of WAITING until a player not only was a HOF Finalist, but made the cut to the final 10 before requesting his addition to the set....This is the better way of handling players with low game totals....

Once Boselli gets in it will add a new wrinkle for players who can get in with less than 140 games..Will help guys like Calvin Johnson, Kuechly, Watt, Willis, etc. get closer to election even if then don't get to 140 games...

• Options

I should be clear, I don’t collect the “future” set. I was referring to his HOF candidacy. While I have accepted that he’ll get in eventually, I don’t think he deserves it.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    I should be clear, I don’t collect the “future” set. I was referring to his HOF candidacy. While I have accepted that he’ll get in eventually, I don’t think he deserves it.

Agree, and I am a Jaguars season ticket holder...With Kenny Easley and Terrell Davis going in recent years, I think Boselli fits with that group (1st team all-Decade with under 100 games). I'm not a fan of the HOF lowering standards, but once they do, I think its fair to then include comparable players. I would have preferred the voters put in specific measurable milestones before even being eligible (10,000 yard rushing for an RB for example) but I understand why they won't do that...Having folks like us discussing the ins and outs, agrees/disagrees keeps the HOF relevant.

• Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

So are we thinking Chrome for Aaron Donald or Prizm? I would like to think Chrome would be the obvious choice, but ppl seem to like Prizm...so.

• Options

@jay0791 said:
    I think chrome is already chosen in other sets
    I would like to keep all cards the same

Agreed, I think Topps Chrome through 2015 and Prizm beginning 2016 seems to be the logical cutoff.

• Options

FYI....

The 48 Hall voters will meet virtually on Tuesday, January 19, to vote on the class.

• Options

@JasP24 said:
    FYI....

The 48 Hall voters will meet virtually on Tuesday, January 19, to vote on the class.

When will the inductees be announced? This weekend?

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@JasP24 said:
    FYI....

When will the inductees be announced? This weekend?

Official announcement Feb. 6th...

But leaks will trickle out well before that date...lol

• Options

I saw one of the voters tweet that the meeting was over and that the voters don’t know who got in. They would have to at least know the top 10, but I’m wondering now if there will be any of the traditional leaks.

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    I saw one of the voters tweet that the meeting was over and that the voters don’t know who got in. They would have to at least know the top 10, but I’m wondering now if there will be any of the traditional leaks.

Give it 48 hours and the 10 will be known...Supposedly the voters weren't given a 5. If true then top 5 didn't get a yes/no 80% vote...Which has become nothing more than a symbolic rubber stamp anyway...

• Options
  • Options

No leaks - that is a first!

• Options

I'm sure Jason is working the pry bars !!
    For me the excitement of all the awards and HOF exceeds the super bowl.

Crossing fingers for the Bills.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@BillsGridironGreats said:
    No leaks - that is a first!

None of the voters know the final 5..Only the final 10..Also a first!

• Options

The HOF managed to keep the Centennial vote under wraps, so they may have the same success here. That's fine. Like Jay said, I look forward to the day before the Super Bowl more than the actual game!

• Options

First leak (that I'm aware of): Leroy Butler did not make it.

• Options
    edited February 2, 2021 7:28PM

@shagrotn77 said:
    First leak (that I'm aware of): Leroy Butler did not make it.

Hopefully Lynch gets in this year finally and that will open Butler's opportunity up for his last 5 years as a modern candidate.

• Options

Question for the group:

If a card is on the "Future HOF" set, and that player get inducted, is the card automatically transferred to the HOF set or is there another vote among members.

Im specifically thinking about the SP authentic Brady. Thanks

• Options

That card has been automatically transferred in the past.

• Options

This no leeks stuff has got to stop. I am going with Brady for the SB. The bucs defesne is just to good and Brady just doesn't have a bad game when it matters. Gronk has been a no factor all season long and will rise up to this occasion.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    This no leeks stuff has got to stop.

Somebody is going vegetarian! ;)

Yaz Master Set

• Options

jay0791 Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭February 2, 2021 7:03AM
    This no leeks stuff has got to stop. I am going with Brady for the SB. The bucs defesne is just to good and Brady just doesn't have a bad game when it matters. Gronk has been a no factor all season long and will rise up to this occasion.

I like their defense too, but they have to figure out Tyreek Hill - can't have him getting 200 yards in a half again and not sure Devin White played in the first game. Have several 2017 Prizm Mahomes PSA 9/10 and and unopened box of Prizm that will shoot up even more if Chiefs win. Just hope it is a good game!

• Options

Devin has emerged as one big beast hasn't he?
    I noticed him this year as he never ever stops the pursuit.
    The Bucs need to have a belicheck style game plan for him. Just wallop him on the line of scrimmage
    and make sure Kelce is covered closely as well.
    Easier said then done.
    JPP has had a resurgence as well. He can be a show stopper. The Bucs ends have to contain Mahome.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Dan

Jeopardy doesn't take off for speeling mistakes

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Dan

Jeopardy doesn't take off for speeling mistakes

I hope you know it was all in good fun.

4 days til the big announcement!

Yaz Master Set