Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Back to FB stuff

Now that Whitten is retired...is he a HOFer?????

Absolutely.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

@TmbrWolf22 said:
    I guess that answers that question for me. I didnt know that the pedigree would stay. But that answer leads me to the question.......WHY? Unless the slab was damaged somehow, whats the point in doing that?

The newer holder is seen as an easier sell for high $ cards because there’s less worry about fraud.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Back to FB stuff

It’s not official just yet, Jay, but it’s a silly question (no offense :) ) Witten’s a first-ballot lock.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Speaking of tight ends.....any thoughts on Greg Olson ever making the HOF?....or can I give up my search?

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Back to FB stuff

He will certainly make the HOF, but he may not be the first ballot lock some are making him out to be.

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

@TmbrWolf22 said:
    Speaking of tight ends.....any thoughts on Greg Olson ever making the HOF?....or can I give up my search?

Olsen needs 3-5 more dominant Pro Bowl/All-Pro type years to have a shot. Probably unlikely at his current age.

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

Yeah....him being injured most all of last season didnt help much.

• Options

Being injured for most of last season did hurt Olsen’s chances, but I still think he has a better than 50% shot to get in. 2 more 1,000-yard seasons and 2,500 yards to put him over 10,000 would do it IMO.

• Options

I think for Olson, his 3 Pro Bowls and zero 1st Team All-Pro resume hurts him the most...He will need at least 3 seasons to get to 2500 yards, and not so sure he ever gets there..If he does it will be over such a long period, most will consider him an accumulator and not a dominator as far as his numbers go. I'd give Olsen a 0% chance currently, and barring additional Pro Bowl seasons moving forward, simply finishing with 10k receiving yards will only get him to the 10-20% HOF range.

Witten, Gates and Gronk are the TEs from this era with the best odds...Only 8 TEs in the HOF TOTAL in NFL history to this point, Gonzalez will make it 9 in January...So unclear how we will get 4-5 from the passing era, when the voters have shown propensity to downgrade receiving numbers on current players.

• Options

Well....I have a 9 currently of both him and Heath Miller. I will continue to search for 10s of both players ....just because they have both eluded me for so long....lol. I do appreciate the input.

• Options
    Rocketman12Rocketman12 Posts: 41 ✭✭

Is there a consensus as to what the Registry rookie card for Jason Peters would be, if he happens to make the HOF someday? He has four cards in the Beckett database with the RC designation:

2004 Bowman (6 copies currently on the PSA pop report)
    2004 Leaf Rookies and Stars (12 copies)
    2004 Leaf Rookies and Stars Longevity /999 (4 copies)
    2004 Upper Deck Reflections /1150 (4 copies)

I would lean toward Longevity because it's the lowest numbered and should be tough in top grade due to the foil front. However, plain Leaf R&S has clearly been more popular to get graded until now, and Reflections is his card of choice in the All Time Arkansas Rookies set. So, I really have no idea -- what do you guys think?

• Options

Since there are multiple colors of the Leaf R & S Longevity, personally I would like to see the card be the UD reflections (#1150 copy). The Leaf R &S and Bowman are $1 cards. the longevity and reflections are numbered and warrant consideration. The issue with Peters is that he has been a great lineman with little respect outside the players he plays with. I tried getting him added to the future HOF set a year or so ago and was unable. Will he make a comeback? Will he still be dominate if he does?

• Options
    dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

I would go with Leaf Rookie and Stars to keep the choice of products consistent.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • Options

The Leaf R&S Longevity isn't listed as a Jason Peters rookie card in the Beckett Ultimate RC Encyclopedia, which would disqualify it from consideration..The other 3 are the only 3 listed for him. Longevity must have been released later in the year/season, and hence is not considered a true rookie card.

