Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@TmbrWolf22 said:

@dfr52 said:
    I believe Urlacher has a first ballot resume but will have to wait a year because of Ray Lewis.

I agree. And Hopefully they both go in this year as Jason stated could happen.

I really hope so with the 5th spot being up for grabs (and I am not a Bears fan).

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

The closest comparison to Watt for me is Gale Sayers. Sayers made it into the HOF playing only 68 games and basically 5 seasons. Offensive vs defensive player might seem apples to oranges comparison but they had a similar level of dominance during their peak. Arguably Watt has been more dominant.

Robb

• JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

Will be interesting to see how they treat Watt once the voting gets underway for him..Best case he comes back and is dominant again so there is no discussion about it...I still put him closer in comparison to Tony Boselli and Terrell Davis than the Kansas Comet...Davis just got in, Boselli will eventually get in (i think he goes in this year) and Watt probably gets in even if he never play again...But first ballot like Gale Sayers? I just dont see that unless it is an extremely weak class on Watt's first try..

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Joe Thomas first ballot HOF? (even if he never plays another down?)

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely!

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thomas first ballot and one of the top 6-8 offensive lineman ever IMO.

@CSUrunandstun said:
    Joe Thomas first ballot HOF? (even if he never plays another down?)

Easy answer...Yes..Without a doubt...

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

We are sad to report that "Mr. Falcon", the great Tommy Nobis, has passed away at the age of 74. The 5-time Pro Bowl linebacker played eleven years for the team and is a member of their ring of honor.

Sad...Another HOF worthy player who will not be alive to get his due recognition.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Very sad
    Not sure if he will ever make the hall....but for sure never did get
    the due respect he deserved. So many linebackers on the senior list.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Modern day "borderline" HOFers just past or nearing the end of their careers (not on the registry).

Who makes it in?

Frank Gore
    Steve Smith Jr.
    Jason Peters
    Anquan Boudin
    Andre Johnson
    Terrell Suggs
    Phillip Rivers
    Brandon Marshall

I know I'm missing some. Merry Christmas!

• *Steve Smith Sr.

@sufferingbillsfan said:
    Modern day "borderline" HOFers just past or nearing the end of their careers (not on the registry).

Who makes it in?

Frank Gore
    Steve Smith Jr.
    Jason Peters
    Anquan Boudin
    Andre Johnson
    Terrell Suggs
    Phillip Rivers
    Brandon Marshall

I know I'm missing some. Merry Christmas!

This is how I would rank my top 10 of all active/retired players not currently on the Future HOF Set:

Patrick Peterson
    Ronde Barber
    Frank Gore
    Antonio Brown
    Jason Peters
    LeSean McCoy
    Philip Rivers
    Terrell Suggs
    Von Miller
    Darren Woodson

That being said, would only say the top 4 are at 50% or better HOF odds and even worthy of consideration to be added to the set at this point. Probably wouldn't only vote YES on the top 2, but would strongly consider 3 and 4.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

What is Antonio Brown’s registry rookie card?

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long thread, so I apologize if he's been discussed before. Larry Centers. Any thoughts about him being a viable HOF candidate? I'm just a follower of the thread, rarely post, a lot more knowledgeable folks here about the HOF than myself and I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions.

The only way Larry Centers gets in the HOF is by buying a ticket.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • @shagrotn77 said:

Great question and one that should definately be vetted here before someone submits him for the registry. The SP Authentic is an auto card. No Topps, Chrome, Finest etc.

Some options:

2010 Score # 307 Easy to find. Currently 131 PSA 10s and 9 PSA 9s.
    2010 Panini Rookies and Stars #173 Tough. Only 8 PSA 10s and 5 PSA 9s.
    2010 Panini Prestige #207 Tough. Only 12 PSA 10s and 5 PSA 9s.
    2010 Donruss Rated #6. 50 PSA 10s and 33 PSA 9s
    2010 Donruss Elite #111. Very tough. #'ed to 999. Only 1 PSA 10 and 12 PSA 9s. Best looking of the bunch IMO.

@sufferingbillsfan said:

@shagrotn77 said:

Great question and one that should definitely be vetted here before someone submits him for the registry. The SP Authentic is an auto card. No Topps, Chrome, Finest etc.

Some options:

2010 Donruss Elite #111. Very tough. #'ed to 999. Only 1 PSA 10 and 12 PSA 9s. Best looking of the bunch IMO.

I was leaning towards the Donruss Elite non-auto version. It meets the unofficial 999 minimum and, as you mentioned, it's a nice-looking card. If the values are all roughly the same, that card would get my vote.