• Options

Hi all, been trying to catch up on this thread but wanted to quickly introduce myself. I've only recently been bitten with the Vintage bug, but I've really been enjoying it. My Grandma and Wife have joined me in working on the HOF Rookie registry with the hoped my 1 year old will join us someday. We are only 4 cards in so far but it's a blast trying to decide which ones to add next. I'm not currently trying to have the highest rated set because I don't have that kind of money, just hoping to finish it someday. I look forward to talking with some of you and learning more about this registry. P.S. I'm looking for a nicely centered PSA 7 Bob Lily if anyone has a spare. Thanks.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the set
    Enjoy the set and don't worry about your place in the rankings. I know I will never be #1 but don't care.
    My one suggestion is buy nicer cards for the grade and not the "case."
    There are several guys on this registry that have a wealth of information so follow and learn

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

@jay0791 said:
    Welcome to the set
    Enjoy the set and don't worry about your place in the rankings. I know I will never be #1 but don't care.
    My one suggestion is buy nicer cards for the grade and not the "case."
    There are several guys on this registry that have a wealth of information so follow and learn

Thanks so much. Yea, I've been trying to buy the card not the grade. I think I have a pretty nicely centered Unitas for only being a 3. My biggest thing now is I'm so indecisive on which card to go after next haha. Any tips on which are more difficult to obtain? I find I'm partial to 48 Leaf so I think I'm gonna get one of those next.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Back to FB stuff

Mark Whitten no. Jason Witten absolutely

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

If we are "policing"....it's Mark Whiten.....

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options

@CSUrunandstun said:
    If we are "policing"....it's Mark Whiten.....

Yep.

• Options
    DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

It’s nearly that time of year again...senior committee nominations! Just one old timer this year. What date will the nominee be announced? And any inside information about who’s getting a strong push this year? Personally hoping for Wistert, J. Robinson, Nobis, C. Harris, Meador, or Greenwood.

• Options

I’m pulling for Johnny Robinson, who’s getting a strong push. I think Andy Russell or Ken Anderson could also take that spot.

• Options

Senior Selection is typically mid to late August.

My best guess for the 2019 selection... DT Alex Karras

• Options

@JasP24 said:

Based on a hunch, or have you been hearing his name come up?

• Options
    edited July 23, 2018 7:22AM

@shagrotn77 said:

@JasP24 said:

Based on a hunch, or have you been hearing his name come up?

Little birdies...lol

But seriously, I eliminated OL, LB, S and QB based on recent selections.. Could very well be an offensive skill player, like a RB or WR, as we havent had one since 2010..Roger Craig is new to the Senior pool, so really unsure where he will stack up with the senior committee...

Jim Marshall was very close last year, but I am chalking that up to the SB being played in Minnesota as the reason he was in the final 6. Joe Klecko was close as well, but IMO Karras stacks up very strongly to Klecko and with the Supreme Court gambling decision, I think it helps to get past the main reason Karras hasn't been inducted yet...

• Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    I’m pulling for Johnny Robinson, who’s getting a strong push. I think Andy Russell or Ken Anderson could also take that spot.

And it is Robinson

title.
  • Options

@shagrotn77 said:

Nice call on Robinson...Well deserved and way overdue. He's been close for many many years.

• Options

@JasP24 said:

@shagrotn77 said:

Nice call on Robinson...Well deserved and way overdue. He's been close for many many years.

Thanks, Jason. Kramer and Robinson were 1 and 2 on my most overlooked list a year and a day ago. The senior committee did an excellent job of correcting those oversights. I’m not sure there’s an egregious oversight left. LOTS of absolutely deserving candidates, though. I have a feeling we may see Ken Anderson as one of the 2 selections next year. Purely a hunch, though.

• Options

Anderson has been getting good support..Easily the top QB..Not sure if Stabler going in recently hurts or helps his near term odds...

Also seems like they are on a serious movement to put All-Decade guys in the past few years..Robinson the 6th player in a row who was all-Decade and they tend to lead with the accomplishment in the HOF announcements.

• Options

Jason, any idea on some of the other senior candidates who were close this year?

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

@JasP24 said:
    Anderson has been getting good support..Easily the top QB..Not sure if Stabler going in recently hurts or helps his near term odds...

Also seems like they are on a serious movement to put All-Decade guys in the past few years..Robinson the 6th player in a row who was all-Decade and they tend to lead with the accomplishment in the HOF announcements.

well at some point that might help At-water and Butler

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    Jason, any idea on some of the other senior candidates who were close this year?

I do not have the final 5 for this year yet...

• Options

@jradke4 said:

@JasP24 said:

well at some point that might help At-water and Butler

Definitely seems that way, certainly as Senior candidates...When Boselli is elected as a modern candidate, it will be an even better sign that they are placing premiums on All-Decade selections, particularly 1st Team selections.

• Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

I'm not sold on Andy Russell as a HOFer. He was a fine LB, but not as good as Howley, Jordan, Nobis who are getting no love.

• Options

im still banging the drum for Cliff Branch

• Options

me 2

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Anyone watch Falcons/Eagles last night? I was very impressed with Jason Peters level of play at 37 years old. He is a 6 time All Pro (3 1st and 3 2nd) and 9 time Pro Bowler playing in the same decade as Joe Thomas. Is he, with those accolades a HOF lock? I know this has been discussed before, but what 2004 card would be the choice? R&S?

• Options

I believe 2004 R&S would be the correct card.

• Options

Just wanted to stop in and post this. Great ex LSU Tiger!

• Options

I know this is the wrong forum....but Im wondering if anyone has a 98 Contenders Priest Holmes RC available in a 9 or 10. Im SICK of seeing my 8....and cant seem to get one to grade higher on my own.

• Options
    sufferingbillsfansufferingbillsfan Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited September 25, 2018 1:12PM

Frank Gore moved into 4th in the all-time rushing yards category. He has been fortunate to have a long career so some may call him an "accumulator", but his numbers as a a receiver are respectable as well. I don't think he ever led the league in rushing yards, so it is hard to call him dominant in his position. He also lacks a ring, though came close against the Ravens and had a good showing in that game. 5x Pro Bowler. Is his resume good enough to get into the Hall of Fame?

• Options

I think Frank Gore is a future HOFer, but not a first-ballot guy. He may actually have to wait a while, depending partly on the others players he’s eligible with.

• Options

Who is in line for possible induction at RB in the coming years out to 5 from now ??

A Peterson is still playing

Going back about a year since the Gore discussions we all had...I still say Chuck Foreman was definitely better than Gore. Yet no whisper of him ever getting HOF attention.

OK which one of you guys outbid me on the 61 J Robinson 9 PWCC auction

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Gore is a tough one. He has the yards, but not the TDs..He has the long career, but no rings, no First Team All-Pros...

Ed James still not in, but I think he gets in within the next few years. There are no other RBs who have even made the top 25 yet. Tiki Barber would be my next guy in line, but I don't see him ever getting in.

For active RBs Adrian Peterson the only possible first ballot type of guy...LeSean McCoy, the next closest behind Gore, but still very far off.

That being said, 6 RBs have been elected in the past 10 HOF classes...So if we only have 1 the next 5 years (James) that would be entirely justified.

Personally, I think if Gore can get to 100 TDs he will get in. He will still have a semi-long wait as most accumulators do. Can he get 6 TDs this season? Only had 4 last year in 290 touches. He's on pace for around 125 touches this season, so I'd say its a longshot. When it comes to adding to the Future HOF Rookies set, its guys like Adrian Peterson who should be added...Longshot players who may or may not ever get in shouldn't be included..Even though we obviously have some on there right now.

But if someone personally thinks he's going into the HOF, go buy the rookie card and see how it plays out. But it shouldnt be a card collectors of HOF rookie players should feel necessary to own at this point.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Excuse the quick and dirty math, but as 49er RBs go, I'd rather see Roger Craig enter before Gore. Gore's yardage is about 50% more but he played almost 50% more. Gore has about 20% more TDs and 20% less receptions. Roger has the titles, the 1st Team, an 80s Player of the Decade, and a 1000/1000, that I personally think changed the way the position was viewed and valued. I'm not suggesting Gore's not worthy, but he was never really dominant and Roger was, even if only for a handful of years. My .02.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

@vintagefun said:
    I'm not suggesting Gore's not worthy, but he was never really dominant and Roger was, even if only for a handful of years. My .02.