@sufferingbillsfan said:

@shagrotn77 said:

Great question and one that should definately be vetted here before someone submits him for the registry. The SP Authentic is an auto card. No Topps, Chrome, Finest etc.

Some options:

Whichever card is the most valuable but meets the minimum standards. Tough to try and base it on looks, as no two collectors see a particular card the same..Kinda like women...lol

Class 0f 2018 HOF Finalists will be announced on Tuesday..Here are my predictions for the top 15...

Alan Faneca
    Brian Dawkins
    Brian Urlacher
    Don Coryell
    Isaac Bruce
    Joe Jacoby
    John Lynch
    Kevin Mawae
    Randy Moss
    Ray Lewis
    Richard Seymour
    Steve Hutchinson
    Terrell Owens
    Tony Boselli
    Ty Law

• Great question and one that should definately be vetted here before someone submits him for the registry. The SP Authentic is an auto card. No Topps, Chrome, Finest etc.

Some options:

Personally I like the Bowman Sterling card #44 you left off. Only 9 graded - 3 - 10's, 3-9's. Too bad the Panini Limited is /499 - probably his best non-auto card

• dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

@BillsGridironGreats said:

Some options:

Personally I like the Bowman Sterling card #44 you left off. Only 9 graded - 3 - 10's, 3-9's. Too bad the Panini Limited is /499 - probably his best non-auto card

Rookie & Stars and Elite have the products of choice when SP or Chrome were not options.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.

@JasP24 said:
    Class 0f 2018 HOF Finalists will be announced on Tuesday..Here are my predictions for the top 15...

Alan Faneca
    Brian Dawkins
    Brian Urlacher
    Don Coryell
    Isaac Bruce
    Joe Jacoby
    John Lynch
    Kevin Mawae
    Randy Moss
    Ray Lewis
    Richard Seymour
    Steve Hutchinson
    Terrell Owens
    Tony Boselli
    Ty Law

Missed on Coryell and Seymour, as they get replaced by Ed James and WOW Everson Walls out of nowhere in his final year eligible...

Not surprised to see James get votes as the top (only) RB...But Walls over say Roger Craig (also his final year eligible) and Coryell was a shocker. Coryell has fallen from making top 10 in 2016 to now out of the top 15. Sadly, this likely puts his HOF candidacy to rest for at least the next 4-5 years.

Also thought Seymour would get more play as such an important piece of the the early Patriots dynasty, much as Ty Law has gotten. With Seymour moving back in the line a bit, will be interesting to see what the voters do with him vs. Kevin Williams in a few years..

Only 87%, Jason? You're slipping! I gotta think Walls make the finalist list means he's either getting in this year, or he'll be a senior finalist in one of his first years of eligibility. This year is more wide open to me than the last several. My amateur guess:

Lewis
    Urlacher
    Jacoby
    Owens
    Walls

Going with Jacoby and Walls due to it being their last year of eligibility. Probably a slim shot that they both get in, but what the heck. While I think it would be absurd to leave Moss out, I thought the same thing about T.O. Honestly, the only finalist I would be shocked to see get in this year is Bruce given that Owens and Moss were both superior receivers. Should be an interesting vote. Can't wait!

FWIW On a poll at Rich Gosselin.com A poll question was which coach will be the next HOFer?
    90% said Tom Flores
    4% Coryell and all others below 2%.
    Could Walls pull a Fred Dean?

Walls was just up here in upstate NY (last week) at the Saratoga Racino signing autographs for free.
    He walked up to my wife's sister's husband who he saw wearing a Cowboys jacket and hat while he was playing the slots and asked if he wanted an auto..........They took pictures with him. They said he was super nice.....

Andy....what no seniors make it ??????

My guess:
    Moss
    Lewis
    boselli
    Urlacker
    Law My last choice
    both seniors

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

Here are my takes on early odds...

100% LOCK:
    Ray Lewis...This is no brainer, no discussion needed

80% Likely:
    Randy Moss...I believe we WILL get a WR this year, and of the 3 options Moss seems most likely. Certainly possible he gets the T.O. treatment, but I believe as one final dig at T.O. before he goes in next year, they put Moss in first ballot. His dominance via the eye test is simply unmatched among this years offensive skill players.

70% Likely:
    John Lynch...Lynch has made the cut to 10 the past 2 years, and is certain to gain induction at some point. With Brian Dawkins still on the board and Ed Reed and Polamalu coming up the next 2 years, I can see a strong push to get Lynch in this year and I think he makes it.

60% Likely:
    Tony Boselli...Got a huge push last year and just barely missed the top 5. He clearly moved past Jacoby and Faneca...As a dominant Left Tackle with a low number of games played, he follows Terrell Davis from last year and finally gets elected.