That last part hits the nail on the head for me. Roger Craig had 2 huge years (‘85 and ‘88), but 2 huge years does not a HOF career make. While I’m not one to be wowed by the stats that compilers put up, Gore’s resume is more impressive to me than RC’s. So is Shaun Alexander’s.

• Options

With the recent selection of Terrell Davis and the pending selection of Tony Boselli is seems to me the current group of voters is giving more weight to dominant short term careers v. Long term good but not great accumulators. These trends seem to change every 10 years or so. Roger Craig got close but he wasn't quite dominant enough. He has now moved to the Senior Pool. I could see the same happening to Gore. But again will depend on how the voters are viewing long term accumulators during his time as a modern candidate.

How will RBs and RB numbers be viewed 10 years from now? Will others have surpassed Gore? Will RBs with receiving numbers be held in higher regard? Hard to say.

Once Ed James goes in I don't see any other current nominees with much of a chance. If Gore and Adrian Peterson retire the same year or close to it. How far back will that push Gore? AP is going to be a first ballot guy.

• Options

Accumulator is not an accurate label for Gore's career. When I think of accumulator type career numbers Marcus Allen comes to mind (not that he is in that category because of personnel decisions that were out of his control). Gore has averaged 1021 rushing yards and 6.79 rushing yards per season over the course of 14 years. He is a unique case because he lacks career accolades and never lead the league in rushing. Just based on the combination of rushing yards and total TD's the voters will have a difficult time presenting an argument against his induction.

title.
  • Options

Gore has a worse yards per game avg. 70.8 and falling than Fred Taylor, Steven Jackson and Corey Dillion. All fellow 10,000 yard rushers. Yet like Gore they have no accolades. The only difference is that Gore has played in more games. He didn't play better than they did in those games, but due to staying healthy and in the league longer he has accumulated bigger numbers. That's the textbook definition of an accumulator.

Just as you say the voters will have a hard time arguing against Gore, they will have an equally hard time arguing for Gore's induction. Aside from big numbers due to so many games played what has he done to deserve it? Certainly wasn't a dominant player and was never considered the best or even close to the best at his position during his long career.

When it comes to Modern Candidates the argument in the HOF meeting isn't "is this guy worthy or not". That's only for the Senior and Contributer candidates. The argument is "was this guy better than that guy" in which case Gore is going to have a hard time not getting beat out by five other more dominant and deserving guys every year. When compared to other RBs of his era he simply doesn't stand out.

He will be an interesting one to watch. I do agree he probably has accumulated big enough numbers to eventually get in. But I still put his odds at less than 50%.

• Options
    edited October 11, 2018 1:19PM

When looking at the players with 100 total TD's the only HOF eligible player not inducted is S.Alexander. Looking at Alexander I believe falling short of 10,000 yards has really hurt his shot at induction. If Gore would get to 100 TD's he would be only 12 behind Alexander while posting nearly 5,000 more rushing yards.

Of the 34 players who have scored at least 90 total TD's only 5 HOF eligible players are not inducted (Alexander, Holmes, Watters, James, and Bruce). Bruce has an excellent resume but he also has benefited from rule changes that improved passing and receiving numbers. Of the players in the top ten in regards to receiving yards only 5 have been inducted to the HOF. This is in stark contrast to rushing yards where 8 out of the the top 10 players have been inducted to the HOF. My simple math says 80% of the players in the top ten of rushing yards are in the HOF (that number will jump to 90% when Peterson is eventually inducted).

Gore's yards per game average is better than modern HOF'ers: Faulk,Thomas, Allen, Harris, and Riggins. Gore's yards per attempt are .1 below Payton and the same as Dorsett, Faulk, Tomlinson, and Campbell. And slightly better than Thomas, Smith, Harris, Allen, Martin, Bettis, and Riggins.

title.