Kevin Mawae...Much like Boselli, he leapfrogged both Jacoby and Faneca last year and I see no reason for that to change. With 5 OL in the final 15, I believe we will see an OT and an interior OL go in this year. I see Mawae as the most likely interior guy.

40% Likely:
    Brian Urlacher...If Ray Lewis wasn't on the ballot I would have Urlacher much higher and likely being a first ballot inductee. I think it's still possible he goes in with Ray, but I just don't see the committee doing it on 2 first ballot guys at the same positions..Too big of a backlog at OL and WR and DB...

Brain Dawkins...Made the cut to 10 last year but split votes with Lynch..Could happen again, and they both end up missing the final cut, but even more likely the committee clears some space at DB for upcoming candidates and puts both of these Safeties in...I doubt it happens, but just as good odds as them doing it with Urlacher.

30% Likely:
    Terrell Owens...Love him or hate him, he put up HOF numbers and was a HOF performer on the game tape...But he's simply disliked by most media and by many former players/coaches/GMs...Maybe he overcomes it when they start comparing him (favorably) to Moss..I don't see a path that he goes in OVER Moss, but they could end up putting two WRs in.

Ty Law...Final guy I will list from last years cut down to 10..I think he yet again will just barely miss the cut, Maybe he leapfrogs Lynch and Dawkins (who may split votes again), but not great odds of that happening.

20% Likely:
    Alan Faneca...I think he makes the cut to 10 this year, paving his path to entry following Boselli and Mawae (ahead of Hutchinson). Tough to see him leapfrogging Boselli and/or Mawae.

Steve Hutchinson...His first time on the ballot, its tough to determine where he will fall in the OL HOF line...Longshot for him to leapfrog these other candidates, but he does have the resume to do so. Will be interesting to see where his votes fall vs. Faneca (both Guards).

Joe Jacoby...Final year on the ballot, he's clearly lost support last year falling out of the top 10 behind Boselli...Boselli was clearly more dominant over the shorter period. Maybe they feel bad for Jacoby, but the precedent for final year eligible finalists, is they fall to the senior pool...Kuechenberg, Gradishar, LC Greenwood, Cliff Harris, Jim Marshall, etc...

Everson Walls...Same as above...Most likely helps Walls case as a Senior candidate, he won't get quite as lost in the fray there now...But seeing him leapfrog the others ahead of him on the list wuld be even more shocking than the fact that he made it to 15...He is borderline deserving however, and maybe the committee gets a good enough look at him in the room during the meeting that he steals a spot. Not likely, but certainly possible

10% Likely:
    Isaac Bruce...His only path this year is that the debate of Moss v. T.O. ends up splitting enough votes/voters that Bruce slips in

0% Likely:
    Edgerrin James...James will at some point be elected, but with two RBs last year and such a strong class of first ballot guys I see zero path for James for this class.

@jay0791 said:
    FWIW On a poll at Rich Gosselin.com A poll question was which coach will be the next HOFer?
    90% said Tom Flores
    4% Coryell and all others below 2%.
    Could Walls pull a Fred Dean?

Walls was just up here in upstate NY (last week) at the Saratoga Racino signing autographs for free.
    He walked up to my wife's sister's husband who he saw wearing a Cowboys jacket and hat while he was playing the slots and asked if he wanted an auto..........They took pictures with him. They said he was super nice.....

Andy....what no seniors make it ??????

My guess:
    Moss
    Lewis
    boselli
    Urlacker
    Law My last choice
    both seniors

And yes, both Seniors get in, probably Bethard too.

edited February 1, 2018 2:04PM

My final predictions on Saturday's HOF vote:

Ray Lewis
    Randy Moss
    John Lynch
    Tony Boselli
    Brian Dawkins

Feel pretty confident in the top 4....5th modern spot seems up for grabs, but sounding more and more like we gonna get either Two Safeties or Two WRs (Owens with Moss).

I believe both Seniors and Contributor will be elected..Its always somewhat surprising when they don't...

What do you think Urlacher's chances are?

@shagrotn77 said:
    What do you think Urlacher's chances are?

This year, maybe 30% he takes that 5th spot....Next year 99.999%...I fully expect him to make the cut to 10 Saturday, but I think he's not going to compare very favorably to Ray Ray which will lose him votes there...Similar to what usually happens with 2nd players at same position..Half the voters pick one, half pick the other neither ends up in the top 5 vote getters..

It does seem like so much of the chatter from the media/voters this year has to do with the comparisons and amount of players at same positions, we are going to get a couple again like we did last year at RB...If not Lynch and Dawkins then Boselli and Mawae, or with so much talk on T.O. maybe he and Moss together...

IMO, Lynch and Dawkins are the guys that seem to compare most favorably to each other, and with Polomalu and Reed coming up the next 2 years, the room makes a concerted effort to get those guys in. Just my hypothesis..I'm usually shocked by one of the modern picks every year (2 last year Davis and Andersen)

Looks like:
    Moss
    TO
    Urlacher
    Dawkins
    Lewis
    Kramer
    Brazile

Unconfirmed.

I can confirm the 5 moderns you have here were the final 5 who went to yes/no vote.

I knew they would double down on a position, but two position? WOW

Pro Football Hall of Fame class is Randy Moss, Brian Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Brian Dawkins, Terrell Owens, Jerry Kramer, Robert Brazile and Bobby Beathard.

OFFICIAL

Tony Boselli, T
    Kevin Mawae, C
    Alan Faneca, G
    Steve Hutchinson, G

All 4 of these guys made the cut to 10, this explains the lack of OL in the final 5..Fully expect 2 of them to go in next year along with 3 first ballot guys..Gonzalez, Reed, Champ...

Seems bundling a couple of players per position will become the new norm..lol

It's too bad Lynch didn't make it because there's no way in hell he goes in with Reed and Bailey next year. Hopefully this cements his induction in 2020.

Congrats to all new HOFers

Ok any guesses to next years senior candidates???

Ill go with L C Greenwood last of the star power on dynasty teams

and some other guy not on the senior rc set

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

@shagrotn77 said:
    It's too bad Lynch didn't make it because there's no way in hell he goes in with Reed and Bailey next year. Hopefully this cements his induction in 2020.

I think this pushes Lynch back a few years,,Here are the only HOF Finalists who made the cut to 10 and then fell BACK to not making the cut to 10 since they started using the process in 2008.

-Cris Carter..He got elected 3 years after falling out of top 10
    -Don Coryell..Still not elected, wasn't even a finalist this year
    -Bob Kuechenberg..Still not elected, now in the Senior pool
    -Joe Jacoby..Still not elected, now in the Senior Pool

Carter made the top 10 cut twice, then failed to make it twice before moving back up and finally getting elected.

So really the only comparison is Carter...Ed Reed up next year, Polomalu up in 2020, I don't see Lynch going in until 2021 at the earliest now...Then again, with the influx of relatively new HOF voters the last couple of years (most are younger) its getting harder to predict what exactly they are thinking,

@jay0791 said:
    Congrats to all new HOFers

Ok any guesses to next years senior candidates???

Ill go with L C Greenwood last of the star power on dynasty teams

and some other guy not on the senior rc set

We only get ONE Senior Finalist next year..I will guess that it wont be a LB or an OL, nor a Packer or an Oiler...lol

Would love to see Greenwood but he hasnt gotten much support since his first year or two in the Senior pool...DL or DB probably very good odds though.

• Have a bunch of HOF RCs for sale on Buy and Sell Forums - new ones added today. Dawson, Marchetti, Tunnell, Blanda, Mix, Staubach and many more Mid and high grade.
    Thanks for looking.

• DEFPOTECDEFPOTEC Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Already counting down to the senior committee nominee announcement in August. Just one this year, right? Any hunches? Personally hoping it Al Wistert or Johnny Robinson.

@DEFPOTEC said:
    Already counting down to the senior committee nominee announcement in August. Just one this year, right? Any hunches? Personally hoping it Al Wistert or Johnny Robinson.

Yes sir, just one this year. I'm with you on Johnny Robinson. I know he is getting a nice push, too. Fingers crossed.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if Robinson was the candidate. I believe he was once before.
    Unfortunately the old time guys worthy or not are getting lost in the sauce.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • TmbrWolf22TmbrWolf22 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice the Fight for Old DC Berry thats listed on Ebay?....any thoughts or concerns?

@TmbrWolf22 said:
    Anyone notice the Fight for Old DC Berry thats listed on Ebay?....any thoughts or concerns?

Nice card. Auction appears legit. Price is absolutely laughable.

You guys think small.

You will earn $100.00 in EBAY bucks. !!!!

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

This exact card sold by Mintstate on 9/23/2012 for $7300.00

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

I guess my thought on this card is that it has the new flip. Wasn't that set pedigreed before the new flips came out?....

The seller noted that the card was recently reholdered. The pedigree remains on the flip on reholders.

I guess that answers that question for me. I didnt know that the pedigree would stay. But that answer leads me to the question.......WHY? Unless the slab was damaged somehow, whats the point in doing that?

Back to FB stuff

Now that Whitten is retired...is he a HOFer?????

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say yes.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph